• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mistel

Banned
The broadsword segment is pretty much fly forwards through a trench destroying AA emplacements whilst avoiding moving scenery till you reach the end. You can go anywhere other than the end that's it.

I thought a great bit of "human weakness" characterization or veiled nervousness or whatever was that little bit Six got with Kat in the elevator.

"First glassing? ...me, too."

It was depressing as fuck that she finally starts opening up to Six only to get her skull turned into a Scholastic crystal-growing kit seconds after.

Omni

Although I agree with this, I don't remember on the rails segments that weren't QTEs. I could be mistaken, as I haven't touched the Halo 4 campaign since December 2012.
I was mainly referring to the Mammoth section there. They just funnel you down the canyon. If you shoot the target designator too early you can break the level and get stuck. Also all the invisible death barriers and whatnot

There's only one way to complete the first half of that level

Yeah, but the post in question was neither lengthy nor criticism.
And true. Just sayin' that we haven't totally been devoid of good discussion in the past

C'mon son, that was clear as day.

Palmer's dialogue also fits the "military bro" attitude. You can say she's nervous about meeting MC, but she acts the same way towards other characters. I don't think she's nervous about talking to scientists or the other Spartan sergeants. What I think happened is that 343i wanted to design a strong female character, but when all was said and done, they designed a man with tits.

It begs the question, how did the UNSC get so large in the small timeframe between Halo 3 and Halo 4? It's not so much how the UNSC is taking out the smaller splinter factions; it's pretty clear that the Infinity is the deus ex machina here. The following quote from TheXbox is pretty good at explaining my position on it. I know Madness had a bunch of posts in the past covering it too, but I'm too lazy to look them up right now.

The thing is, human civilization wasn't nearly wiped out in Halo 3, at least not that I recall. The Covenant skipped a whole bunch of worlds en route to Earth. Plenty of resources left to whip up a single high-tech super ship, with all the knowledge they've gained over the course of the war.

And as for Palmer acting like a "man with tits..." that's not an uncommon trope for military women in fiction to fall under; the pressures of succeeding in a male-dominated organization tend to produce a certain behavior set. And I didn't get the sense that she's all that bad in the Spartan Ops cutscenes. She's got one line about scientists in general, and she acts a bit trollish in places, but generally she's just no-nonsense. Her behavior around Chief, on the other hand, strikes me as compensating.

Karl2177

The broadsword segment is pretty much fly forwards through a trench destroying AA emplacements whilst avoiding moving scenery till you reach the end. You can go anywhere other than the end that's it.

Good point. I don't see it as OTR, but I can see where you are coming from. The way I personally interpret OTR is something along the lines of "the only way the player can go is forward." The way I see the Broadsword segment is "you can't go backwards," but the definition of OTR is allowed a bit of leeway.

The most challenging part in a plot is when the weak becomes strong and the strong becomes weak, what to do know since the audience was intriged about how the weak could withstand nearly complete anhiquilation and suddenly make his enemie a shadow of its former self? what to do with the protagonist knowing you cannot advance without him go and start with another prot

Some ends the story, others put a new enemy to rest the main plot in a short term while they figured out what to do while another continue the already done plot at the risk of lowering the interest of the audience with not route or sense of the story.

Mistel

Banned
Good point. I don't see it as OTR, but I can see where you are coming from. The way I personally interpret OTR is something along the lines of "the only way the player can go is forward." The way I see the Broadsword segment is "you can't go backwards," but the definition of OTR is allowed a bit of leeway.
You can go back to where you started in the final flight segment where you destroy the main batteries. But you can't actually leave that final area other the via progressing the mission.

The only on rails segment where you can only go forwards is the falcon segment in tip of the spear where you have no control over movement.

Exactly. What Halo 2 maps would be fairly "easy" to replicate accurately using Forge?

Maybe...
-Sanctuary
-Warlock
-Turf
-Foundation
-Lockout (this is probably going to get a remake)
-Beaver Creek
-Elongation
-Tombstone
-Colossus

I would rather something other than Forge World, though. Something new to use as a Canvas.

I think Foundation will be one of the six. They are making infection an actual gametype after all.

Karl2177

I was mainly referring to the Mammoth section there. They just funnel you down the canyon. If you shoot the target designator too early you can break the level and get stuck. Also all the invisible death barriers and whatnot

There's only one way to complete the first half of that level
Forgot about the Mammoth. That's also a weird one for me. It essentially acts as a moving hub, but as you mention, there are places where the player cannot proceed without being on the Mammoth.

