• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Rev3rb

Skybox on Ascension looks sensational. Liking the added cover on plasma pistol walkway. Gungoose is hilarious... I take it a passenger is required to fire?

New vehicles added to H2A... Hopefully a Hornet or Chopper.

The questions asked NEVER fail to astound in their brainlessness. "So, 343 and MS have repeatedly denied the existence of a Halo 2 anniversary for the past couple of years despite relentless cajoling, prodding and haranguing on forums and twitter. They finally confirmed it five months before its release..... I know. I'll ask if they're releasing a Halo 3 anniversary three years from now. I wanna know what the answer to that will be!

Terrible waste of Q&A, as is routine.

Yeah, I was cringing at almost every question that was asked... Too bad Mix didn't get to ask his questions.

Mix

We have a super awesome interview linded up for the podcast tomorrow afternoon, what questions would you guys like answered coming off the heels of the panel?

Nirvana

Skybox on Ascension looks sensational. Liking the added cover on plasma pistol walkway. Gungoose is hilarious... I take it a passenger is required to fire?

New vehicles added to H2A... Hopefully a Hornet or Chopper.

The questions asked NEVER fail to astound in their brainlessness. "So, 343 and MS have repeatedly denied the existence of a Halo 2 anniversary for the past couple of years despite relentless cajoling, prodding and haranguing on forums and twitter. They finally confirmed it five months before its release..... I know. I'll ask if they're releasing a Halo 3 anniversary three years from now. I wanna know what the answer to that will be!

Terrible waste of Q&A, as is routine.

I was laughing so hard at the questions, and the ones in the chat.

"Can I customize Cortana?" hahaha I was actually crying. Who came up with that gem?

We have a super awesome interview linded up for the podcast tomorrow afternoon, what questions would you guys like answered off the heels of the panel?

Can we get better sound on Ryan?

But seriously - Since we have dedis now, will there be a custom games finder?

It has to be asked.

Rev3rb

We have a super awesome interview linded up for the podcast tomorrow afternoon, what questions would you guys like answered off the heels of the panel?

Good questions asked a few pages back by some peeps:

Will there be a custom games browser of some sort?
Will there be future DLC maps for H2A?

Edit: I know we probably won't get any new info about it if asked, but what the hell...

Will the ranking system be split between games or unified... if unified, how the fuck is it going to work?

Sordid

We have a super awesome interview linded up for the podcast tomorrow afternoon, what questions would you guys like answered coming off the heels of the panel?

Could you ask what versions of Halo 4 slayer will be included in the cross game Team Slayer playlist? I'm hoping to avoid infinity :)

Excuse me for being upset that 343 ruined a perfectly simple process of remaking 6 hand selected maps that seriously only needed to be "HD-d" to be good.

343 took it upon themselves to add these horrible changes when they were unneeded.

Ugh, back to Halo 3 I go. That'll at least be fun until 343 "Modernizes" it in 2017 and ruins the last good memory I have with Halo.

I don't even understand arguments like this. You have exactly what you fucking want - the original Halo 2 Multiplayer ported to the Xbox One. Just play that version instead.

People in this thread will cling onto ANYTHING they can complain about.

"I can't believe 343 is giving us options. Such a terrible developer."

Sordid

Similar sentiments were expressed by many before Halo 4 released :)

A good option would be to let people play on these updated maps without the 'modern' gameplay as well as letting people play the new stuff.

I don't even understand arguments like this. You have exactly what you fucking want - the original Halo 2 Multiplayer ported to the Xbox One. Just play that version instead.

People in this thread will cling onto ANYTHING they can complain about.

that strawman can be thrown right back though. if you dont like Classic halo Play Halo 4.

but as it stands "modern" halo is the only thing getting any real love from 343. 343 are only the directors on the MCC. there are like 6 other companies actually making the games.

and halo 5 will have more of the same 343 "improvements".

daedalius

Similar sentiments were expressed by many before Halo 4 released :)

A good option would be to let people play on these updated maps without the 'modern' gameplay as well as letting people play the new stuff.

