• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mistel

Banned

From last nights game
That's a lot of deaths for the bottom pair of player did they literally spawn and die the whole time?

ElRenoRaven

MY MAN

No emblem is best emblem.

I use corbulo in Halo 4 but still I like the option of none.

How about just give us an option for no emblem? Wouldn't that be easier? I've always hated forcing an emblem on us. That's why I too used the 5th column one so I'd not have one.

Woorloog

Banned
I also want to be without a frigging emblem, seeing as i can't even create pseudo-EMP medal emblem (can be done in Halo 3 and Reach with star background and one emblem that has a primary color dot in the middle, possibly Bullseye).

So apparently I can't play halo 2 vista I joins games with people in and it puts me in on my own. I eventually get into a game and I get network problems instantly. The know the game is nearly dead but come on.

Rev3rb

So apparently I can't play halo 2 vista I joins games with people in and it puts me in on my own. I eventually get into a game and I get network problems instantly. The know the game is nearly dead but come on.

Yeah, that's how mine is (even with port forwarding setup). I can play for a few kills, but then I get disconnected.

daedalius

Imo the only thing that's good about Halo is shitting on bad kids in mm. The Halo lore stuff is for nerds that are bad at mm and probably very awkward irl. These threads are a testament to that. All of you lore nerds have ruined the recent Halo games. Please stop.

Lol

Brojito

Neo Member
I agree. I can't keep up with it. I kinda preferred not knowing too much about the forerunners.

Yea I'm in the same boat. I don't have anything against EUs (or complicated backstory) but every time I read something about recent halo lore I walk away thinking "WTF did I just read."

I just want a Halo game that tells it's own story, not one that is some "culmination" of 8 other story threads from various related media or some crap.

Woorloog

Banned
You can use emblems if you want, we just want an option for no emblem. I haven't ever been able to do one i really like, even my pseudo-EMP medal isn't that great.
Also ruins how armor looks by adding unnecessary detail to it, even if it is just a small thing.

Imo the only thing that's good about Halo is shitting on bad kids in mm. The Halo lore stuff is for nerds that are bad at mm and probably very awkward irl. These threads are a testament to that. All of you lore nerds have ruined the recent Halo games. Please stop.

Oh look, a common man trying to shout himself above his station using words he doesn't really comprehend. Like I've never seen that before.
If you want to kill things with no actual reason behind it, join the colonial army and go invade those middle eastern countries. People who like the lore tend to like it because it gives actual reasoning behind the things they blow up. If you disagree with my assessment, I'd be more than happy to duel you. Then you'd see how a real gentlemen deals with riff raff.

Oh look, a common man trying to shout himself above his station using words he doesn't really comprehend. Like I've never seen that before.
If you want to kill things with no actual reason behind it, join the colonial army and go invade those middle eastern countries. People who like the lore tend to like it because it gives actual reasoning behind the things they blow up. If you disagree with my assessment, I'd be more than happy to duel you. Then you'd see how a real gentlemen deals with riff raff.

This "character" shit you're doing is fucking awful. Stop it.

This "character" shit you're doing is fucking awful. Stop it.

Oh ok. I'll stop pretending then, even though it's amusing for me and opinions of people whom don't agree with me very much matter to me. Your words have convinced me to act like a normal man despite that I can do that any time I wish. Upon reflection, I see your point, I can share my opinions whilst simply being me, instead of sharing my opinions covered with a layer of satirical nonsense designed only for my sake and not for others. From now on, I shall not attempt to make myself, or others laugh, give people a different read, and attempt to have serious discussions with people who wouldn't ever listen to me no matter how I come across.

Alternatively, thoust can learn your place. It's called common courtesy. If there's something about you I dislike, I don't feel a particular need to tell you. I can ignore you. One must realize this option is available for all.

-Ryn

Banned
343 will have to consider putting the terminals in game, and also using the more important pieces (such as Didact's backstory) as cutscenes at some point in the main game. I wonder if they will still be loaded externally, but Xbox One will swap apps or something, kinda jarring, but who knows...

I'd much rather the Forerunners stay mostly out of the way aside from Didact. They would have to seriously overhaul Prometheans if they're gonna stay the main badguy, as Covenant are still just more fun to fight. I want to see Mendicant Bias appear, and Gravemind and the Flood again as bad guys, but properly explored more like in Halo 2.

Yeah Chief (if that's even Chief) has shit all in the trailer, no gun, no sidekick, he's not going to be fighting the thing. He is in a poncho. It's probably a war sphinx. Halo 5 Guardians goes open world with flashforward Arbiter/Locke missions.
I agree. I can't keep up with it. I kinda preferred not knowing too much about the forerunners.
One of the complaints I hear the most is about how impenetrable Halo's story is for new (and even experienced) players which I find to be very true (Bungie also wasn't very good at this). I understand the story so well because I actually read the books and what I didn't get I looked up. Not everyone wants to do that though so it's 343's job to make it so they don't have to to understand what the hell is happening. Putting a few paragraphs of text at the beginning of the first level under a stairway on a pamphlet with buttons isn't how you do it.

