• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But didnt those weapons were in Halo 2 unused stuff, 343 just dig on it and tweak it?
I think the Silenced SMG was intended to be in the game (and was actually in the Vista version), but I'm not sure about the AR. But the H2A multiplayer is an entirely new engine, right? So I don't think that stuff should matter so much. It looks like they want to take the "spirit" of the Halo 2 multiplayer and add some new twists. I think the grenade launcher would be a cool twist.

I really hope grenade indicators and hit markers aren't in also.
+1

My criticism of the tearing criticism whipped up in shitty mspaint form:

L3hNWS3.png

Clouds mean an internet download or upload or whatever.

Mix

There's a bunch of fantastic questions here guys, seriously. Keep them coming.

Karl, preferably tonight by tonight. Interview is tomorrow

Akai__

I think I know why people are confused about button mapping.

People might be confusing it with interactive buttons on the map. :lol

Hellish

I feel like without these ranked playlists for each individual game it will feel weird / lacking.

Team Slayer
Team Doubles (Mixed)
Team Snipers
Big Team Battle (6v6+ mixed slayer/objective)
Team Hardcore (Potentially MLG)
Rumble Pit / Free For All
....I realize I didn't list 4v4 objective but in H2, and H3 it seemed pretty dead even during their prime.

Personally when I play I know I will 100 percent not want to queue for all games, and someone getting a high rank in halo 4 gametypes should not be able to play against someone with a high rank in halo 1. I also do not think population will be an issue during the initial year of this game (pre H5), post halo 5 release the playlists will most likely need a rework to deal with the decreased population.

ElRenoRaven

Obviously, these changes don't take anything away from the original maps. They are still there untouched so I don't understand why this would cause so much upset.

Exactly. It's not like there won't be classic Halo 2 gameplay still.

I think the Silenced SMG was intended to be in the game (and was actually in the Vista version), but I'm not sure about the AR. But the H2A multiplayer is an entirely new engine, right? So I don't think that stuff should matter so much. It looks like they want to take the "spirit" of the Halo 2 multiplayer and add some new twists. I think the grenade launcher would be a cool twist.

+1

Yup as Fyrewulf mentioned They at least played around with bringing the AR back in Halo 2 as there is stuff in some of the beta builds. Personally they should have. Halo 2 just feels so weird without it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm not very interested in the cross-game playlists, either. I think it's a cool idea, but you know what would be an even cooler idea? A custom games browser! Make it just like Battlefield. "I want to play [gametype] on [map], and I want it to be [ranked or social]."

Is there really any reason a custom games browser wouldn't work?

ElRenoRaven

Just now watching the panel, good god you guys weren't kidding about that skybox.. gorgeous
Yup. They are some amazing looking skyboxes. I hope Halo 5's make a move this direction and have some amazing ones. Halo 4's were very meh I thought.

Yeah, I'm not very interested in the cross-game playlists, either. I think it's a cool idea, but you know what would be an even cooler idea? A custom games browser! Make it just like Battlefield. "I want to play [gametype] on [map], and I want it to be [ranked or social]."

Is there really any reason a custom games browser wouldn't work?

Something something fragments user base something something hard to tell what's being played something something cause

Kampfheld

Banned
For me, one really interesting tidbit they were talking about at the panel was that "Warfare" mode they originally worked on for Halo 2 - with 16 vs 16 players. This really would be insane. Maybe we get something like this for Halo 5. It would fit with the ntkrnl leak - he said that the beta would feature some VERY huge maps.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98909012&postcount=2246

ntkrnl said:
Halo 5 beta is going to be fun... should run throughout December, 6-8 maps, 2 arena maps, 2 forge maps.

BTW, the maps are going to be huge.

Omni

My criticism of the tearing criticism whipped up in shitty mspaint form:

Clouds mean an internet download or upload or whatever.
Of course. I think it's something to keep an eye on whatever the case

Slightly unrelated. When is gamescom or whatever it's called?

