• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Can't believe people are flipping out over the Gungoose without knowing shit about the details like ROF, spread, aim assist, etc.

Guess Halo will be alright this year if that's the worst people are complaining about. Still excited to use the CE Plasma Rifle online with all that glorious stun.

Can't believe people are flipping out over the Gungoose without knowing shit about the details like ROF, spread, aim assist, etc.

Guess Halo will be alright this year if that's the worst people are complaining about. Still excited to use the CE Plasma Rifle online with all that glorious stun.

That's what I'm saying. Then again, it's the internet. Only the most polarizing opinions get looked at.

Blueblur1

Please tell me vehicle health is tied to the driver again Tashi.

I want that back in Halo 5 for sure. It makes vehicles more viable than they are in Reach or Halo 4. I hate climbing in what looks like a slightly damaged Ghost to have it blow up after some shots from 1 or 2 opponents.

That's what I'm saying. Then again, it's the internet. Only the most polarizing opinions get looked at.

I'm with you, dude. The negativity in this thread still amazes me some times even though I've been here for over two years. We get a "director's cut" of a game we all loved on top of the untouched original, but people still complain.

Here's an example of what I was talking about with shadows hiding weapons:
Cmyf9QB.png

Indicators are useful for that. Also, looks like weapons cast shadows now (at least static ones), has that ever been a thing? I don't remember it being in Halo 4.

Supposedly there are 3 buttons to activate the shield dome on Ascension. I've only been able to scout 2.

Skybridge:

And snipe 2:

I guess the 3rd one is somewhere around the low tower area, because the other two are almost right next to each other at high tower, but I couldn't find it in the video.

I also noticed that the spinning thinger over top mid slows down and changes direction now, too.

Madness

I'm with you, dude. The negativity in this thread still amazes me some times even though I've been here for over two years. We get a "director's cut" of a game we all loved on top of the untouched original, but people still complain.

This argument is really getting tired. Just because they're giving us Halo 2 untouched means what? That we can't complain about other changes? We don't even know how we can play the untouched original.

Just because they gave us the originals, doesn't mean we can't comment on changes to future games. Nor do we have to "play" before judging.

Edit: Mix, can you find out why Halo 2 Anniversary still has that white text or Halo 4 medals on screen? And whether it was just placeholder or if there is time to change/remove that.

This argument is really getting tired. Just because they're giving us Halo 2 untouched means what? That we can't complain about other changes? We don't even know how we can play the untouched original.

Just because they gave us the originals, doesn't mean we can't comment on changes to future games. Nor do we have to "play" before judging.

Edit: Mix, can you find out why Halo 2 Anniversary still has that white text or Halo 4 medals on screen? And whether it was just placeholder or if there is time to change/remove that.

Some criticism and input is fine. But what's ridiculous is people who are just blatantly pissed and bitchy. I won't name names, but there are people in this thread who are being so overly dramatic about it. Like these changes in a video game are ruining their lives completely.

Ghazi

Some criticism and input is fine. But what's ridiculous is people who are just blatantly pissed and bitchy. I won't name names, but there are people in this thread who are being so overly dramatic about it. Like these changes in a video game are ruining their lives completely.
Preach.

Akai__

Please stop with this bullshit...

daedalius

I do my best to ignore it, but... thisisneogaf.gif

HaloGAF is drama :)

Well, you can play the untouched in the dedicated playlist where each game has their own lobby, for starters. I thought that was clear but you seem to be proving otherwise.

Feedback on one map (so far) that we've had a non combat walkthrough and 30 seconds of gameplay at E3. And feedback on a vehicle that not only just got announced but that we've only seen CONCEPT ART for.

No, you don't need to actually play something to pass judgment. I'll just find your judgment to be idiotic and not worth taking sole consideration of. Play it, THEN decide if it's a waste of time. That's what we call an informed opinion.

Are we in gaming side?

Madness

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I just thought you meant we couldn't complain about possible changes and how they affect the game play. In the end, you're right, we do have the original multi-player with the full maps and suite. I actually still play Halo 4 and so I'm excited to play Halo 2 Anniversary as well. I just wanted to highlight things that might be a problem.

No, you don't need to actually play something to pass judgment. I'll just find your judgment to be idiotic and not worth taking sole consideration of. Play it, THEN decide if it's a waste of time. That's what we call an informed opinion.

You're right. I mean I need to have played Reach and used Armor Lock before judging whether it'll be a bad addition to the game right? Same goes for personal ordnance, global ordnance, loadouts, even perks. The point of highlighting this stuff before release is a possible change. Otherwise, the game launches and you're screwed because things like flinch and the stability perk cannot be removed etc.

