• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

We need bubble shield grenades before anything.

Static bubble shield spawns at the location the grenade lands. Works like Halo bubble shield. You can move in and out but no nothing will pass through.

Static bubble shield spawns at the location the grenade lands. Works like Halo bubble shield. You can move in and out but no nothing will pass through.

No way. Bubble shields / regens just end up slowing down gameplay. The only way I can see a bubble shield working is in a BTB scenario where it'll protect everyone except the user, meaning it'd require teamwork. On the flipside, to prevent double-bubble camping, if two bubbies come into contact with one another, they cancel eachother out.

nillapuddin

Unfortunately Stalker I agree, I also think it would slow the game down.

I mean really we are fortunate how great the dichotomy of frags and plasmas already are, it's difficult to add into that without stepping on the toes of the established grenades.

I would like to see it return but only if they can give it more of a defined role.

Sort of like this
1387087978201.jpg

It would still put up the pulse sphere as well. Slightly increase the damage output of the sphere as well to make it more threatening and keep it the same size. This way if the players shields were hit at all it would deter them from running straight through the sphere itself.

I can't really think of much else that would keep its current play style.

So a spirit bomb?

tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

No way. Bubble shields / regens just end up slowing down gameplay. The only way I can see a bubble shield working is in a BTB scenario where it'll protect everyone except the user, meaning it'd require teamwork. On the flipside, to prevent double-bubble camping, if two bubbies come into contact with one another, they cancel eachother out.
Make it equipment then. 1 or 2 on a map gets added to the grenade stock and is selected and thrown like a normal nade. Would work great in a support role similar to the new shield on ascension to some extent

jem0208

No loadouts please.

Why not? If they're pre-set what is the problem with them?

I never understood the dislike of Reach's loadout system. Even starts were still allowed as everyone had access to them and it allowed people to diversify their roles and choose weapons which suited their tastes.

The only complaint I seemed to see was that it was "copying from CoD" and therefore was bad.

ElRenoRaven

I never understood the dislike of Reach's loadout system. Even starts were still allowed as everyone had access to them and it allowed people to diversify their roles and choose weapons which suited their tastes.

The only complaint I seemed to see was that it was "copying from CoD" and therefore was bad.

I agree there. I'm ok with starting loadouts but with limits. mainly using them to pick your starting weapon and secondary weapon. Depending on if you give plasma pistol it's annoying EMP qualities that could be chosen. If you do then fuck no it goes away. That to me was the worst addition to Halo. It ruined vehicle gameplay. It's right up there with Spartan laser in my hatred of additions.

I think the problem with 4's and Reach's are that you're trying to shoehorn in weird class-based properties without actually balancing them. Reach and 4 didn't go hugely out of their way to weigh tactical options against one another with loadout options and instead just used them to showcase varied parts of the sandbox, which is why you got Armor Lock / Grenade Launcher / Shotty in a single loadout slot and boltshot starts in 4. If they are going to let you start with custom stuff, I'd say keep it simple, in this case with the four-weapon system. Two starting weapons: Firearm and a Sidearm. It keeps the CE Magnum and the BR alive by making them the starting precision weapons with the only difference being the single-shot semi-auto fire to the three-round burst, while the Plasma Rifle retains its CE stun and the AR has a higher max ammo capacity. The slight stun modification (only stuns shielded targets) also subconsciously encourages players to switch to their Firearm to finish the player off and teach them about the plasma-shields bullets-health relationship. It also gives the Plasma Rifle a common, persistent and still noteworthy presence in the sandbox without making it too weak or bread-and-butter.

Only having four starting weapons to account for also keeps the list of potential variables on starting players manageable, rather than the slew of under-the-hood mods Reach and 4 presented.

No loadouts please.

Loadouts are okay (imo) so long as they don't let you do anything too nuts. The system Sub-Zero's proposing here looks good to me; H4's problem was the perks, the AA, and allowing stuff that really shouldn't have been available on load (plasma pistol, boltshot, plasma grenades).

IHaveIce

Banned
Players should spawn with the same weapons across the field.

Bungie/343 fucked up with adding too many weapons with the same role.

In this case loadouts only govern starting weapons, allowing for choice between the four. No AAs, 2x frags, no tac-pacs or sup-ups, etc.

Already confirmed in Halo 2 A stream?

Loadouts are okay (imo) so long as they don't let you do anything too nuts. The system Sub-Zero's proposing here looks good to me; H4's problem was the perks, the AA, and allowing stuff that really shouldn't have been available on load (plasma pistol, boltshot, plasma grenades).

