• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

So destroying an entire covenant fleet made you feel like the covenant posed a threat?

Dude, the Covenant as a cohesive government don't really exist any more. The Infinity (the only ship of it's kind) smashed the fleet of a single small splinter group, which consisted of maybe one or two moderately sized vessels plus some fighters and transports.

jem0208

The fact the humans are an unstoppable force while just one game ago they were on the brink of extinciton from the Covenant, now we have a bunch of morons flying around giving off one liners and smashing through covenant super cruisers like they were made of feathers.

It wasn't smashing through super cruisers though. It was fighting a small splinter group.

objective subjective halo 1 2 3 4 bad good salt slrp ludonarrative dissonance interactive cinematic gravitas visceral immersion platonic reliability chromatic aberration temporal post-chromaspec aliased narrative vernacular gravity gauntlet iconic definitive lenticular sandbox menagerie evocative zealotry entitled piecemeal downloadable pre-post-launch-punk algorithmic statistical grounding

TheXbox

The fact the humans are an unstoppable force while just one game ago they were on the brink of extinciton from the Covenant, now we have a bunch of morons flying around giving off one liners and smashing through covenant super cruisers like they were made of feathers.
This is the weirdest thing about post-Bungie Halo lore. Human civilization was completely annihilated during Halo 3. It would not be exaggeration to call it an extinction-level event. Nobody seems to care or remember, including the story guys at 343. Instead, everyone is just crying over some dumbfuck city in Arizona that got vaporized. Even weirder is how Master Chief was single-handedly responsible for the salvation of the human race, and still nobody cares or remembers. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of humanity bouncing back and taking over the universe, but it's almost like Halo 3 never happened.

Sibylus

Banned
objective subjective halo 1 2 3 4 bad good salt slrp ludonarrative dissonance interactive cinematic gravitas visceral immersion platonic reliability chromatic aberration temporal post-chromaspec aliased narrative vernacular gravity gauntlet iconic definitive lenticular sandbox menagerie evocative zealotry entitled piecemeal downloadable pre-post-launch-punk algorithmic statistical grounding
Oscar-worthy.

Omni

What do you mean by 'nerffing of the covenant'? I liked Halo 4's campaing a lot and I actually think it is 3rd best in the whole series so I'm really hyped for Halo 5: Guardians.
Yeah, I agree. Man that final QTE was just captivating. I was so freaking excited that I must have pressed the wrong button several times. I also enjoyed the linear on rails sections that broke with exploration or just killed you outright. It really made Requiem feel alive and dangerous. And let's not forget to mention the fragmented storyline! Name one other game that was so disjointed that you needed to read a book to understand what was happening, and wasn't Assassin's Creed

Truly amazing stuff

maneil99

It wasn't smashing through super cruisers though. It was fighting a small splinter group.

I'm 99% it was a super cruiser they smash at the start of Spartan Ops, and being disjointed from the main part of the Covenant doesn't make them worse at fighting, the weapons and technology are still there, its just now all of a sudden humanity is this superpower because 343 doesn't want the recreate the success that Halo 1/2/3 created by making you feel despair. 343 keeps trying to reinforce humanity as a rival to the forerunners, but what made Halo special was the fact you were the underdog against this massive juggernaut. bringing the forerunners (like they did in Halo 4 and likely Halo 5) might have been okay if the enemies weren't non reacting bullet sponge tin cans. A new race entering the galaxy would have been cool, sort of like Star Wars EU, forcing the Humans and Elites to join together and having to defend human and covenant planets alike, eventually going on the offensive with d-day like landings on the invaders home world that looked truly alien.

jem0208

Halo 4 positivity is banned on HaloGAF.

Duh.

Yeah, I thought that was what was being implied. Shame. The game is bloody great and it's really annoying that any discussion about it eventually boils down to people complaining about superfluous issues like loadouts.

Really turns me off the community here when snide comments like that are posted. I'm really bored of the Halo 4 hate.