The thing is, human civilization wasn't nearly wiped out in Halo 3, at least not that I recall. The Covenant skipped a whole bunch of worlds en route to Earth. Plenty of resources left to whip up a single high-tech super ship, with all the knowledge they've gained over the course of the war.

And as for Palmer acting like a "man with tits..." that's not an uncommon trope for military women in fiction to fall under; the pressures of succeeding in a male-dominated organization tend to produce a certain behavior set. And I didn't get the sense that she's all that bad in the Spartan Ops cutscenes. She's got one line about scientists in general, and she acts a bit trollish in places, but generally she's just no-nonsense. Her behavior around Chief, on the other hand, strikes me as compensating.
The Bestiarum for Halo 3 states that the entire human population at the start of the game is 200 million(sudden change). Given that today there's over 7 billion just on Earth, I'd say that's an extinction event. The thing with the Infinity that gets me is that it was designed using Forerunner tech, which had only been discovered no less than 6 years before Halo 4. Science takes time. Just on a technology level, it took us over 6 years to go from Megabyte hard drives to Gigabyte hard drives. It's going to take longer than that to understand Forerunner slipspace techniques, armor, shielding, and weapons. And then even longer to actually make a massive ship with most of humanity actively at war for 20% of that time.

Regarding Palmer, to each their own I guess. Palmer comes off as very one dimensional to a large subsection of posters here. I personally don't see anything that indicates nervousness or compensating towards Chief, while retaining the same attitude towards everyone else.

maneil99

Halo 3 makes it pretty clear that the entire human fleet and army is on the brink of destruction, yet in 6 years they have an Army of Spartan 4's, a ship capable of destroying an entire fleet and installations on forerunner rings.

Halo 3 makes it pretty clear that the entire human fleet and army is on the brink of destruction, yet in 6 years they have an Army of Spartan 4's, a ship capable of destroying an entire fleet and installations on forerunner rings.

After Reach loss humanity moved all their military forces to Earth if I recall then the covenant started to destroy every outer colony and spare Earth because the prophets didnt want to damage the ark.

Humanity recovered so fast in Halo like if the covenant -human conflict was nothing.

maneil99

After Reach loss humanity moved all their military forces to Earth if I recall then the covenant started to destroy every outer colony and spare Earth because the prophets didnt want to damage the ark.

And...? Halo 3 still portrays it as destroyed and in shambles

Halsey was LITERALLY hitler... Cortana is just Hitler's brain
/s

Correction: Cortana was "born" from a digital replica of the neural structure of a brain taken from an "enhanced", but deformed clone of Hitler - stored in a crystal.
/s

--

Rant-mode: initiated, because this is a good topic :p

First, some facts:

• To create a "Smart AI", a deep scan creates a copy of a particular brain's unique architecture to act as the initial "seed" for an AI, stored in a crystal. Often memories and personalities are transferred in this process.
  • It is only a "seed" because the AI takes over once "turned on" and shifts, adds, and adapts their own architecture as they gain new information.
  • The UNSC had long ago made cloning people illegal as per the Mortal Dictata. Cloning certain organs and such for transplants was fine.
  • Because the scanning process used to replicate each brain's neural structure to create the AIs would destroy the brain's tissue, all "Smart" AIs were each created based on a "donated" brain of someone who had already died (
    It has been suggested that ONI may have abducted people to "steal their brains", but that's not proven
    )
  • Scanning a living brain was also illegal - considering it would kill them.
Halsey's "final upgrade" to the MJOLNIR Mk V project was to enable a direct link between the Spartans' brain and an AI. She felt this was her last "gift" to them, so that they could finally operate at their full potential against the Covenant - with the greatest chance for survival. No available AI candidate was "intellectually agile" enough for this, so she cloned herself to create Cortana, but not exactly - she altered the clones' genetics by "enhancing the neural physiology at the expense of the other bodily functions". Effectively creating "super versions" of herself, intellectually speaking.

Twenty clones were grown by her in secret, all of them very likely possessing awareness as any thinking being:
640px-Flashclones.jpg

Once they were "old enough", Halsey excised the brains from the clones and placed them in cryogenic suspension, then incinerated what remained of their "bodies" to hide the evidence of what she had done. Most of the brains were unusable, and were destroyed, except for specimens "H-1, H-2, H-3, and H-4".