Ok ok. I just saw loadouts and thought of people having different loadouts. But I don't like everyone having different weapons as it upsets the balance of the game and makes pick ups a lot less important.

Ghazi

Every post you make about food/drink makes me love you.

Also, tonight was amazing! I'm gonna have to make a video of some of the shenanigans. What happened to your connection at the end, man?

I googled Alambre and steel wire came up, they know how to get max nutrients down there in Mexico.

If you have a BR/Carbine/DMR/etc in a game, you should let the player choose which one they want to use.

Not if one is clearly the better utility weapon.

The DMR for example has a kill time equal to a BR but with worse range. It's clearly the Superior weapon for 99% of situations

-Ryn

Banned

Been wanting something like this since Halo Legends

Legends_1337_Bubble_Shield.gif

Shameless repost regarding grenade types:

ijvwFPssS4fsv.gif
tumblr_mluh43qhU71qk5qxgo1_500.png

Players should spawn with the same weapons across the field.

Bungie/343 fucked up with adding too many weapons with the same role.
What about players who aren't good with a BR or whatever the start is? That's an automatic disadvantage until they grab a weapon that they can use.

There needs to be balancing yes, but I think that having pre-set loadouts does work. The DMR shouldn't have been a starting weapon in 4. That thing is like a mini sniper (hence the name).

Homeboyd

In this case loadouts only govern starting weapons, allowing for choice between the four. No AAs, 2x frags, no tac-pacs or sup-ups, etc.
NO WARIO. No loadouts...

...or perks, killstreaks, pulse grenades, plasma pistol starts, mechakyles, CSR, baseball cards, gimped forge, missing theater, buttons that drop shields for everyone on half of the map, AR starts, armor abilities, spartan abilities or anything that keeps you alive when your vehicle blows up, ordnance drops, infinity gametypes, Spartan ops, inability to drop the flag, auto-weapon pickups, waypoints for ammo/weapons/flag carriers, flinch, sprint, terminals hidden on the waypoint website, waypoint website in general, and you know, other stuff.

Thanks!

Ghazi

NO WARIO. No loadouts...

...or perks, killstreaks, pulse grenades, plasma pistol starts, mechakyles, CSR, baseball cards, gimped forge, missing theater, buttons that drop shields for everyone on half of the map, AR starts, armor abilities, spartan abilities or anything that keeps you alive when your vehicle blows up, ordnance drops, infinity gametypes, Spartan ops, inability to drop the flag, auto-weapon pickups, waypoints for ammo/weapons/flag carriers, flinch, sprint, terminals hidden on the waypoint website, waypoint website in general, and you know, other stuff.

Thanks!

Dear 343, please include everything in this list. Thanks!

NO WARIO. No loadouts...

Thanks!

After yesterday's stream i dont know what to think anymore.

TheOddOne

If you have a BR/Carbine/DMR/etc in a game, you should let the player choose which one they want to use.
On one hand, I can understand the need to put as much customization options in the hands of players. On the other hand, giving players everything they want does not always translate into better and/or balanced gameplay. Instead of looking at trying to find a place for all the weapons, it would be better to find out how to prevent sandbox bloat. For example: equal start weapon for all players. Side effect by doing that is that nobody is put in an unfair position, players can adjust much faster, and there is much more time to think about how to tackle encounters with the weapon they started with. To not neglect other similar weapons, playlist have to of course accommodate and promote variety. Another way to prevent bloat is to cater specific, power and normal, weapons to the maps with static placements. Weapons and maps therefore become a tad more noticeable, because of their unique placements.

Fotos

NO WARIO. No loadouts...

Thanks!

thumbs-up-computer-kid-gif.gif

Not if one is clearly the better utility weapon.

The DMR for example has a kill time equal to a BR but with worse range. It's clearly the Superior weapon for 99% of situations

Then that's the fault of the sandbox designers.

There is no point in weapons that fill the same role as the one(s) you start with if you can't choose to use them. If you treat weapons like the Carbine was treated in Halo 2 and 3, they will be redundant and/or wildly underused. No point in the weapon even being in MP unless you give the player the option to start with it.

