• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
When next gen Fallout is finally revealed I will be so effing ecstatic.

PA settings are intriguing, but they must be done carefully, so that they feel good.
If they feel too depressing, don't play them?

I've pretty much stopped. It just bums me out when there's a game I would otherwise be all over (Fallout) but the setting is PA. Destiny gets a pass, though, since the game's overall sensibility is more sci-fi than PA.

Woorloog

Banned
I've pretty much stopped. It just bums me out when there's a game I would otherwise be all over (Fallout) but the setting is PA. Destiny gets a pass, though, since the game's overall sensibility is more sci-fi than PA.

To me, the depressing feel is what makes the genre so different. Though perhaps "melancholy" is a better adjective at times?

However, i can't play too much them. Makes one think too much...

Mistel

Banned
Considering it is supposed to be Russia post-collapse/apocalypse, it is not really surprising.
Arguably all post-apocalyptic depictions resemble each other...

EDIT damn... i should play FO3 again. Walking through ruined Washington DC is... memorable. New Vegas is a better written game but unfortunately it lacks such distinctive places as ruins of Washington DC.
I suppose it has only finite variations the only thing that I can think of that's somewhat different is Logan's run which is arguable really. I prefer New Vegas other than a few parts of DC it felt rather samey to me. The DLC areas such as the divide really stand out as much more appealling places to me:
newvegasdlclonesomeron5s19.jpg
Is anyone else really, really tired of post-apocalypse as a setting? It's all over the place, and totally depressing.
No I rather enjoy it myself. Lots of stuff to do and places to explore it's fun.
When next gen Fallout is finally revealed I will be so effing ecstatic.
I'd be the same way myself dying for another fallout to play.

Woorloog

Banned
You know, i'd love to walk through extensive ruins and not-ruins of a Forerunner metropolis.
And remember that "city" that is visible in Reach's Anniversary Timberland? I want to explore places like that.
Or that "citadel" you can see in Halo 3's The Ark's intro cutscene when the dropships a diving toward the surface.

Fuchsdh

You know, i'd love to walk through extensive ruins and not-ruins of a Forerunner metropolis.
And remember that "city" that is visible in Reach's Anniversary Timberland? I want to explore places like that.
Or that "citadel" you can see in Halo 3's The Ark's intro cutscene when the dropships a diving toward the surface.

Lots of cool options, for sure.

As for apocalyptic stuff, as long as it's not drab :) Loved me some Rapture and Fallout, although as someone living in the DC area it's also just fun to laugh at their geographical compression :p

EDIT: For those who don't remember Ridgeline, this is what Woor's talking about:

Basically, anything 343 can do to make it feel like we can visit parts of these awesome skyboxes. I'd have loved to be able to descend that first cliff-face in Requiem and take a stroll across that massive Forerunner floaty platform thing.

Anyone who is not complete garbage play Halo anymore? Had a teammate go 1 and 17.

Seriously need some half decent people to play with.

Vast majority of people online are fucking horrible at this game. And I'm not even good.

-Ryn

Banned
I do feel that the PA setting has been done, appropriately enough, to death.

Zombie games have probably contributed the most but I think the problem isn't necessarily with it being post apocalyptic so much as it is so many of the games that do it are fairly similar and lack in variety. Lately games seem to have been trying to put a new spin on it like Sunset Overdrive being a parody of the typical setting (the movement looks a little slow though) or... some other game that escapes me at the moment.

Anyway what I like about Destiny is that while yeah it is in a post/in progress apocalypse, still feels like the world isn't completely dead. The sci if element as you stated certainly helps with that. It's also really nice to see such vibrant and varied landscapes. One of the appeals of a PA world I always thought was being able to explore it and see what it could be like.

I'm just looking forward to playing it really. I hope the story is amazing too because it all looks so intriguing.

