• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

I guess it just appeals to my curiosity. Being able to see what their cities were like vs ours.

It would've been awesome to explore ruins though like you described. I was in the same boat of wanting some open world aspect in 4 One of the things I didn't really like though was how pristine and ridiculously well kept everything looked. It is weird. I mean it doesn't need to be Halo 2 levels of ancient but then again those were apparently human in design so... yeah.

Halo 5 could always do something open world.
Beli343

Bungie wanted to do this for Halo 3 at one point, but it got cut. Supposedly the environment just became too massive for the 360 to handle. From Paul Russel's Picasa (
pretty influential environment artist for Bungie CE-Reach, think he left and became an artist at Certain Affinity, not sure if he's still there though
)

The "Lost City":
4vgwmmg.jpg

ry3cf8M.jpg

MX9eyHQ.jpg

Tt5tNFe.jpg

Here's the location used again near the beginning of Halo Legends: Origins I, and then it later destroyed post-Halo Activation:

The location's segment in Halo Legends is pretty interesting to interpret, anyway, and it was the source of inspiration for a previous "gifstory" I posted in the Lore thread with the Forerunner Armour. The scene I'm talking about.

Bungie likely used some of that stuff for inspiration for various elements on the Ark, like the Cartographer:

Bonus Minecraft Edition:

tidbit:

Apparently, Russel is the guy who made the original texture for the Eld/Tree/Mantle glyph that we see freaking everywhere now, many years ago for CE (among many other things). Kinda funny reading his reactions on Twitter to it being a central and core image/concept now in Halo story with 343i: https://twitter.com/Dr_Abominable/status/463074150232248320

--

Like the Dynamic tower?

Woah. That's gonna be a thing? so... yes then. though the real-life one is cooler than the giant fin buildings in halo:

HandsomeCorruptFoxterrier.gif

--

Where is the preview of the next issue? I just finished the current one... definitely more of a personal story for Thorne.

Definitely. Kind of upset about it to be honest, didn't really do much for the big story, but there's a lot of backstory tidbits if you care about that stuff. Though it could have more relevance later as much of 343's fiction does... Just too bad it couldn't have had some better artwork to go along with it, but that's an issue I've had with Escalation for a while, aside from the covers which are complete teases every damn time even when they don't pan out.

Here is the preview.
"The Master Chief returns in “The Next 72 Hours: Part 1”! After defeating the Didact, John-117 joined the crew of Infinity . . . but why did he leave? The mystery begins here. Halo® lead writer Brian Reed (Amazing Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel) reveals the secret events that immediately follow the end of Halo 4."

Would you like a chance to win a super sweet Limited Edition Spartan Emile Figure (like the one below on top)?
All weekend during RTX we'll be looking for all your best ‪#‎Chiefselfie‬ -- that's a selfie with any chief of your choice (like the one below on bottom); At RTX and anywhere else. Tag it, share it, that's all you need to do for a chance to win. Get creative! We want to see how you #Chiefselfie. You can post it here on Facebook, on Twitter or Instagram (@halo). We'll be watching!

guys who wants to be my camera man

mom pass me my master chief shirt

-Ryn

Banned
Fireworks are cool
fireworkspewpew.gif

Bungie wanted to do this for Halo 3 at one point, but it got cut. Supposedly the environment just became too massive for the 360 to handle. From Paul Russel's Picasa (
pretty influential environment artist for Bungie CE-Reach, think he left and became an artist at Certain Affinity, not sure if he's still there though
)

The "Lost City":

Here's the location used again near the beginning of Halo Legends: Origins I, and then it later destroyed post-Halo Activation:

The location's segment in Halo Legends is pretty interesting to interpret, anyway, and it was the source of inspiration for a previous "gifstory" I posted in the Lore thread with the Forerunner Armour. The scene I'm talking about.

Bungie likely used some of that stuff for inspiration for various elements on the Ark, like the Cartographer:

Bonus Minecraft Edition:

tidbit:

Apparently, Russel is the guy who made the original texture for the Eld/Tree/Mantle glyph that we see freaking everywhere now, many years ago for CE (among many other things). Kinda funny reading his reactions on Twitter to it being a central and core image/concept now in Halo story with 343i: https://twitter.com/Dr_Abominable/status/463074150232248320

--

Woah. That's gonna be a thing? so... yes then. though the real-life one is cooler than the giant fin buildings in halo:

HandsomeCorruptFoxterrier.gif

--

Definitely. Kind of upset about it to be honest, didn't really do much for the big story, but there's a lot of backstory tidbits if you care about that stuff. Though it could have more relevance later as much of 343's fiction does... Just too bad it couldn't have had some better artwork to go along with it, but that's an issue I've had with Escalation for a while, aside from the covers which are complete teases every damn time even when they don't pan out.

Here is the preview.
"The Master Chief returns in “The Next 72 Hours: Part 1”! After defeating the Didact, John-117 joined the crew of Infinity . . . but why did he leave? The mystery begins here. Halo® lead writer Brian Reed (Amazing Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel) reveals the secret events that immediately follow the end of Halo 4."
What!?

