• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

-Ryn

Banned
ib4a4Ej1ytVqI.gif
What about editing an edit?

The "flashlight head" makes everyone think of Geth, but the rest of it still looks very Forerunner-ey. Much more so than the Prometheans do, at least.
I thought the Prometheans looked very odd. The design makes no sense and is completely inconsistent with everything else we had seen before it. If the Knight for instance had a sleeker overall design as opposed to the bulky body thin limbs thing it had going on that would've worked better IMO. The watchers are pretty cool in their function but again the seem weird from a design standpoint. The crawlers confuse me the most though. Why are they ant dogs? Like what was the thought process in that and why? Is it a way of calling humans dogs?

What about editing an edit?

I thought the Prometheans looked very odd. The design makes no sense and is completely inconsistent with everything else we had seen before it. If the Knight for instance had a sleeker overall design as opposed to the bulky body thin limbs thing it had going on that would've worked better IMO. The watchers are pretty cool in their function but again the seem weird from a design standpoint. The crawlers confuse me the most though. Why are they ant dogs? Like what was the thought process in that and why? Is it a way of calling humans dogs?

The Crawlers are pretty much Promethean attack dogs, but probably get their name from Web crawler, a bot mostly used for indexing data or data-driven programming. Given that the pseudo-Composer weaponry in the Promethean arsenal that turns its victims into data, it's basically the Forerunner equivalent of calling their attack dogs corpse-sifters.

-Ryn

Banned
The Crawlers are pretty much Promethean attack dogs, but probably get their name from Web crawler, a bot mostly used for indexing data or data-driven programming. Given that the pseudo-Composer weaponry in the Promethean arsenal that turns its victims into data, it's basically the Forerunner equivalent of calling their attack dogs corpse-sifters.
That's actually pretty cool. So I guess 343 took that concept and brought it to its literal conclusion which is apparently the ant dogs we have.

It could also explain why the Crawlers suck so much in combat. They are just there to gather the data. Interesting indeed.

Sooo Forerunners were dog lovers?
Doggy Style

For whatever reason games like TF and COD fail to maintain player bases on their PC versions.

Well, in the case of TF, the biggest issue for me is the server implementation is a fucking joke. Not to mention the matchmaking system is just plain terrible in so many ways.

Origin's shittiness plays a big role too. GG EA

Well, in the case of TF, the biggest issue for me is the server implementation is a fucking joke. Not to mention the matchmaking system is just plain terrible in so many ways.

plus theOddOne made the OT

no wonder the playerbase is falling it was cursed from the beginning

Annnnd there's the real culprit!

Playerbase is healthy on X1 and I've been having a lot of fun with it lately.

daedalius

DEDIS FIX EVERYTHING

Didn't you get the memo?!

So sad today is the last day for the dlc featured playlist T.T Those maps are my favorite part about Halo 4. I started playing it a lot more this week since it was all DLC and I could play what I payed for. After its gone I'm going to be so sad v.v It gets so irritating playing the same few maps everyone votes on that are always default maps. and the once in a blue moon time a dlc map appears no one but me votes on it. I shouldn't need my full party of friends to stack the vote in the rare occasion maps I payed for appear =(

Rockyrock

For whatever reason games like TF and COD fail to maintain player bases on their PC versions.

PC players have infinite options of games to play.

And my guess is that those game struggle because lack of skill based ranks or any sort of competitive merit and there being no mods.

I mean why play something like CoD when you can play something like CS:GO that has an enormous competitive backing.

willow ve

So sad today is the last day for the dlc featured playlist T.T Those maps are my favorite part about Halo 4. I started playing it a lot more this week since it was all DLC and I could play what I payed for. After its gone I'm going to be so sad v.v It gets so irritating playing the same few maps everyone votes on that are always default maps. and the once in a blue moon time a dlc map appears no one but me votes on it. I shouldn't need my full party of friends to stack the vote in the rare occasion maps I payed for appear =(
DLC should be a permanent playlist.

DLC should be a permanent playlist.

It really should. I dont see why its rotational when the sheer stats would point out that its impossible to get the DLC to appear.

We won't have to worry about that in the MCC :)

That game is.. months away lol. And when it comes out I will be in H2A MP almost all the time so H4's all dlc inclusion wont really matter to me -.- halo 3 was the last game i remember getting the dlc to show up alot in regular matchmaking. Reach & 4 are a disaster which is upsetting cause I like the DLC in 4 lol. even if it only has a few hundred ppl in it I had a lot of fun this week playing with friends. After the playlist vanishes The fun factor of 4 is going to drop again since im tired of vortex, valhalla, exile & haven being the only maps that get voted.

Uh why?

Having all maps from the jump is one of the reasons I'm actually excited for the collection. Playing the halo 3 dlc maps I never really got to play in matchmaking.