Woorloog

Banned
although as someone living in the DC area it's also just fun to laugh at their geographical compression :p

IIRC, The Pentagon is one of the largest buildings in the world but it sure as hell didn't seem that big in FO3. And some distances were oddly short, compared to maps... And some settlements were stupidly small. And the game world doesn't have, as far as i can remember, a single farm, making me wonder where the hell do they get food. FONV at very least had some farms.

Speaking of geographic locations, Bungie's vision of the futuristic Mombasa was interesting, and the amount of work they've put into making the city geographically accurate, minus the changes brought by global warming and city expansion, is respectable. If you compare the map of Mombasa to Halo's Mombasa's map... well, it is damn close.

And this reminds me of a bit meh thing in Halo 4: New Phoenix. A North American city, why? Why not pick some other place, like something from South America or Asia? One thing i really liked about Halo 2 is how Bungie actively avoided making the defense of Earth focusing on the US (or even North America. Or even Europe).
I mean, i get that the Didact heads straight to Earth and doesn't bother circling it to find another city, but even then, i wonder if there'd be a more populous city in North America in Halo. Considering the Didact's goal is to exterminate humans (and make himself an army), hitting the most populous place is very logical.

EDIT and speaking of skyboxes and places you can see in games but not visit... it is funny how interesting those places are when they're inaccessible, but when you can, they are no longer that interesting (though exceptions exist, also this doesn't mean places you can visit are not interesting)

I do feel that the PA setting has been done, appropriately enough, to death.

Zombie games have probably contributed the most but I think the problem isn't necessarily with it being post apocalyptic so much as it is so many of the games that do it are fairly similar and lack in variety. Lately games seem to have been trying to put a new spin on it like Sunset Overdrive being a parody of the typical setting (the movement looks a little slow though) or... some other game that escapes me at the moment.

Anyway what I like about Destiny is that while yeah it is in a post/in progress apocalypse, still feels like the world isn't completely dead. The sci if element as you stated certainly helps with that. It's also really nice to see such vibrant and varied landscapes. One of the appeals of a PA world I always thought was being able to explore it and see what it could be like.

I'm just looking forward to playing it really. I hope the story is amazing too because it all looks so intriguing.

It really does look very cool. Sunset Overdrive is another I'm interested in for pretty much the reason you stated: trying to put a new spin on it. I'd also like it if a PA game dealt more with rebuilding than just surviving.

Fuchsdh

IIRC, The Pentagon is one of the largest buildings in the world but it sure as hell didn't seem that big in FO3. And some distances were oddly short, compared to maps... And some settlements were stupidly small. And the game world doesn't have, as far as i can remember, a single farm, making me wonder where the hell do they get food. FONV at very least had some farms.

Well, obviously there are technical constraints, which I guess makes me more excited about stuff you could do with next-gen in terms of creating a huge, fully explorable world like Skyrim. If you translate that towards actually trying to replicate what a ruined DC Metro Area would be like, it could be incredibly cool. The best places to visit are those that feel like they had a purpose, hence why I love poking around in Rapture's toilets. If 343 managed to pull that off with Forerunner stuff that'd be very cool too. Actually exploring some sort of scientific or civilian installation--where it's not just inscrutable blocks and much more about a living area.

I prefer New Vegas other than a few parts of DC it felt rather samey to me.

I more or less enjoyed Fallout 3, but I haven't played all of New Vegas (more of an Elder Scrolls guy, despite it going downhill since Morrowind). I think what I played of New Vegas was way more interesting as far as story and actual roleplaying goes, like the factions reminded me more of Morrowind-style.

From what I've seen though:

Fallout 3:

New Vegas:

Lots of cool options, for sure.

As for apocalyptic stuff, as long as it's not drab :) Loved me some Rapture and Fallout, although as someone living in the DC area it's also just fun to laugh at their geographical compression :p

EDIT: For those who don't remember Ridgeline, this is what Woor's talking about:

Basically, anything 343 can do to make it feel like we can visit parts of these awesome skyboxes. I'd have loved to be able to descend that first cliff-face in Requiem and take a stroll across that massive Forerunner floaty platform thing.

