• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Akai__

Questions for everybody:

Do people prefer "forced" DLC or optional DLC?

"Forced": Means, without DLC, certain playlists can't be played. (Halo 3 style)

Optional: Every playlist will work. DLC maps only show up, if your current party has the DLC. (Can't explain that very good, but basically how Halo Reach and Halo 4 handled it)

Also, should there be a DLC playlist at all?

---

-snip-

I'm very excited for Halo: The Master Chief Collection. But to be honest, I'm even more excited for Halo 5, since I think 343 has some huge resources, so damn much potential and they will definitely learn from their mistakes. I think Halo 5 will be their first "real" game. Spartans never die.

Willkommen and I hope, you are right on the bolded part. Not a huge loss for me, because I will have a collection, to come back to. :p

Questions for everybody:

Optional: Every playlist will work. DLC maps only show up, if your current party has the DLC. (Can't explain that very good, but basically how Halo Reach and Halo 4 handled it)

I prefer forced, buy the DLC or get the HELL OUT or free DLC like with ShadowFall

but that's just me

Questions for everybody:

---

Willkommen and I hope, you are right on the bolded part. Not a huge loss for me, because I will have a collection, to come back to. :p

Forced. I dont pay the money to NOT use the DLC. and it should be in ALL playlists.
then free after a set period of time

antigoon

Questions for everybody:

Forced, with the maps becoming free or widely available for a low price after a certain period. Like Halo 2, basically. What's the point of making maps if nobody can play them?

Just make sure the resume is only 1 page

Hows this?

resumelol_zps004ba013.png

Frankie, you know you wanna hire me.

Questions for everybody:

DLC playlist at first as well as mixed into the playlists and then forced after a couple of weeks across the board. It was very frustrating in reach not being able to play the great dlc outside of customs, same with 4. It gets old playing the same handful of maps everyone votes over and over again -.-

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
You'd think by now after all this time in the FPS market that Microsoft would learn that maps are by far the most important sustainable part and make them free upon release. Recoup your costs elsewhere; they repeat the same mistake every generation and it results in the community dying many months ahead of when it should have.

Madness

I don't want to repeat myself either. I don't know if they'll ever do free at launch. But they need to provide greater incentive to purchase quick, and also better Playlist integration. I think in the long run, they need to start making older maps free and forced downloads. They'll need to eat the loss.

One thing I thought of. Have the season pass stuff be given with special and collectors editions. That means these folks can download the maps right at launch. Then, have each map pack release be 50% on launch day, and then 25-40% for launch week. This doesn't have to be like this. But it provides greater incentive to purchase quicker and get the maps into the playlists.

When the next map pack releases, the previous one automatically drops to 50% less again, the same launch day/launch week urgency discount for the for the second map pack. By the time the third comes out, make the first free and forced download. After all the map pack are out, and no plans for more, after some time, start making them all free and force the download. Obviously with discounts at launch of the maps, they don't make as much profit. But if 25% of the existing player base buys in launch day due to cheapness, that just means more people will have them to play, keep the game fresh.

I don't know, just something I was thinking of. We don't know the sales though. What the statistics are, when players purchase, how many, etc. I trust they see that they need better dlc implementation going forward so let's see what happens with H5.

Fuchsdh

I don't want to repeat myself either. I don't know if they'll ever do free at launch. But they need to provide greater incentive to purchase quick, and also better Playlist integration. I think in the long run, they need to start making older maps free and forced downloads. They'll need to eat the loss.

One thing I thought of. Have the season pass stuff be given with special and collectors editions. That means these folks can download the maps right at launch. Then, have each map pack release be 50% on launch day, and then 25-40% for launch week. This doesn't have to be like this. But it provides greater incentive to purchase quicker and get the maps into the playlists.

When the next map pack releases, the previous one automatically drops to 50% less again, the same launch day/launch week urgency discount for the for the second map pack. By the time the third comes out, make the first free and forced download. After all the map pack are out, and no plans for more, after some time, start making them all free and force the download. Obviously with discounts at launch of the maps, they don't make as much profit. But if 25% of the existing player base buys in launch day due to cheapness, that just means more people will have them to play, keep the game fresh.

I don't know, just something I was thinking of. We don't know the sales though. What the statistics are, when players purchase, how many, etc. I trust they see that they need better dlc implementation going forward so let's see what happens with H5.

Yeah, that's the problem. It may be that financially it's entirely in Microsoft's interest to keep the status quo, that the map packs make them a good deal of money. On the other hand, even if that's true it's partially at the expense of those who are regularly playing the game as they aren't getting as much out of their money.

Doing discounts and bundles seems like a sensible middle ground, combined with heavy DLC weighting and frequent DLC-only playlists. Maybe some DLC gets set free after a certain point, so you only have to pay if you want to get cosmetics...

but I think the message from Forge Island is that on-disc maps still matter most. People are lazy bastards who can't even be bothered to download a free map unless they are forced to. So if anything goes free in the future it should really be made a requirement to download (as part of the software updates, etc.) rather than a link to the marketplace.

