• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Well there's two obvious concerns I have--one, accessibility. Sure it's great if some Forgers can do awesome stuff, but if you can't get regular people interested in Forging it's going to be a waste. Secondly, Far Cry maps ≠ Halo maps. Terrain deformation is nice and all but if you want to design maps for competitive play you need very precise tools, not just "look I made an island now I plunk down objects" like Far Cry, Pariah (was I the only person who played that game?) or the like.

Hmm... Then I suggest splitting Forge into "heroic", "legendary", and "mythic" modes via either a game-mode switch or menu option in pause screen. I remember a post on HaloGAF awhile back about it, just can't remember.

Heroic would be simple weapon/spawn editing and physics-based object editing (crates, sandbags, etc) like Halo 2 options / Halo 3 Forge.

Legendary would be all the above, and more Halo 4-style, with walls, floors, windows, and other building block type stuff, etc.

Mythic would be the bees knees. All the above plus colours, lights, texture painting, terrain editing, whole building-placements, etc.

Yeah Halo 2A. The graphics switch is as seamless as it looks online obviously and don't get me wrong, halo 2A looks gorgeous at the 1080/60 it's running at (it whatever it is running at) but 60fps classic Halo 2 looks unfuckingbelievable. I am so hyped. You should be too. It looks better than you think it does, both original and anniversary.

Some questions, if you noticed:

Does the switch have a slight fade-in/out to make less "jarring" than just off/on?

For classic Halo 2 (campaign or multi), did you notice any anti-aliasing, higher res textures, ambient occlusion, or bi/tri/anisotropic filtering?

Mix

Some questions, if you noticed:

Does the switch have a slight fade-in/out to make less "jarring" than just off/on?

For classic Halo 2 (campaign or multi), did you notice any anti-aliasing, higher res textures, ambient occlusion, or bi/tri/anisotropic filtering?
The switch, being instantaneous, is not as jarring in live gameplay as the pre-captured, youtube compressed footage makes it out to be. It's a straight switch, no fade out at all and it's much more comfortable on the eyes than you'd expect.
If I were to say it, I could be wrong but it looks as though the anti-aliasing has been extremely improved upon. As well, the textures look cleaner, but take it with a grain of salt, as it could be what I remember. It was about 2 hours ago that I saw it and I was just so impressed that I honestly don't recall.

Tomorrow's panel is going to be multiplayer focused, expect certain affinity guys as well as 343 guys, maybe a new map or two.

ALSO, we were told that there will be a unified ranking system during the demo for halo 2A

Halo 2s ranking system confirmed for halo 1-4.

Please.
edit. Hold on. Nvm.

Welp if 343 does it or something even better like how you guys said a similar ranking system like Starcraft 2 would be really cool.

Yeah Halo 2A. The graphics switch is as seamless as it looks online obviously and don't get me wrong, halo 2A looks gorgeous at the 1080/60 it's running at (it whatever it is running at) but 60fps classic Halo 2 looks unfuckingbelievable. I am so hyped. You should be too. It looks better than you think it does, both original and anniversary.

Tomorrow's panel is going to be multiplayer focused, expect certain affinity guys as well as 343 guys, maybe a new map or two.

ALSO, we were told that there will be a unified ranking system during the demo for halo 2A

neat-o. glad the panel will be interesting and not just rehashing E3

-Ryn

Banned
jelly as fuck. might not even get to go to pax this year either, missed out on tickets AGAIN. patience, greencastle.

Well freaking Far Cry 1 had it on the OG Xbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nU2iU8Eiw4

I mean, I know it's a vastly different engine, but still... There's no reason other than time/money I think with Halo 5, considering it's a new engine (
I know nothing of game development
).
Well there's two obvious concerns I have--one, accessibility. Sure it's great if some Forgers can do awesome stuff, but if you can't get regular people interested in Forging it's going to be a waste. Secondly, Far Cry maps ≠ Halo maps. Terrain deformation is nice and all but if you want to design maps for competitive play you need very precise tools, not just "look I made an island now I plunk down objects" like Far Cry, Pariah (was I the only person who played that game?) or the like.

Oh they can do it. There is no doubt in my mind. They have the resources and I doubt the One would have problems with it. I just don't think they would. At least not on the scale Far Cry did.

