• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Part of me wishes I cared enough about Halo lore to read in to and care about any of that shit.

I've always zoned the fuck out whenever Halo lore comes up, although I do sorta love Halo CE's story and lore, but I guess that's because most of it is so mysterious. When it's actually fleshed out and explained, it just comes off as desperate nonsense to me.
I love the "present day" Halo lore, starting with the Spartan program and the Covenant war. The Forerunner stuff bores me to pieces. I'm cool with Forerunner stuff bring explored / expanded upon (through UNSC research, Guilty Spark, etc), but I wish they would have remained a dead, mysterious force.

Bring on the space bears, though. I'm all for that.

Since we were discussing Guilty Spark before, I have to ask, is it specified why the Forerunners decided to use ancient humans as the monitors? I would assume that if GS is an ancient human then the other monitors would likely be as well, but if the Forerunners didn't trust the humans to uphold the mantle (or at least, the Didact didn't), why would they trust them with securing what were essentially the most important structures in the galaxy/universe?

Also, if they used the same composing technology (or at least something similar) wouldn't GS show traces of human DNA, or at least traces of humanity such that he would be considered a Reclaimer in his own right by the Halo array? It seems a bit strange that the Prometheans show these signs, but the monitors don't; although I suppose they aren't considered Reclaimers, despite being closer to the original humans than what would likely be a more genetically dissimilar human race today.

As I've said before, I haven't read the books, but have tried to keep up, so my knowledge is pretty hazy on these things. I'm sure all of this can be cleared up by someone with actual knowledge of the plot.

Short answer is Monitor's AI were created before IsoDidact (not the halo 4 guy) added in the human-imprint - sort of as a last resort/desperate attempt to "save" the info. The human imprint is no longer organic, but "composed" digital "backups", basically. They aren't so much layered on top of each other as they are isolated into dormant sections of the Monitor's "storage". 343 GS did not have access to - and was not aware of - the other "stuff" (humans, info, plans, etc) that Didact hid inside his "shell". 343's AI-related memory was wiped just before Halo was activated, and his access to info was limited to just anything that pertained to his installation (hence why he had no clue about the Ark's purpose in Halo 3). His near-destruction at the Ark on installation 04B in Halo 3 was what lead him to be able to then "access" said memories and info - albeit in a very unstable and "burstmode" format being recorded directly as a thought stream by ONI research - this was presented as the in-universe explanation for the book Primordium. In fact, the entity (ancient human named Chakas) wasn't even fully aware he was 343GS until he deduced as much via info gleaned from the ONI ship's systems.

Edit: I should say, "the info" that IsoDidact was trying to save mainly related to preserving the memories of the ancient humans allegedly finding a cure for the Flood, but it is suggested that there was more than that stored in 343GS' shell as well...

Nirvana

Short answer is Monitor's AI were created before IsoDidact (not the halo 4 guy) added in the human-imprint - sort of as a last resort/desperate attempt to "save" the info. The human imprint is no longer organic, but "composed" digital "backups", basically. They aren't so much layered on top of each other as they are isolated into dormant sections of the Monitor's "storage". 343 GS did not have access to - and was not aware of - the other "stuff" (humans, info, plans, etc) that Didact hid inside his "shell". 343's AI-related memory was wiped just before Halo was activated, and his access to info was limited to just anything that pertained to his installation (hence why he had no clue about the Ark's purpose in Halo 3). His near-destruction at the Ark on installation 04B in Halo 3 was what lead him to be able to then "access" said memories and info - albeit in a very unstable and "burstmode" format being recorded directly as a thought stream by ONI research - this was presented as the in-universe explanation for the book Primordium. In fact, the entity (ancient human named Chakas) wasn't even fully aware he was 343GS until he deduced as much via info gleaned from the ONI ship's systems.

Ok thanks for the explanation.
But it still doesn't explain entirely why they decided to use humans instead of forerunners to run the Halo array, and I suppose they haven't really give much backstory to Penitent Tangent or the other monitors, so we likely don't know if they are all 'human'. You have to think that Spark figuring that stuff out is going to change him in some way, either make him more human/compassionate to the opinion of not constantly following protocol or give him some kind of identity crisis.

