• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

You can preorder in amazon and get a code then cancel the preorder, at least that what I saw in the code begging zone.

Also thanks kittens for the code, you still have a ps4?

Any money getting moved in the process? That is my main issue
(and the fact that I want to get it for Xbox One, which I don't own yet :p)

If 343 can integrate it into the game without it being a nuisance then I don't see why not. Make it quick, simple, and enjoyable to learn from. If bots were introduced in future Halo games that could even be a way to utilize it.

I don't think it should go through some in depth explanation of each map and all its tricks as discovering those can be a lot of fun. I learned most everything I know from experience as well. However more in depth stuff such as weapon spawns, how player spawning works, and different ways to counter certain scenarios would be a great help to newer players. I can even see it helping players who just want to train on their own.

The information is out there so why not make it something players can access easily and perhaps gain even more from?

I agree that it shouldn't be spelled out for players most definitely and it was ridiculous how far Halo 4 went with trying to get information to players. "YOU'RE HOLDING THE FLAG", yeah no shit thanks for the heads up. However things such as the small waypoints that we saw on the Ascension are what I think of as a good example of subtle hints that aren't distracting or in the way.

Not sure that I entirely agree with the idea that teaching players takes away from the "depth" of the game for more experienced and new players. If they were to just tell you everything about the game then yes I can see your point but just helping the player to understand the rules of the game and how it plays shouldn't be an issue in my opinion.

If the game has a solid ranking system as well then the more experienced and better players shouldn't need to worry about losing depth in the game. Unless you meant that having a bunch of information on your HUD would be detrimental in which case I definitely agree. I don't think that filling your HUD with a bunch of info is the way to teach players. Perhaps in some separate mode where you are able to learn the map but during gameplay that kind of stuff is horrible.

I'm more talking about having the information spelled out in-game on the HUD. The depth being removed was more a response to the idea that systems that make the game "too hard" for less aware players should be removed or changed arbitrarily to accommodate those people. An advanced "training" mode would be helpful for some people, but I question whether or not players would make use of such a feature.

"Casual" players probably wouldn't care about anything beyond kill team or capture flag, and they're likely just always going to be "bad", so would theoretically be matched up accordingly. And more competitive-oriented players who want to improve their play can do so the same way they always have: by playing more games, paying closer attention, or analyzing better gameplay. Want to know player/weapon/powerup/vehicle spawn locations and timers without playing more? Go into Forge.

A simple tutorial going through the motions of how to play each gametype along with extra less-obvious things like crouch-jumping and spawn timers would be fine enough, but I also question further whether a tutorial like this is any better than just playing actual matches against like-skilled players, with the contextual pop-ups that already exist in Halo 3 for example. A separate mode being required to learn things that are inherent to successfully completing a particular gametype is a sign of a poorly designed contextual HUD. Something I don't think Halo CE through Reach suffer from whatsoever.

In my opinion, even more advanced things like how to control spawns or time weapons should be left up to individuals, though, as that's part of a strategy, ie: not required to successfully complete the objective of the game. People are aware of it because it happens to them, but why exactly should something like that be relayed in a tutorial mode? You should have to figure out how to better leverage the game's mechanics for yourself based on the information that you can glean from playing or from watching better players.

Something more along the lines of the "mentor system" in League of Legends (clicky) would be better than a tutorial mode I think. I don't play MOBAs at all, so I don't know anything too specific, but from what I understand, a higher ranked player can choose to be "buddied up" with a lower ranked player as a mentor, to help them improve their strategies by going over the last game in a spectator-style mode. Of course, the lesser skilled player has to choose this mentor as well. Nothing is spelled out by the devs in some "reveal-all" mode, but rather, it is an exchange of information and strategy from one more experienced player to the lesser. Basically an in-game mechanic for how people have always become better at the game. I don't know how exactly this could work in Halo, but a similar "Theatre/Spectator Mode" could be implemented post-game.

--

Edit: Plasma Instasploding is an example of a technique that would be better relayed in a "mentor mode" post-game in a more robust saved-film/theatre mode system, than via an in-game tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=xtMnP8rpkkA#t=29

TCKaos

This type of thinking is akin to telling a fighting game player to not punish the opponent for getting backed into a wall. "You shouldn't pummel and combo the shit out of him for that, you should let him get away and turn your back to him so that he has more of a chance." C'mon.

I wholeheartedly agree with you in principle but we're also looking at a 30-90 second long round vs a five to ten minute long roflstomp.

That is, however, dependent on skill based matchmaking rather than map design, and is an issue that needs to be addressed in order for the rest of the game to function properly.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Finally getting used to using the DMR and enjoying the hell out of it. I'm still torn between using the Battle Rifle or Light Rifle as my primary weapon.

My loadouts are not exactly what most people would recommend. I'm not sure what the opinion is on Plasma Grenades, but I love my Autosentry and have Firepower and Ordinance Priority (which really does seem to make a difference) with some of the other loadouts using Explosives instead.

Ghazi

I don't really wanna sign up for a Red Card, and the change of address thing sounds eh... I was just going to trade in my 360 at GS, as they are giving a bonus towards upgrade this month.

I'm trying to get my parents to let me pick one up. As a Target employee, I can get it for at least 45% off, but no dice so far.

Hey Squidhands

36744539_480mw.jpg
I don't look good in that much white.

Ghazi

That's pretty awesome. I've been meaning to apply at Target. Is it a good company to work for?

