• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

They'd look nice without the honeycombing all over them to me.

Looks better here. Shinier.

Halo-2-Anniversary-Zanzibar-Screenshot-2.jpg

Probably Halo 4 announcer placeholder audio. Might have been easier to slap in Ball Thrown instead of Ball Dropped, work in progress, etc.

That's not the case because it has "Ball dropped!" being said throughout the video. I think the game recognizes when you purposely launch the ball away from you and thus, "Ball thrown!" In fact after watching it over and over it looks like throwing might be a dedicated button (probably not)? It just seems to fly out of the guys hands in a high arc and afterwards is killed. It happens at the 50-52 second mark. If you stop and start you can see him launch it and it goes a bit higher maybe because of a grenade.

Booshka

That's not the case because it has "Ball dropped!" being said throughout the video. I think the game recognizes when you purposely launch the ball away from you and thus, "Ball thrown!" In fact after watching it over and over it looks like throwing might be a dedicated button? It just seems to fly out of the guys hands in a high arc and afterwards is killed.

Interesting...

Good point, wasn't paying attention, hopefully there will be a Ball Fumbled announcement as an homage to the infamous Fumbleayame back in the day MLG Halo 2.

You could always get that high arc on the Oddball by looking up and jumping, then dropping it at the peak of your jump for the farthest throw.

CyReN

That's not the case because it has "Ball dropped!" being said throughout the video. I think the game recognizes when you purposely launch the ball away from you and thus, "Ball thrown!" In fact after watching it over and over it looks like throwing might be a dedicated button (probably not)? It just seems to fly out of the guys hands in a high arc and afterwards is killed. It happens at the 50-52 second mark. If you stop and start you can see him launch it and it goes a bit higher maybe because of a grenade.

Hope it just leftover code or something, would suck for competitive if people really want to do H2A tourneys.

Woorloog

Banned
Real time reflections on the visor would be sweet, but the resources dedicated to achieving that could be spent elsewhere (on cooler things) methinks.

Yeah, i know.
Doesn't stop me from wanting them though.
Halo 3 PC version would solve that, i reckon. Not that i'd ever see the effect though (i rarely, if every use theater mode in any Halo).

dwells

The overly aggressive FXAA in H2A MP that was contributing to heavy blur appears to have been toned down a good deal in the latest batch of screenshots. Yay!

Hope it just leftover code or something, would suck for competitive if people really want to do H2A tourneys.

looks like we are okay. I think it's based on it's trajectory and/or distance to surface impact making it a throw vs a normal drop. He looks to simply "drop" it from the lift, but since it's high up it's considered a throw. Kind of cool if it makes that distinction. If someone "plays the ball" in Lockdown you will know from the announcer someone threw it off the ledge sooner than just "dropping" it.

Made this quick GIF:
1rBqIgE.gif

looks like we are okay. I think it's based on it's trajectory and/or distance to surface impact making it a throw vs a normal drop. He looks to simply "drop" it from the lift, but since it's high up it's considered a throw. Kind of cool if it makes that distinction. If someone "plays the ball" in Lockdown you will know from the announcer someone threw it off the ledge sooner than just "dropping" it.

Made this quick GIF:
1rBqIgE.gif

That looks like a throw from Halo 4 in my opinion.

You got a picture of Nexuiz :p

That game was alright.

Yeah, it's placeholder. I loved that the aesthetic was basically HD Metroid Prime Hunters meets Halo Reach with a more oriental-spacepunk theme though.

I could never figure out how to properly use the Jetpack.

I didn't play enough of 4 to know there was such a thing. Dang =P

Just watched a vid of 343 showing oddball throwing. Did it devastate the oddball gameplay? On paper and demonstration it looks like fun.

Honestly yeah, it ruined oddball for me personally. I don't know how others feel about it.

TheOddOne

The overly aggressive FXAA in H2A MP that was contributing to heavy blur appears to have been toned down a good deal in the latest batch of screenshots. Yay!
Respawn folk chimed in on your post:
Unless the Xbox One GPU violates the rules of scaling algorithms or has some sort of horribly inefficient workflow, that doesn't make any sense. Given that it's a standard AMD 7xxx scaler baked into the GPU, there's no reason it would be different than how things work over the in the land of digital video mastering and scaling.