Since he went into a state of rampancy in Halo 3 and then seems to come out the other side with the book Primordium, it would make a certain amount of sense for him to end up in the Chief's armour, because the MC might think that if GS can do it, perhaps Cortana can too.

On a side note, I just finished playing through CE and Halo 2 on Legendary - do I play ODST or Halo 3 next? Still not sure...

PNut

Banned
Imo the only thing that's good about Halo is shitting on bad kids in mm. The Halo lore stuff is for nerds that are bad at mm and probably very awkward irl. These threads are a testament to that. All of you lore nerds have ruined the recent Halo games. Please stop.

Booshka

According to Lore Nerds, you are supposed to play ODST after you beat Metropolis or whatever level in Halo 2, the one before you start playing as Arby's-The Elite that smells like bad Roast Beef and Processed Cheese.

EDIT: in light of recent developments, Pnut and people of his ilk that only get enjoyment from Halo when they are shitting on bad kids in Halo, have also ruined Halo. Instead of getting good and playing with and against good kids, losing, winning and actually being challenged, they go in as a party and wreck Social all day, or Halo Reach/4 where Rank is just time.

Play some customs or some MLG, get good and play against people that will make you look bad until you actually get good, instead of rolling over noobs in Social playlists everyday. And you wonder why the skill ceiling and skill gap has become so small game after game. It's because new and casual Halo players hopped into matchmaking and got shit on by other nerds that are too scared to actually be challenged and lose some close games against the actual good players.

Ok thanks for the explanation.
But it still doesn't explain entirely why they decided to use humans instead of forerunners to run the Halo array, and I suppose they haven't really give much backstory to Penitent Tangent or the other monitors, so we likely don't know if they are all 'human'. You have to think that Spark figuring that stuff out is going to change him in some way, either make him more human/compassionate to the opinion of not constantly following protocol or give him some kind of identity crisis.

Since he went into a state of rampancy in Halo 3 and then seems to come out the other side with the book Primordium, it would make a certain amount of sense for him to end up in the Chief's armour, because the MC might think that if GS can do it, perhaps Cortana can too.

On a side note, I just finished playing through CE and Halo 2 on Legendary - do I play ODST or Halo 3 next? Still not sure...

Read my edit above, but also (and this gets pretty freaking complex real fast if you don't want me to get into every little detail haha) the Monitor's "caretaker" protocols were Forerunner in design, an AI built from straight digital code basically. The ancient human stuff was more stored in there as well as a means to "save" the info for a later time.

Nirvana

Imo the only thing that's good about Halo is shitting on bad kids in mm. The Halo lore stuff is for nerds that are bad at mm and probably very awkward irl. These threads are a testament to that. All of you lore nerds have ruined the recent Halo games. Please stop.

I know lore and could shit on kids in mm. Awkward irl x10, get on my level nerd.

According to Lore Nerds, you are supposed to play ODST after you beat Metropolis or whatever level in Halo 2, the one before you start playing as Arby's-The Elite that smells like bad Roast Beef and Processed Cheese.

It's not really a lore thing, it's more about having to play ODST/Reach back to back, which are the two easiest/most boring campaigns, although better in story than Halo 3...and they have no awful flood levels.

Cool story bro, tell it again.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ODST has a fantastic campaign, shitting on BKs is fun, and high level competitive play is also fun. Yall need to stop bickering and just have the right opinions.

Impossible to enjoy both in this poster's mind.

I like campaign, customs, mm, ff, forge (though I'm bad at it), lore through cutscenes, books, etc. Nothing wrong with that. Only mainline halo game I didn't 100% is 4, because I couldn't be assed to come back and play the dead multi for the added cheevos from DLC. Halo Wars and Spartan Assault be damned (
I'll do it one day...
)

Nirvana

ODST has a fantastic campaign, shitting on BKs is fun, and high level competitive play is also fun. Yall need to stop bickering and just have the right opinions.

ODST has a good campaign overall, and it's final level is great, but it just feels very staggered and disjointed as far as the storytelling goes; due to the flashback sequences. I think they made a pretty bold statement with the game, and I like the film noir elements, new music and overall 'feel' of it, but elites were always more fun to fight than brutes and for a Legendary run specifically, it's a bit too easy and lacks the intensity of Halo 2 and CE.

