• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Just a heads up for those interested in Halo lore / ARG-type stuff, a new entity has appeared on Waypoint forums, denoted: Catalog

It has begun answering some questions around the forums. It is an Admin. It has a Halo 5 avatar.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_profile601146.aspx

What is Catalog?

Catalog is a collective Forerunner entity composed of Juridicals, the "investigators" of Forerunner society. Although there are many entities that compose Catalog, the entity prefers to refer to itself as a collective - more specifically a singular unit. Book 3 of the Forerunner Trilogy, Silentium, is framed as a series of "info bursts" from Catalog.

So dear gents and ladygents. Tonight is a night where many shall convene to practice war simulation in the future, but I find myself asking this; is there any among you who consider themselves very good at Halo? As in, in moderation and being true to oneself, do you all consider yourself good? Pro? Bad? Casual or just ok?
When I consider my own performance, I cant say I'm particularly amazing. However, I am very clever, and I play smart. That is how I am able to not only able to keep up with those people who can no scope across the map whilst looking at Halo orientated lecherous debauchery, but even on many occasions overcome them. Leading to something I very much enjoy; hate mail. I've come to find a certain... apprieciation for when the lower classes moan about their lot in life. It gives me a sense of accomplishment for being born with natural talent and prestige.
lmfao

EDIT:
You tell those men that being good and Halo CE is like being the best privateer in the west indies. It is outdated, and your actions are frowned upon by your betters for ruining trades and businesses.
I take my lmfao back.

Omni

Just a heads up for those interested in Halo lore / ARG-type stuff, a new entity has appeared on Waypoint forums, denoted: Catalog

It has begun answering some questions around the forums. It is an Admin. It has a Halo 5 avatar.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_profile601146.aspx

What is Catalog?

Catalog is a collective Forerunner entity composed of Juridicals, the "investigators" of Forerunner society. Although there are many entities that compose Catalog, the entity prefers to refer to itself as a collective - more specifically a singular unit. Book 3 of the Forerunner Trilogy, Silentium, is framed as a series of "info bursts" from Catalog.

Anything interesting? I can't say I'm particularly motivated to search out Halo lore info since Traviss and H4/Spartan Ops

Wait a sec, so we get MCC on dedis & all that good stuff + multiple top tier movie legends + a new Halo coming next year with a beta long in advance + pro/industry quality hirings + shit like global champs + a guy like Phil Spencer in charge of xbox now + a great X1 controller - Kinect and you're still unhappy?

SMH, I don't fucking understand mate. I'm not trying to be a dick here but what is it you're looking for Halo to do for you this year or next year exactly?

Shill, always gonna be a shill

It's nice to have a Team DLC playlist in 4 again so I can actually play the maps. I missed Skyline.
they should force all DLC for the playlist.

Do you need all DLC? or just some?

Would love a dlc playlist with all smaller maps.
Just some.

We also got Reach and Halo 4 and you're expecting a guy who's unhappy with those products to be happy enough to pre order.

Dedis and 60fps are useless if the game itself blows.
Anyone who pre-orders on name alone...

Those that don't find SWAT the best mode ever are not true Halo fans.
Those casuals that dont like SWAT

Sometime I wish this was a normal community.
That would suck

Everyone that wants to play Halo 4 is playing it now, basically.

Unless they announce the ability to write and deploy your own Megalo scripts for the One version, there's nothing really exciting about it. Especially if you just bought the GOTY version, now all your armor and ranks and commendations are gone. Sounds like a lot of fun to grind through unlocking all of your stuff again?
$40 wasted on the GOTY

*DLC Talk*

~bow down to Steely, its all been said~

HaloGAF new comers

If you like Metal Gear Solid, we're bro's.
If you like SWAT, we're bro's.
If you like COD Pieces, we're bro's.
If you're a Cardinals fan, we're not bro's.
I dont think there are any Cards fans ever.