I'm sure those new assets don't exist in the original halo 2 engine.

Personally, I was looking forward to checking out the Anniversary maps as a different way to play some updated OG stuff. I've never really liked Ascension itself, so I don't really have that big of a qualm with it changing. But some of the other remade maps are my favs, so it's a different story. "If you wanna H2 classic, go do that" - well obviously that's likely going to be the case, but that doesn't mean people can't express disappointment in the Anniversary maps if they were looking forward to them *SPECIFICALLY FOR NOSTALGIA REASONS TO BEGIN WITH*.

Maybe it's just me, but I was under the impression that H5 was the "new" game.

For me, the nostalgia is contained within all the classic games, so that box is completely checked. We can gawk at the updated aesthetics in custom games regardless.

Playing Ascension or playing Ascension but with pretty graphics I'm not going to be looking at since people are trying to kill me just doesn't seem like a very meaningful choice to me. It doesn't make sense to me to go to all the trouble to remake maps with ultra-fancy graphics to have identical or even near-identical gameplay to a map we're already getting anyway.

I feel it's the perfect time to introduce a handful of new gameplay aspects to spice things up until we get the H5 beta and then the full game in a year.

Omni

Doubt that they'd answer. But visual improvements to Halo 3 specifically. Is the dual buffer HDR lighting still there? (I have no idea if that's what it's called). Are they adding an AA solution to the game?

Question 1:
In Halo 2 Anni, on Ascension, or other maps, are the new differences/areas Forgeable back to their more original forms, similar to how it worked in Halo CEA's Reach maps? (back base tunnels on Beaver Creek, new base tunnels on Hang Em High Noon, etc) ie: "Classic" version and "New" version specifically for the 6 remakes - NOT referring to the classic Halo 2 mp and its original versions of the maps.

Specific examples:
-New version of Ascension has new skybridge "arches" that are thicker, and a new small area leading from the middle of the bridge to under Needler spawn "bottom-mid" with a giant pillar to jump up, under it where we see the overshield pickup. Can these "arches" be deleted/replaced with thin ones, and the platform be deleted or blocked off to make it play more in line with the original? (it kind of looks like it in the video, but hard to say)

-Map interactivity elements. Are they forgeable? Can we delete or disable the buttons?

-Somewhat new jump up to low tower snipe, can that large "jump up piece" be deleted? (again, kind of looks like it)

Question 2:
Is the Halo 4-style Overshield pickup final? Does it require pressing a button to pickup? Or is it more like the Halo CE/2/3 style? (preferably it would be like Halo 3's, slightly smaller, with physics like in CE
maybe 2?
)

Question 3:
In the case of Halo 4, how are loadouts being handled? Obviously when in a playlist like snipers, swat, or whatever it will be locked down, but are loadouts even part of the MCC? SR ranks were required to unlock all the customization options, cosmetic or otherwise. Do those fall under the "everything unlocked from the start" mantra talked about at E3? Likewise for Halo 3's cosmetic unlocks like Recon, Mk V, ODST, etc.

Question 4:
I noticed Reach-style location "callouts" above the motion sensor. Are these toggle-able? If the motion sense is off, do they still appear? Not that big of a deal either way, though, just curious.

edit:
Question 5:
In Halo 2 Anni CTF, is flag juggling/dropping in? Or is it Halo 4-style forced "commitment"?

Mix

Mine and zoojoo's theory on maps:
Ascension (confirmed)
Coagulation (confirmed)
Lockout
Midship
Zanzibar
Ivory Tower
Question 1:
In Halo 2 Anni, on Ascension, or other maps, are the new differences/areas Forgeable back to their more original forms, similar to how it worked in Halo CEA's Reach maps? (back base tunnels on Beaver Creek, new base tunnels on Hang Em High Noon, etc) ie: "Classic" version and "New" version specifically for the 6 remakes - NOT referring to the classic Halo 2 mp and its original versions of the maps.