=O

I forgot about that Ridgeline! *scribbles in OneNote*

People gave 343i flack for their skyboxes not being as good as Bungie's (kinda true so far), but even back in Reach, 343 have done an excellent job integrating the maps into the universe - the locations are just way more interesting when you sit back and get into it, even despite the gameplay itself on them being weak or broken.

But yes, some sort of rolling-release title in the vein of Spartan Ops exploring locations and times across the halo universe could be awesome (unlike the largely un-awesomeness of Halo 4's rendition, mind you). Though there would have to be some serious overhauls to the structure to make it work, like not being tied to any particular Halo mainline release. Basically the same idea of what Halo MP should be. I could see it as a Mario 64-style Peach Castle with paintings to anywhere and when in the Halo timeline, and new "paintings" can be added over time like MP DLC packs, except over the course of years... Though that kinda sounds a bit like Destiny...

--

Also, above Destiny panoramas are from latest weekly update:

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11623

Bungie and company will be doing some PVP vs community at RTX this weekend for Destiny to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Not sure if it will be broadcast on Twitch. Not super hyped about PVP though... gonna have to get my hands on it, but I'm not holding my breath. The meat is in the co-op stuff for me.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm still waiting for the day that we get to explore something like this
ENS_MPv01.jpg

in a game. Whether it is actually Halo or what, I don't care. The city looks majestic and it's one of the reasons I think it would be cool to have a game based on the Forerunners that is semi open world or something. Or even have Chief explore the ruins of an actual city. Getting to see what they lived like would be so cool.

It really does look very cool. Sunset Overdrive is another I'm interested in for pretty much the reason you stated: trying to put a new spin on it. I'd also like it if a PA game dealt more with rebuilding than just surviving.
I find it weird that there haven't been that many game that have capitalized on that idea. I mean having a game where you start out surviving but slowly work towards rebuilding the world could be really cool. Imagine something like Minecraft (not the look just the concept) where you are able to create entire cities but with an actual function in the game.

I mean what if there was a multiplayer game like that (possibly MMO in size) where you could work together with other players to not only survive but create a living breathing society in the game. People could create cities and try to make the greatest one possible while also surviving against not only the worlds environments and enemies but also other players. Some may even make a union between their cities.

That's just an idea but I think it could be awesome and I can't really think of a game like that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still waiting for the day that we get to explore something like this
ENS_MPv01.jpg

in a game. Whether it is actually Halo or what, I don't care. The city looks majestic and it's one of the reasons I think it would be cool to have a game based on the Forerunners that is semi open world or something. Or even have Chief explore the ruins of an actual city. Getting to see what they lived like would be so cool.
That type of environment doesn't interest me much, personally. Something more wild and overgrown is more appealing to me. Something like Installation 04 or Requiem, basically. Remember when a ton of people thought / hoped that Requiem would be open world? People were talking about hurtling down the inside of the sphere in a Warthog, traversing from one distant land mark to another. That would've been awesome.

I find it weird that there haven't been that many game that have capitalized on that idea. I mean having a game where you start out surviving but slowly work towards rebuilding the world could be really cool. Imagine something like Minecraft (not the look just the concept) where you are able to create entire cities but with an actual function in the game.

I mean what if there was a multiplayer game like that (possibly MMO in size) where you could work together with other players to not only survive but create a living breathing society in the game. People could create cities and try to make the greatest one possible while also surviving against not only the worlds environments and enemies but also other players. Some may even make a union between their cities.

That's just an idea but I think it could be awesome and I can't really think of a game like that.

The recent spate of survival games (DayZ, Rust, etc.) have the potential to be something like that, but they tend to focus on pvp at the expense of everything else. Like, the Stomping Lands hit early access, and practically the only things that actually work are the griefing mechanics. It doesn't even need to be that open; make it an RPG or shooter or what have you and have the plot be about rebuilding after the end.