Basically 343 needs to steal the Mass Effect 3 DLC model. Except limit the paid stuff to cosmetics and not loadout stuff.

Damn, that game had a great multiplayer mode. I'd rather have a standalone version of that than ME4 homestly.
If 343 turned Spartan Ops into the ME3 multiplayer *insert Craig meme here*

I would think 343 is smart enough to know by now, that even though they have plans to "change up the formula" again with this Halo 5 game play with Spartan Abilities or whatever, they'd still need to provide more classic experiences, especially for gamers coming off of a year of CE, 2 and 3 play.

I think that's why they're giving us this beta for so long. To see whether or not it's even fun. To see how a ground and pound ability, or wall slide, or tackle or whatever they have planned even plays or is used amongst the larger community. If a lot of communities hate the way it plays, they can switch it back up a bit, so as to avoid the player decline Halo 4 did.
Or they push Arena into a small corner to focus more on their "vision of halo"

Deleted halo 4 from my hard drive yesterday to install reach. Made some room and now my halo 4 disc won't read so I can't install it or even play it. Have an old elite 360, prefer not to use the disc tray and just install games to avoid killing off the old girl. It's not scratched and other discs still work. Anyone have any ideas?
throw the disc into the refuse pile.

they opened up more passes since they announced sunset overdrive was going to be there, maybe you could snag a saturday pass?
Sunset Overdrive looks like it is going to be amazing.

Closed door presentations are the dumbest thing ever.

Hey yeah we have something we could show off and make some PR, but nope only if you were at this event, if you want to see it online you have to wait weeks.
People will leak it out with cellphones, just wait for that inevitability

I wonder whn 343 will make their own first game
Sick Burn

They are probably locked and can only be unlocked with a code. Eventually 343 just unlocks them for everyone (I assume).

Retail exclusive/timed content is dumb. Power to the Players.
Biggy is gamestop

Too bad that people who are banned get shit all experience for the ARG.
But hey Waypoint is where its at amirite? Those cats really know what a Halo is...i cant.

14 pages later.

So it's like the reach datapads AI council thingy maybe?

Sort of. There's a lot of collective/compound entities in the Halo Universe so you can't really directly relate them all (or can you? o_O )

Catalog is more like a bunch of researchers going around investigating crimes against the Mantle and against Forerunner society. Record-keepers and the like, but with access to vast amounts of information that others were not exactly privy to. Though referring to Catalog as a group and not just "Catalog" is considered a great insult. Pay attention to pronouns ;)

Anything interesting? I can't say I'm particularly motivated to search out Halo lore info since Traviss and H4/Spartan Ops

Just started posting today, so not a whole lot. Though there have been some interesting query responses.

Spoilers!

In a thread concerning Master Chief and Miranda Keyes:
Query Answer: Dr. Catherine Elizabeth Halsey is the biological mother of Commander Miranda Keyes.

In a thread concerning the veracity of Assembly (discussed in Reach Data Pads):
Query Answer: The purported "Assembly" is referenced in logs recovered by Spartan B-312 [NOBLE 6] during combat operations on Reach. This organization appears to be a group of rogue AI constructs which have been observing and guiding humanity. The reliability of this information has been contested.

In a thread concerning whether or not one should be able to skip the Kilo-5 Trilogy:
Query Answer: Processing request to bypass following information archives:
Halo: Glasslands
Halo: The Thursday War
Halo: Mortal Dictata

Permission denied.

In a thread concerning whether or not Agent Locke and Johnson are related (obvs, the only 2 black characters in-universe must be related amirite?):
Query Answer: If Locke Johnson persists for more than four hours, consult a medical professional.