Madness

This is the weirdest thing about post-Bungie Halo lore. Human civilization was completely annihilated during Halo 3. It would not be exaggeration to call it an extinction-level event. Nobody seems to care or remember, including the story guys at 343. Instead, everyone is just crying over some dumbfuck city in Arizona that got vaporized. Even weirder is how Master Chief was single-handedly responsible for the salvation of the human race, and still nobody cares or remembers. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of humanity bouncing back and taking over the universe, but it's almost like Halo 3 never happened.

I've brought up these same points before, but it's irrelevant because they'll just make up some fact that the lore guys will eat up. Oh Infinity had been in development for years before. Oh, the engineers and other forerunner technologies have been incorporated into the Infinity. Oh, not all colonies were destroyed, that's why they can rebuild so quickly.

tootsi666

Yeah, I agree. Man that final QTE was just captivating. I was so freaking excited that I must have pressed the wrong button several times. I also enjoyed the linear on rails sections that broke with exploration or just killed you outright. It really made Requiem feel alive and dangerous. And let's not forget to mention the fragmented storyline! Name one other game that was so disjointed that you needed to read a book to understand what was happening, and wasn't Assassin's Creed

Truly amazing stuff
I liked it alot =/= amazing
QTE bossfight is only thing that really annoys me. Yes, it was more linear. Yes, you had read the books. I read the books and it still was more open than most modern shooters.

Omni

Yeah, I thought that was what was being implied. Shame. The game is bloody great and it's really annoying that any discussion about it eventually boils down to people complaining about superfluous issues like loadouts.

Really turns me off the community here when snide comments like that are posted. I'm really bored of the Halo 4 hate.
Oh please. People have posted lengthy and completely legitimate criticisms about Halo 4 numerous times in the past

I'm 99% it was a super cruiser they smash at the start of Spartan Ops, and being disjointed from the main part of the Covenant doesn't make them worse at fighting, the weapons and technolgoy are still there, its just now all of a sudden humanity is this superpwoer because 343 doesn't want the recreate the success that Halo 1/2/3 created by making you feel despair.

There weren't any super-cruisers present at that battle. What they smashed was a regular sized cruiser. And I feel like it's worth repeating that the Infinity is one-of-a-kind. It's not like they've got a fleet full of the things.

maneil99

Oh please, Halo 4 is disliked by most of the Halo community because it's arguably the worst Halo game. If you bring up Halo 4 there is more of a chance people are going to talk about it in a negative light

Mistel

Banned
I've brought up these same points before, but it's irrelevant because they'll just make up some fact that the lore guys will eat up. Oh Infinity had been in development for years before. Oh, the engineers and other forerunner technologies have been incorporated into the Infinity. Oh, not all colonies were destroyed, that's why they can rebuild so quickly.
It really does impact on the story that these things are jury rigged together to explain the five year turn around time between going nowhere fast at the end of 3 to the start of 4.

It would of held together better for me if they didn't introduce the UNSC back in and left it for the chief to get back by himself. Instead of doing this complete turn around like the did with 4.

and then John was a zombie
Shaun_of_the_Dead_1.sized.jpg

Omni

I liked it alot =/= amazing
QTE bossfight is only thing that really annoys me. Yes, it was more linear. Yes, you had read the books. I read the books and it still was more open than most modern shooters.

More open? In what way?

Story telling? If you didn't read a trilogy of novels you had no idea what was happening. If you had no internet connection you couldn't even watch the terminals which helped explain main plotlines. Let's not even mention that the terminals themselves were hidden and easily missed if you weren't specifically looking for them. Just think about that for a moment

jem0208

Oh please, Halo 4 is disliked by most of the Halo community because it's arguably the worst Halo game. If you bring up Halo 4 there is more of a chance people are going to talk about it in a negative light

I could quite easily argue that I think Reach is the worst Halo, or that 2 is the worst Halo etc.

I don't bring up all the issues and problems I had with those games every time they're brought up in the discussion.

Just recently there was a post where someone clearly stated they wanted to discuss the positives of 4. This was met with a bunch of posts explaining why 4 is a bad game. It makes talking about Halo really tiresome which is very annoying because I love Halo and I love talking about it.

I'll gravitate towards whatever my communities are playing most, but in hindsight Halo 2 sucked. It really sucked. Bungie hated not getting to fully realize it and it shows.

