• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Fuchsdh

The whole composer plotline was about changing people. Wink wink :D

Yeah but there was the whole "and when we tried to make digital people into organic stuff again... bad juju happened." So I don't think it's a matter of turning Cortana "into a real girl!"

Fuchsdh

When did that happen?

The "Reclaimer" mid-level cutscene.

".. at a cost. In the Forerunners' quest for transcendence, the Composer had been intended to bridge the organic and digital realms. It would have made us immortal. But its results soured. The stored personalities fragmented, and our attempts to return them into biological states created only abominations."

Yeah but there was the whole "and when we tried to make digital people into organic stuff again... bad juju happened." So I don't think it's a matter of turning Cortana "into a real girl!"

Guess we always have option B

kolbyjukes-mass-effect-3-edi.jpg
Kinda hinted in Halo Reach.

Isn't that talking about the knights?

No, It was tested in forerunners first (reused model of the librarian being goo) the promethean sacrified themselves to the knight transformation knowing they wont turn back to their original forms

TheOddOne

Mostly spitballing here, but I doubt the technology was not applied in other ways. Heck, I see it being used as some curveball throw in there in future Halos storylines.

Anyway, I don’t think they will go the real person route. Seeing as her role was all knowing and learning AI, I can only imagine them just continuing here role as just that.

So it seems with the 18 000 layoffs that Microsoft announced, they are also closing Xbox Entertainment Studios. 2015 Spielberg TV Show cancelled? This sucks all around for the people involved :/

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-close-xbox-entertainment-studios-7000031735/

edit: nvm, from the Phil Spencer quote:

...the upcoming game franchise series ‘Halo: Nightfall,’ and the ‘Halo’ Television series which will continue as planned with 343 Industries.

Still sucks though. Bringing the focus back to gaming part is nice to hear though, they could have done some cool stuff.

So it seems with the 18 000 layoffs that Microsoft announced, they are also closing Xbox Entertainment Studios. 2015 Spielberg TV Show cancelled? This sucks all around for the people involved :/

Still sucks though. Bringing the focus back to gaming part is nice to hear though, they could have done some cool stuff.

Yeah, I'm actually kind of bummed out. Some of the proposed shows they were talking about sounded pretty cool.

That said, apparently the whole thing was kind of a mess, organizationally speaking. Maybe once they're happier with how the X1 is doing, they'll revisit the concept.

-Ryn

Banned
Just finished playing a bit of Destiny and it's awesome!

Haven't gotten very far but the encounters and gunplay all feel great so far and the sound design is wonderful. The interface is easy to learn as well and having to use a cursor to select things isn't as annoying as I thought it would be.

Something that I was really happy about with the shooting was that I can hit targets just fine without ADS but when I do need to use it, it isn't really too bad. So far I've been using a pistol and sniper rifle but I've used a couple assault rifles as well. Melee is also quick and has some lunge. One hit kills with it only work on really low leveled enemies too. Almost died finding that out.

Movement felt a bit slow at first but I grew to like it. Certainly not an arena shooter but we already knew that. Once you unlock the double jump (level 4 for hunters) the movement feels a lot better and options open up for how you handle encounters. Can't wait to level up some more.

I haven't yet gotten the speeder bike but I'm really looking forward to it since the world is so huge and I'm still at the beginning.

Will be playing a lot more tonight. Wish I could right now.

--

Cortana coming back doesn't seem all that implausible to me. Honestly don't think she is even dead. Assuming she was though I think that 343 have enough options in the established universe to bring her back in some form without it feeling cheap.

OddOne, Fuchsdh, and GreenCastle made a lot of solid points in regards to how it should or would be handled. If she really were dead and we got Guilty Spark or a "new" Cortana though that could be a really interesting way to explore Chiefs humanity. Specifically him dealing with the loss of Cortana and coping with what could be called a ghost of her with the replacement. Guilty Spark would be really cool to just because I loved the "concersations" he would have with Chief. CE was the best in that regard.

If Cortana came back as a human or something I honestly wouldn't mind. Don't see much issue with it since it would make sense with the universe anyway. Only argument I've really ever seen against it is people saying it's weird.

It seems that already completed content is still going to "air", there just won't be anything new. A bummer, for sure.

I can't picture a Halo Story line that doesn't involve Master Chief getting Cortana back for the next one.