For one I don't know if MS would want to essentially give players unlimited access to new maps for free. I'm not saying they're evil or something, just that it might take away from their DLC model (which I hate and wish would work like Halo 2 did). Not that it has to. I could see them doing micropayments for new forge pieces and junk that isn't part of the base release set. That would be lame though.

The other reason is accessibility and precision like Fuchsdh said.

Halo is very dependent on movement and using the maps (though that applies to any game to some degree). I'm not super familiar with Far Cry multiplayer but from what I've seen before, it looks to play differently so there's that. If they manage to make it have precise editing tools then I can see it working but it would probably be a lot of work (that would totally pay off). Without that though the terrain editing would probably be viable for party game types and that kind of thing but not competitively. Not that I would mind, since the other tools would still be there and could be used on other maps.

I'm no cartographer though so what I'm saying could be totally wrong.

FyreWulff

Terrain editing would allow you to create BTB maps with really good performance, allow you to have better orientation (you could make mountains in the background on one side, for example), and in general allows you to have more variety in map creation.

Far Cry's editor was more advanced that Halo's, but I feel the time has come to strap the map makers with better tools, 'party forge' functionality should come second after flexibility.

In theory you could split it into two tools: an object editor Forge and a terrain editor Something Else.

I went over it in a post before, which has been archived at halogaf.com

http://halogaf.com/2012/11/30/tldr-fyrewulffs-forge-fantasy/

wwm0nkey

Far cry had the map editor because that was the tool they use to make the levels in Campaign. Would be cool to see Halo do that as well. We could make firefight and co-op levels too.

In off topic news I got that thrust idea to work in the game I'm trying to do :D

Terrain editing would allow you to create BTB maps with really good performance, allow you to have better orientation (you could make mountains in the background on one side, for example), and in general allows you to have more variety in map creation.

Far Cry's editor was more advanced that Halo's, but I feel the time has come to strap the map makers with better tools, 'party forge' functionality should come second after flexibility.

In theory you could split it into two tools: an object editor Forge and a terrain editor Something Else.

PC editor or innovative features from Project Spark please. Sell it as a season pass or $20 title and give it resources to support and grow. I reckon it would turnover more than lagging DLC sales and improve maps/gametypes.

Kinda relevant: have any games pulled a cold open on initial bootup that doubles as a tutorial? Or even something like Spartan Ops / Infinity in Halo 4's opening cutscene, but with gameplay?

If not, just as long as you could migrate save data without worrying about a Halo 4 data loss-style "have to cold open every launch," would you guys mind something like that?

EDIT: The terrain editor could be called Prometheus, as a way to symbolize the fact that 343's giving the reins of map creation to us.

Omni

I wonder how classic Halo 2 stacks up against Halo 2 Vista on highest settings.

I was running the latter on my laptop with additional forced AA at 60fps, IIRC. And the result was a very clean image. So it can't be that demanding, right? Would be a bit disappointing if everything is at low settings for whatever reason like CEA

FyreWulff

Kinda relevant: have any games pulled a cold open on initial bootup thay doubles as a tutorial? Or even something like Spartan Ops / Infinity in Halo 4's opening cutscene, but with gameplay?

If not, just as long as you could migrate save data without worrying about a Halo 4 data loss-style "have to cold open every launch," would you guys mind something like that?

It's hard to do these because first party won't let you do them and the ESRB pushed for requiring title screens as well

Oh they can do it. There is no doubt in my mind. They have the resources and I doubt the One would have problems with it. I just don't think they would. At least not on the scale Far Cry did.

For one I don't know if MS would want to essentially give players unlimited access to new maps for free. I'm not saying they're evil or something, just that it might take away from their DLC model (which I hate and wish would work like Halo 2 did). Not that it has to. I could see them doing micropayments for new forge pieces and junk that isn't part of the base release set. That would be lame though.

The other reason is accessibility and precision like Fuchsdh said.

Halo is very dependent on movement and using the maps (though that applies to any game to some degree). I'm not super familiar with Far Cry multiplayer but from what I've seen before, it looks to play differently so there's that. If they manage to make it have precise editing tools then I can see it working but it would probably be a lot of work (that would totally pay off). Without that though the terrain editing would probably be viable for party game types and that kind of thing but not competitively. Not that I would mind, since the other tools would still be there and could be used on other maps.

