• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

-Ryn

Banned
6aGIdFS.png

I don't know, this shows quite a different relationship now post Halo 3 event. They seem to resemble the Human-Turian reluctant allies, as opposed to one side being the victim of a near interstellar genocide at the hands of the other.

I think 343 knows a lot of people have some issues with where the story is ie. Humans/Elites/Brutes and will remedy this with Halo 5:Guardians. But for me, honestly everything that I've read and seen about the story post Halo 3 has really been far fetched.
...+wut+_c8f1614dbcdeb2d68b3b150db4e26502.gif

So um...

Back to what you mentioned about 343 trying to rectify the situation essentially, how are they doing that?

I thought Glasslands (Halsey Hitler aside) did a good job of painting a post war picture. It's been a while since I've read it but from what I remember humanity and the elites were basically in the process of a ceasefire. Things were still really tense though between them. The scientist dude that the Arbiter takes with him to Sahelios had to have guards because of the factions that were still against humanity. The "civilian" elites there seemed to be more or less neutral and just thought of humans as weak but I don't exactly see them grabbing a pint in a bar with each other anytime soon. When he solved the rubix cube thing they have they were amazed but that's about it.

I also remember something about there being other worlds with multiple factions that just kind of lived together so I'm assuming that's what that comic is from.

For people that didn't read the books I don't see how they could have a problem with how 2 and 3 did things. I found it very believable within the games established story that they would ally with each other. When it comes to the story I think 2 did a fantastic job. It established a lot of the universe and gave insight on the Covenants culture.

gifanimation-0010.gif

Will we be able to but those?

Your wrong.

Not to say "if you don't like it, fuck off". But if negative posts regarding halo 4 are "boring" then your in the wrong forum.

People have laid out massive posts with what they feel is wrong with halo 4. Civilised discussions with well thought out points. It's widely regarded as the weakest in the series.

If you don't want to hear what people think about halo 4 because it's negative and "boring" feel free to leave and go to waypoint.

It's one thing if it's a stream of posts saying halo 4 sux. But people here actually present reasons why they don't like it. This is a halo thread. When halo 4 is brought up people voice there opinions on the game. Positive and negative. You can't bitch when the opinions being presented don't line up with yours.

hmmmmm

willow ve

Who said you can't have fun at the expense of others? Plus it is only a suggestion anyway...
If the game is broken by using jetpack then you absolutely must use jetpack 100% of the time.

At least that's what I told myself as I created a loadout called trollolol.

And yes I still play CTF in 4 because the games are tense and the population still barely exists. I need approx 50 more wins to finish the CTF commendations 100%.

...did he make any of the actual content on those posters? It looks like it's just logos and character renders traced over in illustrator, some simple geometry slapped on for the cityscapes, the exact same film grain effect plastered over every poster with the only difference being the actual color of the gradient. Don't get me wrong, I'm a minimalist dude, but none of the posters he's got up seem like they've got any actual original content to them.

EDIT: Even the mixed-media level stuff on his page seems very... DeviantArt-y. I can't tell if he's actually done any of the assets himself or if he's just blended stuff together and soaked it in a shitton of post-processing effects.

Fuchsdh

For all the people complainings about feasibility, the only quibbles I have with the timeline is that the K-5 trilogy frontloaded so much of it. They had the years 2553-2558 to build Infinity, train the Spartan IVs, et al, but that all gets done within a few months of March 2553 (the K5 trilogy is a remarkably compressed timeframe.) Would have preferred to stretch that out.

(Building the Infinity during the end of the Covenant war also really implies that at least some in the UNSC were prepared for a near-total dispersal and destruction of human worlds. Hiding a massive ship out in the Oort cloud implies that if necessary they were going to cut and run and maybe use it as a mobile command station + population cradle.)

heckfu

Banned
...did he make any of the actual content on those posters? It looks like it's just logos and character renders traced over in illustrator, some simple geometry slapped on for the cityscapes, the exact same film grain effect plastered over every poster with the only difference being the actual color of the gradient. Don't get me wrong, I'm a minimalist dude, but none of the posters he's got up seem like they've got any actual original content to them.

EDIT: Even the mixed-media level stuff on his page seems very... DeviantArt-y. I can't tell if he's actually done any of the assets himself or if he's just blended stuff together and soaked it in a shitton of post-processing effects.

As much shit as we give you over your stuff, at least it's original.

-Ryn

Banned
For all the people complainings about feasibility, the only quibbles I have with the timeline is that the K-5 trilogy frontloaded so much of it. They had the years 2553-2558 to build Infinity, train the Spartan IVs, et al, but that all gets done within a few months of March 2553 (the K5 trilogy is a remarkably compressed timeframe.) Would have preferred to stretch that out.

(Building the Infinity during the end of the Covenant war also really implies that at least some in the UNSC were prepared for a near-total dispersal and destruction of human worlds. Hiding a massive ship out in the Oort cloud implies that if necessary they were going to cut and run and maybe use it as a mobile command station + population cradle.)
I thought they had started building much earlier than that and had slowly been adding more and more to it over the course of time. When Blue team made that HUGE discovery in the Dyson Sphere thing that gave them what they needed to finish the ship. They a also had Huragok helping them didn't they?

Probably because they are on deviant art and the person Colin Morella who made them is the same person as on red bubble. They even do star wars ones:
Why is this funny to me?

Fuchsdh

I thought they had started building much earlier than that and had slowly been adding more and more to it over the course of time. When Blue team made that HUGE discovery in the Dyson Sphere thing that gave them what they needed to finish the ship. They a also had Huragok helping them didn't they?

They did. I don't think we have a precise timeframe, but spending all those resources on a secret ship follows that they weren't optimistic spending those resources on the war directly was going to be worth it.

