• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Me too!

Anyway: I feel like the return of bubble or regen in any form would be a net negative to the competitive community, and having variable grenades seems like it'd be more cumbersome than it's worth. I like the pulse/emp idea, though.

Speaking more generally, unconventional grenades are an interesting concept. You'd have to minimize the variety and number available, since people need to have some idea of what they're going to be dealing with. Having a single "special" grenade slot is a good way to help with that. That said, I think there's some real potential for skilled players to be able to use them to get the edge.

The spike grenade alterations sound good, but I'd make it a little bit broader than what I'm seeing there. Making it narrower to encourage skilled placement is one thing, but that looks like it'd be nigh-impossible to hit anyone.

I'd also like to see grenades in general made less effective overall against vehicles, since that's what anti-vehicle weapons are supposed to be for.

I don't think bubbles and regens would be a net negative at all. Competitive playlists can remove special grenades/lock those grenade modes. Bubble and regen are fine in my opinion, they just need to be balanced better than they were in Halo 3. The drop shield in Reach being able to be destroyed with damage was a step in the right direction, but because it was an unlimited use AA, and ALSO combined the regen effects, it was way overpowered, and I don't even remember it being an option in matchmaking ever. The bubble grenade is sort of like armour lock, except that it's single use, and because it is part of the Special, it requires getting to a spawn location on the map. This allows for the spawns to be timed and controlled as a sort of higher grenade class - a "power-grenade". I liken the Special Grenade being equivalent in sandbox weight to a say rushing for a Sniper or Rockets, with frags/plasmas/spikes more in line with a BR or something. Useful, and you want to get to them, but they are abundant and respawn quickly.

I agree with limiting the variety of grenade-types, and the spike grenade is more nostalgia coming through than anything (also bring back the Chopper), which is why I liked the switching modes thing from the CoD: AW trailer (I've never played CoD).

For the spike grenade, the red circle over Master Chief is a cross-section of the "blast cone" size, but it's just a rough proof-of-concept example, obviously I'm no game designer, I know nothing. I think it's pretty big, it's supposed to be a bit wider than the body, and you get a shield pop for a hit anywhere, so I don't think it would be impossible at all. A one-shot kill would be lucky though, you'd need to have a good judge of player height with respect to walls as well as blast direction angles. That Guardian image is to show it's MAX range, so getting that kill would be montage-worthy. Something more common for an example would be sticking it to the back wall on shotgun spawn from above at Blue hallway, which would likely net at least a shield pop on anyone in the narrow shotgun hall below, unless they were to strafe out of the way which would be still possible in there unlike with the Halo 3 spike's wide but short cone (time to explosion from stick on the 5 version being relatively short compared to a frag, maybe half that). And if you judge height correctly, you could even net a headshot kill using a freaking grenade - awesome, in my opinion.

Played a game of team snipers on Halo 3 in the pit and this guy wearing Recon Flame Helm was running around at max speed getting every headshot. Reported him just now for cheating and got his team to file a complaint also. Domed him a few times for revenge haha

Defect

Played a game of team snipers on Halo 3 in the pit and this guy wearing Recon Flame Helm was running around at max speed getting every headshot. Reported him just now for cheating and got his team to file a complaint also. Domed him a few times for revenge haha

That happened to me a few days before Reach came out. Was fun.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member

Does reporting still go somewhere? I'd imagine after all this time it probably is just bouncing to some dead internal place in Microsoft/Bungie/343.

willow ve

Does reporting still go somewhere? I'd imagine after all this time it probably is just bouncing to some dead internal place in Microsoft/Bungie/343.

I thought the cheating reports went straight to MS and the developer doesn't see them. If I recall correctly MS makes the decision to take action against a gamertag, not the game developer.

Given enough complaints against someone they investigate (how I don't know), but they also talked about having an algorithm to weed out real complaints from fake ones (ie: this dude just donged me, so I reported him as a cheater!)

Booties

Banned
Pulled my hammy playing some amature baseball yesterday. Time to skip the gym for a couple weeks, chug some Dew, and get fat playing halo.

Fotos

Have a Glass grenade like what the Covenant do to planets. That's pretty much just plasma but it could be cool.

TCKaos

6N6z0hV.jpg

Anyone feel like some Coag AR starts?

Karl2177

Yeah that would've been better than the giant get out of jail free pause button that is the bubble shield.
Oh yeah. Nothing better than a moving bubble shield that protects the flag carrier as he runs down High Ground with the flag that can kill in one melee.

Akai__

Trying to explain to people, that Halo 3's netcode isn't the best, but they are refusing to understand, because they are thinking netcode = gameplay.

Well, I should have expected that from a Twitch chat...

There is a portion of the audience who wants more of that, maybe that mayority feedback that will surely take impact for Halo 5.

Well what do you mean by "that" is what I'm saying.

I get that there are some concerns but from what I saw it looked solid overall. It's Halo 2 with a few different spins on it. Nothing that changed the game on a fundamental level either. We still know nothing regarding 5 and there wasn't much in there that if it were in 5 I would find bad.

That's just me though so what's your issues with it specifically?
They want more Garbage.

HaloFollower is still garbage.

How about no bubble shields, regen, or any "I'm losing this battle, must deploy ass saver" abilities.
But the casual fans... know what, fuck 'em.

Shame. If only they sent me. I would have won the game and that Xbox One.
I beli343ve
/s
in Speedy.

