• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
How long you there for? I'm actually going on July 2nd, this wednesday. Going for a month to climb glaciers and volcanoes and shit. heard its awesome

I went for the first time back in March. It's awesome. Friendly people who don't mind partying till the early hours of the morning. Harsh, almost alien landscape. It's really unlike anywhere else I've visited on earth.

Kick

Neo Member
I made this gif while bored. Enjoy.

FlusteredVeneratedIggypops.gif

-Ryn

Banned
For a frozen, I guess you could say, "Sub-Zero" drink, at a Starbucks.
SUGOI! As to be expected of Stinkles-sempai.

I made this gif while bored. Enjoy.

FlusteredVeneratedIggypops.gif
tumblr_inline_n0ebsiZazX1qklg5y.gif

Not shaving my head. Have Tashi take that role.
You'll star as Beamish's rebellious son who never wanted to inheret the power of bald. So you fight the Covenant with your lushus locks and bombastic 'tude as you search for your missing father.

Grab your mop.
Scrub your follicles.
It's time to take out the trash!

Son of Beamish:
Janitor of the forever

Halo

Halo Ce still the greatest campaign ever. Just hit the library. Can't stop playing,I still love this game.

Anniversary graphics are awesome too.

Yeah, I was watching an old-ish interview that Frank gave to Gamespot about Halo CE Anniversary. He mentioned that the devbox they gave him didn't have any of the levels unlocked for the demo he had to give, so he needed to play through a couple - ended up playing through the whole thing because he couldn't stop.

That made me put my disc back in and proceed to play up until the Library. It really is nice looking, that game. Some of the colour balance stuff was a little off, but for the most part it falls in line with the mood of the original game. I love me some CE - it's going to be fun playing this at 1080p60 come November :D

CEA 3D was probably the only 3D experience I've enjoyed at home multiple times. Great quality there too.

Really wish I had the chance to try this. One day, if I get a 3DTV...

-Ryn

Banned
Just finished my Legendary run if Halo CE.

Damn what an awesome game. The atmosphere, the color, the music, the gameplay, and everything in between is just beautiful and so fun. I haven't had that much fun in such a long time. I'm going to play through it again on Heroic so I don't get wrecked as badly and enjoy it more.

343 did a fantastic job with Anniversary. That terminal on "Keyes" is so tragic and horrifying. I mean seeing how the flood went through his mind really accentuates how terrifying they are.
Dat Halsey though

I really hope Halo 5 or Gaurdians or whatever manages to be so good. 343 has the ability. They just gotta not squander it. The MCC is going to be one hell of a good time.

Now we just gotta wait and see if 343 can stick it.

MCC is going to be a system mover. Doubly so if they have LAN working flawlessly and MLG (or other) pick it up for a season.

I think the best part about the MCC and competitive gaming is that not only is it clean-slate with regards to maps and gametypes meaning that they'll have to start from scratch albeit with all the knowledge on forge trickery they obtained over the years, but now every map is available and you could actually coordinate competitive viability across all four games, which some something that's pretty much unprecedented in the competitive community. It'd basically be like two top-tier Smash players duking it out in Brawl as their mains, and then the loser counterpicks with a stage and character set from Melee.

Combined with universal controller schemes, it'll be pretty cool to see if they make a global Halo circuit that requires intimate knowledge of all four titles.

Madness

MCC is going to be a system mover. Doubly so if they have LAN working flawlessly and MLG (or other) pick it up for a season.

I don't know, I mean I'm not really liking how little gaming sites have talked about the MCC. Plus all the negativity around Xbox One/launch, who knows if people will buy en masse. I hope they do, I already know quite a few people who've either bought one, or as planning to buy an Xbox One this fall, but I also know other people who despite being Halo fans, don't want to buy an Xbox One so they'll forgo the MCC unless it's out on PC.

I hope though, the closer we get to launch, the more we see, the more hype builds beyond just Halo fans.

-Ryn

Banned
I wonder if we will ever get to see that level 12 combat skin that Guilty Spark was talking about? I mean if we were wearing a level 2 combat skin then what in the hell must a 12 be like?

Listening through the Halo OSTs and I have on pertinent question.

Why the fuck wasn't the Halo theme in Halo 4?
It wasn't needlessly different enough for 343's "vision".

I think it was something regarding the rights to the music since Marty stayed with Bungie. Weird how that turned out...

Glad 343 respects the power of the monks by having it in the reveal of TMCC. Hopefully they bring back that level of awe and wonder for Halo 5.