That type of environment doesn't interest me much, personally. Something more wild and overgrown is more appealing to me. Something like Installation 04 or Requiem, basically. Remember when a ton of people thought / hoped that Requiem would be open world? People were talking about hurtling down the inside of the sphere in a Warthog, traversing from one distant land mark to another. That would've been awesome.

Still a possibility, Requiem doesn't get destroyed until 6 months after Halo, and according to the next Escalation issue,
Chief leaves within 72 hours. So there could be a part where Chief goes back alone exploring there...
Love the idea of the series of shells within shells of Requiem, but the scale of the exploration bits in Halo 4 was really disappointing. Nice environments, but too narrow, not enough grand-scale wonder like Alpha Halo, hell, even Delta Halo or the Ark.

Alternatively, Trevelyan (
shield world within Onyx
) is another possibility, in control by ONI "right now". It's the largest known Forerunner installation with a diametre twice that of the distance between Earth and the Sun - 2 AU. That's like 300 million km wide (
yet only 23 cm when in the slipspace bubble inside Onyx!
), with a surface area of about 255 quadrillion km^2... 500 million times the surface area of Earth... More than explorable, I think!

Then again, doing a Dyson Sphere in a FPS game is hard as shit, just look at the techniques 343 had to employ just to get a small one to make sense visually from the inside. Even in Halo Wars CG cutscenes it was hard to understand without crazy swooping cameras and "cheating" perspectives:

Apparently you can't even detect the curvature of Trevelyan without a telescope due to its size, atmospheric distortions, the actual "full size" star in the centre, etc, so visually it wouldn't really be that crazy (maybe, prove me wrong artists!).

Still, I think a Halo or other non-enclosed megadesigns like the Ark work better for that sense of Forerunner awe and scale in a skybox. 343 did some good work with the Halo on the Ascension remake, apparently the entire thing spins underneath the map, too, imagine being able to drive or fly a complete loop around a Halo? How would you even develop that?
would take forever...

Speaking of geographic locations, Bungie's vision of the futuristic Mombasa was interesting, and the amount of work they've put into making the city geographically accurate, minus the changes brought by global warming and city expansion, is respectable. If you compare the map of Mombasa to Halo's Mombasa's map... well, it is damn close.

And this reminds me of a bit meh thing in Halo 4: New Phoenix. A North American city, why? Why not pick some other place, like something from South America or Asia? One thing i really liked about Halo 2 is how Bungie actively avoided making the defense of Earth focusing on the US (or even North America. Or even Europe).
I mean, i get that the Didact heads straight to Earth and doesn't bother circling it to find another city, but even then, i wonder if there'd be a more populous city in North America in Halo. Considering the Didact's goal is to exterminate humans (and make himself an army), hitting the most populous place is very logical.

No clue why Didact chose that city, really. Seems pretty arbitrary.

It is the United Republic of North America now apparently - assimilation of USA, Mexico and Canada happened at some point I guess. (latest info from Escalation 7)

edit: just checked, apparently New Phoenix is the 4th most populated city in the URNA, next to NYC, LA, and the "Greater Chicago Industrial Zone" (Contact Harvest: the Zone is a vast urban sprawl covering large parts of the "former" states of Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana). The Halo Encyclopedia describes the United Republic of North America as being composed of Canada, Mexico, and "the political remnants of the United States".

Quebec is Hudson Bay? lol...

I admit Mombasa is way cooler than Phoenix. About it being modelled after real-world Mombasa geography, huh, you're right, I had no clue. Mind blown. Bungie being awesome as usual.

Changes of New Mombasa are fun to see, too:

E3 2003:

Interestingly this was actually used again as a new location in Halo Legends: Origins (
like a few other scrapped "geometries" from the games from what I've seen - "the Lost City is a MUCH better, and way more intriguing example
):

Halo 2:

Halo 3 ODST:

I wonder if those massive skyscrapers are meant to "spin" into the direction of the wind like fins...? Interesting the space tether moved from the central island in Halo 2 to its own in ODST. And the city got much bigger in ODST, too.