Cortana was created from specimen H-1.

H-2, H-3, and H-4 were kept in cryogenic suspension somewhere secure and secret, because she apparently had "other, future plans for them as technology evolved" (her words)

In short, as AIs grow and learn, they need to create new neural connections inside their storage crystal. Halsey found that AIs go rampant because they run out of physical space inside their crystal, making them unable to add new connections. Onset of rampancy occurs when the AI begins severing old connections that aren't needed to make room for the new ones as a means of self-preservation. Eventually, there are fewer and fewer unneeded connections to delete, and the AI has to weigh which to remove to continue processing information. Over time, the AI will have severed too many important connection to make these decisions correctly, slowly "thinking themselves to death."

To attempt to circumvent this, Halsey postulated a couple potential solutions:

• Create a housing crystal in slipspace that is of infinite size, not limited by space-time (
    she actually tried doing this not long before creating Cortana
    )
  • Create a new AI architecture with three AIs arranged in parallel. All decisions would be made by majority vote. If one abstains, the tie resolves randomly.
16 years before she made Cortana, she wrote about the second theory in her Journal:

Also, in Halo 4 on the second level right after Chief awakes, you can find a recording of Halsey:
Catherine Halsey Research Excerpt, 11 February 2550.
"The interesting factor here isn't that H-1 disabled the viral termination code I had implanted in her matrix. These metrics imply its success wasn't just unlikely, but that even the accepted 7-year life cycle estimates may not apply. Thus far, I've determined that the unique circumstances of her creation have triggered what I can only refer to as a recessive variant in the A.I seed. As her architect, I'm currently at a loss as to the origin of the development of this rogue element. Very curious."

She refers to Cortana here as H-1, and notes that the unique circumstances of her creation (cloning herself with enhanced neural capability) triggered a recessive variant in the AI seed (from the cloned brains) and that she may not be limited by the usual 7-year life cycle of other smart AIs. What exactly spurred this recessive variant? Halsey couldn't come up with an answer in 2550, anyway.

Then later in Halo 4, during an "emotional" breakdown after Cortana fails to prevent the Didact from composing everyone on Ivanoff Station, she says to Chief:
"They'll pair you with another AI… maybe even another Cortana model if Halsey lets them. It won't be me, you know that right?"

This all leads me to some rampant speculation: Halsey will create (
or already has created
) a "super Cortana" based on a triumvirate architecture from her unused specimens, H-2, -3, and -4. Maybe we will see the results of this in Halo 5?

The Bestiarum for Halo 3 states that the entire human population at the start of the game is 200 million(sudden change). Given that today there's over 7 billion just on Earth, I'd say that's an extinction event. The thing with the Infinity that gets me is that it was designed using Forerunner tech, which had only been discovered no less than 6 years before Halo 4. Science takes time. Just on a technology level, it took us over 6 years to go from Megabyte hard drives to Gigabyte hard drives. It's going to take longer than that to understand Forerunner slipspace techniques, armor, shielding, and weapons. And then even longer to actually make a massive ship with most of humanity actively at war for 20% of that time.

According to Halopedia, that figure refers only to Earth. Actual population is somewhere north of 16 billion, down from 39. That's still immense, but hardly total extinction. There's still the potential for whole planets full of people out there.

What's a good loadout for Slayer type of matches?

I use BR Magnum Thruster Resupply & Explosives.

its very unfortunate that the grenades have a bad blast radius and you cant pickup grenades simply to justify the perks =/ I use this loadout most of the time because I don't want to get used to having the over advantages of some things in halo 4 since they aren't carrying to H2A or H5.

If the map has vehicles I usually just use them the whole game and switch explosives & resupply for wheelman & survivor. Again it sad that vehicles suck without these two perks due to everyone being able to spawn with PP & PG's.

This all leads me to some rampant speculation: Halsey will create (
or already has created
) a "super Cortana" based on a triumvirate architecture from her unused specimens, H-2, -3, and -4. Maybe we will see the results of this in Halo 5?

Cortana was referring about it was most likely halsey would erase or restart her memory because it was too corrupted to be fixed without losing her memories.

Karl2177

According to Halopedia, that figure refers only to Earth. Actual population is somewhere north of 16 billion, down from 39. That's still immense, but hardly total extinction. There's still the potential for whole planets full of people out there.

