• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

I'm willing to wager that anyone bitching about this or even suggesting that they're going to cancel their 'preorder' had no intention of getting the game in the first place.

Gaming side since the 2013 console announcements has been total trash. I don't care if I get banned for saying it, because it's true. Yes, it's okay to want games to be full 1080p on your new $400 dollar console. No, it's not okay to dismiss and trash entire games because they don't meet your arbitrary standard that is rarely met by either console anyway. The game still looks great and a hell of a lot better than it did before. Which you know, was the point of the remaster in the first place.

Fucking ridiculous some of the reactions I've read about this. You'd think that 343i and Microsoft were charging 100 dollars for the one campaign and murdered their pets or something.
This probably sounds bitter but daylight savings has screwed up my sleeping patten and I'm very tired and ranty
Yes! I'm just comforted to know that there are other people who also find the reactions a bit overdone. Not that my own reactions aren't sometimes equally overdone.

It's funny because those people will still buy, play and enjoy the hell out of the game. I had brought up a few points myself, but then I thought why, why even bring up negativity when I'm still happy as hell for this game/collection. I think we just have a propensity now to try and find the bad in the good and go wild.

I shouldn't have even mentioned numbers. I don't care about the ultimate numbers. It didn't matter when Halo 3 was 640p, it won't matter if Halo 5 is 900p. For me, being that I've played the original Halo 2 campaign enough, I'd rather have had the best image possible, than the instant switch feature and simultaneous running of the OG campaign. I'm sure the H2A campaign will blow me away, but I can't help having this little thing wondering whether it would have been better to sacrifice the switching feature. Ultimately it doesn't matter, the game has it, the resolution is 1328x1080 and launches in 4 weeks. I do think GAF has become obsessed with the arbitrary numbers though.
No you're totally cool. You were expressing your preference and not an ultimatum, which i more than respect. It's the ultimatum attitude that is the most frustrating thing to read.
I think the problem is that people seem to be taking resolution as the only measure of graphical quality. To many people it seems like it's either 1080p or it looks like an awful blurry mess. Which is clearly not true. I've seen so many comments saying that they refuse to buy a game because it hasn't reached 1080p. It's become a ridiculous black mark on games imo.

From the footage we saw, the H2A campaign looks pretty great. And the multiplayer looks even better, and that's running at 1080p. So I don't really understand the complaining.

You sure that wasn't because you were playing against bad players?
Agreed.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Hooked up my OG xbox last night and played some halo 2. A few observations: The OG Xbox S controller is larger than i remember. It is crazy how amazing the Xbox One controller is. After playing Destiny for 3 weeks, I can't count the number of times I tried to sprint in Halo 2. Also there are no bumpers on the old controller. That made it comical.

willow ve

I'm not saying that the Falcon is bad, I'm saying getting 100 kills with it is due to an incompetent enemy.

Yep. 100+ kills with any vehicle is due to an incompetent mess of an opposing team. Even in the height of the crazy Banshee backflips (where certain animations made it so your own player model couldn't actually tell where the Banshee was - ergo you simply could not shoot it) a team who has DMRs and/or a single Sniper can take out a flying vehicle.

I mean, come on - were they just spawning and running into an open field? Not a single player on the other team thought "hey, let's just camp in this base with a shotgun and wait"?

Fuchsdh

Still have a bunch of 360 Spartan Assault achievements I need to get polished off. The combat challenges ones are just grindy annoyances. Anyone have the 360 version who needs to do co-op?

Nebula

At one point in the future I was hoping to go into game development. Seeing shit like this though puts me off the entire idea though.

Madness

At one point in the future I was hoping to go into game development. Seeing shit like this though puts me off the entire idea though.

You'd think it would be getting death threats due to weapon nerfs that would tell you this industry isn't worth the headache at times.

