• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

You can have the one someone gave me. My dad said no to letting me buy one with the money I worked to make... and is now taking that money from me because I argued with him. PM me. Hurry, though, 15% Cartwheel offer ends tomorrow.

Done. I already got it, my girlfriend technically bought it so she's going to be the one getting the coupon retroactively applied.

Does anybody remember Gundam Wing? No reason.

Sometimes the classic MC look just feels right.
fullbody

So long as you don't just use all Mk VI parts and the same color scheme, I'm down with it. Anyone who just goes full Chief can gtfo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
IIRC, currently the headset adapter only supports stereo output although it's not a hardware limitation. (aka a firmware update to support 5.1/7.1 is possible in the future)

Do any XB1 headsets themselves support 5.1/7.1? I already have a PS4 chat adapter and I know basically every XB1 headset comes with the chat adapter puck; it'd be cheaper to go that route than to just buy the adapter + new headset (I need a new headset anyway)

Do any XB1 headsets themselves support 5.1/7.1? I already have a PS4 chat adapter and I know basically every XB1 headset comes with the chat adapter puck; it'd be cheaper to go that route than to just buy the adapter + new headset (I need a new headset anyway)

Yeah makes sense. I don't know though, sorry.

Haha to each their own, but I mostly agree. Got to add some personal style into the mix.

You know you're going to have a good game when the other team has 3 Master Chief lookalikes all at CSR 32 and crap. It's a bloodbath
for them

I used to love the EVA helmet, but wtf is up with the nose/beak? Ruined it for me :[

TCKaos

Done. I already got it, my girlfriend technically bought it so she's going to be the one getting the coupon retroactively applied.

Does anybody remember Gundam Wing? No reason.

I'm not done with Zeta yet but I know how it ends. I don't know what to do with my life.

I'm planning on skipping ZZ and just going in to CCA, then to Unicorn. I figure that after I wrap up most of UC I'll start some of the other continuities.

I'm thinking of G Gundam, but my brother has already watched Wing and Endless Waltz, so I might watch it so we have something to talk about.

I'm not done with Zeta yet but I know how it ends. I don't know what to do with my life.

I'm planning on skipping ZZ and just going in to CCA, then to Unicorn. I figure that after I wrap up most of UC I'll start some of the other continuities.

I'm thinking of G Gundam, but my brother has already watched Wing and Endless Waltz, so I might watch it so we have something to talk about.

Wing was always my favorite, but I appreciated G since it took the universe in a very different direction.

You know you're going to have a good game when the other team has 3 Master Chief lookalikes all at CSR 32 and crap. It's a bloodbath
for them

I used to love the EVA helmet, but wtf is up with the nose/beak? Ruined it for me :[

That's actually why I went Strider; the new shape is just wonky.

G Gundam I tried to re-watch recently... king of the questionable dubs, that's for sure.
RAAAAIIIIINNN!!!
I started with Wing and still like it for what it is. I haven't made it to ZZ or Unicorn, skipped to CCA since they released that in the US ages ago.

TCKaos

Hopped in to matchmaking only to find that all of my loadouts had been reset and that I had to purchase my entire inventory again, not that it meant much because my team wound up losing fucking 100-10 on BTB Exile.

Jesus mother fucking Christ. There is no excuse for this. No excuse. Sweet mother of fucking god.

Omni

Random questions. Is the Waypoint store the only place to buy proper Halo artwork? (lithographs or whatever they're called)

Plus is it even possible to get something signed by a few people at 343i or is that something reserved for special auctions and stuff? I'm looking at a book on Ebay that was apparently signed by Frankie and a few others which would make an amazing gift, but they want $400 for it. Which I can do but

Hopped in to matchmaking only to find that all of my loadouts had been reset and that I had to purchase my entire inventory again, not that it meant much because my team wound up losing fucking 100-10 on BTB Exile.

Jesus mother fucking Christ. There is no excuse for this. No excuse. Sweet mother of fucking god.