How the Forerunners were handled was a major misstep I thought. That they were introduced so suddenly with little build up with no context as to who this guy is and what his problem was is just scratching the surface. If we did come across the forerunners I was hoping there would be more mystery to them. Like they were just sitting in the background observing for a while and then they step in later on. The way they were presented throughout the story in previous Halos seemed to be as a magnificent race that somehow screwed the pooch and in a last ditch effort to unscrew it, sacrificed themselves. I even enjoyed the way the Greg Bear Novels went about it but in the end it sort of just fell flat.
I miss when they were basically Space humans. Made it all the more interesting as to what actually made us and them different.

Whatever that thing is will probably be Chiefs best buddy or something. That or he takes it on a la Kamina and gets a giant new mech Gaurdian thing that is powered with space magic.

Oh ok. I'll stop pretending then, even though it's amusing for me and opinions of people whom don't agree with me very much matter to me. Your words have convinced me to act like a normal man despite that I can do that any time I wish. Upon reflection, I see your point, I can share my opinions whilst simply being me, instead of sharing my opinions covered with a layer of satirical nonsense designed only for my sake and not for others. From now on, I shall not attempt to make myself, or others laugh, give people a different read, and attempt to have serious discussions with people who wouldn't ever listen to me no matter how I come across.

Alternatively, thoust can learn your place. It's called common courtesy. If there's something about you I dislike, I don't feel a particular need to tell you. I can ignore you. One must realize this option is available for all.
giphy.gif

I would have told him to go fuck a moldy bison carcass but that works too.

But it isn't though? Like what is wrong with the game? (Keeping in mind I don't count multiplayer issues as something that drags a game down)

I don't think it's bad, but ignoring multiplayer, I felt that:

Spartan Ops was a good idea that didn't really execute very well. The encounters were either boring or frustrating depending on difficulty, which was the only kind of customization afforded to the missions. There was very little replay value if you didn't care about credits, no theatre, no scoring, no skulls, etc. The story bits were mostly good in the cutscenes, but the in-game stuff was laughably bad with Palmer and Roland squawking in your ear the whole time about pressing the next button for the eggheads upstairs. It just wasn't even close to a good replacement for Firefight in the long run, and the weekly release looking back just seemed more smoke and mirrors than anything, since the first half-season came with the game and was locked arbitrarily. Not to mention, and this was a problem in campaign for me as well, the Prometheans are just not very fun to fight compared to Covenant. I like the idea of the units working together in different combinations, but there were only 3 of them, and every battle was basically Knight + Watcher with Crawlers running around. The Knight has some above average weapon, and the Watcher flies around blocking shots and grenades when near a Knight. Crawlers just run around aimlessly toward you. The Knight class were bulletspongey, and difficult to tell apart from one another as far as their subclass is concerned and difficult to gauge just how much shields/health was left on each. Knights being invincible when entering and exiting the teleport is bs too. They could definitely improve them going forward, and I really hope they take them back to the drawing board for Halo 5, especially if they're going to stay as a prominent faction, which seems to be the case.

Forge had quite a few problems and aside from shadows and magnets it was a pretty big regression from Reach. Same deal with Theatre mode, across game-modes. Same deal with File Shares - something that was broken for way too long after launch. Those three things had a pretty powerful negative effect on the Halo community at large in my view.

Campaign's story was good, if you follow the lore, but otherwise was too vague to understand for the most part, so you pretty much had to rely on external media or the Master Chief-Cortana thread to get something out of it. As for the gameplay, it felt mostly fine, but the encounter design has continued the downward trend off of Halo 3. I burnt out on multiplayer right around when champions bundle released which was probably not that long after I maxed out the SR rank, and across the board, I don't feel like there is much there to be worth really replaying, but I inevitably will when MC Collection comes around, hopefully that breathes a bit of new life into it for me. I bet I'll stay mostly hopping between 1-3 though, sadly. Here's hoping to the future with Guardians, anyway.

-Ryn

Banned
Playing through Halo CE on Legendary and DAMN the pistol feels awesome. It fires and sounds like a beast. The AR is also really cool. Hell, the entire arsenal sounds and feels great. Only problem I seem to have is getting headshots. Not sure if it's because of the Anniversary models or if I'm just terrible.

Booshka

Playing through Halo CE on Legendary and DAMN the pistol feels awesome. It fires and sounds like a beast. The AR is also really cool. Hell, the entire arsenal sounds and feels great. Only problem I seem to have is getting headshots. Not sure if it's because of the Anniversary models or if I'm just terrible.
Try lining up the bottom line of the lower half of the reticule with the center of the head on enemies, you will land a lot more headshots that way. You don't want their head filling the reticule, you want the bottom line of the reticule crossing through the middle of their skull.

This goes for MP as well, I used to dump shots into player Shoulders and luck into Headshots here and there before I watched my friend playing and saw where he put his reticule. I got pretty good at having the reticule cleanly on the body for 2 shots, then creep up the bottom semicircle to line up on the dome for the 3 shot.

Top Bottom