Specific examples:
-New version of Ascension has new skybridge "arches" that are thicker, and a new small area leading from the middle of the bridge to under Needler spawn "bottom-mid" with a giant pillar to jump up, under it where we see the overshield pickup. Can these "arches" be deleted/replaced with thin ones, and the platform be deleted or blocked off to make it play more in line with the original? (it kind of looks like it in the video, but hard to say)

-Map interactivity elements. Are they forgeable? Can we delete or disable the buttons?

-Somewhat new jump up to low tower snipe, can that large "jump up piece" be deleted? (again, kind of looks like it)

Question 2:
Is the Halo 4-style Overshield pickup final? Does it require pressing a button to pickup? Or is it more like the Halo CE/2/3 style? (preferably it would be like Halo 3's, slightly smaller, with physics like in CE
maybe 2?
)

Question 3:
In the case of Halo 4, how are loadouts being handled? Obviously when in a playlist like snipers, swat, or whatever it will be locked down, but are loadouts even part of the MCC? SR ranks were required to unlock all the customization options, cosmetic or otherwise. Do those fall under the "everything unlocked from the start" mantra talked about at E3? Likewise for Halo 3's cosmetic unlocks like Recon, Mk V, ODST, etc.

Question 4:
I noticed Reach-style location "callouts" above the motion sensor. Are these toggle-able? If the motion sense is off, do they still appear? Not that big of a deal either way, though, just curious.
Great questions man, will definitely ask these

DeadNames

Banned
I'm guessing terminal and burial grounds.

Also I don't get the salt at H2A MP. It still has classic halo MP (and no AAs/sprint god bless) but with a few added features. Its what Halo 4 should have been IMO.

Sordid

I'm sure those new assets don't exist in the original halo 2 engine.

Well, yeah. I'm guessing* it wouldn't be too hard to disable the on map bubble shield, remove the Gungoose from maps and remove speed boost/AR etc for a playlist. They mentioned how they spent a long time getting the movement just like Halo 2 so without the modern stuff it probably plays very similarly to Halo 2.

*I might be wrong right enough!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
See what Havok says other than strafe and a passenger they're the same role in the sandbox.

The Gungoose is still very much best used for quick travel and transport. You've very exposed and vulnerable in one so it's nowhere near as effective at taking down infantry like the Ghost or Warthog. The main difference now is that when you respawn at base you don't frown at the fact that your teammates already took the bigger vehicles haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsmA2m5x_fs Gameplay section from Ascension

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つGAMEPLAY OR RIOT ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I consider H2A multi bonus content and so can't really get too disappointed by anything contained within. One thing it definitely contributes negatively towards though, is the already bloated MM options. There's going to be:

Cross game playlists
Playlists for CE
Playlists for H2
Playlists for H2A
Playlists for H3
Playlists for H4

How many for each individual game/configuration? The playlist conundrum is the number onepuzzle standing in the way of the MCC becoming the best game of all time.

Really hoping for radar-less playlists in the originals. Just copy paste the MLG settings from H2 and H3. Surely, this will be lobbied for with the amount of Pro's they have working there? I don't think it'll happen though, at least not until some months post release.

Panel nerd disquiet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWFyY2BCxW0

Nebula

The Gungoose is still very much best used for quick travel and transport. You've very exposed and vulnerable in one so it's nowhere near as effective at taking down infantry like the Ghost or Warthog. The main difference now is that when you respawn at base you don't frown at the fact that your teammates already took the bigger vehicles haha.

:|

Question 1. Was Halo 2 Multiplayer Anniversary built with DLC in mind, could we in theory get a Halo 3 map pack for it containing Guardian, High Ground, Snowbound and Standoff

Question 2. Is the Halo 2 Multiplayer Anniversary weapon sandbox limited to just Halo 2 weapons + Silenced SMG and AR or could we forge place weapons from other titles like the Grenade Launcher or Railgun

Question 3. Does Halo 2 Multiplayer Anniversary have a Forge Canvas map?