Because H2A is the most appealing to me right now. Halo 2 is fun but its a glitch fest where if you don't master the glitch meta you get destroyed in matches with good players. I don't really have time to master double shot and all that stuff so H2A is most likely going to be my most played aside from CE. Halo 4 I'm tired of the unbalanced factors: jetpacking, aa exploit in general, and have over played it, halo 3 even on dedicated servers will still have its annoying wide random spread br + bullet travel so that isn't very fun to experience even with all the dlc included.

Of course I will have to play them all for the achievements, and I will certainly play them all or random goofing off here and there but the one I will be playing consistently and actually trying in will be the revamped H2A multi player and possibly CE. it just depends on how jarringly different the aiming feels between them. Since again i really dont have all the time in the world to play so the time I do spend has to be done wisely =)

So who thinks the new 6 remade maps in the new engine mash up is going to add maps from all the games? I wonder if this engine spin off will have a bunch of maps from the games? It seems fishy they'd do this for only 6 maps? Thoughts?

I'd love to see a fairly universal re-imagining of settings, sandbox and a handful of select maps from each game remade as one multiplayer. I suppose it could also be added to with DLC every few months too?

At long last, Citadel will get the respect it deserves
I'm quite sure I never played that in matchmaking. Same with heretic, The midship remake?

Having all the maps is really one of the features I'm most excited for. Also the pc maps I never got to play.

Playing through CEA tonight, this soundtrack is GOAT contender. So good.

So who thinks the new 6 remade maps in the new engine mash up is going to add maps from all the games? I wonder if this engine spin off will have a bunch of maps from the games? It seems fishy they'd do this for only 6 maps? Thoughts?

I'd love to see a fairly universal re-imagining of settings, sandbox and a handful of select maps from each game remade as one multiplayer. I suppose it could also be added to with DLC every few months too?

I feel like they will be from halo 2 only. My favorite wanted 6 would have to be lockout, zanzibar(confirmed), waterworks(would do wonders for forge remakes as well), coagulation(Would also do wonders for forgers), Ascension(confirmed),Relic and I really cant decide on the last one x.x

Edit: I am surprised so many people had issues with playing halo 3 dlc. I played the DLC playlist vast majority of the end of halo 3's life and played all the dlc in it a a lot. How is it so many feel they weren't exposed in matchmaking when there was a playlist dedicated to the games dlc up forever?

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
Because H2A is the most appealing to me right now. Halo 2 is fun but its a glitch fest where if you don't master the glitch meta you get destroyed in matches with good players. I don't really have time to master double shot and all that stuff so H2A is most likely going to be my most played aside from CE. Halo 4 I'm tired of the unbalanced factors: jetpacking, aa exploit in general, and have over played it, halo 3 even on dedicated servers will still have its annoying wide random spread br + bullet travel so that isn't very fun to experience even with all the dlc included.

Of course I will have to play them all for the achievements, and I will certainly play them all or random goofing off here and there but the one I will be playing consistently and actually trying in will be the revamped H2A multi player and possibly CE. it just depends on how jarringly different the aiming feels between them. Since again i really dont have all the time in the world to play so the time I do spend has to be done wisely =)

I never really seen the big hype with button combos. I don't think they were nearly as detrimental to the entire experience as everyone makes them out to be. Ranks 1-40 basically never use button glitches and the ones that did/tried, were usually pretty terrible at them. Then you got into the 40-45 area and players used them, but only in absolute dire situations. I don't really know about 45 and higher. That seemed to just be mod/bridge/circle boost/derpy derp area. Honestly though, aside from customs and MLG, button combos were hardly abused. At least not in my time with the game. On very rare occasions, I'd match up with players that tried to quad the entire game.They were some of the easiest matches I've ever played.

The only glitch that truly killed much of the experience was super bouncing. From what I understand, the upped resolution and frame-rate will make it basically impossible to do.

The only glitch that truly killed much of the experience was super bouncing. From what I understand, the upped resolution and frame-rate will make it basically impossible to do.

This. It was Super bouncing and other weird tricks to get out of the map that ruined my experiences. people taking the objective to impossible places and guarding them there and such. Frankie said that pixels will get shifted and it MIGHT break SOME super jumps. He didn't say super jumping is gone. And even if pixels move you know people are just going to find new ones. I was in the 30s range in halo 2 and i encountered a lot of double shot bxr bxb and such. Not to mention being able to swipe snpier rifle reticules for head shots easily. The game is just really unbalanced and broken. Only in the competitive atmosphere when most of the broken factors are banned is the experience super enjoyable. Keeping people from getting out of the map especially.

I think because it was many peoples first experience with online MP that it gives this nostalgic glow of being the best. At its Core i love halo 2. i love the br and everything but there are just way to many factors with the glitches that make it weird. not to mention most of the sandbox is useless compared to the br(outside of the timed power weapons) and that isn't not really fun only have =/

What? By the time you got to 20ish in H2, pretty much everybody was using BXR/BXB at the very least, though not many were good at doubleshots at that point (and there were plenty of pros that never really incorporated doubleshots into their game at any point).