Halo 3 has the worst campaign in the series in my opinion, just because there were so many missed opportunities as far as telling the story of the Separatists, Johnson's pointless death used just for emotional effect and despite the introduction of new flood forms, the flood levels are a real drag to play through; especially Cortana, which is horrible on Legendary.

Reach's campaign is ok, but it never felt like anything special to me. Some interesting level design in places, but again Legendary was fairly easy, apart from a few select fights and some awful vehicle parts (which always suck on Legendary because you're just a sitting duck). This is another reason for Halo 3's campaign not being fun on Legendary. It isn't hard overall, but because vehicles blow on Legendary, there being lots of vehicle battles makes it a pain to play through, combined with how irritating the Flood pure forms are, and the sheer amount of them through the campaign, it can be a horrible run.

I play everything - campaign, ranked, social, firefight, forge, so I don't think any playstyle is superior.

ODST has a good campaign overall, and it's final level is great, but it just feels very staggered and disjointed as far as the storytelling goes; due to the flashback sequences. I think they made a pretty bold statement with the game, and I like the film noir elements, new music and overall 'feel' of it, but elites were always more fun to fight than brutes and for a Legendary run specifically, it's a bit too easy and lacks the intensity of Halo 2 and CE.

Halo 3 has the worst campaign in the series in my opinion, just because there were so many missed opportunities as far as telling the story of the Separatists, Johnson's pointless death used just for emotional effect and despite the introduction of new flood forms, the flood levels are a real drag to play through; especially Cortana, which is horrible on Legendary.

Reach's campaign is ok, but it never felt like anything special to me. Some interesting level design in places, but again Legendary was fairly easy, apart from a few select fights and some awful vehicle parts (which always suck on Legendary because you're just a sitting duck). This is another reason for Halo 3's campaign not being fun on Legendary. It isn't hard overall, but because vehicles blow on Legendary, there being lots of vehicle battles makes it a pain to play through, combined with how irritating the Flood pure forms are, and the sheer amount of them through the campaign, it can be a horrible run.

I play everything - campaign, ranked, social, firefight, forge, so I don't think any playstyle is superior.

Talking strictly campaign, I prefer the mainline games, though I have a soft spot for ODST just because it was structurally "different" and dat music. I liked that, wish they'd revive that hub-style idea. Reach, though, while I still felt it was a step down from the beast that was Halo 3, I really enjoy going back to from time to time just as a sort of "expose" piece. They really nailed planet Reach. Should have been able to get away with just calling it Reach - just like the intro cutscene did. Long Night of Solace though... I wish we can one day see Covie environments like that again :( That one and the SWORD Base missions with the secret ONI revisit, too.

Madness

I must've played 5 times as many matches in Halo 3 ranked then I did social. I think I only started playing social in 2009 when they switched up and added those weird experience ranks, and because it was easier to find matches.

I really screwed up my lone wolves rank going for all the achievements. I had almost all of them within a couple days of launch, but entire matches of high ground and snowbound lone wolves were spent going for spartan laser double kills etc. And just when I was about to give up, I got two in one day. Still on my file share I think.

For some reason, I stopped ranking up soon after. I'd go like several matches in top 3 and not rank up and as soon as I would be in bottom half, I'd lose a rank. I think team slayer and team doubles were my highest. I openly admit I'm pretty bad now. Lost my skill. Don't have the time or patience, my eyes are worse. I was extremely good in CE and 2, started to decline in Halo 3, and I think Reach and Halo 4 just killed any chance of caring at trying to be good especially with no ranks and all this randomized or unequal game play. Can't wait to see how I stack up in CE/2/3 again.

Booshka

I must've played 5 times as many matches in Halo 3 ranked then I did social. I think I only started playing social in 2009 when they switched up and added those weird experience ranks, and because it was easier to find matches.

I really screwed up my lone wolves rank going for all the achievements. I had almost all of them within a couple days of launch, but entire matches of high ground and snowbound lone wolves were spent going for spartan laser double kills etc. And just when I was about to give up, I got two in one day. Still on my file share I think.

For some reason, I stopped ranking up soon after. I'd go like several matches in top 3 and not rank up and as soon as I would be in bottom half, I'd lose a rank. I think team slayer and team doubles were my highest. I openly admit I'm pretty bad now. Lost my skill. Don't have the time or patience, my eyes are worse. I was extremely good in CE and 2, started to decline in Halo 3, and I think Reach and Halo 4 just killed any chance of caring at trying to be good especially with no ranks and all this randomized or unequal game play. Can't wait to see how I stack up in CE/2/3 again.