I'm no cartographer though so what I'm saying could be totally wrong.

This is a bullshit reason. MP maps should be free after a certain period, just like Halo 2. Why they changed this is beyond me (well... money, yes). They should go back to that model for the sake of the matchmaking, even if it's a slow cost percentage dropoff like 6 months - 1 year after each DLC release to eventually free and required, whatever. Hell, the "last" DLC release becoming free on the day of the "new" DLC release could even spur excitement, etc, I dunno.

Second, the idea that players are able to create better content than the actual developers is the whole reason why Forge was created in the first place and why it has evolved to where it is today in my opinion. Just look at how Valve approaches user content.

Now, Forge is nowhere near on the level of being able to create maps that are competitive with professional DLC - you have skyboxes, terrain, object geometries, sounds, textures, etc, etc, that can't be replicated in Forge, and probably won't ever be (though time-of-day, atmospheric, and weather effects would be amazing). BUT if it ever were the case that it did get that good, Microsoft/343i could even do contests or competitions to "sell" the REALLY good, cream-of-the-crop ones as "semi-official" DLC with profit sharing to the creators (nothing more than like $1-2 per "pack", mind you). This would greatly incentivise the creation of fantastic, professional content, in my opinion. The idea that it would cut into sales is dumb, and even if pans true, still doesn't excuse the idea that they could ALSO be making SOME money off stuff they don't even have to make, stuff that the community already has proven that they enjoy.

Or, ignoring the complications of real-monies, you could have a "Forge-conomy", where players can buy/sell their creations for "credits" in a reddit-style "democratic" user-curated marketplace, with optional 343i "favourites" categories that could then be integrated into certain weekly or monthly rotating matchmaking playlists. What are the "credits" used for? I dunno... maybe cosmetic unlocks or something on waypoint, haven't thought that far ahead yet. Of course, everything would have to fall under fair-use, since it's easy to open up a map, make a slight edit, save, and upload to a fileshare, etc, unless some sort of pseudo-DRM system could be put in place for keeping track of original authors and allow them the ability to "whitelist" certain variants of their maps made by others to then be allowed to be uploaded on this Forge-marketplace. Same idea could be applied to gametype creations if a more robust Megalo-type system could be polished and opened up to the community (just look at mods like gun-game, or HaloGAF's own Gabotron ES to see what I mean).

My point is: Forge could be absolutely disruptive and a huge pillar of Halo multiplayer and community in my opinion, and it should not be relegated to some barebones "just enough to justify a bulletpoint on the back of the box" mode any longer. There's no reason for it. Halo is a sandbox, a PLATFORM more than simply a game if you will - especially since Halo 3 and Forge - and it should be treated as such going forward, in my opinion. There's a huge opportunity here with Halo compared to other FPS games, and I think it would only lead to great things in the future.

Anyway, sorry if it seems like I'm directly getting "upset" and passionate toward you, I'm not :) just at the idea of that being Microsoft's mindset (which I sadly kind of agree with you on)... lol

-Ryn

Banned

I think I remember reading that a while back.

Sounds like the best option though. Having it as 2. Separate modes would make it more approachable for new players and let experienced players have a more defined tool set. What about being able to choose the skybox? Weather effects? Does lighting include whether it can be night or day?

Another question, what is everyone's opinions on interactive maps? Personally I think they are great and add a cool element to matches. Given how important map control is in Halo then it can also be a key part of that.

Ah yes, that's the one I was referring to. Of course it is Fyre's!

I think I remember reading that a while back.

Sounds like the best option though. Having it as 2. Separate modes would make it more approachable for new players and let experienced players have a more defined tool set. What about being able to choose the skybox? Weather effects? Does lighting include whether it can be night or day?

Another question, what is everyone's opinions on interactive maps? Personally I think they are great and add a cool element to matches. Given how important map control is in Halo then it can also be a key part of that.

Love interactive maps. Besides just being cool, they open the door for larger player counts, especially if you place the control points in out-of-the-way areas on maps. You don't have to worry about teamshooting nearly as much if you strongly disincentive having whole teams grouping up in one place. Having (say) an automated artillery position to capture would be great, and put a whole new spin on things.

belushy

Banned

Since the thread has been talking about forge... any mumblings if one of the maps might be a large forge canvas?

edit:
As large as forge world or bigger?

