• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

-Ryn

Banned
Try lining up the bottom line of the lower half of the reticule with the center of the head on enemies, you will land a lot more headshots that way. You don't want their head filling the reticule, you want the bottom line of the reticule crossing through the middle of their skull.

This goes for MP as well, I used to dump shots into player Shoulders and luck into Headshots here and there before I watched my friend playing and saw where he put his reticule. I got pretty good at having the reticule cleanly on the body for 2 shots, then creep up the bottom semicircle to line up on the dome for the 3 shot.
Thanks I'll give it a shot.

*edit*
Holy shit that is so much better. I thought it was weird that I was having so much trouble with it. Really feels great getting headshots on a bunch of Grunts and Jackals. Love how Elites strafe around and are actually more of a challenge. It's been too long since I picked up this game.

belushy

Banned
Random thought cuz I just watched a video of COD 4 MW2's 1v1 Cage match thing that I thought was cool.

What would you guys think of a 3rd-person camera gametype? Obviously stick it into Action Sack or something.

Nirvana

Ah but then what kind of example would one set? Everyone has a right to ignore me, just as it is my right to speak how I wish.

I'd rather not ignore you though. I'm sure you have interesting things to say, but they're hidden under the thin veneer of a character you don't seem to have the vocabulary to pull off, since many of the larger words you use are largely used out of context.

I don't want to be a dick about it, and you certainly have the right to do it, but unless the satyr is Colbert quality, your actual thoughts on things just fade into the background while I try to decipher whatever it is you are cobbling together from stereotypical pseudo-Shakespearean language - which doesn't really fit the character of George anyway.

Again, post how you like, but why set yourself up to be ignored like a novelty Reddit account when you can actually get your thoughts across instead?

-Ryn

Banned
I'd rather not ignore you though. I'm sure you have interesting things to say, but they're hidden under the thin veneer of a character you don't seem to have the vocabulary to pull off, since many of the larger words you use are largely used out of context.

I don't want to be a dick about it, and you certainly have the right to do it, but unless the satyr is Colbert quality, your actual thoughts on things just fade into the background while I try to decipher whatever it is you are cobbling together from stereotypical pseudo-Shakespearean language - which doesn't really fit the character of George anyway.

Again, post how you like, but why set yourself up to be ignored like a novelty Reddit account when you can actually get your thoughts across instead?
So basically this?

Sai-kun

Banned

iWjA0KADbN1Y0.gif

I don't think it's bad, but ignoring multiplayer, I felt that:

Spartan Ops was a good idea that didn't really execute very well. The encounters were either boring or frustrating depending on difficulty, which was the only kind of customization afforded to the missions. There was very little replay value if you didn't care about credits, no theatre, no scoring, no skulls, etc. The story bits were mostly good in the cutscenes, but the in-game stuff was laughably bad with Palmer and Roland squawking in your ear the whole time about pressing the next button for the eggheads upstairs. It just wasn't even close to a good replacement for Firefight in the long run, and the weekly release looking back just seemed more smoke and mirrors than anything, since the first half-season came with the game and was locked arbitrarily. Not to mention, and this was a problem in campaign for me as well, the Prometheans are just not very fun to fight compared to Covenant. I like the idea of the units working together in different combinations, but there were only 3 of them, and every battle was basically Knight + Watcher with Crawlers running around. The Knight has some above average weapon, and the Watcher flies around blocking shots and grenades when near a Knight. Crawlers just run around aimlessly toward you. The Knight class were bulletspongey, and difficult to tell apart from one another as far as their subclass is concerned and difficult to gauge just how much shields/health was left on each. Knights being invincible when entering and exiting the teleport is bs too. They could definitely improve them going forward, and I really hope they take them back to the drawing board for Halo 5, especially if they're going to stay as a prominent faction, which seems to be the case.