Akai__

I've been reading through the DLC answers and it seems, like most people want the DLC to be re-worked. I agree, that it's not handled good in Halo games and I hope it's something, that 343i is thinking about.

I think something like this would work:

Sell armors, skins, other cosmetics. Or sell the points to purchase those cosmetics. You'll make more money that way and have a un-fragmented, longer lasting playerbase

My opinion at this time, and this would apply to any FPS I would make: all new maps are issued as part of game patches, and you subsidize the DLC via other methods.

---

Listening through the Halo OSTs and I have on pertinent question.

Why the fuck wasn't the Halo theme in Halo 4?

It was, but only in the credits. :(

I think it was something regarding the rights to the music since Marty stayed with Bungie. Weird how that turned out...

That can't be it, because several motifs that were originally Marty's were in Halo 4.

The space monks were in the beginning of Composer, the "One Final Effort" piano motif were in multiple places throughout the OST (the easiest to point to would be the one at the end of Atonement), the e-dorian ascending scale in 117, as well as Never Forget getting the full remix treatment.

I don't know shit about legal stuff, but I don't think rights managment had anything to do with it.

-Ryn

Banned
That can't be it, because several motifs that were originally Marty's were in Halo 4.

The space monks were in the beginning of Composer, the "One Final Effort" piano motif were in multiple places throughout the OST (the easiest to point to would be the one at the end of Atonement), the e-dorian ascending scale in 117, as well as Never Forget getting the full remix treatment.

I don't know shit about legal stuff, but I don't think rights managment had anything to do with it.
Yeah I guess they also had that reworked version of Never Forget at the end of the game too. Strange.

It probably was just a creative difference thing in the end I guess. Davidge had some cool stuff but I honestly feel that the lack of stuff like the original Halo theme and Peril hurt the soundtrack. That and the fact that the sound design was balls. The music that we did get didn't even have many times where it got to shine.

There was another dude who worked on the soundtrack too though. Wasn't he a Japanese dude from another game studio? He made some good stuff if I recall.

This must be seen

Yeah I guess they also had that reworked version of Never Forget at the end of the game too. Strange.

It probably was just a creative difference thing in the end I guess. Davidge had some cool stuff but I honestly feel that the lack of stuff like the original Halo theme and Peril hurt the soundtrack. That and the fact that the sound design was balls. The music that we did get didn't even have many times where it got to shine.

There was another dude who worked on the soundtrack too though. Wasn't he a Japanese dude from another game studio? He made some good stuff if I recall.

Kazuma Jinnouchi, he composed 117 and few other tracks. I think he's 343's in house guy, I'm not sure though. He gets overlooked too easily, he made the best tracks in the OST, imo.

I've been reading through the DLC answers and it seems, like most people want the DLC to be re-worked. I agree, that it's not handled good in Halo games and I hope it's something, that 343i is thinking about.
They should look to PvZ Garden Warfare for a successful model IMO (apparently Mass Effect 3 was similar, but I never tried it out). Have Spartan packs that give you random pieces of armor and weapon details, maybe even skulls for campaign or loadout equipment for Halo 5's fully realized Invasion/Firefight Versus mode.

We've seen for many years what paid map pack DLC does to the community (turns us against each other as we lose faith in the devs) and how it fragments player populations. It's time to try something different.

-Ryn

Banned
Kazuma Jinnouchi, he composed 117 and few other tracks. I think he's 343's in house guy, I'm not sure though. He gets overlooked too easily, he made the best tracks in the OST, imo.
Seems he also did some work on
Metal Gear

117 was one of my favorite, if not the favorite, tracks in Halo 4. Dude really doesn't get enough credit. Maybe he didn't really want publicity? Dude does great stuff.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Not shaving my head. Have Tashi take that role.

They'd have to speak with my Agency. I might be too busy filming the biggest action thriller of 2016 with Brad Pitt in South Korea. Brad and I go way back so I'm throwing him a bone.

Havoc2049

Questions for everybody:

Do people prefer "forced" DLC or optional DLC?

"Forced": Means, without DLC, certain playlists can't be played. (Halo 3 style)

Optional: Every playlist will work. DLC maps only show up, if your current party has the DLC. (Can't explain that very good, but basically how Halo Reach and Halo 4 handled it)

Also, should there be a DLC playlist at all?

Go the Halo 2 DLC map pack route, because DLC in Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4 sucks. I feel like I've wasted my money and barley get to play on the maps. And on the rare occasions when DLC only playlists do come up, the population is always really low.