In a thread concerning the reported size discrepancies of the Mantle's Approach (Didact from Halo 4's ship):
Query Answer: Promethean Command Warship, designation Mantle's Approach.
Alert! Seed pattern not approved by Council authorities: provisional authorization given by Master Builder[dude responsible for building the Halo Array, considerable political manipulator at some points]. Multiple configurations of Warship design noted in records. Pending Domain contact, model dimensions are provided for analogous hull pattern:
Height: 25.266 [units]
Width: 9.43 [units]
Length: 11.364 [units]

Preliminary analysis confirms that [UNSC Navy Threat Database] records [ref: Halo 4 Visual Guide, p. 193] reflect last known configuration of Mantle's Approach in local reference dimensions.

In a thread concerning the question of what model of MJOLNIR are Blue Team wearing on the cover of a future, unreleased Escalation comic issue:
Query Answer: Alert! Unable to contact zone commanders. Unable to initiate Domain link.

Awaiting command authority to release threat dynamic report for Human combat skin variants[ref: MJOLNIR].

I bet this is because the issue isn't released, so the error won't fix itself until then.

In a thread concerning the species of the ships that crash landed on Installation 04 in the Anniversary Terminals:
Query Answer: No known Tier 2 [Interstellar, more info here] species matching suggested morphology [re: ursus sapiens].

That's basically a summary of what Catalog has posted so far. Could be nothing, but interesting nonetheless.

Note: Many of the responses from today are for questions or discussion that happened years ago on the forums. That much is also interesting.

Rev3rb

Anyone want to get on H2V to get some 60fps footage?

I can get into a game, but I lag out after a few kills.

Or play some H4/Reach

Yes. or a reference to sentient Bear aliens. 343's version of brutes

Oh goddammit. Here I was thinking it'd be a completely new race, but Brutes have historically reached Tier Two before tearing themselves back down to lower states. It's totally possible that they were smart enough and accidentally reached a Halo, and it sparked some kind of feud that reverted them. In a literal sense with that binomial nomenclature, though, Catalog is purporting that a bear-like species with the capacity for rational thought and cultural development landed there, so I could be wrong.

I wonder if the "genetic degeneration" thing the Didact did to humans was also what happened to Brutes at some point.

Nebula

My KD blows. Probably all under 1.5 except for Reach maybe.

Halo 3 Ranked: 1.18
Halo 3 Social: 1.42

Halo Reach: 2.08

Halo 4: 1.45

Shocked Halo 4 is so high considering how much I piss about on it.

Oh goddammit. Here I was thinking it'd be a completely new race, but Brutes have historically reached Tier Two before tearing themselves back down to lower states. It's totally possible that they were smart enough and accidentally reached a Halo, and it sparked some kind of feud that reverted them.

They did infact do a civil war and devolved then return to tier 2 .

Oh goddammit. Here I was thinking it'd be a completely new race, but Brutes have historically reached Tier Two before tearing themselves back down to lower states. It's totally possible that they were smart enough and accidentally reached a Halo, and it sparked some kind of feud that reverted them. In a literal sense with that binomial nomenclature, though, Catalog is purporting that a bear-like species with the capacity for rational thought and cultural development landed there, so I could be wrong.

I wonder if the "genetic degeneration" thing the Didact did to humans was also what happened to Brutes at some point.

The Brutes Nuked themselves into the lower tier. stupid

Booshka

My KD blows. Probably all under 1.5 except for Reach maybe.

Halo 3 Ranked: 1.18
Halo 3 Social: 1.42

Halo Reach: 2.08

Halo 4: 1.45

Shocked Halo 4 is so high considering how much I piss about on it.

Those are solid K/D numbers, especially if most of your Ranked in H3 was MLG. Only the best of slayers had a really good K/D in MLG.

Fuchsdh

I'll probably be on tomorrow after I get off work. I'm down for whatever game.

Anyone still have the Prop Hunt gametype?

Lttp but I've got both versions of Prop Hunt (on Mongooses/on foot). Not sure I'll have time to play this weekend though.

And the Catalog responses are fun, even if they're mostly just throwing out teases or coded messages to buy the Halo 4 Visual Guide :p (Although I dunno if the Guide explicitly stated that the Mantle's Approach had multiple forms. Space Metapod turned into Butterfree!)