On an unrelated note, I wonder what BigShow and Booshka and Funknown have to say about this:

"Halo: CE's multiplayer maps are the PC versions of the maps due to resolution, but their settings, such as spawn points, are set to make them play exactly as the original Xbox versions (i.e. the Banshee won't be on Blood Gulch)."

Akai__

There is lots of hate out there, but that shouldn't prevent you from doing what you would like to do. Always keep in mind that haters are the minority. What really matters is good feedback, that you will get from your community/fans.

I know devs are human beings, too, but some of them really should learn to ignore all the hate.

dwells

I'm willing to wager that anyone bitching about this or even suggesting that they're going to cancel their 'preorder' had no intention of getting the game in the first place.

Fucking ridiculous some of the reactions I've read about this. You'd think that 343i and Microsoft were charging 100 dollars for the one campaign and murdered their pets or something.
This probably sounds bitter but daylight savings has screwed up my sleeping patten and I'm very tired and ranty

I'm purchasing an Xbox One solely for the Master Chief Collection. I pretty much don't game at all anymore, but I'm going to buy a new console just so I can play Halo online against a decent population again.

I'm also one of the people very disappointed by the resolution of H2A, as well as other graphical issues we've seen thus far. When a game is initially pitched and marketed as "1080p, 60 frames a second" at its reveal, it's reasonable to be disappointed when that doesn't wind up being the case (even if it was silently "corrected" later on).

One of the primary reasons for a remake/remaster is visual improvements, so it's disappointing to see shortcomings in the resolution department. Especially when an obscure resolution like 1328x1080 is picked over a less demanding but better scaling resolution (1280x1080).

It is in fact possible to be both a fan of the series and critical of it simultaneously.

Tawpgun

ADS in Halo would be the nail in the coffin for me too. I hope 343 realizes that as far as mainline Halo games go, ADS goes against some very core principles of the game.

I think the furthest they can push it is it truly being cosmetic only, even then we'd get some bigass gun blocking our screen. But if they take away hip fire accuracy and/or slow down movement while aiming.... RIP

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a spinoff game having ADS. I was actually disappointed that Halo ODST played exactly like regular Halo except for gimped mobility somewhat.

ADS in Halo is a nail in the coffin that was started to be built by modern elements.

I don't think people think it through all the way.

What happens when you're shot while scoped? You are descoped.

What happens when you're shot while ADS? You flinch.

So now instead of a mechanic that only hinders a player's effective range, we get a mechanic that makes it impossible to aim where you want. You can still land shots where you were aiming while descoped and you can immediately scope back in if you need to. You can NOT still land shots where you were aiming while you are flinching and you have to wait for your aim to stop siezuring before you can shoot effectively again.

Flinch is the Armor Lock of aiming.

Madness

Should be posted here. Just what a difference in Halo 4 alone with this collection.

qjd0Ko6.png

tbYDdsh.png

I'm actually somewhat excited to play through Halo 4 again just to see the changes. I would have loved if they fixed the ammo issue, was one of the big things that impacted enjoyment of the campaign and even multiplayer. But man, those prometheans on legendary, yikes!

did they ever explain why they made weapons/ammo disappear in Halo 4

cuz that sucked ass. Like, its bad enough I'm fighting these annoying bullet spongy enemies with boring weapons accompanied by poorly mixed musical score, but now I'm running out of ammo all the time too.

Akai__

cuz that sucked ass. Like, its bad enough I'm fighting these annoying bullet spongy enemies with boring weapons accompanied by poorly mixed musical score, but now I'm running out of ammo all the time too.

One of the last panels had that question, iirc. They basically said it was a design choice, not a hardware limitation. Still pretty weird, that weapons despawn in ~ 12 seconds.

One of the last panels had that question, iirc. They basically said it was a design choice, not a hardware limitation. Still pretty weird, that weapons despawn in ~ 12 seconds.

12 second weapon despawn is the lipo suction made necessary by the gluttony of personal ordnance drops.