Get a monitor with 2ms or less response time, get your eyes checked, glasses if necessary, then tryhard and get back to donging.

-Ryn

Banned
Talking strictly campaign, I prefer the mainline games, though I have a soft spot for ODST just because it was structurally "different" and dat music. I liked that, wish they'd revive that hub-style idea. Reach, though, while I still felt it was a step down from the beast that was Halo 3, I really enjoy going back to from time to time just as a sort of "expose" piece. They really nailed planet Reach. Should have been able to get away with just calling it Reach - just like the intro cutscene did. Long Night of Solace though... I wish we can one day see Covie environments like that again :( That one and the SWORD Base missions with the secret ONI revisit, too.
If there's one thing Reach excelled in, it was atmosphere. Can't believe how beautifully things were set up. I mean hell, even with the washed out color pallets the game was gorgeous. That final mission was really well done. I actually had some feels going.

Then there was the music which was expectedly brilliant (can't wait for Destinys score). The set up for a lot of the missions was also pretty cool too with some nice encounters that I can still remember. Too bad that space mission didn't get more content (or a multiplayer mode). The mission where you fly through what I think was Exodus in a Falcon was one of the best. Such atmosphere. Much rain. Many Pelican Easter egg abuse.

That said, I think the area where the game ultimately fell flat in was it's story. They had a solid line up of characters, a fantastic book they could have made at least some use of, and plenty of material to work with. One of the most poorly handled parts (at least for me) was the deaths. Almost all of them felt contrived and made it seem like the characters were only there to serve the rule of drama. I mean that's not bad in itself (tropes are tools), it's just that almost all of them are subject to this. Yes I get that they are Spartan-III's which means their whole purpose was to be used for suicide missions, but it here were points that completely took me out of the story.

I do think that it was a really great game though. Despite its flaws I still was wrapped up for the most part when I first played it.

Low response monitors will up your game, this is fact.
Wut

FINALLY CONCEPTUALIZED THE GRAVITY GAUNTLET BITCHES

ibvhtSHpCcls6U.gif
tumblr_mcmw7qaOCX1qkdogo.gif

aj1467

Ah, you're right. Had to look that one up again.

Anyone know what's on the Halo 4 Visual Guide, p. 193?

That page is about the Mantle's Approach (didact's ship).

Gives a short description and stats like height/length/beam and names of the 5 different weapon systems on board.

TheOddOne

I'll be honest. Ever since Halo 4 I've found the lore to be really confusing. I guess the story in the game was pretty straightforward, but all this supplemental fiction is messing with my mind. HALP!
Shoot aliens because they are trying to steal your birthday cake.

Infinity multiplayer contextualizes that danger.

Narrative.

KNOWING LATIN IS ACTUALLY HELPING FOR ONCE

Catalog's waiting for Magnus Custos review. This roughly translates to "Big Sentinel." In other words, he's awaiting permission from his proverbial enforcers - the Forerunners dictating his security clearance.

:D

"Ursus Sapiens," provided it's going off of binomial nomenclature, would also specifically refer to "masculine bear-hominids." That being said, it's also possible the Forerunners relied on a solar planetoid categorization system where planets were named after their local star - the Eridanus system housed Eridanus II, birthplace of Chief, for example. If this is the case, it's possible that hominids are residing within relative stellar proximity to Ursa Minor or Ursa Major, the Little Dipper and Big Dipper, respectively.

That, or "bear-hominid" refers to a tribe of husky musky space gays that achieved space travel.

Nirvana

Catalog's waiting for Magnus Custos review. This roughly translates to "Big Sentinel." In other words, he's awaiting permission from his proverbial enforcers.

Speaking of Enforcers, it would be good to see them back. They were fairly interesting to fight, and made battles feel larger due to their weapons. For some reason they just didn't bother putting them in Halo 3 - another thing missing from the campaign.

I'll be honest. Ever since Halo 4 I've found the lore to be really confusing. I guess the story in the game was pretty straightforward, but all this supplemental fiction is messing with my mind. HALP!