-Ryn

Banned
I want that back in Halo 5 for sure. It makes vehicles more viable than they are in Reach or Halo 4. I hate climbing in what looks like a slightly damaged Ghost to have it blow up after some shots from 1 or 2 opponents.
Wait... what?

The only time that will happen (if the system is working right) is if the vehicle is literally on fire. That's not exactly a "little damaged". I think vehicles need a health boost and health bar like Halo CE had (never understood why they got rid of it) so you can determine how screwed you are but the Halo 3 system was irritating. If I got hit on the tire then why should my shields go down. It makes you one big target.

It wasn't a terrible system but I don't see how it makes vehicles more viable than an actual health system.

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I just thought you meant we couldn't complain about possible changes and how they affect the game play. In the end, you're right, we do have the original multi-player with the full maps and suite. I actually still play Halo 4 and so I'm excited to play Halo 2 Anniversary as well. I just wanted to highlight things that might be a problem.

You're right. I mean I need to have played Reach and used Armor Lock before judging whether it'll be a bad addition to the game right? Same goes for personal ordnance, global ordnance, loadouts, even perks. The point of highlighting this stuff before release is a possible change. Otherwise, the game launches and you're screwed because things like flinch and the stability perk cannot be removed etc.

Well considering you are saying that all those elements are a terrible addition by virtue of their existence, and not that they completely changed the mechanics of Halo multiplayer, or their less than stellar execution, I'd say yes, you have no basis for judging before seeing/using them in game.

Now that Reach and 4 are out and you've played them for some length of time, you can say they were terrible additions and I can agree with you. As for complaining about the fact you can't erase their existence before the game is released, what you are basically saying is you want Halo CE/2 rereleased every couple of years, just with a new story and better graphics. That's your preference, I just don't share it.

Takashi

Wait... what?

The only time that will happen (if the system is working right) is if the vehicle is literally on fire. That's not exactly a "little damaged".

Maybe it's just that the visual indicators for vehicle health are shitty, but there's been countless times that I've gotten into vehicles in Reach that were promptly destroyed even if they looked barely damaged.

Fracas

#fuckonami

esrg9Zt.gif

Is button mapping in? I thought they were pre-determined.

Thought that it was in based on the Livestream Thread, not 100% though.

Assuming they're using the original engines for the classic versions (as we've been told), this is almost a guaranteed no. The stuff on the stream was saying stuff like "no matter what Halo I'm playing, I want the default controls" or "always make X my sensitivity". H2A it might be possible, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. My understanding is that button mapping would only be possible with a new engine because of certain dependencies since CE inherent in the engine.

Madness

Well considering you are saying that all those elements are a terrible addition by virtue of their existence, and not that they completely changed the mechanics of Halo multiplayer, or their less than stellar execution, I'd say yes, you have no basis for judging before seeing/using them in game.

Now that Reach and 4 are out and you've played them for some length of time, you can say they were terrible additions and I can agree with you. As for complaining about the fact you can't erase their existence before the game is released, what you are basically saying is you want Halo CE/2 rereleased every couple of years, just with a new story and better graphics. That's your preference, I just don't share it.

Yeah, I'd rather have a Halo CE, Halo 2 or even possibly Halo 3 out every few years, than have a Reach or Halo 4.

What are you even arguing here? That's some pretty weird thinking. Concepts and ideas should be judged before implementation. Otherwise, you're basically playing Russian roulette with the games. Because you're only calling out negative judgments. How is it any different than the guys who say it's a good addition? They haven't seen it either. I think the ability to walk through walls will be bad for Halo game play. I don't need to have an armor ability in game and see game play of it before I can make that judgement.

Madness

One day HaloGAF will stop fighting, one day

That's what a community is. Otherwise you risk just having an echo chamber and every post is a circle jerk. No one is fighting here, we're having arguments which are healthy and quote conducive to discussion. Everyone has valid and differing opinions. I haven't seen anyone insult/attack another poster yet, so I dunno.

I'm interested to see how the SMG and the silenced version plays out, like there must be some difference otherwise what's the point.
A silenced weapon isn't much use in a game with a movement based radar.

Fuchsdh

Coag remake confirmed, concepts:

That is some beautiful concept art. Prolly some of my favorite I've seen from Halo, period.

Check out this gif.

AromaticWaryIrukandjijellyfish.gif

It will be interesting to see how much of H2A relates to what Halo 5 looks like. Right now the multiplayer looks like a refined and dialed back version of Halo 3 and 4's--it's a bit less cluttered and cleaner, a lot more refined. Would have to see more of it but it definitely looks promising.