I'd rather it not be as large as Forge world to be honest.

Since the thread has been talking about forge... any mumblings if one of the maps might be a large forge canvas?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497797

On a more serious note: I would be more surprised if there wasn't a Forge canvas. Why go through all the trouble of "fixing" Forge in Halo 3 and 4 (whatever that means), making a new/upgraded engine for 6 maps with Halo 2 Anni MP, and give it a new and improved Forge mode when it isn't even going to be utilized properly without a canvas of some kind? Then again, crazier things have happened...

Bigger. Utilize dat 8GB DDR3. Why not? Forge Halo: Fuck it, do it live.

Omni

I'm not expecting anything substantial with Forge. My bet is that they'll save it for Halo 5

Would love to see Forge World return someday however. The custom games on that place where just freaking amazing in Reach. I particularly liked the hunger games variants that used the entire map

What if all six maps are a forge canvas of their own, so there is a bunch of different forge palettes we can use. :-O

What if all six maps are set within six visually distinct segmented sections on the Halo ring, and you can Forge wherever you want on the surrounding terrain, including proper canvas areas?

Twist: Every object that makes Ascension is a Forge piece, including the asteroid field and giant "pillar" that it is made on.

Oh I wish...

If I remember correctly the last interactive map was in halo 3 right ?

Vertigo, Champions DLC, Halo 4 (kind of)

belushy

Banned
What if all six maps are set within six visually distinct segmented sections on the Halo ring, and you can Forge wherever you want on the surrounding terrain, including proper canvas areas?

Twist: Every object that makes Ascension is a Forge piece, including the asteroid field and giant "pillar" that it is made on.

Oh I wish...

Vertigo, Champions DLC, Halo 4 (kind of)

Maybe on the Xbox Two's 16gb RAM

FyreWulff

If I remember correctly the last interactive map was in halo 3 right ?

That one H4 map technically counts

Anchor 9 in Reach was originally going to have a button that opened the doors and sucked all the air out turning the entire thing into low-grav, but was cut

They also tried to get forgeable buttons in Reach but couldn't get it done in time

-Ryn

Banned
This is a bullshit reason. MP maps should be free after a certain period, just like Halo 2. Why they changed this is beyond me (well... money, yes). They should go back to that model for the sake of the matchmaking, even if it's a slow cost percentage dropoff like 6 months - 1 year after each DLC release to eventually free and required, whatever. Hell, the "last" DLC release becoming free on the day of the "new" DLC release could even spur excitement, etc, I dunno.

Second, the idea that players are able to create better content than the actual developers is the whole reason why Forge was created in the first place and why it has evolved to where it is today in my opinion. Just look at how Valve approaches user content.

Now, Forge is nowhere near on the level of being able to create maps that are competitive with professional DLC - you have skyboxes, terrain, object geometries, sounds, textures, etc, etc, that can't be replicated in Forge, and probably won't ever be (though time-of-day, atmospheric, and weather effects would be amazing). BUT if it ever were the case that it did get that good, Microsoft/343i could even do contests or competitions to "sell" the REALLY good, cream-of-the-crop ones as "semi-official" DLC with profit sharing to the creators (nothing more than like $1-2 per "pack", mind you). This would greatly incentivise the creation of fantastic, professional content, in my opinion. The idea that it would cut into sales is dumb, and even if pans true, still doesn't excuse the idea that they could ALSO be making SOME money off stuff they don't even have to make, stuff that the community already has proven that they enjoy.

Or, ignoring the complications of real-monies, you could have a "Forge-conomy", where players can buy/sell their creations for "credits" in a reddit-style "democratic" user-curated marketplace, with optional 343i "favourites" categories that could then be integrated into certain weekly or monthly rotating matchmaking playlists. What are the "credits" used for? I dunno... maybe cosmetic unlocks or something on waypoint, haven't thought that far ahead yet. Of course, everything would have to fall under fair-use, since it's easy to open up a map, make a slight edit, save, and upload to a fileshare, etc, unless some sort of pseudo-DRM system could be put in place for keeping track of original authors and allow them the ability to "whitelist" certain variants of their maps made by others to then be allowed to be uploaded on this Forge-marketplace. Same idea could be applied to gametype creations if a more robust Megalo-type system could be polished and opened up to the community (just look at mods like gun-game, or HaloGAF's own Gabotron ES to see what I mean).