Madness

Barrow Roll was the one who asked the question. Apparently it was because of Infinity and how, due to the ability of personal ordnance to also drop power weapons, they didn't want a ton of sniper rifles, rocket launchers laying around in addition to regular map spawns. Don't know how much truth there is to this. I don't know why they'd do it for campaign? Maybe to make it more of a challenge, but on hardcore and legendary it got pretty bad running out of ammo and having to fight enemies who can shoot from long distances or teleport at random coupled with their ridiculous health.

Resolution debates should go look at this site. I know that H2:A isn't quite 900p, but darn close. This site shows clearly that 900p isn't ugly or even very noticeable compared to 1080p...and I'm sitting darn close to my monitor. A TV experience would even be less noticeable.

Source:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dualshockers+1080p+vs+900p

EDIT: For some reason Gaf is blocking that site...had to use "let me google that for you"

TheOddOne

Like Ragnarok Flames said. It was to counter the Infinity system, because now everybody can get power weapons and the overabundance of it would create more chaos. I get that for multiplayer, but for singleplayer it makes very little sense.

ADS in Halo is a nail in the coffin that was started to be built by modern elements.

ADS discussion in the Halo OT always makes me nervous.

Pls no ADS ever in Halo

ADS in Halo 5 being discussed behind the scenes? Frankie testing the water? Pseudo confirmation, someone Kontaktu.

Obligatory H2gre strim.

I have to be honest, If Halo 5 has ADS I will not buy it. Not out of some kind of childish protest, because to me it will no longer be Halo.

dwells

Are we still talking about ADS in Halo? Keep that shit out, even if it's cosmetic.

Agreed. Halo has already been gradually losing its identity as an attempt to broaden appeal at the expense of the core gameplay. We don't need ADS further taking Halo away from its roots.

Woorloog

Banned
I might be fine with ADS in some Halo-spinoff (eg some game where you play as a Marine) but Halo proper... no, just no to ADS.
But i'd imagine 343i realizes that it would be a too big change for Halo and won't do it. Hopefully.

(I've realized i don't like shooters with ADS anymore actually, i tried to play BFBC2 and... well, very disappointed i no longer find it fun. And my biggest issue with Destiny was the damn ADS gameplay. Didn't like it in the beta at all.)

ElRenoRaven

I don't really care either.

Yup. General went to shit when this gen started. I mean you had people go insane and lose it when Microsoft helped Bungie bring Destiny up to 1080p 30fps to be on par with PS4. They viewed it as Sony and MS trying to screw Sony and other crazy shit. There is so much more to a damn game then the resolution. Sadly a lot of people don't realize that.

Does any other shooter feature descope in the same way Halo does?

I just did a google search and couldn't find a single one. ADS would make this great feature seem hokey to me. *lifts weapon up to eye level, gets shot, immediately brings weapon back down*

Descoping is a big reason why ADS wouldn't work correctly. I can't think of a good solution. I seriously doubt the mass majority of sales would get lost because Halo does things differently.

Counter strike does it similarly and it's massively popular and won't go away. Halo shouldn't be ashamed of itself nor should devs feel pressure to be like other games.

Ramirez

The most impressive thing about that Falcon game is that you managed to get a bunch of kids in BTB to stick around that long.

Sephzilla

ADS in a game where you're playing as a Spartan shouldn't happen simply because that's not Halo plus if you go by Halo lore it's kind of unnecessary since their suits handle all of the ADS related stuff for them. If we'd ever get another ODST game I'd be more okay with ADS stuff being present in those since you're a regular human. But yeah, keep ADS out of my mainline Halo games.

Woorloog

Banned
Holy fuck. I forgot about Paradise and that god dang hill top.

That shit had two tanks and two banshees.

One team kills the other tank and banshee, proceeds to base-camp and then takes the enemy tank and banshee when they respawn.
At least, that's how i remember the map playing out...

Fotos

What are the chances that we get a demo before release? Please 343 I just need some real Halo on the XB1. Just make it Team Slayer on Sanctuary. That's all I need.

Top Bottom