And there's really not much to "master" with BXR/BXB or grenade reloads. They're really simple and easy.

Maybe I'm just a bad kid then cause the animation cancel tricks never really worked for me. I always messed them up somehow x.x

defghik

I never really seen the big hype with button combos. I don't think they were nearly as detrimental to the entire experience as everyone makes them out to be. Ranks 1-40 basically never use button glitches and the ones that did/tried, were usually pretty terrible at them. Then you got into the 40-45 area and players used them, but only in absolute dire situations. I don't really know about 45 and higher. That seemed to just be mod/bridge/circle boost/derpy derp area. Honestly though, aside from customs and MLG, button combos were hardly abused. At least not in my time with the game. On very rare occasions, I'd match up with players that tried to quad the entire game.They were some of the easiest matches I've ever played.

What? By the time you got to 20ish in H2, pretty much everybody was using BXR/BXB at the very least, though not many were good at doubleshots at that point (and there were plenty of pros that never really incorporated doubleshots into their game at any point).

And there's really not much to "master" with BXR/BXB or grenade reloads. They're really simple and easy.

PNut

Banned
Anytime i watch a h2 stream recently it's always Midship. No other maps. So i go watch H3 where there are more than one map being played.

IHaveIce

Banned

I never got above 28 I think in Halo 2 and had already alot of BXR users..

Super bouncing won't be in I think, I assume they will use the PC port to make a remake and there are already no superbounces possible

Nirvana

I never got above 28 I think in Halo 2 and had already alot of BXR users..

Super bouncing won't be in I think, I assume they will use the PC port to make a remake and there are already no superbounces possible

They said that superbounces will be technically possible, but that 1080p might shift the pixels enough that they no longer work. They're leaving them in though, apparently.

-Ryn

Banned
I miss the Grunts.

Not the weird lizard frog things that are in Halo 4. I mean the actual Grunts. The Grunts that had an exoskeleton with no visible buttholes. I've been playing through Halo CE and it's just so awesome. It's colorful and full of variety. Yeah there's a serious overarching story but it's not afraid to crack a few jokes. Even when I was filled with rage
because I suck
it helped to have something to lighten the situation. Whether it was the Elites death wails or the Grunts panicked flails.

Yes I get that they want to take series in a darker and more serious direction but they don't have to sacrifice the humor. I mean I can't really recall much from Halo 4 that made me laugh or even chuckle. It wasn't a terrible campaign and I had plenty of fun with it yeah but it just lacked the color the other Halos had. I mean why the hell are the Jackals now a cross between a angler fish and an alligator? They're know to be avian. I mean if it's just another cousin of the Jackals or some sub species then whatever. I'm all for more variety. I thought it was hilarious that the Elites spoke in broken Japanese but I doubt that was intentional.

I guess I just hope the series doesn't forget that despot the dire situation, not everything needs to be grim.

Playing GhostzzZzzzzz
I thought he was saving Halo

I miss the Grunts.

Not the weird lizard frog things that are in Halo 4. I mean the actual Grunts. The Grunts that had an exoskeleton with no visible buttholes. I've been playing through Halo CE and it's just so awesome. It's colorful and full of variety. Yeah there's a serious overarching story but it's not afraid to crack a few jokes. Even when I was filled with rage
because I suck
it helped to have something to lighten the situation. Whether it was the Elites death wails or the Grunts panicked flails.

Yes I get that they want to take series in a darker and more serious direction but they don't have to sacrifice the humor. I mean I can't really recall much from Halo 4 that made me laugh or even chuckle. It wasn't a terrible campaign and I had plenty of fun with it yeah but it just lacked the color the other Halos had. I mean why the hell are the Jackals now a cross between a angler fish and an alligator? They're know to be avian. I mean if it's just another cousin of the Jackals or some sub species then whatever. I'm all for more variety. I thought it was hilarious that the Elites spoke in broken Japanese but I doubt that was intentional.

I guess I just hope the series doesn't forget that despot the dire situation, not everything needs to be grim.

I thought he was saving Halo
Their changes are just for the sake of change. hell they hand-waived the entire thing with the bullshit "they are subspecies" thing. and the Elites speaking broken japanese would be pretty on the nose since that is the culture that bungie based them on.

also to the bolded. : ResidentSleeper.

TheOddOne

-Ryn

Banned
tumblr_lw7r7vRUGN1qii6tmo1_500.gif

I don't know how to edit GIFs

Their changes are just for the sake of change. hell they hand-waived the entire thing with the bullshit "they are subspecies" thing. and the Elites speaking broken japanese would be pretty on the nose since that is the culture that bungie based them on.

also to the bolded. : ResidentSleeper.
So he's sleeping on the job?

It's interesting about the Elites. A whole lot of stuff make more sense.

Top Bottom