(The glow of the HUD elements is a bit excessive for my taste but it definitely stands out well from the environment. Also I really liked the weapon indicators in Halo 4 but if this suggests they're dialing them back so they don't fill up your screen all at once I think that's better for everyone.)

Also: are there hitmarkers in the remastered multi?

EDIT: Watching the VOD now. But that menu design pretty strongly suggests that campaign scoring is in Halo 2 (there's a top 5 friends leaderboard when they're looking through Halo 2 campaign playlists.). Do we have any confirmation on that?

Yeah, I'd rather have a Halo CE, Halo 2 or even possibly Halo 3 out every few years, than have a Reach or Halo 4.

What are you even arguing here? That's some pretty weird thinking. Concepts and ideas should be judged before implementation. Otherwise, you're basically playing Russian roulette with the games. Because you're only calling out negative judgments. How is it any different than the guys who say it's a good addition? They haven't seen it either. I think the ability to walk through walls will be bad for Halo game play. I don't need to have an armor ability in game and see game play of it before I can make that judgement.

That's a stretch and you know it. Armor lock, jetpacks, et al are all very different from core Halo gameplay, but not even close to the extent of walking through walls. Hack and Teleport were both cut from Halo 4, and I trust that there were practical and balance reasons for doing so. You're right, it's no worse than saying these additions are a good call without seeing them or playing with them. At most, I've only seen people say they find it cool in theory, or defend possible reasons for their inclusion. Not one person is saying "This are good decisions, I refuse to hear anyone disagree". They just aren't damning them before the game even goes gold.

My only point is I'm not you. I don't want the same 3 games rereleased over and over. Then Halo becomes COD. I want risks. Some will work, some won't. Simple as that. I respect that you disagree, and that's you're business.

Mistel

Banned
I'm interested to see how the SMG and the silenced version plays out, like there must be some difference otherwise what's the point.
A silenced weapon isn't much use in a game with a movement based radar.
I assume it is similar to the suppressed one in H2 vista. Don't quote me on that though.

-Ryn

Banned
Maybe it's just that the visual indicators for vehicle health are shitty, but there's been countless times that I've gotten into vehicles in Reach that were promptly destroyed even if they looked barely damaged.
It's happened to me before too but I always attributed to some kind of glitch. For instance with the Warthog, the hood will be blown off and on fire when it is at its worst condition. For whatever reason though sometimes the fire wouldn't actually appear. Not sure if it was a network thing or just a big like I said earlier. This I can see being a problem since it is a major visual indicator.

The Falcon is easier to tell with since it's engines are HUGE and even when it isn't on fire you can see that it is practically being held together by nothing but your sheer will to not explode in the sky.

Basically for the health system to work it needs to have visual indicators that aren't easily mistaken. Though the beeping sort of helps there's a point where beeping really fast is hard to differentiate from beeping slightly faster because you're about to be a flaming ball if shrapnel. The health display from CE really needs to come back along with being able to see your team health.

Fuchsdh

I think you can certainly have an opinion on stuff before it ships, but ultimately we're not making the game. Whether something's good or not is much more in the implementation, i.e. 343's "integration of the expanded fiction" is awesome, but in certain implementations (Halo 4's terminals, et al) it just wasn't great.

I think there's also something to be said with figuring out why you react so negatively to something. Is it really an AA that lets you teleport, or is it not knowing who has what AA, or spawning asymmetrically? (For me, it's far more the latter. Obviously camo powerups and overshields were never an issue in CE and 2 for the vast majority of people, so having other abilities sounds fun. But is it understandable why the roulette of Reach and 4 off-put people as antithetical to "core" Halo principles? Absolutely.)

It's happened to me before too but I always attributed to some kind of glitch. For instance with the Warthog, the hood will be blown off and on fire when it is at its worst condition. For whatever reason though sometimes the fire wouldn't actually appear. Not sure if it was a network thing or just a big like I said earlier. This I can see being a problem since it is a major visual indicator.

The Falcon is easier to tell with since it's engines are HUGE and even when it isn't on fire you can see that it is practically being held together by nothing but your sheer will to not explode in the sky.

Basically for the health system to work it needs to have visual indicators that aren't easily mistaken. Though the beeping sort of helps there's a point where beeping really fast is hard to differentiate from beeping slightly faster because you're about to be a flaming ball if shrapnel. The health display from CE really needs to come back along with being able to see your team health.

I think the vehicle feedback in 4 is a lot better in general than Reach, but there's still the uncertainty about what will finally kill ya. Going back to vehicle destruction being tied to Spartan health seems a clearer option (although I would keep that feedback in the game too, so teammates know when to bail et al.)