An even 3:2 scale ratio is better for IQ than a resolution which doesn't scale evenly. Especially when said resolution only offers 48 additional horizontal pixels, which absolutely are not going to give any sort of perceptible gain in detail.
Having spent quite a bit of time testing various resolutions and scaling during development I can assure you its not the same.

Granted, the bump is probably imperceptible to 99.99% of people - buts its probably just the highest resolution the math would bear out for keeping the GPU from bottlenecking performance.
In case you missed it.

For me it's always gameplay > graphics. Great aesthetics can always make up for that.

ADS only being an animation is... acceptable I think. As long as it still functions the same (and I mean exactly the same).

The question would be then, why make a change just to make a change? I mean do we really think not having ADS is preventing people from buying or playing Halo?

Sprinting, ADS, unlocks tied to career progression.

All which are anti-Halo.

AlStrong

Looks very "matte finish" to be sure...

So why does the blue Spartan's look more glossy and reflective?

The gloss disappears with dynamic lighting (i.e. the skull fire in this case) for some reason.

The FXAA shader is tweakable (different between PS360 & PC), but from what I can tell, it looks somewhat close to 3.11.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like we are getting the Halo 4 styled medals and that they aren't placeholders.

xxBjrNH.png
Yeah, this is a big disappointment. Obviously it's just cosmetic stuff and won't ruin the game, but still, eww. I really hope they bring back the classic medals (and classic Steitzer!) in Halo 5.

Yeah, this is a big disappointment. Obviously it's just cosmetic stuff and won't ruin the game, but still, eww. I really hope they bring back the classic medals (and classic Steitzer!) in Halo 5.

I honestly preferred the smaller ones in H4. Sure they didn't look as flashy, but took up less screenspace. The problem was there were too many medals (IIRC)

Yeah I'm not a huge fan. It makes the armor look crappy and cheap.

I think it's because of that awkward glow that everything has. H4 had it in place too. Looks like the spartans are straight up glowing like angels on pieces of their armor. It cheapens their ruggedness.

H3:
Cease-fire-h3.jpg

VS H2:A
press-tour-2014-halo-2-anniversary-zanzibar-watch-the-corners-696835d809864d5aa7bb38fcdbb480f8.jpg

-Ryn

Banned
I think it's because of that awkward glow that everything has. H4 had it in place too. Looks like the spartans are straight up glowing like angels on pieces of their armor. It cheapens their ruggedness.
Angels are super badass. They blow up stuff with giant cross explosions and rainbows. This is more like hard candy with a light shining behind it or something. One is tastier but one is cooler.

The question would be then, why make a change just to make a change? I mean do we really think not having ADS is preventing people from buying or playing Halo?

All which are anti-Halo.
No I don't. I don't really like ADS either and I hate change for the sake of change.
However if it HAS to be added in, this is the only way I can think of that would work without screwing a fundamental part of Halo. As long as I don't have to stick a rifle butt up my nose whenever I need to scope in and it operates the same as always I can live with it.

dwells

Yeah, I seriously don't understand the medal dilution. If you hand out a medal for every little thing, it stops making them special and interesting - it defeats the whole purpose.

I don't understand why there aren't dedicated no-scope and quick-scope medals for the sniper rifles (things people have been requesting), but there's a medal for tons of little stuff no one cares about. I also don't understand why they redefined the medals in Halo 3 and onward, either.

A running riot is ten kills in a row, and four kills at once is a killtacular, dammit. Why did kill frenzy have to be changed from "at once" medal to a streak medal?

Boggles the mind.

When you think about it, it's a pretty fucking metal gametype for Spartans to be running around earning points for tossing around a flaming skull.

Hexagons continuing to "ruin" sci-fi, Flipyap would turn in his non-quite-dead-at-all grave.

It's rumored Halo 3's art direction alone sent Flipyap into a blind rage for 16 straight hours.

It's funny, I've heard McCaffrey make non-Xbox platform references in the MCC videos over the past few days, which honestly kind of lessens the "This is pr filtered through IGN" feeling that the IGN First platform gives off.
It's also just weird though. I guess he lacks the roguish tone to make it charming and not awkward. Glad he asked about other platforms for the Channel, don't get me wrong.

IGN is .. odd. Their summary video yesterday sounded like it was being awkwardly read off a script, and looking at the article, lo & behold, it's practically identical, almost word for word.

It's rumored Halo 3's art direction alone sent Flipyap into a blind rage for 16 straight hours.
RIP Flipyap

Top Bottom