• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Fuchsdh

Half Life sucks.

I knew I liked you for a reason.

lol awesome

I can understand what you mean. I finished all of them and while I enjoyed it overall (especially Half Life 1 and Black Mesa) there were certainly very monotonous parts where things weren't really happening. Half Life 2 and onwards seemed to have this problem. I'm not sure if it was because they weren't sure what to do with such huge spaces or what but the boredom was a problem.

Like I said though I enjoyed it. Story was fantastic as well as it's implementation and overall flow. The first Half Life I thought felt more tight and enjoyable in its gameplay. It had moments where nothing was happening yeah, but it was done in a way that created an atmosphere as opposed to just nothing going on if that makes sense.

Half-Life is in the same category as Bioshock for me--good storytelling, interesting characters, lore things I care about, but for me they're dragged down by poor gameplay, Half-Life especially. Physics puzzles and platforming in first person is just not fun, the vehicles handle horribly, and I really don't feel like any weapon save explosives feel like they have any impact. I still enjoy going back and playing Bioshock games, but I have no such compulsion with Half-Life.

I've heard that I'd like HL1 would be more my style, but I just have never mustered up the desire.

Mistel

Banned
Half-Life is in the same category as Bioshock for me--good storytelling, interesting characters, lore things I care about, but for me they're dragged down by poor gameplay, Half-Life especially. Physics puzzles and platforming in first person is just not fun, the vehicles handle horribly, and I really don't feel like any weapon save explosives feel like they have any impact. I still enjoy going back and playing Bioshock games, but I have no such compulsion with Half-Life.

I've heard that I'd like HL1 would be more my style, but I just have never mustered up the desire.
Nice idea poor execution? That's pretty much what I felt about bioshock when I play it not that I don't enjoy it's just some of it feels lacking like the combat that makes it weaker. But the setting and story itself I absolutely adore so I don't mind that much.

-Ryn

Banned
I knew I liked you for a reason.

It really sucks that its gameplay doesn't match up to the story in the later games.

The weapons really do feel like they don't have much if any impact (gravity gun is cool though). I would definitely recommend checking out the first Half Life. As I said earlier the gameplay is much tighter and while the weapons still lack a bit of impact they are still fun to use and better than the sequels. The pacing of the game is also top notch but you already knew that and there aren't any annoying vehicle sections.

Only real problems are that the platforming is prevalent in the latter half
-life
of the game and it can be a pain. If you don't like puzzles then that also might be a downside. They aren't really physics based though. Overall I think it's worth giving a shot. Sequels are optional if unless you REALLY like the story.

Trey

HL2 was actually fun to me. I liked it all the way up to the part my Orange Box disc would refuse to play under any circumstance. The Strider bridge, I think.

Says the guy that likes lol destiny.

I don't understand. Destiny kicks Half-Life's ass and I haven't even played it yet. But they're from wildly different eras, so it's hard to compare.

Edit: Portal > TF2 > L4D > Half-Life ; don't know how to play dota, not good enough at video games, same deal with CS

-Ryn

Banned
HL2 was actually fun to me. I liked it all the way up to the part my Orange Box disc would refuse to play under any circumstance. The Strider bridge, I think.
It definitely has plenty of cool parts
especially the end of Episode 2
and overall I enjoyed it but I definitely get why people may find it lacking. The feedback isn't very good, most of the weapons feel like you're shooting spitballs, the physics puzzles can get really grating, and it really starts to phone it in during the later episodes.

In the end it's pretty much love it or hate it I guess.

Omni

Are we expecting anything new at RTX? Or are they just going to show that leaked video to everyone?

I'd like to see some more multiplayer. Hoping for Waterworks still

Mr Croft

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked? Lurked for over a year... Finally decided to make an account

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? 22 from Massachusetts since halo 1... I went to a friends house and he beat me so bad that I said to myself " I will never lose like that in any game"

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games? I own every single halo game. Halo wars is actually one of my faves after halo 2

What mode do you spend most of your time in? Custom games if I'm not selling 50s
(i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)

What is your favorite playlist? MLG, (team snipe snipes is tied with it)
(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

AR or BR? BR all day (played alot of MLG customs)

Highest Halo 3 level and what playlist? 50 (team doubles)

Favorite Halo 2 map? Lockout (midship a close 2nd)

Favorite all-time Halo map? Lockout h2, the pit h3 are tied

- Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of? None

- Any other games you spend a lot of time playing? Right now alot of titanfall closing in on my Gen 10 and of course tomb raider.

- Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.) just got out of the military so hanging out until school starts. I'm a gym rat a martial artist and hardcore gamer of course.

