• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Frankie confirmed them on GAF I think.

I guess we will get another bigger one for the Gungeese and maybe a smaller one, I would hope Midship but who knows ..

Midship is re-created in Halo 3 and while the gameplay isn't exactly the same, it won't be the same here either so that's kind of a waste. Though It'll probably be there. I'd like to see Sanctuary and Containment as the final two.

Don't really care about the H2A changes because it's inherently limited by only being six maps. How can that compete against the full games with 20+ maps? It can't, making H2A MP no more than a side dish in this package.

Exactly. That's why I'm not too salty over the H2A changes, despite my concerns. It does make me worry about their design philosophies going into Halo 5, though... But it's way too early to start making assumptions there.
Yeah could be, but my expectations are at zero for that game anyways. If it turns out alright then great, I'll play it. Otherwise, other haloz will be alive now.

belushy

Banned
I don't get why people are salty over H2A features. If you want to play classic Halo 2, go fucking do that.

I'm looking forward to trying something new but familiar in addition to all the inevitable nostalgia splooging.

Pretty much.

I'm interested in what the interactive feature will be for Coag.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What do you all think of the potential PvP playlists they previewed? (Alliteration Points +10)

IHaveIce

Banned
So my impressions from the panel:

The colletion in itself still seems amazing, with the playlists, campaigns, control schemes and stuff.
Hearing the part about new Easter eggs and skulls made me also really happy.

All have to keep in mind the original MPs are still aviable for everyone in 60fps ;)

So to our new MP game: H2A.

I wished they didn't waste so much time on presenting Ascension, they could at least teased Coagulation with spawning on it and just showing us the skybox.

I also am not happy that Coagulation is gonna remade.

SO the changes:
ARs in Halo 2 Anniversary, well I don't see the point why they would be there?
Silenced SMGs same thing, just stuffing up the sandbox
Speed Boost, I don't think Speed boost is bad. So I welcome it.
Gungoose? I think it is an interesting idea, will probably be fun.
Upped the Magnum damage? hmmmm interesting.
No Button combos? Was expectable.
Shield thingy on Ascension? Have to play it to say how I like it, will probably be OP in Oddball or other Objective gametypes.

BUT!
We have still no sprint and no Armor Abilities, thank god for that. If those things aren't in, I'm still super confident in the game

daedalius

Well, the new Coag isn't necessarily THE forge palette, but they said that all the new maps are forge-able, so perhaps it will become the forge palette for most maps anyway given the amount of space you have.

Something like the 3 flat pillars you got in H4 would be a nice add-in though.

belushy

Banned
I wished they didn't waste so much time on presenting Ascension, they could at least teased Coagulation with spawning on it and just showing us the skybox.

If they spawned in on Coag, we would have seen the forge pieces used to make the bases.

TheXbox

Zero interest in the H2A multiplayer. Doesn't bother me one bit, though. The only thing that worries me is the playlist situation. One hopper for each game isn't enough, and frankly I don't see many people enjoying the process of switching from game to game at the whim of democracy.

Ideally, they would give each game its own set of playlists along with a separate selection dedicated to all the games. Something like:

All Games
Halo: CE
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo 4

And under each category the usual suspects; Slayer, FFA, Objective, SWAT, BTB, Snipers, etc. Sparse population may be the issue 343 is worried about, but we need more options than just "Halo x Team" if we want our fix in a certain game.

Rev3rb

The colletion in itself still seems amazing, with the playlists, campaigns, control schemes and stuff.

All have to keep in mind the original MPs are still aviable for everyone in 60fps ;)

SO the changes:
Shield thingy on Ascension? Have to play it to say how I like it, will probably be OP in Oddball or other Objective gametypes.

BUT!
We have still no sprint and no Armor Abilities, thank god for that. If those things aren't in, I'm still super confident in the game

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
As long as sprint/armor abilities are absent, I'll give it a go and see how it plays.

No big deal if it's no good, since we'll always have the original MP to fallback on.

Can we have a breakdown of the changes seen on Ascension by a good halo 2 player, and explanations for why they are bad?

edit: thanks IHaveIce

I don't get why people are salty over H2A features. If you want to play classic Halo 2, go fucking do that.

I'm looking forward to trying something new but familiar in addition to all the inevitable nostalgia splooging.