Easy, everything post H4 is irrelevant.

I'll be sending my cheque by post.

Random17

The EU has always been confusing, mostly because it served as the bandaid that held everything else together. After 2006-2007 things started to change IMO; the EU became less about stitching the gaps of knowledge in the past, and more towards the establishment of future media. Halo 4 is the result of 6-7 novels worth of information, everything from Ghosts of Onyx to the Thursday War. Some of the best novels in the EU came out at this time; Silentium and Evolutions are two of my personal favorites.

The EU made its first proper appearance in a Halo game with Halo 4. It is not surprising that people were overwhelmed.

The new novel series is a change back to the old system, which is interesting to say at the least. On the other hand, the Covenant probably play a huge role in Halo 5, which is almost certainly why this series is being released right now.

-Ryn

Banned

Catalog's waiting for Magnus Custos review. This roughly translates to "Big Sentinel." In other words, he's awaiting permission from his proverbial enforcers - the Forerunners dictating his security clearance.

"Ursus Sapiens," provided it's going off of binomial nomenclature, would also specifically refer to "masculine bear-hominids." That being said, it's also possible the Forerunners relied on a solar planetoid categorization system where planets were named after their local star - the Eridanus system housed Eridanus II, birthplace of Chief, for example. If this is the case, it's possible that hominids are residing within relative stellar proximity to Ursa Minor or Ursa Major, the Little Dipper and Big Dipper, respectively.

That, or "bear-hominid" refers to a tribe of husky musky space gays that achieved space travel.
So hot

Honestly I really want to see where they plan to go with this. If there is actually some other Forerunners working behind the scenes I wonder what side they're on. I've read the books and from what I remember it was mostly extremists that hated Humans and/or wanted to fire the Halo array. The Ur-Didactic got himself mutated with power of racism so who knows whether he'll be back. Probably space magic.

I do hope that we get a more isolated setting for Chief this time around too. Preferably on what's left of the Ark. That giant space angel bird thing is probably a key to something or other. I don't see Chief trying to fight that with nothing but manly fisticuffs. If he had a space katana though...

The EU has always been confusing, mostly because it served as the bandaid that held everything else together. After 2006-2007 things started to change IMO; the EU became less about stitching the gaps of knowledge in the past, and more towards the establishment of future media. Halo 4 is the result of 6-7 novels worth of information, everything from Ghosts of Onyx to the Thursday War. Some of the best novels in the EU came out at this time; Silentium and Evolutions are two of my personal favorites.

The EU made its first proper appearance in a Halo game with Halo 4. It is not surprising that people were overwhelmed.

The new novel series is a change back to the old system, which is interesting to say at the least.
I don't know much about Europe but that doesn't sound right at all.

Hopefully 343 have figured out how to properly weave exposition into the narrative this time around

OpulentNaiveAmericanbittern.gif

I do hope that we get a more isolated setting for Chief this time around too. Preferably on what's left of the Ark. That giant space angel bird thing is probably a key to something or other. I don't see Chief trying to fight that with nothing but manly fisticuffs. If he had a space katana though...

I don't know much about Europe but that doesn't sound right at all.

Hopefully 343 have figured out how to properly weave exposition into the narrative this time around

343 will have to consider putting the terminals in game, and also using the more important pieces (such as Didact's backstory) as cutscenes at some point in the main game. I wonder if they will still be loaded externally, but Xbox One will swap apps or something, kinda jarring, but who knows...

I'd much rather the Forerunners stay mostly out of the way aside from Didact. They would have to seriously overhaul Prometheans if they're gonna stay the main badguy, as Covenant are still just more fun to fight. I want to see Mendicant Bias appear, and Gravemind and the Flood again as bad guys, but properly explored more like in Halo 2.

Yeah Chief (if that's even Chief) has shit all in the trailer, no gun, no sidekick, he's not going to be fighting the thing. He is in a poncho. It's probably a war sphinx. Halo 5 Guardians goes open world with flashforward Arbiter/Locke missions.

--

Also, saw the Raid 2, movie was absolutely bananas. Wonderful

willow ve

Shoot aliens because they are trying to steal your birthday cake.

Infinity multiplayer contextualizes that danger.

Narrative.