My point is: Forge could be absolutely disruptive and a huge pillar of Halo multiplayer and community in my opinion, and it should not be relegated to some barebones "just enough to justify a bulletpoint on the back of the box" mode any longer. There's no reason for it. Halo is a sandbox, a PLATFORM more than simply a game if you will - especially since Halo 3 and Forge - and it should be treated as such going forward, in my opinion. There's a huge opportunity here with Halo compared to other FPS games, and I think it would only lead to great things in the future.

Anyway, sorry if it seems like I'm directly getting "upset" and passionate toward you, I'm not :) just at the idea of that being Microsoft's mindset (which I sadly kind of agree with you on)... lol
lol no worries dude.

If Halo was able to do even half the things that you proposed, that would be incredibly badass. Like you said, Halo isn't just a game anymore. It has so much to offer and yet for one reason or another, it doesn't capitalize on that. The idea of having a map competition could be the start of a whole new thing. Maybe not on the level of MLG but who knows?

I hate the way the system works. It really does take away from what Halo could be. The DLC model is awful too. I've bought every single DLC pack for Halo (minus Halo 2 since I wasn't able to play that online before the shutdown) and with the exception of Halo 3, I rarely see the maps actually available to play only a month after they are released which is absurd. I mean even Forge Island, which was FREE, barely has its multiple maps show up. That should've been a required download. Hell, this probably causes a loss in itself. A good amount of the population probably doesn't buy the DLC because what's the point in buying if you won't even play it?

Halo has Forge, Theater, a strong single player, Firefight, Spartan Ops, and a HELL of a lot of game types. I mean there is so much content it has spawned that it is almost on the level of Project Spark. Now Project Spark is designed around user creation and whatnot so yeah the comparison is a bit stretched, but they both have generated enormous amounts of content.

Halo was and is a major part of Machinima too which would be cool to be able to do in game without the need for a capture card. There's just so much there and it really can be more than just a fun game which is important yeah, but it has the potential.

Love interactive maps. Besides just being cool, they open the door for larger player counts, especially if you place the control points in out-of-the-way areas on maps. You don't have to worry about teamshooting nearly as much if you strongly disincentive having whole teams grouping up in one place. Having (say) an automated artillery position to capture would be great, and put a whole new spin on things.
I think interactive maps are especially great for objective game types. I mean Invasion would be an obvious example but just imagine the possibilities with stuff like CTF and whatnot. I just want it!!

That one H4 map technically counts

Anchor 9 in Reach was originally going to have a button that opened the doors and sucked all the air out turning the entire thing into low-grav, but was cut

They also tried to get forgeable buttons in Reach but couldn't get it done in time
That sounds awesome D:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497797

On a more serious note: I would be more surprised if there wasn't a Forge canvas. Why go through all the trouble of "fixing" Forge in Halo 3 and 4 (whatever that means), making a new/upgraded engine for 6 maps with Halo 2 Anni MP, and give it a new and improved Forge mode when it isn't even going to be utilized properly without a canvas of some kind? Then again, crazier things have happened...

Bigger. Utilize dat 8GB DDR3. Why not? Forge Halo: Fuck it, do it live.
Invasion 2.0 please, PLEASE!

belushy

Banned
I just don't want forge to have problems again like what happened with Reach with forge world. Maybe a map as big as the Blood Gulch area to the big island.

Wouldn't have to worry about a forge world if we did get terrain editing tho

Ghazi

Who's Ghandi?

Portrait_Gandhi.jpg

Old Team Carbon member, trash talked a lot. Recent, somewhat popular commentator for Halo 4, even though it was dying.

Takashi

Been out of the loop a couple weeks, anything new on HMCC? Skimmed the op and didn't see any new info so figured I'd ask

-Ryn

Banned
Been out of the loop a couple weeks, anything new on HMCC? Skimmed the op and didn't see any new info so figured I'd ask
Nothing too new.

Apparently there will be 2 anniversary maps revealed tomorrow as well as an hour long panel by 343 from 12-1pm CST.

I think there was also something about the Rank in MCC being unified.

belushy

Banned

Mix said he was told while he was being shown H2A that there will be a unified ranking system. We all assumed it, but cool to get confirmation.

Top Bottom