Forge had quite a few problems and aside from shadows and magnets it was a pretty big regression from Reach. Same deal with Theatre mode, across game-modes. Same deal with File Shares - something that was broken for way too long after launch. Those three things had a pretty powerful negative effect on the Halo community at large in my view.

Campaign's story was good, if you follow the lore, but otherwise was too vague to understand for the most part, so you pretty much had to rely on external media or the Master Chief-Cortana thread to get something out of it. As for the gameplay, it felt mostly fine, but the encounter design has continued the downward trend off of Halo 3. I burnt out on multiplayer right around when champions bundle released which was probably not that long after I maxed out the SR rank, and across the board, I don't feel like there is much there to be worth really replaying, but I inevitably will when MC Collection comes around, hopefully that breathes a bit of new life into it for me. I bet I'll stay mostly hopping between 1-3 though, sadly. Here's hoping to the future with Guardians, anyway.

That was very well structured, I kind of had half a mind that the only answer I would get was 'lol it suks cos its not haloo 3'. I haven't used theater mode except for any perfections I get in Multiplayer. And I do agree that Spartan ops gets very generic after a few chapters, and the character of Palmer. Oh boy. Don't get me started on her. Out of the entire Halo universe, I actually detest her. She's badly written, she's badly potrayed, she's a cocky, egocentric character who has the nerve to look down on people clearly superior to her. She's actually discriminates really, trying to pull off 'I'm an independant woman whop don't need no man' thing. If you have more than a few braincells and a thirst for knowledge, you're an egghead and she automatically dislikes you.
And ya, as for the enemies, I felt that they were a baby studio trying to pull off a daddy like feat, but they lost heart and we got generic glowing aliens. Aside from that, I thought it twas a very good game.

I think your confused with thinking I'm trying to be the guy in my profile picture. Tis not the case, I'm just trying to be an idiot. I'm aware the words I used was wrong, and if anyone caught me out on it I would go ignorant and insist I was right. Tis funny in my eyes, should I have a real thing I wish to discuss, I can calmly and quiet seriously discuss as I am now. But in the mean time, I will continue to behave like 'generic posh fool' for it amuses.
Also, never been on Reddit, so I can't claim to be a copy of a joke profile, but alas, this is the internet. All you have is my word, which never means much from anyone online.

Protip: being a character / "RPing" is a bannable offense.

I have about 16 alts to sate my multiple personalities

no not really

TheOddOne

But it isn't though? Like what is wrong with the game? (Keeping in mind I don't count multiplayer issues as something that drags a game down)
I’ve written more indebt about this, but going to only highlight the major issues so it doesn’t feel like I’m repeating myself.

Fractured storytelling: outside sources needed to fully comprehend what the story is about.

Toned down singleplayer scale: smaller spaces and linearity for the sake of upping the
graphics fidelity. It has also caused other aspects, such as AI, vehicles and such to feel like secondary. They are less complementary to the overall gameplay and sandbox.

Changed multiplayer fundamentals: more emphasis on the kill-death-respawn philosophy. Gone are equal starts, map movement and weapon placements.

There are more grievances, but the above are the big ones.

Akai__

Fractured storytelling: outside sources needed to fully comprehend what the story is about.

I think, thats the major issue, that people have with Halo 4's story and I bet people will also not get the complete story behind Halo 5, if they haven't read the comics or seen the 2 live action series.

It surely is awesome, for people that are deep into Halo's universe/lore, but for the major audience, that's not really smart, in my opinion.

Tawpgun

They need to go back to the halo 1-3 style of expanded fiction.

The other media wasn't used to fill in details that didn't fit in the game, it was just stories from the halo universe that had cool, SLIGHT, nods in the game.

They better have a damn good and well explained intro in halo 5.

Imagine how confusing and stupid halo 4 story is of you didn't read cryptum/watched terminals

Akai__

The other media wasn't used to fill in details that didn't fit in the game, it was just stories from the halo universe that had cool, SLIGHT, nods in the game.