Questions for everybody:

Just make them a priority search like COD alonside with a DLC playlist with 2xp Clan Bonus, end of the story.

Computer

Just force DLC on everyone with a $10.00 up-charge when you buy the game. Its the only way.

To start a riot.

Just make them a priority search like COD alonside with a DLC playlist with 2xp Clan Bonus, end of the story.

This.

Folding in the DLC to regular playlists, like Reach did, totally sucks. I wanted to replay Reach MP this week, and I had deleted the DLC to make room on my old school Elite model, and I was reduced to playing the kiddie playlists. Pretty discouraging.

EDIT: I feel like I'm going crazy haha. I just went on Reach to double check, and I'm not seeing the limitation notification like I was before. Maybe I set something up weird? Idk, my bad though

This.

Folding in the DLC to regular playlists, like Reach did, totally sucks. I wanted to replay Reach MP this week, and I had deleted the DLC to make room on my old school Elite model, and I was reduced to playing the kiddie playlists. Pretty discouraging.
You can play almost all reach playlists without dlc.

FyreWulff

I feel like I'm going crazy haha. I just went on Reach to double check, and I'm not seeing the limitation notification like I was before. Maybe I set something up weird? Idk, my bad though.

You were probably misreading it saying "Players are missing recommended content for this playlist"

You were probably misreading it saying "Players are missing recommended content for this playlist"

That could very well be it, but I thought that it prevented me from hitting the "begin search" button. Maybe there's a delay to make sure you read the notification before starting the search? Idk, I'm just going crazy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am still having trouble figuring out the venti is the big and the big is the small one.

It's easy.

"Venti" means "twenty" in Italian, sort of.

"Grande" means "big"

"Tall" means... ok you got me.

But the Apple Crumble Frappucino from Starbucks Tokyo is the greatest thing of all time.

BTW, a few people tweeted/PM'd me about RTX, I won't be there because I am in Iceland. Getting soaked.

Lol, damn, I was hoping I could get you to sign my friends copy of the Halo 2 LE since I borrowed it a couple years ago and use it as paying back "interest". Don't suppose Jessica or Bravo are any good at forging your signature, are they? ;)

Stinkles

Lol, damn, I was hoping I could get you to sign my friends copy of the Halo 2 LE since I borrowed it a couple years ago and use it as paying back "interest". Don't suppose Jessica or Bravo are any good at forging your signature, are they? ;)

If you mail it to me with return postage ready to go, and I mean, all I have to do is put it in an envelope/box, I am happy to do it. Of course it ends up at the mercy of the mail gods.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
BTW, a few people tweeted/PM'd me about RTX, I won't be there because I am in Iceland. Getting soaked.

Could buy a pack of two of their local hot dogs and mustard and bring them back for me? Will pay in margaritas and ramen.

Stinkles

Could buy a pack of two of their local hot dogs and mustard and bring them back for me? Will pay in margaritas and ramen.

Why is everyone obsessed with Icelandic hot dogs?

I will try but I believe technically you can't bring them into the US. If I get thrown in Shawshank it's on you.

Questions for everybody:

Get rid of Halo's shit DLC model.

Halo DLC sales are very low, only serve to fragment the playerbase, and give next to no incentive for people to actually purchase the maps.

Sell armors, skins, other cosmetics. Or sell the points to purchase those cosmetics. You'll make more money that way and have a un-fragmented, longer lasting playerbase.

But to answer your question, assuming that the model would remain the same, forcing DLC requirements on anything more than a fringe hopper is gross.

If you mail it to me with return postage ready to go, and I mean, all I have to do is put it in an envelope/box, I am happy to do it. Of course it ends up at the mercy of the mail gods.

I'll just hang on to it for a little bit longer, i'm brushing up on my button combo skills for the 343 playdate at RTX this weekend. However, you should or should not expect a package of Icelandic sausages arriving by media mail waiting for your John Hancock any year now.

That's a better question for Cliff. However, speaking for myself, I'm very excited about Rod Ferguson coming back to the franchise.

I'm so ready for any Gears news. Rod has a way of interacting with fans on twitter that make him endearing. like how yous guys come to HaloGAF and shoot the shit so to speak.

FyreWulff

That's a better question for Cliff. However, speaking for myself, I'm very excited about Rod Ferguson coming back to the franchise.

Now if he'd only pop into the Gears 2 playlist files and make it 20x exp again

Questions for everybody:

---

The best model still remains Halo 2 for selling DLC. Pay for it for quasi "early" access, then everyone gets it free later so the purchasers can use the content they purchased.

The second best was Halo 3 Mythic, where there was eventually a disc that let all 360s play all Halo 3 maps including Cores, but that's irrelevant on the One

Anything else and the DLC adoption is too low to ever see the content you pay for on a regular basis. I played Reach regularly and the last time I played Highlands in matchmaking is still current on Bungie.net

My opinion at this time, and this would apply to any FPS I would make: all new maps are issued as part of game patches, and you subsidize the DLC via other methods.

Tawpgun

How long you there for? I'm actually going on July 2nd, this wednesday. Going for a month to climb glaciers and volcanoes and shit. heard its awesome

Top Bottom