Up through ODST / 3 I generally followed the story/lore. When 4 came out there was far far far too much random WTF moments that are apparently only explained in books, comics, or lulz waypoint videos.

Campaign used to have a narrative I understood and cared about completing. Now, for me, it's 100% about getting the achievements because I have no idea WTF is going on. Below is my recollection of the campaign from 4 (having played it 3-5 times total. In contrast I played Halo CE and 3 campaign 100s of times each).

Halo 4 campaign as remembered in one run on sentence:

Run, shoot aliens for some reason, HIT THAT BUTTON, get scanned (upgraded? saved?) by some mega ancient space alien demigod thing, FLYING LEVEL (death star trench run), holy shit I'm out of fucking ammo again and there are no weapons on the ground and there's this mega boss fight coming I can just feel it (oh nevermind it's a QTE), Cortana-boobs nooooooooo!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Did we ever get an explanation for weapons disappearing so fast in the Halo 4 campaign? That really was a pain in the ass sometimes.

Did we ever get an explanation for weapons disappearing so fast in the Halo 4 campaign? That really was a pain in the ass sometimes.

The graphical stuff they were pushing, mostly. It was so technically overbearing that they had to clear up whatever memory they could - better-looking locations were full of Prometheans with weapons capable of derezzing fools (thus clearing up corpses in death), weapons despawn to allow for new ones, etc. It's especially prevalent in busy levels like Infinity's forest segment and Reclaimer - Reclaimer's Mammoth portion was so tasking that they had to stock a shitton of weapons on board so that you wouldn't have to worry about running out of ammo stealing what you could from Covenant.

Blueblur1

Yeah, I'm confused by the expanded universe too. It all sounds so needlessly complicated. I think they messed up big time by going into so much detail and trying to make those details necessary for understanding whatever is going on in the universe now.

They should've kept it simple. Simple is good.

EDIT: in light of recent developments, Pnut and people of his ilk that only get enjoyment from Halo when they are shitting on bad kids in Halo, have also ruined Halo. Instead of getting good and playing with and against good kids, losing, winning and actually being challenged, they go in as a party and wreck Social all day, or Halo Reach/4 where Rank is just time.

Play some customs or some MLG, get good and play against people that will make you look bad until you actually get good, instead of rolling over noobs in Social playlists everyday. And you wonder why the skill ceiling and skill gap has become so small game after game. It's because new and casual Halo players hopped into matchmaking and got shit on by other nerds that are too scared to actually be challenged and lose some close games against the actual good players.
This pretty much describes my friends and I, but I don't have the time or the drive to be very competitive. Sure, I enjoy growing and being challenged, but I find some of the highly-skilled players to have very off-putting personalities and attitudes, and when I do get a chance to play these days, I just want to play some Team Slayer and shoot the shit with my friends.

Also, while I spent an ungodly amount of time in multiplayer, I derived enjoyment from as much of the Halo universe as I possibly could. I've gotten every achievement in every Halo game. I've complete LASO runs in Reach and 4. I've read almost every piece of fiction. I've played every campaign with friends and family, over the internet or in person. It's part of the reason I'm so excited about Destiny, because it feels like a game that brings all of it together in powerful ways.

This pretty much describes my friends and I, but I don't have the time or the drive to be very competitive. Sure, I enjoy growing and being challenged, but I find some of the highly-skilled players to have very off-putting personalities and attitudes, and when I do get a chance to play these days, I just want to play some Team Slayer and shoot the shit with my friends.

Also, while I spent an ungodly amount of time in multiplayer, I derived enjoyment from as much of the Halo universe as I possibly could. I've gotten every achievement in every Halo game. I've complete LASO runs in Reach and 4. I've read almost every piece of fiction. I've played every campaign with friends and family, over the internet or in person. It's part of the reason I'm so excited about Destiny, because it feels like a game that brings all of it together in powerful ways.

Those MLG pros are to you what you are to Social babbies.

Those MLG pros are to you what you are to Social babbies.
I imagine the casual Halo player off the street might think I'm a pro, or that I work for Bungie (especially when we're rolling through Reach MM all wearing Bungie nameplates).

Man, I wish we could do another Humpday challenge. I'd love to roll over some Bungie dudes.

Tawpgun

I love the halo story but The halo lore has gotten a bit too convoluted IMO.