ElRenoRaven

For me, one really interesting tidbit they were talking about at the panel was that "Warfare" mode they originally worked on for Halo 2 - with 16 vs 16 players. This really would be insane. Maybe we get something like this for Halo 5. It would fit with the ntkrnl leak - he said that the beta would feature some VERY huge maps.

Yup. See I'm glad he confirmed that. I thought I was nuts because I had remembered rumors of that mode but never have seen it ever mentioned. I'm glad someone confirmed it was real at one point. I'd have loved to see what it would have been like. Always wanted a mode kind of like that.

Takashi

Yup. They are some amazing looking skyboxes. I hope Halo 5's make a move this direction and have some amazing ones. Halo 4's were very meh I thought.

In addition to awesome skyboxes, I also wouldn't mind Halo 5 having maps that aren't visually busy. The remastered Ascension so far looks to be a good sign for sticking with that clean simple look.

ElRenoRaven

In addition to awesome skyboxes, I also wouldn't mind Halo 5 having maps that aren't visually busy. The remastered Ascension so far looks to be a good sign for sticking with that clean simple look.

Yup. Same here. As time went on and maps got more and more cluttered I found my enjoyment becoming less. It really hit it's high point with 4. Those maps were so busy and just poorly designed. I can only think of 2 maybe 3 I like in all of Halo 4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love for one of our resident Bungie historians to take some of the stuff Max Hoberman talked about and elaborate. I'm sure one of you have done research on this stuff before. It was really fascinating to hear about.

Side note: it'd be cool if someone (343?) produced a really expansive, candid documentary on the history of Halo from a development angle.

Slightly unrelated. When is gamescom or whatever it's called?
Their website says 14.-17.08.2014. I'm no expert at reading crazy European date formats, but I think that means Decembruary oneteenth

I'd love for one of our resident Bungie historians to take some of the stuff Max Hoberman talked about and elaborate. I'm sure one of you have done research on this stuff before. It was really fascinating to hear about.

Side note: it'd be cool if someone (343?) produced a really expansive, candid documentary on the history of Halo from a development angle.

first 20 minutes: we had a classic build
last 20: we scrapped it

ElRenoRaven

Oh I'd love if MS/Bungie/343/CA etc would give someone the go ahead to really come in and do a proper documentary on Halo from that point of view. I'm talking extensive interviews with everyone who worked on the games, extensive look at every possible build they still have, etc. It's just amazingly fascinating. It would be insanely long though if I were to do it. I'm talking longer then some tv shows last. lol

It's not just Halo either. I love seeing behind the scenes of these games and how they're made. I'm nowhere near smart enough and have no artistic abilities so I couldn't make games but god I just love to see this stuff.

Vico

Will have to catch on the panel later, but those skybox gifs are freaking gorgeous. Gungoose might be fun.

Can't wait for Comic Con.
I hope they'll have two panels, like in 2012. One for the Ridley Scott project, and one for the Collection.

FyreWulff

Just an off the cuff opinion, not really to the Anniversary stuff specifically:

I think some of the reaction here is due to the fact that it seems that 343 listens to a request, but seemingly feels compelled to package another 343.jpg decision along with it, and they've been doing it since the Reach TU.

Reach TU/Vanilla/Anniversary had poor communication of what you were playing, because the gametypes had the same name. So in certain playlists, you didn't know what pistol you had until you fired it. An easy fix was to simply clearly name the gametypes. They did that. And at the same time, they packaged it with the change of making Reach playlists Vanilla or TU only, making the gametype name change completely redundant and diminishing the Vanilla community's ability to play Vanilla Reach.

Halo 4 added magnets to Forge, but removed precision editing.

Halo 4 added the red X back but then gave people the ability to survive their vehicle being destroyed.

Adding weapon tune parameters to Reach and Halo 4 to bypass the cert process, but only using them once and never doing custom requests for weapon tunes.

So it's frustrating for people that they added the Halo 2 anniversary maps and updated the maps to have new functions, but as a package you have to take Halo 4's speed boost and other stuff with it. And in the same line, no option is provided to play Halo 2 classic without button glitches or map escapes. So it's irritating when your choice is to play the way 343/MS want you to play, the new way 343/MS want you to play, but not options to truly give the community choice in the matter. And it's an ongoing theme for the past 3 years.