FINALLY CONCEPTUALIZED THE GRAVITY GAUNTLET BITCHES

ibvhtSHpCcls6U.gif

Nebula

Dat comment on my vid though. You think Tashi cries to that? Try this!

Sorry, I'll stop now.

I got wrecked at 45 for some time and gave up and played customs for around a month.

Brutes are categorized in the Bestiarum as "Native Tier 4/Adopted Tier 2" Tier 4 is Space Age, one step below humans. Brutes were known to repurpose Forerunner tech and rig it to suit their purposes (like the Brute Chopper) but by themselves they never really had a technological foothold. It's unlikely they ever progressed far enough to be subject to genetic degeneration.

Also, I haven't gotten around to buying the Halo 4 Visual Guide, but what's on p. 193?

Brutes are categorized in the Bestiarum as "Native Tier 4/Adopted Tier 2" Tier 4 is Space Age, one step below humans. Brutes were known to repurpose Forerunner tech and rig it to suit their purposes (like the Brute Chopper) but by themselves they never really had a technological foothold. It's unlikely they ever progressed far enough to be subject to genetic degeneration.

Actually the brute chopper is an engineer creation, they kinda lost most of their tech before their civil war aside of the gravity hammer

Link

The entity's last post before rebooting. Catalog made 7 lore-related query responses (above), then made this as it's 8th post, BOLD is a very rough analysis of info, still parsing...

Queries were posted by users, the intelligence chose some to respond to.

Spoilers!

Contacting Domain . . . . . . . .
Failure.
ERR,REGRESS.
Alert! Critical Reconciliation Error.
Contacting Domain . . . . . . . .
Failure.
ERR,REGRESS.
Alert! Critical Reconciliation Error.
Contacting Edom Terminal\Juridical . . . Edom = Mars
Connected. [Rm9yIGV2ZXJ5IGpveSB0aGVyZSBpcyBhIHByaWNl] String converts to: For every joy there is a price.
[WARNING] \sysdiag\security
Intrusion detected in site [fractal]! Builder Security alerted. Fractal generally refers to AI housing crystals... still unsure what the intruder is, or why there are Builders on Mars right now

Requests filtered and prioritized.
Quote:
Query Question: Is there anything of importance we must know. If so what is that information? If you cant give us this information, any idea how we can find out this information?

\sys\log\commit
Error parsing question.
Quote:
Second Query Question: Is there need of a testimonial or are you just observing? I am sure the community here would gladly answer any questions you need answered if required.

Error parsing question. Consult [Portal] Library link. Suggesting a Library data link at Portal at Voi?
Alert! Remote command protocol update denied [abusus non tollit usum] Latin for (roughly): abuse does not exclude use ---- from some light research: "Just because something is misused doesn't mean it can't be used." - This is a legal expression which means that abusing a law does not imply necessarily the ban or cut or removal of that law, but it says that that very law must be respected to certain limits.
Quote:
Linking Query: Are you in the hands of the UNSC or ONI. Or are you separate from them?

No applicable authority.
Quote:
Query: How did High Charity make it to the Lesser Ark in 2552?

Anomalous slipspace intrusion within expected displacement envelope was detected in Edom [airspace] at [2552:1218154551-1218154821]. [Manifold] profile not in local [cache], forwarding to [sector command] for analysis. Alert! [Waypoint] information restricted on authority of [Librarian]. Datestamp confirms entity is of "present-day" in-universe. Refering to Edom (Mars) airspace however, not Erde-Tyrene, which is Earth.

Unix time conversion of string after 2552 timestamp: 1218154551 = GMT: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 00:15:51 (12:15:51am) Second timestamp string: GMT: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 00:20:21 (12:20:21am)
Alternatively in MM:DD::HH:MM:SS format: Dec 18, 3:45:51pm - Dec 18, 3:48:21pm (battle of Installation 00 began Dec 11, 2552) unsure which is relevant

Quote:
Query: What is the average lifespan of an average Macto Cognatus?
Macto Cognatus is the Latin name for the Elite species - Sangheili

Life expectancy from [hatching] recorded as 27 [years] at time of index. Requesting [index technician] review.
Quote:
Query: What is your current status?