Mix

With our bro Tooshi
Zoojoo and I finally got together
Brpe8pMCAAAjOEp.jpg

Dub117

Are we expecting anything new at RTX? Or are they just going to show that leaked video to everyone?

I'd like to see some more multiplayer. Hoping for Waterworks still
And this is why I shouldn't skip pages on HaloGAF. Anyone have a link to the "leaked" video?

Woorloog

Banned
So, watched, finally (yeah, took me but 13 years to see it), Black Hawk Down.
Pretty good. I rarely like action films (or films at all) but this is one of those exceptions.
Makes me wonder about Halo: Nightfall... Ridley Scott often does epic spectacles. I know Nightfall is just produced by Scott, not directed, but i still wonder if it will be epic, due to his involvement (sure, Scott has done different films too, Blade Runner and Alien come to mind, but they both have, in my opinion, ambitious elements, especially the former).

Woorloog

Banned
Dat Jaime Lannister

We made some jokes about that with my brother and a friend. Quite a lot of big names there, not that i noticed really, unless they were pointed out (i have a rather bad face memory). Plus they all look the same in the film, so the names on the helmets were rather useful.

Bro! My LE was at my apartment, I grabbed whatever was around me lol. I was actually bummed about that because I wanted to use all of my own personal copies for the photo.

You trying to say that picture was in the studio and you don't in fact have Halo posters on your walls??

So, watched, finally (yeah, took me but 13 years to see it), Black Hawk Down.
Pretty good. I rarely like action films (or films at all) but this is one of those exceptions.
Makes me wonder about Halo: Nightfall... Ridley Scott often does epic spectacles. I know Nightfall is just produced by Scott, not directed, but i still wonder if it will be epic, due to his involvement (sure, Scott has done different films too, Blade Runner and Alien come to mind, but they both have, in my opinion, ambitious elements, especially the former).

Sergio Mimica-Gezzan though. Watch season 3 premiere of Battlestar Galactica. One of the best in the series, imo, especially after the cliffhanger ending of season 2.

Makes sense for Halo, too, since he's worked with Spielberg as second unit director for years according to IMDB:

2004 The Terminal (first assistant director)
2002 Catch Me If You Can (first assistant director)
2002 Minority Report (first assistant director)
2001 A.I. Artificial Intelligence (first assistant director)
1999 Inspector Gadget (first assistant director)
1998 Saving Private Ryan (first assistant director)
1997 Amistad (first assistant director)
1997 The Lost World: Jurassic Park (first assistant director)
1996 Independence Day (first assistant director)
1995 How to Make an American Quilt (assistant director)
1994 Renaissance Man (first assistant director)
1993 Schindler's List (first assistant director)

I bet it's gonna be good.

Woorloog

Banned
Sergio Mimica-Gezzan though. Watch season 3 premiere of Battlestar Galactica. One of the best in the series, imo, especially after the cliffhanger ending of season 2.

Makes sense for Halo, too, since he's worked with Spielberg as second unit director for years according to IMDB:

BSG. Hmph. Nice start, interesting concept, quick downhill, some good episodes here and there, season 3 beginning was damn great (though it didn't fit the series really, i think, too "awesome" so to speak), and a really meh ending, though i've seen worse (like Mass Effect 3...).

Guess he fits as a Halo director though.

(Haven't seen most of the films of that list. I'm not a movie person)

BSG. Hmph. Nice start, interesting concept, quick downhill, some good episodes here and there, season 3 beginning was damn great (though it didn't fit the series really, i think, too "awesome" so to speak), and a really meh ending, though i've seen worse (like Mass Effect 3...).

Guess he fits as a Halo director though.

(Haven't seen most of the films of that list. I'm not a movie person)

Agreed about BSG. Fizzled out for me at the end. Sergio only directed 6 episode in BSG though, but the two parts to the season 3 premiere were him. Don't remember much about the others though, I'll have to go back and watch them again some time.

Woorloog

Banned
This:

And

Remind me of all of the wrecks and rusted stuff in fallout more than anything else.

Considering it is supposed to be Russia post-collapse/apocalypse, it is not really surprising.
Arguably all post-apocalyptic depictions resemble each other...

EDIT damn... i should play FO3 again. Walking through ruined Washington DC is... memorable. New Vegas is a better written game but unfortunately it lacks such distinctive places as ruins of Washington DC.

Mr Croft

Considering it is supposed to be Russia post-collapse/apocalypse, it is not really surprising.
Arguably all post-apocalyptic depictions resemble each other...

EDIT damn... i should play FO3 again. Walking through ruined Washington DC is... memorable. New Vegas is a better written game but unfortunately it lacks such distinctive places as ruins of Washington DC.

this
I also feel that their was more to explore in FO3

Top Bottom