I'm sure they'll release a patch to fix it. Sure.

Just got off xbox connect playing halo 2. Found a room running 16 person team slayer games. It's the most fun I've had with a game for a long while.

Random questions. Is the Waypoint store the only place to buy proper Halo artwork? (lithographs or whatever they're called)

Plus is it even possible to get something signed by a few people at 343i or is that something reserved for special auctions and stuff? I'm looking at a book on Ebay that was apparently signed by Frankie and a few others which would make an amazing gift, but they want $400 for it. Which I can do but

Yes waypoint store is the official one but most of the lithographies are gone or ran out of prints. there are other websites that sell old ones too.

the signed lithographies were given via contests, its a shame they are trying to sell his/her prices.

TCKaos

EDIT:

I'm sure they'll release a patch to fix it. Sure.

KQm43pY.png

N5dCI2z.png

TrueSkill is when you grab a bunch of randoms who max out at 40 and put them up against a full party of 50s with microphones.

It is literally this situation that this system was created to avoid and it has somehow managed to fail this spectacularly.

Omni

Yes waypoint store is the official one but most of the lithographies are gone or ran out of prints. there are other websites that sell old ones too.

the signed lithographies were given via contests, its a shame they are trying to sell his/her prices.

Any links to other websites? Not having much luck with my Bing searchin'.

Ooooh. Well with what I'm looking at the book is signed. The lithographs that come with it are also signed by the artists and apparently the 'collection' is one of just 1000. I'm very freaking tempted to buy it hmmm... just 400 is a lot for a gift haha. So much easier if I could buy some art and get it signed but things are never simple!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Duuuuude, Titanfall is so good. I'll probably be playing a ton of it between now and Destiny (and we'll afterwards).

I want to get a headset soon, too. It'll be my first! I have no idea what I'm doing.

wwm0nkey

Duuuuude, Titanfall is so good. I'll probably be playing a ton of it between now and Destiny (and we'll afterwards).

I want to get a headset soon, too. It'll be my first! I have no idea what I'm doing.

Did they add anything to keep people coming back yet? I love the gameplay but it would be nice to have a reason to keep on playing so I can play more.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Did they add anything to keep people coming back yet? I love the gameplay but it would be nice to have a reason to keep on playing so I can play more.
I have no idea, I just got the game. It's fun enough for me to keep playing for a while (or so I think).

Any links to other websites? Not having much luck with my Bing searchin'.

Ooooh. Well with what I'm looking at the book is signed. The lithographs that come with it are also signed by the artists and apparently the 'collection' is one of just 1000. I'm very freaking tempted to buy it hmmm... just 400 is a lot for a gift haha. So much easier if I could buy some art and get it signed but things are never simple!

Sure

Silentium cover, robogabo's await, gamestop preorder. There are more pages but I dont recommend them to buy.

I still cant find the smiley cortana on sale.

I have no idea, I just got the game. It's fun enough for me to keep playing for a while (or so I think).

The parkour in that game has ruined pretty much every FPS for me for a long while. The flow of it just feels too good (especially with M/KB). Too bad the only game type I have fun with any more is LTS, though I haven't played much since the first DLC released.

Duji

I think the spawn argument is a silly one. Maps have a finite space to place players and a good player is going to know (through process of deduction) where people can spawn. The margin of error to mess up the prediction and follow through of 'spawn-trapping' is just as much as a someone trying to get out of it on the opposing team.

I also think that no offense, those that can't understand this have not had the ability or pleasure of pulling it off themselves, or coordinating it with a squad. It is literally Halo 101 to beat the other team to the power weapons (either by an aggressive start or getting 3-4 before making a run for them) controlling them and advances an objective push (if there is one) and then finally securing map control.

Saying "it's not fair" and "the match shouldn't be decided by the first kill" all show an ignorance of how Halo plays out. It's extremely unlikely that a player/team can hold out an entire match this way. This is in respect to evenly skilled (or therein) teams. People carry in match-making all the time, there's precedent for this.