Real life:

Overlay:

Bonus Forge World:

That's a rather legitimate criticism especially for the earlier parts of new vegas there is quite a lot of that. But once you get further in it picks up especially in the later areas and the dlc if you've got it.
(that image was a single colour based on the average in the image you posted lol)

I don't have the DLC, sadly. Didn't end up completing New Vegas, since I played it almost back-to-back off of F3 and was a bit burnt out by then. In my opinion Bethesda should just hand the rights to Obsidian for Fallout and maybe even Elder Scrolls going forward. Maybe not their artists, but their writing and quest design have just gone downhill for a decade now. Still love them, and can't wait to see what they're working on next, but if it is that same damn engine again I will weep. I will go back and finish New Vegas one day though (with ample amounts of mods), because I hear it is an improvement over 3 in most respects.

-Ryn

Banned
I guess it just appeals to my curiosity. Being able to see what their cities were like vs ours.

It would've been awesome to explore ruins though like you described. I was in the same boat of wanting some open world aspect in 4 One of the things I didn't really like though was how pristine and ridiculously well kept everything looked. It is weird. I mean it doesn't need to be Halo 2 levels of ancient but then again those were apparently human in design so... yeah.

Halo 5 could always do something open world.
Beli343

The recent spate of survival games (DayZ, Rust, etc.) have the potential to be something like that, but they tend to focus on pvp at the expense of everything else. Like, the Stomping Lands hit early access, and practically the only things that actually work are the griefing mechanics. It doesn't even need to be that open; make it an RPG or shooter or what have you and have the plot be about rebuilding after the end.
Something like that yeah. I'm fine with PvP and it can definitely bring some awesome stuff to the table, however things need to be balanced out so that people don't just decide it would be better to go troll the neighboring town.

If a single player game like that could be created though that felt just as engaging and most of all, fun, I'd be down.

---

On another note
master-chick-vs-samus-dance-o.gif

Monty sure has come far

daedalius

Still a possibility, Requiem doesn't get destroyed until 6 months after Halo, and according to the next Escalation issue,
Chief leaves within 72 hours. So there could be a part where Chief goes back alone exploring there...
Love the idea of the series of shells within shells of Requiem, but the scale of the exploration bits in Halo 4 was really disappointing. Nice environments, but too narrow, not enough grand-scale wonder like Alpha Halo, hell, even Delta Halo or the Ark.

Alternatively, Trevelyan (
shield world within Onyx
) is another possibility, in control by ONI "right now". It's the largest known Forerunner installation with a diametre twice that of the distance between Earth and the Sun - 2 AU. That's like 300 million km wide (
yet only 23 cm when in the slipspace bubble inside Onyx!
), with a surface area of about 255 quadrillion km^2... 500 million times the surface area of Earth... More than explorable, I think!

Then again, doing a Dyson Sphere in a FPS game is hard as shit, just look at the techniques 343 had to employ just to get a small one to make sense visually from the inside. Even in Halo Wars CG cutscenes it was hard to understand without crazy swooping cameras and "cheating" perspectives:

Apparently you can't even detect the curvature of Trevelyan without a telescope due to its size, atmospheric distortions, the actual "full size" star in the centre, etc, so visually it wouldn't really be that crazy (maybe, prove me wrong artists!).

Still, I think a Halo or other non-enclosed megadesigns like the Ark work better for that sense of Forerunner awe and scale in a skybox. 343 did some good work with the Halo on the Ascension remake, apparently the entire thing spins underneath the map, too, imagine being able to drive or fly a complete loop around a Halo? How would you even develop that?
would take forever...

Where is the preview of the next issue? I just finished the current one... definitely more of a personal story for Thorne.

Omni

Something something jetpack makes me want to buy PS4 instead of an Xbone /sobs.

I can't think of one situation where someone has used jetpack to kill me and I've felt like it was fair. Can't handle it. Halo 2 can't get here soon enough

Top Bottom