And this is straight from the Bestiarum.

The most important current factor in Homo sapiens condition is its interaction with the Covenant hegemony. Human populations have been decimated by a one-sided conflict and unfortunately are approaching extinction. Only one planet survives with any meaningful population, and that planet is, perhaps not coincidentally, their cradle world.

It also states that the total Spartan population is 200 million, which we know isn't the case. So they more than likely included Spartans in the total human population, since it states the Spartan's homeworld was more than just Earth. Another item that indicates it is total galactic population versus homeworld population is the Prophet population. There aren't 23 million Prophets on their homeworld(High Charity), since their homeworld is quickly being Flood-ified at the start of Halo 3. The sources for the total human population come from the HaloWaypoint twitter, but they draw their numbers contrary to what already existed, while stating that they come from the Bestiarum.

Dub117

I dunno. I like Halo 4. Haven't played much of it, though. Might fire it up for a bit this week.
It is way better than it was when it first came out. Abysmal population keep it from doing anything now, though. I just get on to dong BKs at this point. I feel like I'm awesome at Halo when I get on.
I'm not

And this is straight from the Bestiarum.

It also states that the total Spartan population is 200 million, which we know isn't the case. So they more than likely included Spartans in the total human population, since it states the Spartan's homeworld was more than just Earth. Another item that indicates it is total galactic population versus homeworld population is the Prophet population. There aren't 23 million Prophets on their homeworld(High Charity), since their homeworld is quickly being Flood-ified at the start of Halo 3. The sources for the total human population come from the HaloWaypoint twitter, but they draw their numbers contrary to what already existed, while stating that they come from the Bestiarum.

After looking them up, I'm inclined to look at the Bestiarum figures as an error, a retconned case of Sci Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale, or simply a list of the homeworld populations, since the numbers don't make a ton of sense for what are presumably multi-planetary species. Not to mention the fact that we know the Covenant skipped over a bunch of worlds en route to Earth in Halo 2, and 2+3 combined take place over... what, a few days? No way they wiped out the remaining core worlds in that time frame.

Halo 2 sucked. It really sucked.
Your wrong.

Not to say "if you don't like it, fuck off". But if negative posts regarding halo 4 are "boring" then your in the wrong forum.

People have laid out massive posts with what they feel is wrong with halo 4. Civilised discussions with well thought out points. It's widely regarded as the weakest in the series.

If you don't want to hear what people think about halo 4 because it's negative and "boring" feel free to leave and go to waypoint.

It's one thing if it's a stream of posts saying halo 4 sux. But people here actually present reasons why they don't like it. This is a halo thread. When halo 4 is brought up people voice there opinions on the game. Positive and negative. You can't bitch when the opinions being presented don't line up with yours.

Karl2177

After looking them up, I'm inclined to look at the Bestiarum figures as an error, a retconned case of Sci Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale, or simply a list of the homeworld populations, since the numbers don't make a ton of sense for what are presumably multi-planetary species. Not to mention the fact that we know the Covenant skipped over a bunch of worlds en route to Earth in Halo 2, and 2+3 combined take place over... what, a few days? No way they wiped out the remaining core worlds in that time frame.

The Covenant-Human war lasted 28 years. The Covenant wiped out entire planet populations in that timeframe. Reach was the last major point before the Sol system. Reach itself was annihilated. The Battle of Earth before Truth showed up had been going on for about two months. I don't think it's too hard to see the population being incredibly battered.

If it's any retcon, it's a retcon of 343i needed different numbers so their version of the story would work.

The worst thing to ever happen to Halo was making the elites allies and then fighting the brutes in halo 3.

Someone mentioned earlier that the covenant was like an unstoppable juggernaut. There's no despair in halo now.

That super cruiser getting ran through like a pinto was evidence enough.

How can we possibly still fight elites and the covenant and still have it make any sense at this point? Genuine question I haven't read any of the books

The worst thing to ever happen to Halo was making the elites allies and then fighting the brutes in halo 3.

Someone mentioned earlier that the covenant was like an unstoppable juggernaut. There's no despair in halo now.

How can we possibly still fight elites and the covenant and still have it make any sense at this point? Genuine question I haven't read any of the books

That wasn't a super cruiser that got rammed, though. The biggest ship there was an assault carrier, and that's not what got hit. The Covenant ships can still hugely outnumber the one ship capable of those sorts of shenanigans, and that's pretty much the only card the UNSC navy has at this point. If Arby got pissed and rallied his remaining ships to go to war, there wouldn't be a ton the UNSC could do to stop him.