Question 4. What level of customization do we have for Spartans and Elites in Halo 2 Anniversary.

Question 5. Silenced SMG. Halo 2 vista or ODST variant?

Question 6. How does the Halo 2 MP:A Rocket Launcher behave in regards to vehicles?

FyreWulff

Weapons that didn't exist on maps before in the original engine due to RAM limitations: now restored in the ORIGINAL engine versions of the game?

Mistel

Banned
Have they done any other changes to the dual wield weapons like upping needler damage?
Ruining my Mongoose. Wtf. It's like they want me to cry.
Introducing the all new gun goose powered by Nebula's tears...

FyreWulff

Like Carbines on Zanzibar? (I think this was one)

Yeah, Carbines on Zanzibar, the Plasma Rifle is missing from some maps (can't spawn on Heretic with PR for this reason), the Mauler is missing from some maps, the Spiker is missing from some maps

edit: were Carbines missing on Vahalla too? I can't remember.

Either way, it was hilarious because Halo 3 MM brought back Covy Slayer from Halo 2.. but you had to spawn with BRs and SMG. The "covy" aspect was just the vehicles. lol

Question 2.[/B] Is the Halo 2 Multiplayer Anniversary weapon sandbox limited to just Halo 2 weapons + Silenced SMG and AR or could we forge place weapons from other titles like the Grenade Launcher or Railgun

Grenade Launcher inclusion would be amazing.

so noone else is really happy about button mapping? like im fine with recon but if I can make slight changes that would be amazing.

Is button mapping in? I thought they were pre-determined.

#GrenadeLauncherInH2A

We can change history, HaloGAF.

Yeah, I'm in. I miss the shit out of that thing. One of the few weapon additions that adds something to the sandbox. Sticky det? Poor mans propipe.

--

XGPD88w.png

Vehicles on motion sensor, and callouts above it.

Akai__

I just rewatched everything I've missed. I'm pretty neutral, after today.

Questions were by far the best thing about the panel. Frankie would probably be proud.
/s

Omni

Apparently there's lots of tearing in the multiplayer footage, eh?

I hope they hammer it out by release. I'd even take 720p over screen tearing. It absolutely ruins games for me

I hope they hammer it out by release. I'd even take 720p over screen tearing. It absolutely ruins games for me

a comment I made in the other thread

Concerning tearing: Likely a product of the stream or recording, but if not, don't judge until final release, polish happens last people - the game is months away. It's just crazy talk even mentioning it at all, take a chill pill and think about something else.

Edit:

The Youtube videos are screen recordings of a twitch stream of a game that isn't near final and the HDMI is probably going through a series of physical links at RTX for switching purposes. It is not even close to a direct feed, there's probably something like 4 or 5 passthroughs going on overall.

Akai__

I think the tearing comes from the bad monitors they have used. Probably some, that have a screwed up refresh rate.

Remember Frankie always saying, that whenever he plays a demo on those stages, that they have lots of input-lag etc.

But in case it's the game... Pretty sure, they are still in full development mode.

Have 343 ever acknowledged that CEA's upgraded visuals mode had noticeable input lag which (obviously) negatively impacted on gameplay?

Will H2A campaign have zero input lag? If so, have they fixed it for the CEA port too?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Have 343 ever acknowledged that CEA's upgraded visuals mode had noticeable input lag which (obviously) negatively impacted on gameplay?
My friends always thought I was crazy when I complained about that. It wasn't even noticeable to them. It wasn't terrible, but it definitely bothered me. (Plus I preferred the classic visuals anyways.)

would be interesting if 343i can do that
They're adding in other weapons (AR and Silenced SMG), so I don't see why not! It'd be a cool little bonus.

My friends always thought I was crazy when I complained about that. It wasn't even noticeable to them. It wasn't terrible, but it definitely bothered me. (Plus I preferred the classic visuals anyways.)

It's subtle but enough to turn me away from the new graphics, which defeats the point of the remake, so it's a major issue in my view.

Top Bottom