• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

They should have a Revenge of Personal Ordnance skull that causes weapons to despawn after 35 seconds to a minute after they've been dropped by the player or enemies. The better the weapon, the quicker it disappears.

dwells

Yep. Best gameplay, modes, and map selection.

Halo 2 ranked BTB was amazing once you got up into the high-30s. So much coordination and teamwork. Getting everyone in sync and keeping callouts and chatter at a level that allowed all eight members of a team to communicate without talking over each other was actually pretty hard. You had to find that careful balance between communicating as much information as possible but also not flooding the chat. Lots of leadership in assigning people to certain roles at certain times, and it was a necessity to know everyone's strengths and weaknesses on each map and then optimize team strategy accordingly.

Good times.

m23

What are the chances that we get a demo before release? Please 343 I just need some real Halo on the XB1. Just make it Team Slayer on Sanctuary. That's all I need.

No way we will get a demo. I don't even remember if a Halo game ever had a demo, not counting betas.

Sephzilla

Halo 2 ranked BTB was amazing once you got up into the high-30s. So much coordination and teamwork. Getting everyone in sync and keeping callouts and chatter at a level that allowed all eight members of a team to communicate without talking over each other was actually pretty hard. You had to find that careful balance between communicating as much information as possible but also not flooding the chat. Lots of leadership in assigning people to certain roles at certain times, and it was a necessity to know everyone's strengths and weaknesses on each map and then optimize team strategy accordingly.

Good times.

I remember being stuck in level 27 BTB limbo for the longest time. I remember lots of people on Bungie.net back in the day describing that as "the hump"

dwells

I remember being stuck in level 27 BTB limbo for the longest time. I remember lots of people on Bungie.net back in the day describing that as "the hump"

It was all about having the right people to play with. There were only a handful of good BTB squads, as there wasn't a ton of overlap between the "highly competitive, skilled and organized" player set and the "I like BTB" player set.

Sephzilla

It was all about having the right people to play with. There were only a handful of good BTB squads, as there wasn't a ton of overlap between the "highly competitive, skilled and organized" player set and the "I like BTB" player set.

Yeah, that stuff made a huge difference. I like to think I'm in both of those player sets you mentioned, but I was usually that guy who was #1 or #2 on the losing team too often (or I died a ton because I was the only guy actually going for the objective).

gAg CruSh3r

Good times.

Awe yes those where good times. I personally think party chat killed this experience :/. I actually enjoyed when everyone gets involved and communicate with each other.

Yeah, that stuff made a huge difference. I like to think I'm in both of those player sets you mentioned, but I was usually that guy who was #1 or #2 on the losing team too often (or I died a ton because I was the only guy actually going for the objective).

That was me too. When it's a objective gametype I don't care about K/D in the game. If anyone was in my way I would destroy them.
I was also one of those players that would take the time to stay out of the enemies view to ambush them. It worked most of the time too lol.

Okay so the gaming Halo thread right now depresses me. Developers are limited by what the console can offer. If the console can't offer 1080p while running two engines simultaneously, but can still make it look really nice and have it around 900p what's the big deal. Especially for all this content, it's just so ungrateful it makes me sad.

If people care about those numbers so much then become a PC gamer where those particulars are more important/meaningful to the experience depending on your own hardware.

The more I'm exposed of this world the more depressing it is.

Sephzilla

Okay so the gaming Halo thread right now depresses me. Developers are limited by what the console can offer. If the console can't offer 1080p while running two engines simultaneously, but can still make it look really nice and have it around 900p what's the big deal. Especially for all this content, it's just so ungrateful it makes me sad.

If people care about those numbers so much then become a PC gamer where those particulars are more important/meaningful to the experience depending on your own hardware.

The more I'm exposed of this world the more depressed I get.

I cant understand why so many people are getting their undies twisted about the H2A-Campaign wont be at full 1080p. Literally everything else in the game is 1080/60 including the H2A multiplayer (which in the long run will get more use anyway). It's like getting a brand new sexy looking car and complaining that the headlights aren't flashy enough.

I cant understand why so many people are getting their undies twisted about the H2A-Campaign wont be at full 1080p. Literally everything else in the game is 1080/60 including the H2A multiplayer (which in the long run will get more use anyway). It's like getting a brand new sexy looking car and complaining that the headlights aren't flashy enough.

Why not just buy some headlight fluid?

-Ryn

Banned
For me it's always gameplay > graphics. Great aesthetics can always make up for that.

ADS only being an animation is... acceptable I think. As long as it still functions the same (and I mean exactly the same).

At one point in the future I was hoping to go into game development. Seeing shit like this though puts me off the entire idea though.
Follow your dreams and do what you love dude. Don't let a bunch of inconsequential asshats prevent you from doing what you want to do.