She's too seminal a character to the series to not be there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mostly spitballing here, but I doubt the technology was not applied in other ways. Heck, I see it being used as some curveball throw in there in future Halos storylines.

Anyway, I don’t think they will go the real person route. Seeing as her role was all knowing and learning AI, I can only imagine them just continuing here role as just that.

Check your PMs.

Mistel

Banned
No, It was tested in forerunners first (reused model of the librarian being goo) the promethean sacrified themselves to the knight transformation knowing they wont turn back to their original forms
I've got little idea what actually happened with 4's story.

Omni

I'm playing the beta on 360 because I think it's ridiculous that a 3 day beta should require a 15GB download or whatever it is on next gen consoles

^^^

But imagine the fan art

Madness

I'm playing the beta on 360 because I think it's ridiculous that a 3 day beta should require a 15GB download or whatever it is on next gen consoles

^^^

But imagine the fan art

Eh, you can always delete the download once the beta ends no? Who knows how intensive the beta is, this is next gen after all. Game sizes and data will only increase.

Danny 117

I saw some discussion over at Waypoint over why Cortana didn't detonate In Amber Clad's reactors to destroy High Charity. They noted that when Cortana said this to Chief in Halo 2, her hologram crosses its fingers.
I wonder if that was intentional and if so, what were their original plans for Cortana? :)

Mistel

Banned
I saw some discussion over at Waypoint over why Cortana didn't detonate In Amber Clad's reactors to destroy High Charity. They noted that when Cortana said this to Chief in Halo 2, her hologram crosses its fingers.
I wonder if that was intentional and if so, what were their original plans for Cortana? :)
Operation red flag?

-Ryn

Banned
If Halo 5/6 ends with Cortana turning into a real girl, I swear to Christ, I'm quitting the series.
Déjà vu

So if Cortana did become "real", how would that affect her place in the series? Would she continue being a support for information on the battlefield just via some psychic instead of being inside his helmet? Or on the chance that 343 are feeling especially bold, would she physically join us on the battlefield in some way? Whether actually engaging in battle or through some sort of field support with weapons and vehicles? Or maybe she would just run off on her own. Never know.

Danny 117

Operation red flag?

What does the capture of a Prophet to negotiate a truce with the Covenant have to do with her blowing up High Charity? Just wondering.

Well her crossing her fingers behing her back, whether intentional or not, can mean that she was lying to Chief while talking to him in the cutscene. What did she have to lie about ?

Déjà vu

So if Cortana did become "real", how would that affect her place in the series? Would she continue being a support for information on the battlefield just via some psychic instead of being inside his helmet? Or on the chance that 343 are feeling especially bold, would she physically join us on the battlefield in some way? Whether actually engaging in battle or through some sort of field support with weapons and vehicles? Or maybe she would just run off on her own. Never know.

still a better female lead than Sarah Palmer

http://www.halopedia.org/Cortana#Trivia

There was going to be an alternate story in Halo: Combat Evolved in which when the Master Chief rediscovered Cortana inside the control room, she had become mad with power and wanted to take over Halo and the universe. This appears to mirror themes of rampant AI in Bungie's earlier game series, Marathon.

As for why she actually crossed her fingers, I'd need to see the cutscene again to guess. Do you have the link to the discussion/video?

Danny 117

As for why she actually crossed her fingers, I'd need to see the cutscene again to guess. Do you have the link to the discussion/video?

It's probably a bit of a stretch, but fun to speculate nonetheless.

Wouldn't it need to to be intact to do that?

Yeah, I suppose. But at that point was Red Flag even an objective anymore? The main goal was to stop Truth from leading a fleet to Earth to activate the Ark.
They could have captured Regret easily but chose to kill him.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I suppose. But at that point was Red Flag even an objective anymore? The main goal was to stop Truth from leading a fleet to Earth to activate the Ark.
I'm not sure if it was but this is probably what you are looking for: Cortana intended to use the In Amber Clad's engines to destroy High Charity and Installation 05 in the event the Covenant succeeded in activating the ring. Soon after the ring's activation sequence was halted.

Played some fun customs the other night I hadn't seen before:

1. Pacman, this was quite fun with honour rules that ghosts aren't allowed to shoot
2. Battle Grounds with mini Spartans and random weapons
3. Octoglass rapid fire saws and a puzzle maze

It's probably a bit of a stretch, but fun to speculate nonetheless.

The way it's presented, it seems more like just funky graphics than anything. But like you said, fun to speculate.

Top Bottom