Active. Pending [magnus custos] review. Latin for (roughly): Keeper
Quote:
Query: What is your task?

Query requires elevated command authority.
Quote:
Query: What is the status of Installation 07? Have the Flood been contained there? What of Monitor 117649?

\\sys\analysis\error
Multiple priority queries detected in string.
Quote:
Query: With New Phoenix being reinhabited in Escalation, what's the status of Ivanoff Station?

Human [eyes] at [gamma site] is currently active. Edom [control] unable to contact installation monitor for [ERR,REGRES] cycles. Requesting [site] status from ecumene [control]. Gamma Site = Installation 03 (ring/station from Halo 4), suggests monitor is no longer active, Ecumene control could be referring to the Ark, unknown, Edom (mars) control again... unknown why this keeps getting brought up - Mars was a somewhat active centre in Forerunner times, but as far as the lore suggests so far, there weren't any known Installations there. However, the first photograph of what we believe was High Charity was taken from a human facility on Mars a year before first-contact in 2525.
Quote:
Query: Is there a countermeasure or "cure" to the Flood that does not involve the firing of the Halo Array?

No countermeasures recorded in local [cache]. Initiate priority containment protocols in event of parasite outbreak.
Quote:
Query: Are humans worthy of the Mantle or must they first show their capabilities through a "test" of sorts?

\\sys\analysis\error
Alarm! [flamma fumo est proxima] Query contains logic plague markers. Latin for (roughly): Where there's smoke, there's fire. Logic plague refers to Flood ability to influence/"infect" AI constructs, despite their in-organic nature. Mendicant Bias was the first recorded AI to be turned via logic plague (I believe)
Process quarantine.
[Reboot]

Booshka

Part of me wishes I cared enough about Halo lore to read in to and care about any of that shit.

I've always zoned the fuck out whenever Halo lore comes up, although I do sorta love Halo CE's story and lore, but I guess that's because most of it is so mysterious. When it's actually fleshed out and explained, it just comes off as desperate nonsense to me.

Part of me wishes I cared enough about Halo lore to read in to and care about any of that shit.

I've always zoned the fuck out whenever Halo lore comes up, although I do sorta love Halo CE's story and lore, but I guess that's because most of it is so mysterious. When it's actually fleshed out and explained, it just comes off as desperate nonsense to me.

to each their own. I think the lore is the best part of the Halo series.

Nirvana

Since we were discussing Guilty Spark before, I have to ask,
is it specified why the Forerunners decided to use ancient humans as the monitors? I would assume that if GS is an ancient human then the other monitors would likely be as well, but if the Forerunners didn't trust the humans to uphold the mantle (or at least, the Didact didn't), why would they trust them with securing what were essentially the most important structures in the galaxy/universe?

Also, if they used the same composing technology (or at least something similar) wouldn't GS show traces of human DNA, or at least traces of humanity such that he would be considered a Reclaimer in his own right by the Halo array? It seems a bit strange that the Prometheans show these signs, but the monitors don't; although I suppose they aren't considered Reclaimers, despite being closer to the original humans than what would likely be a more genetically dissimilar human race today.

As I've said before, I haven't read the books, but have tried to keep up, so my knowledge is pretty hazy on these things. I'm sure all of this can be cleared up by someone with actual knowledge of the plot.

Ya I just want to jump around and shoot shit, but I do admire Halo for trying, it adds some character at least.

The shooty is what gets you into it. The lore is what made me stay - it's actually good scifi. 343 has been handling this aspect quite admirably, in my opinion, but it doesn't really help with my hype levels for future Halo games...

Top Bottom