Halo 4 has the best jumping in the franchise.

I like Reach's inertia system, just not its base speed.

Reach has the most technically impressive soundtrack.

Come at me bros. And bos.

tootsi666

More open? In what way?

Story telling? If you didn't read a trilogy of novels you had no idea what was happening. If you had no internet connection you couldn't even watch the terminals which helped explain main plotlines. Let's not even mention that the terminals themselves were hidden and easily missed if you weren't specifically looking for them. Just think about that for a moment
More open as in combat wasn't 100% scripted.

Story sucked if you didn't read the books. Terminals were needed to understand the storyline completely, but those things didn't bother me because I had read the books and watched the terminals. Those are valid points of criticism but they didn't bother me so I ended up liking the campaign.

Madness

I could quite easily argue that I think Reach is the worst Halo, or that 2 is the worst Halo etc.

I don't bring up all the issues and problems I had with those games every time they're brought up in the discussion.

Just recently there was a post where someone clearly stated they wanted to discuss the positives of 4. This was met with a bunch of posts explaining why 4 is a bad game. It makes talking about Halo really tiresome which is very annoying because I love Halo and I love talking about it.

So you would have preferred a Halo 4 circle jerk of positive posts only? Sure you can make a post about the positives of Halo 4, but then you can't expect people to only follow up with positive Halo 4 posts. You're trying to dictate the discussion which just doesn't happen.

You can bring up the negatives of past games, people do. You can't have a discussion about how Halo 2 was without people bringing up the glitches, aim assist, etc. The reason Halo 4 gets a lot of hate, it's the newest and freshest game. Not to mention, it along with Halo: Reach are looked at as the worst games in the series.

So you would have preferred a Halo 4 circle jerk of positive posts only? Sure you can make a post about the positives of Halo 4, but then you can't expect people to only follow up with positive Halo 4 posts. You're trying to dictate the discussion which just doesn't happen.

You can bring up the negatives of past games, people do. You can't have a discussion about how Halo 2 was without people bringing up the glitches, aim assist, etc. The reason Halo 4 gets a lot of hate, it's the newest and freshest game. Not to mention, it along with Halo: Reach are looked at as the worst games in the series.

It's not wanting a circlejerk; it's not wanting every single discussion of the game to devolve into a circle... squeeze? Is there a negative parallel?

maneil99

It's not wanting a circlejerk; it's not wanting every single discussion of the game to devolve into a circle... squeeze? Is there a negative parallel?

If you in a room with 10 people, 9 of them hate coke, you talk about coke being great, what do you expect the other 9 people to do?

Sibylus

Banned
I'll gravitate towards whatever my communities are playing most, but in hindsight Halo 2 sucked. It really sucked. Bungie hated not getting to fully realize it and it shows.

Halo 4 has the best jumping in the franchise.

I like Reach's inertia system, just not its base speed.

Reach has the most technically impressive soundtrack.

Come at me bros. And bos.
Can't comment on jumping, but I preferred multi in 1, 3, and Reach to 2's.

*jetpacks out of reach of angry mob*

Fracas

#fuckonami
It'll be the perfect time to redesign her and do something ridiculous with her (like when they cut Halsey's arm off). It'll probably suck.

My money's on her becoming some pseudo-villain through the Didact's space magic.

Or it turns out that her chip is somehow essential to the universe and she comes back that way

Yeah, it'd really let people make whatever they want in Forge in the Halo 2 sandbox.

I'd also wonder if they would bring the Forge World pieces forward again, and it retains the Lockout and Ascension geometry pieces.. lol

Exactly. What Halo 2 maps would be fairly "easy" to replicate accurately using Forge?

Maybe...
-Sanctuary
-Warlock
-Turf
-Foundation
-Lockout (this is probably going to get a remake)
-Beaver Creek
-Elongation
-Tombstone
-Colossus

I would rather something other than Forge World, though. Something new to use as a Canvas.

Did 343 said anything if every H2 anniversary map will have those update dynamics like the new shield in the center of the satellite on Ascension??

nillapuddin

Exactly. What Halo 2 maps would be fairly "easy" to replicate accurately using Forge?