Imagine how confusing and stupid halo 4 story is of you didn't read cryptum/watched terminals

Or if you haven't finished Spartan Ops.
:p

Also, I completely agree.

Toa TAK

Banned

I fully agree.

I like the expansion of the EU for the most part, but I didn't think it was going to be that integral to the meat of Halo 4's story.

even if he's not going to be as good as he was during the h2 era or the late h3/reach eras, I'm still rooting for the GOAT to win one more great HALO event.

heckfu

Banned
I hear that a large chin is super sexy in some countries.

Now, maybe I just made that up, but it sure did make me feel better about myself.

Halo 4 & 5 needs a Baseball gametype using Griffball.
* Use TP for the outer field players to catch and toss the ball.
* Use your Spartan abilities to do a dash slide when reaching a base or home plate.

willow ve

Son of a bitch this last achievement on Halo 4 will just not happen for me. Guy grabbed rockets on Pitfall from behind me in the one match I've been able to start on the map.

C'mon.

Besides, how does it make sense that these:

Promethean-Knight.png

Came from the same race that created these:

Sentinel.jpg

Especially when there was already concept art for things like this, that looks miles better than the Forerunner designs in 4:

300px-Forerunner_-_Combat_Suit.png

I really don't care for the design we got, and it is too bad because that Bungie design truly feels like it meshes so well with Forerunner aesthetic.

willow ve

So being the first to Rockets on The Pit remake is really about spawn position. If you're not at the front most spawn point you're not getting the achievement.

So not only are the odds extremely small that you'll even see The Pit in matchmaking, but you also have get the luck of the draw on the 4 spawn positions.

Nowise10

So being the first to Rockets on The Pit remake is really about spawn position. If you're not at the front most spawn point you're not getting the achievement.

So not only are the odds extremely small that you'll even see The Pit in matchmaking, but you also have get the luck of the draw on the 4 spawn positions.

Not really

Not everyone goes for the rockets at the start + the rocket hallway is a complete grenade fest during the start and you'll likely die before grabbing the rockets if you just sprint in.

-Ryn

Banned
I really don't care for the design we got, and it is too bad because that Bungie design truly feels like it meshes so well with Forerunner aesthetic.
Remember the Prefect armor? I wish I didn't.
H4_Prefect_Armor.png

For a close comparison
300px-Forerunner_-_Combat_Suit.png

It would have been pretty badass to fight something like this or even fight alongside it. I love the sleek design. I remember someone compared it to the Reapers earlier but the only similarity I see is maybe the head.

It went away around the same time as competitive Halo...never to be seen again :(
DuckDynastyChia-9_250h.jpg

willow ve

Not really

Not everyone goes for the rockets at the start + the rocket hallway is a complete grenade fest during the start and you'll likely die before grabbing the rockets if you just sprint in.

Not sure who you play with when entering solo, but my matches so far have been 4v4 (or 3v3) pure rush rockets. We need that bleep bloop sound.

Brojito

Neo Member

It's like if Halo 2 started out with MC and Earth getting attacked, and you find out that some guy named Regret is leading the invasion and you have to kill him. But you don't know anything about the Prophets or that they're the leader race of the Covenant, because you didn't read the Halo book that explained all of that.

Then halfway through you switch to playing as the Arbiter raiding the mining station on the gas giant, except you don't know who the hell the Arbiter is, or what his story arc is supposed to be, because you didn't buy Halo: Arbiter! issues #1-6 which explained his entire backstory up to that point.

Then Halo 3 starts with the UNSC/Covenant forces discovering and landing on the Ark, because the live-action miniseries Halo: Sierra 117 already covered everything that happened on Earth when MC got back.

-Ryn said:
It would have been pretty badass to fight something like this or even fight alongside it. I love the sleek design. I remember someone compared it to the Reapers earlier but the only similarity I see is maybe the head.

The "flashlight head" makes everyone think of Geth, but the rest of it still looks very Forerunner-ey. Much more so than the Prometheans do, at least.

Top Bottom