It is in fact possible to be both a fan of the series and critical of it simultaneously.
You're preaching to the choir. However there is a difference between being critical and just being an unpleasable shit.
Not that I'm saying you're being one. While it doesn't bother me personally I get being disappointed in the res being lower than what it was originally stated to be.

Yeah man it's so maddening. I remember that the PS3 was technically the superior console in terms of sheer power, but for whatever reason a lot of games didn't look as good as the 360 counterpart.

I "suffered" through the lower res/lower texture/lower framerate Read Dead Redemption. Probably the best "suffering" I have ever had. It's not like H2:A will feel unpolished or look like a blurry mess.

I hope this kind of rudeness by gamers doesn't affect the dev's morale and affect their days negatively.

Nebula

Yeah man it's so maddening. I remember that the PS3 was technically the superior console in terms of sheer power, but for whatever reason a lot of games didn't look as good as the 360 counterpart.

I "suffered" through the lower res/lower texture/lower framerate Read Dead Redemption. Probably the best "suffering" I have ever had. It's not like H2:A will feel unpolished or look like a blurry mess.

I hope this kind of rudeness by gamers doesn't affect the dev's morale and affect their days negatively.

PS3 was a bitch to develop for.

-Ryn

Banned

If they have any sense at all (and they obviously do) it won't.

Even if the 60FPS and 1080p updates weren't a thing I wouldn't be any less stoked. I loved the games before and I still do. The sexy paint is great though.

Madness

PS3 had the Cell processor and the weird 256 mb ram limitation. It wasn't until the very end of the gen that devs actually utilized the PS3 strengths. And even then, Xbox 360 was lead platform because it was easy to develop for, and was almost as powerful. Look how bad Skyrim ran on PS3. But with Xbox One, you do have a weaker console that is actually a bit tougher to work with. You'll only see the gap grow. I doubt we'll see a single multiplatform game that will look worse on PS4 than Xbox One this gen.

dwells

1. Search ranked playlist alone.
  2. Carry team with one of the best games of your life.
  3. Lose anyway because your teammates went negative thirty and apparently received their ranks from the sympathy fairy.
Awe yes those where good times. I personally think party chat killed this experience :/. I actually enjoyed when everyone gets involved and communicate with each other.
Party chat absolutely killed the social aspect of online games where you collaborate with strangers and make friends. Don't get me wrong, I like party chat because it lets me talk to my friends (staying in touch with my old friends is about 90% of the reason I even bother playing games these days). But I definitely do miss the Halo 2 days. I hope the ranked playlists have forced game chat and proximity chat.

Oh wow, of all the examples you could've picked out of a hat, that's by far the most amusing one. As my posts show, I'm not happy about the Halo 2 resolution issue. I also happen to have a BMW E92 headlight that I've baked open and am in the process of modifying...

68HAQTs.jpg

hPl6PrD.jpg

Yeah I heard that too and cringed. Who the hell has been watching Halo 2 Anniversary tournaments featuring pros and thinking the combat is slow or not modern? Apparently crawling, going prone, or moving like a snail when aiming down sights is fast. But jumping while throwing grenades and shooting is slow.

I'm guessing the only reason they say slow is because it's not sprint, and doesn't have that quick ADS kill time.

Agreed...This Halo is not modern talk is bullshit..Can someone tell me WTF is modern?

Mix

The Halo Channel really looks amazing in motion. It's unreal how far they've come from Halo Waypoint and it gets me pumped up to see what will happen to the website in a couple weeks.

singhr1

Dam that Halo Channel footage. :)

A few things to note from the video:
  1. SOME unlocks in Halo 5 Beta will carry over to full release.
  2. You will be able to unlock things for MCC and Halo 5 beta by watching/interacting with content on the Halo Channel.
  3. Halo Channel will be first on Xbox One, Web, and Windows. Later on iOS and Android (maybe).
  4. Tight e-sport integration.

PS3 had the Cell processor and the weird 256 mb ram limitation. It wasn't until the very end of the gen that devs actually utilized the PS3 strengths. And even then, Xbox 360 was lead platform because it was easy to develop for, and was almost as powerful. Look how bad Skyrim ran on PS3. But with Xbox One, you do have a weaker console that is actually a bit tougher to work with. You'll only see the gap grow. I doubt we'll see a single multiplatform game that will look worse on PS4 than Xbox One this gen.

You'd be surprised.

Havoc2049

Kids will be kids. Don't pay any attention to them.

kinda underwhelming walkthrough

It's just a shiny platform to display and unlock things. It's actually really neat when you think about it applied. The fact that they have a lot of the Halo lore on display and give you the incentive to look at it by unlocks is great. If I had one major complaint about Halo is the back stories and lore weren't very accessible unless you looked for it.

Top Bottom