That is so awesome! It's really a shame that so much cool stuff get cut. I mean damn so many good ideas that are either too much for hardware or the deadline kills it off. That would've been great to explore. I mean if we had an open world Halo I would want to go there at some point.

It's weird because I used to want them to keep things ambiguous as they slowly revealed the true nature of the Forerunners and their history. I loved how Bungie handled that. However now because the mystery is all but gone I figure that it would just be cool to learn about their culture and whatnot. Like did the have malls or space Walmart? What kind of things did they do for fun? What was a citizens life like who wasn't up the butthole of galactic politics? Maybe this just interests me...

That twitter conversation was both cool and really funny too read. I mean what must that be like for the dude? Probably really surreal and just funny that a symbol they haphazardly picked because it looked awesome is now the center of the lore. I wonder how often that happens in fiction?

---

THAT TOWER LOOKS LIKE MAGIC

---

It sucks that the art is so lame for the comics. I'm probably just going to check out a wiki to understand everything. I hope they manage to make everything understandable to people who didn't read this stuff in the actual game too because it sounds fairly plot heavy.

Oh god my weapons and armor reset and now I'm hearing palmer in the intro

powerrangers.gif
USE THE DRAGON BLADE

Same thing happened to me and I was not a happy Spartan

willow ve

Why are you playing CTF if you're just going to idle your player in the lower level of the base? What is the point of that? Also Neutral Flag needs to die.

GoDs DeMoNaToR

Neo Member
I went to watch a random video on YouTube

I got greeted by a "Halo" advertisement.

I got really excited for a second.

I realized it was a 5 minute ad by none other than Halo4Follower.

I vomited in my mouth.

Halo 4s team slayer playlist would be amazing of infinity slayer wasn't the first option.

It's incredible the amount of people either don't vote for a gametype, or simply choose the first option regardless of what it is.

It would really show whether the majority of the population that's left at this stage either prefer infinity slayer, or just don't give a fuck what they play.

Legendary BRs is an awesome gametype. But when playing infinity, not having the ability to pick up enemy grenades by default is so fucking stupid.

Nebula

Halo 4s team slayer playlist would be amazing of infinity slayer wasn't the first option.

It's incredible the amount of people either don't vote for a gametype, or simply choose the first option regardless of what it is.

It would really show whether the majority of the population that's left at this stage either prefer infinity slayer, or just don't give a fuck what they play.

Legendary BRs is an awesome gametype. But when playing infinity, not having the ability to pick up enemy grenades by default is so fucking stupid.

Wait a minute? Since when did you play 4?

Yup agreed.
About Legendary BRs, what's the real reason for it? Maybe perhaps the 4sk, sprint + pickup enemy grenades became a tad unbalanced?

Let's hope not.

What's wrong with Gandhi? I don't really know him aside from when he was lead trashtalker on Carbon back in the halo 2 days, but I know he's been commentating now for a while and he's pretty decent at that. He's one of the few from MLG that stuck around during Halo 4's drought. He uncool for some reason lol?

also gandhi hopping

I'm hoping they include some sort of terrain shaping too. Steal if from the Project Spark guys if you have to, 343, just let us really go nuts!

Yeah, terrain shaping needs to happen somehow. Forge pieces need more than tiny lined paint though, I wonder if it would be possible to have coloured "lights" like on the 343i-style forerunner stuff.

Something like this:

What's wrong with Gandhi? I don't really know him aside from when he was lead trashtalker on Carbon back in the halo 2 days, but I know he's been commentating now for a while and he's pretty decent at that. He's one of the few from MLG that stuck around during Halo 4's drought. He uncool for some reason lol?

The bolded was the pinnacle of his Halo career. He hasn't casted anything Halo in forever and it's clear most of the time that he doesn't have anywhere near the intimate knowledge of it he had during the Halo 3 days and earlier.

Not to mention, from 343's POV, he would not be worth it from a PR perspective.

He's decent at casting and he's gotten better at it over the years, but I don't see what position he should be given at the company on that alone.

EDIT: My point is basically that he's more a personality at this point than a player when it comes to Halo.

Yeah, terrain shaping needs to happen somehow. Forge pieces need more than tiny lined paint though, I wonder if it would be possible to have coloured "lights" like on the 343i-style forerunner stuff.

Something like this:

Gorgeous. What might work is having a variety of default textures for each piece, or just including a simple color slider on certain ones.

FyreWulff

Halo 5 Forge needs terrain editing at minimum. Halo 4 should be the last iteration of the H3-era Forge style.

Something like this:

They need two options: the line color, and a whole-piece color. Although I always thought they went with the subtle coloring in Reach because it was possible for the colors to be lost in a host switch, so if a map depended on a Coliseum Wall being orange, it would have broken the map. So at least the subtle coloring was sort of a built-in failsafe for that.

Halo 5 Forge needs terrain editing at minimum. Halo 4 should be the last iteration of the H3-era Forge style.