Madness

That's a stretch and you know it. Armor lock, jetpacks, et al are all very different from core Halo gameplay, but not even close to the extent of walking through walls. Hack and Teleport were both cut from Halo 4, and I trust that there were practical and balance reasons for doing so. You're right, it's no worse than saying these additions are a good call without seeing them or playing with them. At most, I've only seen people say they find it cool in theory, or defend possible reasons for their inclusion. Not one person is saying "This are good decisions, I refuse to hear anyone disagree". They just aren't damning them before the game even goes gold.

My only point is I'm not you. I don't want the same 3 games rereleased over and over. Then Halo becomes COD. I want risks. Some will work, some won't. Simple as that. I respect that you disagree, and that's you're business.

Look, I'm just saying, that ideas and concepts should be judged and challenged before implementation, that way, we can avoid a lot of the derision the games get at release.

My comment about walking through walls, is no different than the days before Reach before armor abilities became a thing. It's not really a stretch. Could you honestly have believed that the ability to become invincible at will, or be able to "fly" was a good addition? I'm just saying, that I can criticize the idea of it before I see it in game or play it for myself.

I don't know where you got the idea I'm damning anything or that I want the same game verbatim. All I did was respond to someone else regarding not being able to complain about Halo 2 Anniversary because we're getting the original Halo 2 multi-player suite. I should have the ability to say that I'm iffy about the inclusion of offensive capabilities on the Mongoose etc.

Look, I'm just saying, that ideas and concepts should be judged and challenged before implementation, that way, we can avoid a lot of the derision the games get at release.

My comment about walking through walls, is no different than the days before Reach before armor abilities became a thing. It's not really a stretch. Could you honestly have believed that the ability to become invincible at will, or be able to "fly" was a good addition? I'm just saying, that I can criticize the idea of it before I see it in game or play it for myself.

I don't know where you got the idea I'm damning anything or that I want the same game verbatim. All I did was respond to someone else regarding not being able to complain about Halo 2 Anniversary because we're getting the original Halo 2 multi-player suite. I should have the ability to say that I'm iffy about the inclusion of offensive capabilities on the Mongoose etc.

Preach

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Is ricochet in any active playlists right now or is it impossible to get the achievements currently?

If you were to tell me I'd be invisible for a time, yeah I'd go wtf, because I'd assume I could walk around and attack players in that state. If you told me I could freeze in place, become invisible, and run the risk of having my ass beat down once my invincibility wore off, I'd be more open to the idea. Context is a big part of it all. The panel said a lot of the QA guys loved how the bubble shield changed everything and made the match more frantic. I don't take their word as gospel, but I'm more inclined to try it. That's all I'm saying. No idea thus far has made me dislike the concept. There are ones I like more than others (not sold on the gungoose, but that could change), but I'm not against anything yet. Just my 2 cents. Be iffy all you want, I encourage it! I just didn't see you or others take a "not sold" stance on it so much as a "hate it already" stance. My mistake if I misread that vibe.

Ricochet is in 3 different playlists. Standard gametype in team dlc, shotgun ricochet in action sack, and ricochet BR's in proving ground.

Yeah, this. There's no dedicated Ricochet playlist like there was before, but there is a few playlists that have it in rotation. Of course, you'll have to be lucky enough to be in a lobby where everyone votes for it.

....now that I think about it, I think I still need those achievements myself.

EDIT
I wish they'd bring back a ricochet dedicated playlist
Yeah me too.

I think I know why people are confused about button mapping.

People might be confusing it with interactive buttons on the map. :lol

Wow...well thats awkward...sorry for the mixup everyone

Assuming they're using the original engines for the classic versions (as we've been told), this is almost a guaranteed no. The stuff on the stream was saying stuff like "no matter what Halo I'm playing, I want the default controls" or "always make X my sensitivity". H2A it might be possible, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. My understanding is that button mapping would only be possible with a new engine because of certain dependencies since CE inherent in the engine.

Oh, that makes a bunch more sense now. So in Halo 5 there may be a higher chance because its built on a completely new engine (I believe)? But, again this is just a hope.

Mistel

Banned
I wish they'd bring back a ricochet dedicated playlist
I'd like one for oddball or at least an combined objective playlist with it in there. Right now it's in about 4 or 5 different playlists a majority of the playlists are those that I don't enjoy.

Oh yeah, now people talk about ricochet again after I asked if anyone wanted to search for it for achievement purposes. I still can't believe I finally got it on my own lol, so quick.

I'd like one for oddball or at least an combined objective playlist with it in there. Right now it's in about 4 or 5 different playlists a majority of the playlists are those that I don't enjoy.

The sad thing is aside from Infinity Slayer, BTB, and SWAT, most of the other playlists are pretty empty...

Top Bottom