Echoing those sentiments ignores the fact that 'getting out of your spawn' strats have existed since Halo began and it's a higher level understanding that many who casually play the game do no to understand and believe this to be one of the flaws in Halo. It's just a lack of understanding of actual competitive objective based FPS.

This is the problem, you get players that will run up to this skill-ceiling and blame the game, the players, and whatever else brings them clarity instead of digging in and furthering their play. It's an age-old problem and that's where disconnect is always bred in the community when it comes to players who know the game in-and-out and those that play casually but are somehow content on not learning past a certain point because they feel satisfied with their average play (which is totally fine, but I don't think they ever have the same stake in an argument when it comes to defining what is-and-isn't right).

Obviously ExWife said a bunch of this stuff already but I felt the need to chip in because he's totally right. (I mean this with no disrespect) New to average players in any competitive shooter will give themselves a plethora of reasons of why what happened was not their fault and find issue with the design of the game. In most cases they're just fishing for a reason to not figure out what they did wrong. It's the sign of a good player honestly -- questioning what you could do to avoid the mistake instead of running into it time and time again hoping the 'game' they disown in their frustration somehow throws them a bone out of the blue and rewards their unknowing play.

Halo is not unfair, it's what you decide to do with your time in the match that decides the outcome. Everyone has at one time been there before, getting spawn-trapped, out-shot, out-played, etc. There's a learning curve for everything in Halo and some get to that precipice more than others and find contentment with what they have learned instead of continuing to learn the stuff they don't understand very well.
Great post. I also agree with ExWife.

Nirvana

I vaguely remember Ozzy Onya saying something about Aussie customs happening semi-regularly. Did I imagine this? Because I'd probably be down for some Halo in the coming weeks, although Halo 4 netcode is actually decent enough that I'd be happy to play with any Gaffers.

GT is Nirvana985

TrueSkill is when you grab a bunch of randoms who max out at 40 and put them up against a full party of 50s with microphones.

It is literally this situation that this system was created to avoid and it has somehow managed to fail this spectacularly.

The funny thing is, we've actually beat a couple of those dudes in MM before. But, yeah, "Trueskill"...

Great post. I also agree with ExWife.

So do I. That guy really knows his stuff.

Duji

The funny thing is, we've actually beat a couple of those dudes in MM before. But, yeah, "Trueskill"...

So do I. That guy really knows his stuff.

"it isn't fun being spawn killed over and over again"

"the CE magnum isn't fun since good players just keep killing everyone else over and over again with it"

As soon as you start hearing these sorts of complaints you know instantly the problem is the matchmaking system and not the game itself. IMO there is no such thing as a game with a skill gap too big. If a team of good players can consistently 50-0 nooby teams then that is a wonderful thing. However the goal of any ranking system should be to normalize everyone's win/loss ratio to 50/50 by finding even matches and thus 50-0 games should rarely happen.

I vaguely remember Ozzy Onya saying something about Aussie customs happening semi-regularly. Did I imagine this? Because I'd probably be down for some Halo in the coming weeks, although Halo 4 netcode is actually decent enough that I'd be happy to play with any Gaffers.

GT is Nirvana985

We're playing some BTB at the moment if you wanna join mate, any Aussies welcome, skills don't matter.

As for the spawn conversation agree but for less than 25% of modes. The nature of randoms vs. teams combined with true skill parameters widening the longer the search means spawn trapping = shit games.

For MLG or LAN tournies I see the value but not for the main population of playlists. Spawn trapping on Zanzibar 1-flag was always shit.

Omni

Is there a reason why those renders look like such shit? Like a technical reason. I remember Reach player models on Waypoint were like it too for some reason

Fuchsdh

Is there a reason why those renders look like such shit? Like a technical reason. I remember Reach player models on Waypoint were like it too for some reason

I assume it's just a limitation of whatever system they use to render it. Bungie's renderer was slightly better; it at least didn't have as many aliasing lines.

Top Bottom