They need two options: the line color, and a whole-piece color. Although I always thought they went with the subtle coloring in Reach because it was possible for the colors to be lost in a host switch, so if a map depended on a Coliseum Wall being orange, it would have broken the map. So at least the subtle coloring was sort of a built-in failsafe for that.

Well supposedly it's an all new engine, so recreating Forge within the same limitations of 360-era Forge would be really, really disappointing. Still curious to see the changes to the 3 Forge versions in MCC, too.

Agreed for the "primary"/"secondary" colour idea. Though only colours would be a bit disappointing, too. Texturing might be hard to make nice, but I would still like to make a Covenant looking map instead of just Forerunner/UNSC looking all the time. In short: PURPLE, please.

Interesting about the Host-switch thing, I wonder how dedicated servers are going to affect that going forward.

Yeah, simple stuff >

Mmm tasty TitanFall training.

I think 343i should include something like that as mandatory before allowing anyone to even play multiplayer. Remember the "Basic Training" playlist in Halo 3? Like that but not as poopy.

-Ryn

Banned

Something like this:
It would be cool if you could put designs onto pieces. Whether it's a list of preset patterns or designs that can be layered, it could certainly add more diversity to design.

I wonder if we ever will actually get a terrain editing system though. I mean textures I can see happening. Being able to actually restructure the map itself though...

I mean it would be super cool if we could and I'm all for it, but I'm not expecting anything. I'm still holding out for a set of interactive pieces like doors, buttons, and elevators or whatever. I love maps that could beanipulated to change the tide of battle.

Yeah, simple stuff >
Titanfall has some really nice levels. Lagoon is probably my favorite in aesthetics and overall design.

In terms of less is more though the new DLC level they put out that takes place in a simulator looks pretty cool. The the neon coloring and lights bring Tron to mind though.

THE GAME IS FUCKING BEAUTIFUL
WILL IT MAKE ME CRY?

THE GAME IS FUCKING BEAUTIFUL

jelly as fuck. might not even get to go to pax this year either, missed out on tickets AGAIN. patience, greencastle.

It would be cool if you could put designs onto pieces. Whether it's a list of preset patterns or designs that can be layered, it could certainly add more diversity to design.

I wonder if we ever will actually get a terrain editing system though. I mean textures I can see happening. Being able to actually restructure the map itself though...

I mean it would be super cool if we could and I'm all for it, but I'm not expecting anything. I'm still holding out for a set of interactive pieces like doors, buttons, and elevators or whatever. I love maps that could beanipulated to change the tide of battle.

Well freaking Far Cry 1 had it on the OG Xbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nU2iU8Eiw4

I mean, I know it's a vastly different engine, but still... There's no reason other than time/money I think with Halo 5, considering it's a new engine (
I know nothing of game development
).

Fuchsdh

jelly as fuck. might not even get to go to pax this year either, missed out on tickets AGAIN. patience, greencastle.

Well freaking Far Cry 1 had it on the OG Xbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nU2iU8Eiw4

I mean, I know it's a vastly different engine, but still... There's no reason other than time/money I think with Halo 5, considering it's a new engine (
I know nothing of game development
).

Well there's two obvious concerns I have--one, accessibility. Sure it's great if some Forgers can do awesome stuff, but if you can't get regular people interested in Forging it's going to be a waste. Secondly, Far Cry maps ≠ Halo maps. Terrain deformation is nice and all but if you want to design maps for competitive play you need very precise tools, not just "look I made an island now I plunk down objects" like Far Cry, Pariah (was I the only person who played that game?) or the like.

belushy

Banned
Well there's two obvious concerns I have--one, accessibility. Sure it's great if some Forgers can do awesome stuff, but if you can't get regular people interested in Forging it's going to be a waste. Secondly, Far Cry maps ≠ Halo maps. Terrain deformation is nice and all but if you want to design maps for competitive play you need very precise tools, not just "look I made an island now I plunk down objects" like Far Cry, Pariah (was I the only person who played that game?) or the like.

You sure?

I know what you mean.

Mix

Yeah Halo 2A. The graphics switch is as seamless as it looks online obviously and don't get me wrong, halo 2A looks gorgeous at the 1080/60 it's running at (it whatever it is running at) but 60fps classic Halo 2 looks unfuckingbelievable. I am so hyped. You should be too. It looks better than you think it does, both original and anniversary.

FyreWulff

Yeah Halo 2A. The graphics switch is as seamless as it looks online obviously and don't get me wrong, halo 2A looks gorgeous at the 1080/60 it's running at (it whatever it is running at) but 60fps classic Halo 2 looks unfuckingbelievable. I am so hyped. You should be too. It looks better than you think it does, both original and anniversary.

Can confirm, bought Halo 2 PC

Mix

Tomorrow's panel is going to be multiplayer focused, expect certain affinity guys as well as 343 guys, maybe a new map or two.

ALSO, we were told that there will be a unified ranking system during the demo for halo 2A

Top Bottom