Because reasons.

Personally, I was looking forward to checking out the Anniversary maps as a different way to play some updated OG stuff. I've never really liked Ascension itself, so I don't really have that big of a qualm with it changing. But some of the other remade maps are my favs, so it's a different story. "If you wanna H2 classic, go do that" - well obviously that's likely going to be the case, but that doesn't mean people can't express disappointment in the Anniversary maps if they were looking forward to them *SPECIFICALLY FOR NOSTALGIA REASONS TO BEGIN WITH*.

Maybe it's just me, but I was under the impression that H5 was the "new" game.

Just remember to always party up with HaloGAFers so you can vote for Classic Halo 2 options every time when NuCoagulation 4v4 SMG starts shows up

where were u when halo died

Probably At Moa burger

oxboxproto.png

Dang, Xbox 1's graphics took a hit.

FyreWulff

Assault Rifles were shown as a selectable weapon in one of the old Halo 2 betas, although we don't know if they were ever actually implemented. Technically a restored cut feature if they were.

Mongoose/Gungoose were announced cut vehicles way back at the game's release

Silenced SMG is a weapon that was cut from Halo 2, is in Halo 2 PC, and was shown being used in Bungie prototypes like this:

oxboxproto.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How is the Halo 2 PC Silenced SMG different than the normal SMG? Is it just like the ODST SMG?

Pfhunkie

Assault Rifles were shown as a selectable weapon in one of the old Halo 2 betas, although we don't know if they were ever actually implemented. Technically a restored cut feature if they were.

Mongoose/Gungoose were announced cut vehicles way back at the game's release

Silenced SMG is a weapon that was cut from Halo 2, is in Halo 2 PC, and was shown being used in Bungie prototypes like this:

oxboxproto.png
Dat grenade count

As for silenced SMGs, I've never been a fan of silenced weapons in general in the Halo franchise. It really fit in with ODST but that's just about it for me.

Zero interest in the H2A multiplayer. Doesn't bother me one bit, though. The only thing that worries me is the playlist situation. One hopper for each game isn't enough, and frankly I don't see many people enjoying the process of switching from game to game at the whim of democracy.

Ideally, they would give each game its own set of playlists along with a separate selection dedicated to all the games. Something like:

All Games
Halo: CE
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo 4

And under each category the usual suspects; Slayer, FFA, Objective, SWAT, BTB, Snipers, etc. Sparse population may be the issue 343 is worried about, but we need more options than just "Halo x Team" if we want our fix in a certain game.

concerned about this as well. for each separate game they should have at least 2 playlists: team slayer and btb

Blueblur1

SO the changes:

BUT!

I more or less feel the same way.

Havok

Pretty glad that original Halo 2 is in the package, because H2A seems kind of uninteresting to me after seeing some of the additions. Not necessarily because they seem like overly offensive additions, I just don't see why they exist for the most part. Like, the Gungoose? The Mongoose didn't have guns for a reason....the Ghost already exists. How is this differentiated from that besides having a passenger and not being able to strafe? It's like you've made a Ghost/Warthog bastard that ignores what the Mongoose was intended to be. Even if this is what was originally going to be in the game (I honestly don't know), that got cut and changed for a reason.

Also legitimately entertaining to see the return of "well just wait until you've played it!" as though we've time traveled two years into the past, or as though human beings are totally incapable of critical thinking and rational inference.

What do you all think of the potential PvP playlists they previewed? (Alliteration Points +10)
Haven't watched the panel, but Wario posted a screenshot of the playlist page. Seems like a one-size-fits-all solution, which I think is wildly inappropriate given the drastically different strengths each game had. Lumping Slayer and Objective in together is a really fast way to make me either disinterested or actively annoyed - it's really obvious how those voting lobbies are going to go.

No way they're final, though, considering they don't have anything for higher player counts on the list.
Why not have the Gungoose? The Mongoose is essentially pointless except in objective modes.
Weird, it's almost as though being an unarmed transport was its intended function because that role+guns already existed. Truly a mystery for the ages, you're right.

jem0208

Pretty glad that original Halo 2 is in the package, because H2A seems really uninteresting to me after seeing some of the additions. Not necessarily because they seem like overly offensive additions, I just don't see why they exist for the most part. Like, the Gungoose? The Mongoose didn't have guns for a reason....the Ghost already exists. How is this differentiated from that besides having a passenger and not being able to strafe? It's like you've made a Ghost/Warthog bastard that ignores what the Mongoose was intended to be. Even if this is what was originally going to be in the game (I honestly don't know), that got cut and changed for a reason.