Maybe...
-Sanctuary
-Warlock
-Turf
-Foundation
-Lockout (this is probably going to get a remake)
-Beaver Creek
-Elongation
-Tombstone
-Colossus

I would rather something other than Forge World, though. Something new to use as a Canvas.

whoa, hey now, thems are fightin words
all maps I made or co-forged in the past 2 games

Im gunna be so excited to play, but probably more so, I have a duty to port all my previous maps into the MCC. Gunna be burnin some serious midnight oil

all 6 will have something on them
This is what I had thought. Very curious on what they've got in stored for us with these.
Coagulation is said to have Dynamic Weather, correct?
Not that I know of. I'd like to see something like it, though. I really like interactive maps.
Same here. Adds a new experience and possibilities. Perhaps they might play a bit more on this with Halo 5 maybe??

They've already begun with Vertigo. And now with H2A maps.

This is what I had thought. Very curious on what they've got in stored for us with these.
Coagulation is said to have Dynamic Weather, correct?

Same here. Adds a new experience and possibilities. Perhaps they might play a bit more on this with Halo 5 maybe??

They've already begun with Vertigo. And now with H2A maps.

No clue on the Dynamic Weather.

Omni

I hope there is a time of day editor for forge in H5.

Of course that's dependant on whether they redesign the lighting system but it would be awesome if there were day/night variants of maps in matchmaking. Or even weather (though that seems a little more far fetched )

Karl2177

Not something easily conveyable through text.
C'mon son, that was clear as day.

"I thought you would be taller" is her covering up her nervousness at seeing a living legend by using sarcasm. That's fairly interesting, IMO. She serves a purpose in that she's the commander of the UNSC Infinity's Spartan complement; basically, a close analogy to the Chief's role with the 2s. Thus, she contrasts. Does she have a central role in the plot? No, but neither would anyone else you drop into her position.

Personally? I think it's nerdrage over the "eggheads" line. Since D&D, us geeks have been putting intelligent, geeky characters on a pedestal (understandably, since those are the kinds we sympathize with) and having a character dismiss them rubs some people the wrong way. This then spreads out and amplifies until we have people dissecting the character for no particularly good reason. Seriously, she's practically part of the scenery. Why does she have to be super fleshed out?
Palmer's dialogue also fits the "military bro" attitude. You can say she's nervous about meeting MC, but she acts the same way towards other characters. I don't think she's nervous about talking to scientists or the other Spartan sergeants. What I think happened is that 343i wanted to design a strong female character, but when all was said and done, they designed a man with tits.

The UNSC is not this unstoppable force; the Covenant just fractured, dissolving into civil war. Sure, the UNSC has some cool new toys (mostly as the result of borrowed Forerunner tech), but they're not fighting the same enemies because those guys technically don't exist any more. The Covenant as an institution was dissolved when the Elites broke off. There's god only knows how many splinter factions at this point, and the largest ones appear to have no interest in going to war. If the UNSC seems unstoppable, it's because the dynamic has changed from a standard war into more of an anti-insurgency campaign.
It begs the question, how did the UNSC get so large in the small timeframe between Halo 3 and Halo 4? It's not so much how the UNSC is taking out the smaller splinter factions; it's pretty clear that the Infinity is the deus ex machina here. The following quote from TheXbox is pretty good at explaining my position on it. I know Madness had a bunch of posts in the past covering it too, but I'm too lazy to look them up right now.

What is that supposed to mean...?
Look who you're responding to.
Halo 4 positivity is banned on HaloGAF.

Duh.
Oh, I don't care if you like the game. Just be prepared to back up your position with evidence supporting your claim. Beyond that, just be prepared to defend the evidence from dissection(although HaloGAF as of late doesn't exactly defend their evidence, instead just turning straight to insults).

Truly amazing stuff
Although I agree with this, I don't remember on the rails segments that weren't QTEs. I could be mistaken, as I haven't touched the Halo 4 campaign since December 2012.

Oh please. People have posted lengthy and completely legitimate criticisms about Halo 4 numerous times in the past
Yeah, but the post in question was neither lengthy nor criticism.

Top Bottom