Another thing they could do to encourage people to buy DLC map packs, is use the Halo 2 model, but if you don't purchase the DLC maps and get it for free, you can't get any of the DLC achievements. Also throw in some weapon and armor skins for people who buy the DLC map packs.

Mistel

Banned
because DLC in Halo 3 sucks. I feel like I've wasted my money and barley get to play on the maps. And on the rare occasions when DLC only playlists do come up, the population is always really low.
Even with the disc in ODST that has all of the maps on it along with it being required for several different playlists?

iMax

It wasn't needlessly different enough for 343's "vision".

Can't be, they used it in the original teaser trailer for the game at E3 2011.

willow ve

I don't know, I mean I'm not really liking how little gaming sites have talked about the MCC. Plus all the negativity around Xbox One/launch, who knows if people will buy en masse. I hope they do, I already know quite a few people who've either bought one, or as planning to buy an Xbox One this fall, but I also know other people who despite being Halo fans, don't want to buy an Xbox One so they'll forgo the MCC unless it's out on PC.

I hope though, the closer we get to launch, the more we see, the more hype builds beyond just Halo fans.
Anecdotally all my halo bros are planning on getting a One. Before the MCC was announced literally none of them were even considering it. I personally was on the fence but MCC put me over. Still not sure I'll play/buy 5 someday, but I'll be getting the One with MCC sometime this fall.

I wonder if we will ever get to see that level 12 combat skin that Guilty Spark was talking about? I mean if we were wearing a level 2 combat skin then what in the hell must a 12 be like?
[/spoiler]

Two theories, with some elaboration:

First Idea:

To elaborate on this theory, I believe this thing from the gif above is either:

-- A War Sphinx, Forerunner combat skin/vehicle

Excerpt from Cryptum concerning War Sphinxes:

Ahead, clearly visible now, not white apes but twelve midsize Forerunner fighting suits, arranged in a wide oval about a hundred meters across the long axis. I had spent long hours studying old weapons and ships, to better distinguish them from more interesting finds. Swallowing back disappointment, I recognized them as war sphinxes—flown into battle by Warrior-Servants in ages past but now found only in museums. Antiques, to be sure, and possibly still active and powerful—but of no interest to me whatsoever.
Each war sphinx was ten meters high and twenty long—larger than contemporary Forerunner suits that served the same function. An elongated tail contained lift and power, and from that, at the front, rose a thick, rounded torso. Atop the torso, smoothly integrated with the overall curvilinear design, perched an abstract head with a stubborn, haughty face—a command cabin.

Not exactly considered advanced tech at that point in Forerunner history ~100 000 years ago. And the size doesn't exactly seem to match up... Though, it is refered to as a midsize (10m high, 20m long), though they, antiques they are, seem to occupy a function similar to their armour at that point.

Alternatively, it could be a new class of War Sphinx, or a seeker of the Builder rate, described as larger, less ornate but more powerful versions of War Sphinxes.

From Cryptum:
Into my narrowing point of view came three powerful, fully operational seekers—longer, sleeker, versions of the Didact’s old war sphinxes. They lacked the scowling features of the older machines—depersonalized, dark, fast.

Also, this image in Terminal 4 from Halo 3, discussing combat skins, notice the depiction on the left side:
Certainly looks like something that can open up with birdlike wings...

-- It could also be a Cryptum (based on the burial, and the big pulse it gives off, just like Didact's Cryptum in Halo 4)

Excerpt from Cryptum (the book) on how to deal with a Cryptum should you run across one:

In the archives of treasure-seekers, such tales were inevitably followed by warnings. If one should come across something called a Cryptum, or a Warrior Keep, one should leave it alone. Violating a Cryptum, whatever it was, came with nasty consequences, not the least of which involved angering the highly protective guild of Warrior-Servants.

-- It could be Mendicant Bias (or even a seeker assigned to protect/defend/contain it), because the giant birdmachine was buried under sand, and in Silentium: The Trial of Mendicant Bias, we note that Didact buries Mendicant Bias in a tomb under sand on the Ark, and I like the idea that this location from the trailer is on the Ark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3YLl2NLVFA

but I digress...

--

Second Idea:
InconsequentialUniqueBobolink.gif

The above is likely Didact's armour before he became all crazy. It's from the cutscene on the Halo 4 level Librarian. I like to think of it as "good Didact" armour. Getting this would be pretty damn sweet, in my opinion. I notice how the image at first appears to be Master Chief, though as he looks up (a trademark Chief movement) the full visor and armour is revealed.

--

All of the above is wishful thinking really, but I'd like to see it. Hell... I'd like to see Chief get BOTH at some point in the next Halo game...

Top Bottom