Haven't watched the panel, but Wario posted a screenshot of the playlist page. Seems like a one-size-fits-all solution, which I think is wildly inappropriate given the drastically different strengths each game had. Lumping Slayer and Objective in together is a really fast way to make me either disinterested or actively annoyed - it's really obvious how those voting lobbies are going to go.

No way they're final, though, considering they don't have anything for higher player counts on the list.

Why not have the Gungoose? The Mongoose is essentially pointless except in objective modes.

Sordid

I was excited for the mixed team slayer playlist but was surprised to see so many Halo 4 maps there. If it's infinity slayer and not legendary I'll be quitting a lot of games :/

I5CharactersMax

Neo Member
They can make all the changes to H2A that they want, as long as they leave the original H2 and HCE multiplayer alone. H4,H2A its all the same noise.

Agreed. No Coag footage is suspicious. Could be too early, could be something about the map they don't want to reveal just yet?
Forge World

If they had to pick a classic big map, they should have picked Containment (assuming it's not in). But I understand why they did it - it's THE most iconic halo map overall in the mainstream in my opinion. Hasn't had a proper remake really. Valhalla and Forge World "coag" don't count.

SO the changes:

Ignoring the obvious with BR starts, AR starts are better than SMG starts (and MORE gun options isn't bad, imo, especially considering forge is in for custom/"classic"/"fixed" variants) Will have to wait and see what the AR is like > Halo CE, 3, or 4 style? Hopefully CE, that's the only good one. Silenced SMG, meh. Fanservice.

I want to see how much they upped it. I dislike Halo 2's magnum only slightly less than 3's, they were both shit, imo, so we will see.

Didn't even think/hear of this. Makes sense, but I'm sad about it, missed opportunity to polish them up.

Reminds me of Snowbound and Epitaph > maps so poor they needed to re-release shield door-less versions of them. Not being permanent and having 3 buttons is interesting, but the problem is the thunderdome being made even more of a thunderdome.

BUT!

No AAs is a godsend. Glad they made that decision. Same with Sprint.

Responses in bold. All in all, I think it looks fine. "director's cut"?.... not really, aside from remade cut content I guess.

Just about, also can be dw'd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93mkuqxPydM#t=105

Best video i've found yet (would record it myself, but the laptop i'm currently stuck can't record and play halo 2 at the same time)

Mentioned it in my H2 features request thing, guess I have to go update that now

Hmm did not know about this at all. Barely played Halo 2 vista mp... Sweet!

--

Edit: couple kinda shitty gifs from other thread:
iXS9JXy1nqh7O.gif

ayqnni.gif

senador

Banned
H2A MP seems pretty meh to me. I'll just ignore it. I do worry about the time being spent on it and adding yet another version to the already extremely bloated versions of Halo that will be available. Which I guess is my concern overall. The playlists will make or break the collection. I'm still excited but somewhat worried about that aspect. Seems pretty messy and iffy right now.

Nirvana

Excuse me for being upset that 343 ruined a perfectly simple process of remaking 6 hand selected maps that seriously only needed to be "HD-d" to be good.

343 took it upon themselves to add these horrible changes when they were unneeded.

Ugh, back to Halo 3 I go. That'll at least be fun until 343 "Modernizes" it in 2017 and ruins the last good memory I have with Halo.

You realise you can still play Halo 2 original multiplayer in 1080p right?

Skybox on Ascension looks sensational. Liking the added cover on plasma pistol walkway. Gungoose is hilarious... I take it a passenger is required to fire?

New vehicles added to H2A... Hopefully a Hornet or Chopper.

The questions asked NEVER fail to astound in their brainlessness. "So, 343 and MS have repeatedly denied the existence of a Halo 2 anniversary for the past couple of years despite relentless cajoling, prodding and haranguing on forums and twitter. They finally confirmed it five months before its release..... I know. I'll ask if they're releasing a Halo 3 anniversary three years from now. I wanna know what the answer to that will be!

Terrible waste of Q&A, as is routine.

Top Bottom