Check out this gif.

AromaticWaryIrukandjijellyfish.gif

Pay attention to the Needler spawn in the top right, below low tower snipe.

Weapon indicators are not visible through map geometry at least in this build. Can't see shotty spawn around corner by tele, can't see needler when the platform blocks it. When looking at a weapon, you see a very small indicator pointing to it, but not what the weapon actually is. Also, it seems that the indicator only pops up when you are close by, so there is some kind of radius check going on. I don't see this as a problem at all, just a nice touch for visibility purposes. Not like Halo 4's at all.

edit: here's a shitty closeup on an indicator on the PP on skybridge:
ExaltedImpressiveAnophelesmosquito.gif

Speed Boost being a powerup is perfectly acceptable, in my opinion. I expect it won't be an ordnance reward like in Halo 4 either, since that mechanic isn't in Halo 2A mp, so it will be spawning on a timer in a specific location like any old powerup. Good new dynamic to remember and control, anyway.

DeadNames

Banned
Yeah I really don't understand why people are upset about speed boost lol. As long as its not randomly dropped from the sky I'm okay. I'm all for new powerups.

blamite

The Gungoose is still very much best used for quick travel and transport. You've very exposed and vulnerable in one so it's nowhere near as effective at taking down infantry like the Ghost or Warthog. The main difference now is that when you respawn at base you don't frown at the fact that your teammates already took the bigger vehicles haha.

So, are the guns totally locked down, only able to shoot straight ahead, or are they able to kind of rotate a little bit to point towards the player's reticle, like the Ghost?

wwm0nkey

Speed boost as a power is 100% fine, you don't earn it via drop, you have to go for it just like OS or AA, also its not really that powerful lol.

Also I like the small indicator when you get closer to a weapon, doesn't really change anything but it will be helpful for people who don't know what weapons spawn there when exploring the map rather than seeing them all the way across the map.

Also can we get a switch for lockout that causes a blizzard to lower visibility, that would be awesome, maybe even send the station into a free fall.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Map callouts make me so excited. Finally an universal name of locations that everyone can understand. Counter Strike got it right.
They're not really intuitive, though. Reach had them, too, and everyone ignored them and just made up better ones, lol.

And yeah, I like the little weapon indicator and speed boost, too.

-Ryn

Banned
This would be awesome.

I loved watching the bonus discs for Halo 2 and 3's Legendary editions. Seeing how the development of the game went, complications, the way certain thing were handled and so on were really cool to witness.

Seeing how the story developed is also really great because it's interesting to find our how their thought process went and what could've been. Hell I would like to see what "creative differences" caused that one dude to leave 343 a while back were. What were they originally going for?

If 16v16 happens in Halo 5 we better have some good aerial vehicles. Falcon is a must for the vehicles. Everything else is secondary.

FyreWulff

They're not really intuitive, though. Reach had them, too, and everyone ignored them and just made up better ones, lol.

There was supposed to be a way to rename and change the callout zones in Reach (and Forge maps would have been able to customize theirs too), but didn't make ship.

I did notice they didn't change right away on pathways, but so long as the areas are named something that makes sense, I'm happy. Reach's location names were... odd.

Speed boost as a power is 100% fine, you don't earn it via drop, you have to go for it just like OS or AA, also its not really that powerful lol.

Also I like the small indicator when you get closer to a weapon, doesn't really change anything but it will be helpful for people who don't know what weapons spawn there when exploring the map rather than seeing them all the way across the map.

Also can we get a switch for lockout that causes a blizzard to lower visibility, that would be awesome, maybe even send the station into a free fall.

Yep. Just helps for quickly scanning the environment for stuff. With the improved lighting and shadows nowadays, it's sometimes hard to see weapon placements on the maps (especially if you're moving them to new places in Forge). This feature helps, and it doesn't really change gameplay much at all. I like it.

senador

Banned

They were fine I think but when you died they went away. So you could never learn them because the only time you'd likely look at them was on death, but they disappeared. I think that alone killed them.