6N6z0hV.jpg

Anyone feel like some Coag AR starts?

Better than SMG starts on Coag. and closer to AR starts on Gulch.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmmm. I can NOT wait for the MCC to be released.
Should've pulled your hamstring in November. I guess you can always do it again!

PS: Hope you heal soon. That sounds like a pain in the ass.

I love these ideas! It seems like a pretty nice full-circle way to integrate the sandbox in Halo 5 while still keeping potential for new concepts in the sandbox without adding in a ton of new mechanics. My most recent sandbox attempt is more geared towards a "Halo Arena Live" sort of thing, while yours would work a lot better for the franchise moving forward. I also took the liberty of Wahrer-ing your Spike Successor grenade with a little fluff and lore:

http://i.minus.com/iTkQUqBLuShxb.png[/img

For the sake of adding something new to the table, I designed it as an Insurrectionist-created grenade type, with the according tech. I know it basically looks like a space keytar grenade at first, but the intent was something to the effect of PVC pipe painted black and covered in wiring, lightbulbs and electrical tape. The gauss-based projectile on such a small piece of hardware also justifies your tighter "Precision Grenade" cone concept. I might try screwing with some Special Grenade ideas in a bit.[/QUOTE]

Amazing. Makeshift Innie weapons would be cool.

Amazing. Makeshift Innie weapons would be cool.

But innies aren't so ill-equipped that they need to stand on IEDs. they have a variety of UNSC and Covvie weapons that have been put on the black market.

at most, the weapons the Innies are using are older versions of what the UNSC and Covvies are using in the current timeline.

Mix

Should've pulled your hamstring in November. I guess you can always do it again!

PS: Hope you heal soon. That sounds like a pain in the ass.

damn, sorry to hear it Booties, I broke my leg in football in middle school and it tore the hamstring in half. I was on crutches for 8 months... A lot of Halo 3 came out of this

Obscured

Finally had a chance to watch the RTX panel. Little things like the map location naming and the on map weapon indicators are nice touches (but of course everyone will hate all of the names, I always thought they should have made it so you could create named volumes which you define the same way as spawn zones and then whatever the label for that is what shows up, overlapping volumes could be dealt with a layer level). Looks nice, I'm curious if that extra space on the catwalk and additional cover will make it see more action. Seems like it is going to be a polished package which gives me hope for halo 5. My main issue with Halo 4 is that it felt rushed.

Biggest thing I like is the amount of options that they are packing in (which is another thing that gives me hope). I'm not nearly as down on some of the more recent additions as others, but to me the core has always been about the options and that was the main thing I found lacking.

I'm interested in what Warfare would have been and what kind of problems they ran into where after several months they had what sounded like a partially completed design doc and that is it. I'm glad it didn't displace the arena style but I would have liked the additional option. I want a big team game that feels like the campaign scarab battles for example. At this point they might almost be better off making a spin off that went in that direction as opposed to keeping within the mainline game, but it is the one thing I've never really seen come together.

I always wanted a bubble shield that was like the starry night trailer so it popped as soon as thrown, but then I'd want only the full shield that immediately begins to dissipate. So it would only last say 2.5-3 seconds but the full shield is only immediate and after 1-1.5 seconds it is already halfway down. So it a quick response action and mainly something to give you a shot against vehicles as opposed to infantry, not a come get me I have a shotgun and three friends who also have bubble shields.

At any rate November is very far away.

FyreWulff

I always thought they should have made it so you could create named volumes which you define the same way as spawn zones

Can't remember if I posted this in this thread or MCC thread, kind of losing track sometimes, but this was intended for Reach. They just couldn't get it done in time for release.

Obscured

Can't remember if I posted this in this thread or MCC thread, kind of losing track sometimes, but this was intended for Reach. They just couldn't get it done in time for release.

Makes total sense. I remember thinking back then that was how it must work and was surprised it wasn't there. Hope they went back to it. Such a little thing I'm sure, but it would be pretty cool. After playing games with people who actually call things out it is tough in other games where it isn't obvious how you might refer to something and who wouldn't know what you are talking about if you attempted to.

FyreWulff

Makes total sense. I remember thinking back then that was how it must work and was surprised it wasn't there. Hope they went back to it. Such a little thing I'm sure, but it would be pretty cool. After playing games with people who actually call things out it is tough in other games where it isn't obvious how you might refer to something and who wouldn't know what you are talking about if you attempted to.

Same thing happened to Forge variants having custom map thumbnails, was surprised when Halo 4 didn't implement that.

Same thing happened to Forge variants having custom map thumbnails, was surprised when Halo 4 didn't implement that.

I think a lot of people were "surprised" with Halo 4's Forge mode :(

But innies aren't so ill-equipped that they need to stand on IEDs. they have a variety of UNSC and Covvie weapons that have been put on the black market.

at most, the weapons the Innies are using are older versions of what the UNSC and Covvies are using in the current timeline.

Some insurrectionists could be, not all of them are part of the NCA. I think "innie" just means violent groups not aligned with UNSC or UEG (so more like an "outie"), there could be "poorer" settlements, too. Either way, having a second human aesthetic would be cool, makeshift or not, kinda like the Brute stuff from Halo 3 being a second Covenant aesthetic - or the Hesduros insect-looking stuff in Halo 4 to a lesser extent:

Though I think ancient human energy weapons and vehicles would be cooler in that regard... I don't know how that could be worked into the fiction.

Top Bottom