At some point the hammer will have to drop on the Engineers because they do seem like they'll be far too overpowered (unless the Covenant get them again.)

-Ryn

Banned
They did. I don't think we have a precise timeframe, but spending all those resources on a secret ship follows that they weren't optimistic spending those resources on the war directly was going to be worth it.

At some point the hammer will have to drop on the Engineers because they do seem like they'll be far too overpowered (unless the Covenant get them again.)
Didn't they mention in the book that the Engineers would eventually return to the Dyson Sphere or something? What happened to all the ones that the Covenant had. I know they left but why?

I really didn't like having to kill helpless, shield-generating slaves just to engage the real enemy.

Sci-fi war is hell.
That and being used as giant spike grenades.

HR_Huragok_Glor.png

Brutes are dicks

Fuchsdh

Didn't they mention in the book that the Engineers would eventually return to the Dyson Sphere or something? What happened to all the ones that the Covenant had. I know they left but why?

That and being used as giant spike grenades.

HR_Huragok_Glor.png

Brutes are dicks
Some of the Covenant think the few remaining Prophets took them, others took their disappearance as punishment for turning away from the Forerunners.

Obviously not all the Engineers disappeared—the ones in Trevelyan, the one Kilo-5 captured, and presumably Vergil and the Engineers who escaped off Ascendant Justice on the Gettysburg are the ones the UNSC has at its disposal, and since making new ones is pretty easy it's safe to say they'll have a healthy stock.

The Covenant probably just have the few that didn't disappear en masse, but the information we have is outdated as of Halo 4. Who knows if they've stabilized their populations or how ex-Covenant engineering has advanced since they can't rely on the magic fixers anymore.

-Ryn

Banned
Some of the Covenant think the few remaining Prophets took them, others took their disappearance as punishment for turning away from the Forerunners.

Obviously not all the Engineers disappeared—the ones in Trevelyan, the one Kilo-5 captured, and presumably Vergil and the Engineers who escaped off Ascendant Justice on the Gettysburg are the ones the UNSC has at its disposal, and since making new ones is pretty easy it's safe to say they'll have a healthy stock.

The Covenant probably just have the few that didn't disappear en masse, but the information we have is outdated as of Halo 4. Who knows if they've stabilized their populations or how ex-Covenant engineering has advanced since they can't rely on the magic fixers anymore.
It'll be interesting to find out about how the covenant have been getting by. I remember in the Glasslands how a lot of ships on Sanghelios were very poor in condition. Since the Engineers were gone the Elites, having lost a huge part of their culture due to the amount of time they had served as a warrior race for the Covenant, lacked the skills and understanding to repair the advanced tech.

I completely forgot that the Engineers reproduce by basically building each other. I think there's more to it but I'm not sure. Since they can do it so quickly though I don't doubt there would be a LOT on Earth. This begs the question though, where in the hell were they on the Infinity? Being humanity's massive ace in the hole, you'd think they would have at least a few on there. It would even explain how the Infinity got repaired so quick during 4 when it crashed into the damn ground. With fire and debri everywhere. While being shot at. Without power.
With a dumbass Captain

--

Since the Engineers basically need Methane to live and float, I wonder if the Grunt home world would have a lot?

If you've read Contact Harvest you'll remember the Grunt and Engineer Dadab and Lighter than Some (and you should since they were basically the heart of the book). They may have been an exception since Dadab was really intelligent for a Grunt but they got along extremely well. Part of me wonders if the Grunts have some kind of alliance with them since the ones we see in Halo 4 were a "radical faction" of Grunts that were apparently a different sub species as we that couldn't even SURVIVE on their own damn planet anyway!...ahem

Anyway plenty of Grunts also rebelled in Halo 2 so it doesn't sound that far fetched.

It would honestly be cool to see what's going on with the rest of the Covenant now that most of them have disbanded. I mean we've already heard about some worlds where humans and covenant species get along anyway. Maybe we will get to see something like that? I doubt it though. Maybe a reference or 2 in the games but that's it.

Now I really want to see a giant Covenant ship in Halo 5 appear and transmit a message in a squeaky voice. Then it will go on screen and we will see a Grunt in an obviously oversized chair with an Engineer next to him while saying, "I hope you like the taste of our BRIGHT. BLUE. BALLS!!" Then some dude named Flipyap or Yapflip arms a giant Plasma Launcher and sends a volley of plasma death at something. I don't care what. Humans. Covenant. A small dog? Just make it happen.

It is now my dream that this will be how the final boss or whatever of Halo is defeated.

Hey everybody! Look at this amazing video I made! The clips are all, with a couple exceptions, from the last week or so.

YAY POSITIVITY! YAY HALO!

Presenting:

YourExWife's Clips of the Week (or whenever)!

Guest stars: TCKaos, Orochinagis, Daedalius, Prinz Eugn, and of course, mastrbiggy
and Tashi...

That warthog part was sick and how you fly out the map by the lag was sad and hilarious at the same time, only in Halo.

daedalius

Hey everybody! Look at this amazing video I made! The clips are all, with a couple exceptions, from the last week or so.

YAY POSITIVITY! YAY HALO!

Presenting:

YourExWife's Clips of the Week (or whenever)!

Guest stars: TCKaos, Orochinagis, Daedalius, Prinz Eugn, and of course, mastrbiggy
and Tashi...

I saw myself in there a couple of times, apparently I missed most of those games. I'm sure I would have remembered the sticky det shenanigans.

From the fb halogaf group I posted. "I have a strong feeling that Headhunter is coming back and Speed Boost will be an on map powerup to add a big twist in adding more flow to it in H2A."

Top Bottom