I think some of the reaction here is due to the fact that it seems that 343 listens to a request, but seemingly feels compelled to package another 343.jpg decision along with it, and they've been doing it since the Reach TU.

Reach TU/Vanilla/Anniversary had poor communication of what you were playing, because the gametypes had the same name. So in certain playlists, you didn't know what pistol you had until you fired it. An easy fix was to simply clearly name the gametypes. They did that. And at the same time, they packaged it with the change of making Reach playlists Vanilla or TU only, making the gametype name change completely redundant and diminishing the Vanilla community's ability to play Vanilla Reach.

Halo 4 added the red X back but then gave people the ability to survive their vehicle being destroyed.

Adding weapon tune parameters to Reach and Halo 4 to bypass the cert process, but only using them once and never doing custom requests for weapon tunes.

So it's frustrating for people that they added the Halo 2 anniversary maps and updated the maps to have new functions, but as a package you have to take Halo 4's speed boost and other stuff with it. And in the same line, no option is provided to play Halo 2 classic without button glitches or map escapes. So it's irritating when your choice is to play the way 343/MS want you to play, the new way 343/MS want you to play, but not options to truly give the community choice in the matter. And it's an ongoing theme for the past 3 years.

Always seems to be a catch or 10.

-Ryn

Banned

I think the compass in Reach was a brilliant addition. At least for people that didn't know the map very well or couldn't do call outs. I had multiple friends who had no idea what "blue 2" was but when I said "NE corner something something" they actually understood.

Friendly waypoints, red X's, and the compass did a great job for communication. Funny thing was that a lot of people didn't even realize it was there.

Never forget 'The Michael Bay'
Wut

Madness

Tashi's reasoning for why the Mongoose has guns honestly sounds like the reason Personal Ordnance was introduced.

"Now you don't need to worry about everyone hogging the power weapons all the time, call down your own".

Who cares if the Mongoose couldn't fire and your teammates took the rest. It's a fast mobility vehicle meant to transport players quickly, or pick them up during flag runs. Giving them offensive capabilities is just stupid. And AR as a mid-range weapon? What?

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I'm kind of in agreement about the H2A MP thing. Another showing and it's even more confusing as to why this is being made. We have the classic H2, and then this weird bastardized version...

Why even make this crossbred limbo mode/engine if we're getting H5 beta in December?

This thing can't directly inform H5 beta as it's not enough time to turn anything around so I have to think that it's another 343 ownership-insecurity thing.

The fact that they are changing some of the maps (for the better) but then leaving out the button glitches is at odds with one another. Like, are you trying to make a modern or better version of H2 or is this a spiritual successor? I'm just pretty confused about the motivations.

How they can decide that small map tweaks (which were needed) are somehow more integral than providing part of the skill-gap that made H2 viable competitively, is beyond me.

Fracas

#fuckonami

This is how I feel. I thought I was going to get to play Halo 2 on what should be the definitive version of the best maps. I really don't want this weird hybrid gametype.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi's reasoning for why the Mongoose has guns honestly sounds like the reason Personal Ordnance was introduced.

"Now you don't need to worry about everyone hogging the power weapons all the time, call down your own".

Who cares if the Mongoose couldn't fire and your teammates took the rest. It's a fast mobility vehicle meant to transport players quickly, or pick them up during flag runs. Giving them offensive capabilities is just stupid. And AR as a mid-range weapon? What?

That's not the reason they have guns. That's just me having a chuckle about something I personally notice while playing.

It still fills that same role.

That's not the reason they have guns. That's just me having a chuckle about something I personally notice while playing.

It still fills that same role.

it used to be risk vs reward. risk of no guns but fast exfiltration vehicle. now its a fast exfil vehicle with guns.

no detriment to the driver.

it used to be risk vs reward. risk of no guns but fast exfiltration vehicle. now its a fast exfil vehicle with guns.

no detriment to the driver.

We still don't know the rate of fire, the amount of damage the guns do, any limitations on distance/spray/etc.... There's still plenty to counter all that speed and firepower. They just announced the damn thing, wait for details.

Top Bottom