Anyone know if the Halo ODST disc with the Halo 3 map pack has all dlc, or just Mythic?
I enjoy it... but it's my first real job. Only complaint I have about it is that they make cashiers push RCs so hard.

ODST disc has Mythic, I'm pretty sure.
Send me an xbox one pls

I can't even get one for myself lol

It's the entire multiplayer suite.

Good to know, thanks!

I enjoy it... but it's my first real job. Only complaint I have about it is that they make cashiers push RCs so hard.

At least it isn't Gamestop :p
I work for Hastings, and I enjoy it enough, but it's just too small fish in a big pond. We have to push a membership card with practically no benefits, and magazine subscriptions that are a hassle for everyone involved.

Darkmakaimura

Man, I want to try out the city or skyscraper maps in H4. I have yet to see them.

Dat helmet, btw. Dead Space anyone? I like it.

DadiGMC.png

-Ryn

Banned
I'm more talking about having the information spelled out in-game on the HUD. The depth being removed was more a response to the idea that systems that make the game "too hard" for less aware players should be removed or changed arbitrarily to accommodate those people. An advanced "training" mode would be helpful for some people, but I question whether or not players would make use of such a feature.

"Casual" players probably wouldn't care about anything beyond kill team or capture flag, and they're likely just always going to be "bad", so would theoretically be matched up accordingly. And more competitive-oriented players who want to improve their play can do so the same way they always have: by playing more games, paying closer attention, or analyzing better gameplay. Want to know player/weapon/powerup/vehicle spawn locations and timers without playing more? Go into Forge.

A simple tutorial going through the motions of how to play each gametype along with extra less-obvious things like crouch-jumping and spawn timers would be fine enough, but I also question further whether a tutorial like this is any better than just playing actual matches against like-skilled players, with the contextual pop-ups that already exist in Halo 3 for example. A separate mode being required to learn things that are inherent to successfully completing a particular gametype is a sign of a poorly designed contextual HUD. Something I don't think Halo CE through Reach suffer from whatsoever.

In my opinion, even more advanced things like how to control spawns or time weapons should be left up to individuals, though, as that's part of a strategy, ie: not required to successfully complete the objective of the game. People are aware of it because it happens to them, but why exactly should something like that be relayed in a tutorial mode? You should have to figure out how to better leverage the game's mechanics for yourself based on the information that you can glean from playing or from watching better players.

Something more along the lines of the "mentor system" in League of Legends (clicky) would be better than a tutorial mode I think. I don't play MOBAs at all, so I don't know anything too specific, but from what I understand, a higher ranked player can choose to be "buddied up" with a lower ranked player as a mentor, to help them improve their strategies. Of course, the lesser skilled player has to choose this mentor as well. Nothing is spelled out by the devs in some "reveal-all" mode, but rather, it is an exchange of information and strategy from one more experienced player to the lesser. Basically an in-game mechanic for how people have always become better at the game. I don't know how exactly this could work in Halo, but a similar "Theatre/Spectator Mode" could be implemented post-game.
That actually sounds like a cool system. Being able to play alongside or even spectate a more experienced "mentor" could be really great for new players to learn from.

I can see how the tutorial system might be under utilized which is why I thought that integrating it with some kind of practice mode where you could fight bots of varying degrees of skill
ALWAYS LEGENDARY
would help make it more interesting. The tips and tricks or whatever they would be called could be seamlessly integrated into the gameplay. Naturally you could turn it on or off though for practice mode. Hell, maybe you could set up scenarios by "programming" the bots to perform a certain sequence of tasks that they would then play out as you spectated. If this was integrated with theater the possibilities could be endless.

But I digress...

Assuming 343 were to create such a mode then that would certainly be of use. Whether it is the "mentor" system or some kind of training mode work bots, both methods could help to teach a player through observation and practice without taking away the experience of discovery. I mean the community have been asking for bots for ages if I'm not mistaken. This would just be a natural extension of that.

Really though I can see "casual" and "veteran" players messing around with it and exploring the various features. I can see myself using it back when I was a young bright eyed noob.

I don't look good in that much white.
I suppose that's why you left the Navy, eh?

Man, I want to try out the city or skyscraper maps in H4. I have yet to see them.

Skyline is great. Small area with different levels. More like the classic Halo maps like Wizard and the like. As for the city one, which are you referring to? I like Perdition if that's the one you mean. Good CTF map.

What about GTA V, or Far Cry 4, or Sunset overdrive, or The Crew, or Advanced Warfare, or Battlefield Hardline

GTA V will be the biggest game of 2014.

Everyone laugh, pause for a second and then realize that statement is probably accurate.

------

Sunset Overdrive has my hype train ticket personally.

Darkmakaimura

Skyline is great. Small area with different levels. More like the classic Halo maps like Wizard and the like. As for the city one, which are you referring to? I like Perdition if that's the one you mean. Good CTF map.
Yeah, I think Perdition is the one. I don't know for sure because I have yet to see it. I remember hearing about the skyscraper one and wanting to play that. I liked that Forerunner skyscraper in H3, btw.

Ghazi

Employee + Red Card + Cartwheel + Post Office + ????

I need to stop by the post office on my way to work and get that change of address coupon. Then it'll be a truly cheap Bone.

You can have the one someone gave me. My dad said no to letting me buy one with the money I worked to make... and is now taking that money from me because I argued with him. PM me. Hurry, though, 15% Cartwheel offer ends tomorrow.

Top Bottom