However if were gonna be posting big walls of lore, might I suggest keeping most of the talk in the lore thread?

Havok

Anyone want to do some Halo 2 Vista matches and record it since youtube supports 60FPS? I imagine a lot of people would like to see what a round of 60FPS 1080p Halo 2 looks like that don't own the PC version.
I can record some and post them this evening. Big problem is getting a match with a decent connection these days - some are great, most are terrible.

Well, the real big problem is getting a match with something resembling decent gametype settings, but that's less relevant.
Fun fact: This feature isn't actually publicly available on youtube from what I can tell. Seems to just be an EA thing at the moment.

So I just put them on Skydrive. You'll have to use the download link at the top because their player doesn't like whatever OBS spit out. Sorry! It's about a gig of video, all told.

Lockout FFA
Midship FFA
Outskirts Opening

Rev3rb makes a cameo unknowingly. Fraps shows both the video and game were pretty much pegged at 60 the entire time, but who knows. Might be some wonky frame drops due to the vsync solution the game uses. It's a well made product - hitches when someone joins a match are a game issue, not with the video. Would have liked to get 1080p, but 720p60 live encoding + gameplay was about all this machine can handle. Let me know if there are any issues and I can try to rehost or something. Things I learned: I'm not as good at Halo 2 as I used to be.

So, re: timed exclusives - Frankie, will we ever be able to purchase Desecration without having to buy the entire Limited Edition OST bundle? It kills me not having that track.

Rev3rb

Fun fact: This feature isn't actually publicly available on youtube from what I can tell. Seems to just be an EA thing at the moment.

So I just put them on Skydrive. You'll have to use the download link at the top because their player doesn't like whatever OBS spit out. Sorry! It's about a gig of video, all told.

Lockout FFA
Midship FFA
Outskirts Opening

Rev3rb makes a cameo unknowingly. Fraps shows both the video and game were pretty much pegged at 60 the entire time, but who knows. Might be some wonky frame drops due to the vsync solution the game uses. It's a well made product - hitches when someone joins a match are a game issue, not with the video. Would have liked to get 1080p, but 720p60 live encoding + gameplay was about all this machine can handle. Let me know if there are any issues and I can try to rehost or something. Things I learned: I'm not as good at Halo 2 as I used to be.

Ha, I knew I recognized that GT from somewhere!
From what I saw when I joined, you were rocking it.

On a side-note, I played a game of H2V this morning...

eS18gyP.png

r0Tmukz.png

CFO07ih.png

^Man, reminds me of glasswall hacks that plagued the CE XBC community with paranoia and chaos lmfao.. Glad that shit won't be a problem anymore.

"How did you know to throw a grenade there, LOSER! You clearly must be glasswalling!"
Response: "They give you 8 damn grenades.. Use them as space controllers and to lure/bait the enemy into places you want them to go while covering angles you're not watching."

Truth is though, it was hard to tell unless the other person recorded and/or you caught them looking/shooting into walls during the match. Crazy times.

Yeah I remember some guy got really lucky on terminal in halo 2. He started the match in a flying warthog and every other player kept spawning in the same spot and getting blasted on spawn.

Guy was pretty pro he went 50-0.

you sound like one of those nerds that i shat on in halo 3/reach/4.

ElRenoRaven

eS18gyP.png

r0Tmukz.png

CFO07ih.png

LMAO. Reminds of of a guy on the PC version of Titanfall who accused me of being a cheater. I'm not great but that game I had an insane run and afterward he and some others accused me of cheating and said I was going to get banned. It was downright hilarious. Sadly that's probably going to be the only time ever I'm accused of being a cheater since I'm normally very mediocre at best at everything I play. lol

Havok

http://i.imgur.com/eS18gyP.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/r0Tmukz.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CFO07ih.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
That exact guy spent a full ten minutes shouting at someone he perceived to be from Colombia during one of the matches that didn't make the cut. He seemed like a real piece of shit. Glad to know he's at least consistent.

Fuchsdh

Lockout FFA
Midship FFA
Outskirts Opening

Thanks. Downloaded the Midship and Outskirts clips. Surprisingly the 60fps gameplay bothers me more than the cinematics; I would have thought it would be the opposite. Oh well, I'll just have to muddle through.

Top Bottom