The Covenant-Human war lasted 28 years. The Covenant wiped out entire planet populations in that timeframe. Reach was the last major point before the Sol system. Reach itself was annihilated. The Battle of Earth before Truth showed up had been going on for about two months. I don't think it's too hard to see the population being incredibly battered.

If it's any retcon, it's a retcon of 343i needed different numbers so their version of the story would work.

But how do you account for the incredibly low numbers of Grunts, or Elites? Or hell, all the Engineer stuff being listed as N/A? Having the human population drop from 39 to 16 billion is impressive, having the population of earth drop from 10 billion to 200 million is impressive. Both of these figures make a lot of sense. Having the Covenant systematically find and wipe out all the remaining non-Earth colonies in those 2 months is kind of infeasible.

The covenant needs to go or being unified against something but I dont want to see them as allies against a new threat or humanity underdog.

-Ryn

Banned
Wait people had a problem with the Elites allying with us in 2 and 3?

Why?

They didn't do it because they necessarily sympathized with us. They did it because the Prophets betrayed them. After that they allied with the Humans because of what the Prophets planned and the Flood was a threat that could consume them all.

They still have plenty of problems. Even without the books it's pretty obvious that they aren't friends so much as reluctant allies. Except for a few like Thel (The Arbiter).

Madness

Wait people had a problem with the Elites allying with us in 2 and 3?

Why?

They didn't do it because they necessarily sympathized with us. They did it because the Prophets betrayed them. After that they allied with the Humans because of what the Prophets planned and the Flood was a threat that could consume them all.

They still have plenty of problems. Even without the books it's pretty obvious that they aren't friends so much as reluctant allies. Except for a few like Thel (The Arbiter).

6aGIdFS.png

I don't know, this shows quite a different relationship now post Halo 3 event. They seem to resemble the Human-Turian reluctant allies, as opposed to one side being the victim of a near interstellar genocide at the hands of the other.

I think 343 knows a lot of people have some issues with where the story is ie. Humans/Elites/Brutes and will remedy this with Halo 5:Guardians. But for me, honestly everything that I've read and seen about the story post Halo 3 has really been far fetched.

jem0208

So you would have preferred a Halo 4 circle jerk of positive posts only? Sure you can make a post about the positives of Halo 4, but then you can't expect people to only follow up with positive Halo 4 posts. You're trying to dictate the discussion which just doesn't happen.

You can bring up the negatives of past games, people do. You can't have a discussion about how Halo 2 was without people bringing up the glitches, aim assist, etc. The reason Halo 4 gets a lot of hate, it's the newest and freshest game. Not to mention, it along with Halo: Reach are looked at as the worst games in the series.
Pretty much, would have been quite nice in contrast to the massive hate circle jerk it gets all the bloody time.

There's also the fact that the post said "we talk about the negatives of 4 all the time, let's discuss some of the positives for a change." (I'm paraphrasing slightly but that was the basic gist of the post) then this was met with more negative than positive.

If you don't have anything relevant to say, don't say anything...

objective subjective halo 1 2 3 4 bad good salt slrp ludonarrative dissonance interactive cinematic gravitas visceral immersion platonic reliability chromatic aberration temporal post-chromaspec aliased narrative vernacular gravity gauntlet iconic definitive lenticular sandbox menagerie evocative zealotry entitled piecemeal downloadable pre-post-launch-punk algorithmic statistical grounding

Where's granular?

Pretty much, would have been quite nice in contrast to the massive hate circle jerk it gets all the bloody time.

There's also the fact that the post said "we talk about the negatives of 4 all the time, let's discuss some of the positives for a change." (I'm paraphrasing slightly but that was the basic gist of the post) then this was met with more negative than positive.

If you don't have anything relevant to say, don't say anything...

You guys should just drop this beef and watch the video I posted instead.

jem0208

It's more of a meta-beef. And 'you guys' referring to everyone. We're not supposed to have these meta-discussions about the thread, remember?

also, the video will make you smile
It's mostly about a single post however I have kinda been referring to everyone as well. I didn't know they weren't allowed so I'll stop now.

Also just watched your video, it was pretty damn great. Props to you.
Also, dem snapshots in the Warthog!

Top Bottom