On one hand, I can understand the need to put as much customization options in the hands of players. On the other hand, giving players everything they want does not always translate into better and/or balanced gameplay. Instead of looking at trying to find a place for all the weapons, it would be better to find out how to prevent sandbox bloat. For example: equal start weapon for all players. Side effect by doing that is that nobody is put in an unfair position, players can adjust much faster, and there is much more time to think about how to tackle encounters with the weapon they started with. To not neglect other similar weapons, playlist have to of course accommodate and promote variety. Another way to prevent bloat is to cater specific, power and normal, weapons to the maps with static placements. Weapons and maps therefore become a tad more noticeable, because of their unique placements.

I agree for the most part, especially on sandbox bloat, but I'm saying IF you assume those weapons are in the game, having an alternative starting weapon (that fills that same role) that you can't actually start with is a total waste of a weapon.

Defect

You know, Halo 4 might be bearable in the collection because I at least won't join a losing match even when searching with a team. I think that is the main reason why I flat out stopped playing the game after 7 months. I could deal with the bullshit AA's and other junk but joining a match in progress pissed me off way more.

Takashi

NO WARIO. No loadouts...

Thanks!

It's pretty baffling when it's all laid out how much changed with only 2 mainline games. Though I do know most of these are from Halo 4 and that it was arguably the worse offender.

Karl2177

Finally watched the panel, someone's f.lux was too high. I'll have more comments later once I process things and rewatch the important bits.

-Ryn

Banned
There is a portion of the audience who wants more of that, maybe that mayority feedback that will surely take impact for Halo 5.
Well what do you mean by "that" is what I'm saying.

I get that there are some concerns but from what I saw it looked solid overall. It's Halo 2 with a few different spins on it. Nothing that changed the game on a fundamental level either. We still know nothing regarding 5 and there wasn't much in there that if it were in 5 I would find bad.

That's just me though so what's your issues with it specifically?

I had hoped we'd see some of the Classic Multiplayer rather the Anniversary segment, considering it was the only thing shown at E3.

Oh well, roll on SDCC hopefully.

Finally got in our 343vHG match. Me and Mix went against Neighbor and Gh057ayame in CE Prisoner.

Went 25-4 them. Even though we got shit on, I'm just happy we didn't get goosed.

Who are those people?

Former MLG pros turned 343 employees. They work mainly in the test department.

H4 DMR ruined loadout system for me..Before H4, I was pretty excited to play with my Carbine but ı've came to a conculusion that there is always something unbalanced with loadouts..Knowing that everybody has the same weapon is better imo..

Well what do you mean by "that" is what I'm saying.

I get that there are some concerns but from what I saw it looked solid overall. It's Halo 2 with a few different spins on it. Nothing that changed the game on a fundamental level either. We still know nothing regarding 5 and there wasn't much in there that if it were in 5 I would find bad.

That's just me though so what's your issues with it specifically?

Oh, I mean they liked the posibility of loadouts, The do this interactive button to be safe from danger, ordinance themed powerups, weapon waypoints, adding edges for "skill jumps",Halo 4 gametypes and how 343i said those changes were made to be competitive and increase their skills like it was something out of this world.

Dont get me wrong, I believe H2A is a solid game for a remake too but the ideas they planted makes me concerned about future titles, just that.

Kampfheld

Banned
I had hoped we'd see some of the Classic Multiplayer rather the Anniversary segment, considering it was the only thing shown at E3.

Oh well, roll on SDCC hopefully.

We know how the classic multiplayer looks like - pretty much exactly as it was 10 years ago.

Yes, I know it is 1080p/60fps, but that won't change much to the visual look in general, especially not in Youtube videos.

Brojito

Neo Member
I just don't really see the point of including loadouts in Halo. Sure, "player choice" and all that, but if there isn't going to be perks, AAs, etc. in Halo (as it should be), then I see no real benefit to letting players pick between 3 or so starting weapons. Its just Halo pretending to be a class based game when its not.

Halo is still an arena shooter, and to me, arena shooters and loadouts just don't mix. Ideally Halo's weapon sandbox should all be diverse and unique and fulfill separate roles, right? So there shouldn't be multiple "tiers" of weapons that are all slightly different from each other but still fulfill the same purpose.

Honestly, I think they should drop the BR and the DMR and Light Rifle and basically every other recycled starting weapon they could use and just create a new utility weapon from scratch, and base the rest of the sandbox around that one starting weapon (i.e. none of the other weapons fill that same role). OR, just keep one of them and ditch all the rest, and ignore all the DMR/BR/LR fans that complain. I don't see a reason to keep adding more and more guns while still keeping the ones that already fulfill the same purpose because nostalgia.

Top Bottom