• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Omni

Okay got it. If anyone has an Xbone and feels like adding me or whatever my GT is randomrosso93

Something something Halo. :)

Booties

Banned
Trying to get some halo time in.

Forwarding ports. Something I have to relearn every time I do it, and then immediately forget everything. So much fun. NOT

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Getting rid of them too. :p
I don't hang on to games really. Not my thing.
I feel ya. It drives me crazy to own something that I know I'll barely use, especially if it's worth a lot or takes up a lot of space. I sometimes regret selling stuff off, but then I can always just buy it again. I usually don't lose much money in the process.

-Ryn

Banned
I feel ya. It drives me crazy to own something that I know I'll barely use, especially if it's worth a lot or takes up a lot of space. I sometimes regret selling stuff off, but then I can always just buy it again. I usually don't lose much money in the process.
I'm guessing you're not a big fan of Collectors editions?

Anyone here going to SDCC?
Depends.
Will you buy me a ticket?

Please?

m23

Getting rid of them too. :p
I don't hang on to games really. Not my thing.

I wish I was able to let go of my games. I have a pretty large collection of 360 games I know I won't be touching, but I don't want to sell them. It could make getting newer games so much easier.

VPAE0U9.jpg

Random17

Please 343i, dont revive her. It would make the entire Halo 4 plot in vain (lol).

And with the probable return of
343GS
it would make things more problematic; reviving characters left and right is not going to have a good impression on reviewers or universe fans.

There is the possibility that she's another Cortana model AI, rather than the original deal come back from the dead. Greencastle did one of his megaposts on the process behind Cortana, and there exists the possibility that the UNSC has the materials needed to create another. That could make for some interesting story beats.

-Ryn

Banned
Please 343i, dont revive her. It would make the entire Halo 4 plot in vain (lol).
There was a plot?

It feels like they were leading up to something with Cortana. I don't buy that she's "dead" for a second. Maybe in some kind of in-betweeny mind-bendy soul searchy sort of but not really after world where space magic originates but not dead.

Random17

i totally can, when ryan Mccaphrie gives Halo 4 a 9.8. reviewers are jokes and games are worse for catering to them.

Yeah, but I'd imagine that a game's Metacritic average affects its sales. Unfortunate reality, but 343i can't ignore that.

And in all honesty bringing back dead characters too frequently is bad writing anyway. 343i seems to be concentrating on newer characters or MIA characters like the Arbiter, so w/e.

Yeah, but I'd imagine that a game's Metacritic average affects its sales. Unfortunate reality, but 343i can't ignore that.

And in all honesty bringing back dead characters too frequently is bad writing anyway. 343i seems to be concentrating on newer characters or MIA characters like the Arbiter, so w/e.

343GS I know is "dead", but Cortana is still up in the air as far as I can figure. Where was she and Chief after Didect's fight? It could be some kind of Forerunner storage device for all we know. Watch, Halo 5 will be our Search for Spock.

EDIT: ah, crap. Sorry for the double post.

It does suck, but the game has changed. Someday consumers will stop being idiots and brand loyal drones

Never will that happen. In my goofy imagination it went something like this:

-Sony approaches Activision, "hey, we will give you X amount of dollars if you make some substantial extra shit for our platform only"

-Activision approaches Bungie, "hey Sony will give us a bunch of money if you make extra stuff for their platform, figure it out"

-Bungie accepts and uses said money to fund development of extra stuff that wouldn't have otherwise been made (hopefully that's how it went down, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt there)

-Activision approaches Microsoft, "Hey, Sony gave us money to fund extra stuff, can you match or beat that in a counter-offer?"

-Microsoft: "Nope, besides, we already pay you for early CoD map packs"

-Activision approaches Bungie, "Microsoft won't give us extra money for exclusive content, what can you make for Sony?"

-Bungie, "we can make a PVP map, a Strike mission, and a bunch of weapons/armours/ships, etc, but we'll only do it on the condition that we can release said content on all platforms eventually, considering our more unified development pipeline makes this fairly straightforward and our legacy fans using Xbox are going to be butthurt because this business practice sucks"

-Activision approaches Sony, "hey, Bungie says they'll do it on the condition they can release the stuff later on Xbox"

-Sony, "Fine, but not for a year. We also want "extra" content in every piece of DLC going forward".

-Activision, "cha-ching!"

Now, it could have been totally opposite to that haha.

From a business perspective, it "works", and this content might not have otherwise been made for either platform, so in a year's time, Xbox users do get the content as a "reward" for their patience. But from a gamer's perspective, this is just pure bullshit, in my opinion. Skins and emblems and other cosmetic stuff are one thing, but maps and missions is just so dirty.

Weapons and armours are whatever, since I doubt they will really be useful for very long, like most exclusive weapons in games.

Also, not pointing at you, but "Vote with your wallet" is the most ridiculous nonsolution ever in a situation like this. I still want to play the game and support Bungie, I just don't like that I'm going to get less content for the same price as someone else for reasons I have no control over at all, aside from the platform I have the ability to play on. Early map packs on one platform is one thing, but blocking content out completely just leaves a bad taste in my mouth (granted, for a year I think, but still, might as well not even bother since the expansion pack will be hitting around that time anyway, again likely with more content on PS). I shouldn't be "forced" into saying screw you to a game that I've been looking forward to for half a decade just on the off chance enough people do the same to somehow convince Activision not to take "free money" from Sony in the future. Why wouldn't they? They didn't have to do anything other than say, "you xbox plebs get none". I don't care about maybe they won't next time. I don't care about next time at all lol, I'm interested in Destiny now - especially considering they already announced they are doing it "next time and more".

Yes, Playstation is the "lead platform", sure, but only for shady, arbitrary reasons looking at it from the perspective of a dedicated individual who is actually going to be paying for and playing the game. There are plenty of ways to take free money from Sony and not poo on "the other half" of your player-base. Other than that fake-sclusive stuff, the only thing the PS4 version really has going for it over the other version is that it will look a lot prettier due to the better specs.

Whatever, I'm not actually super upset, I just think it's silliness doing it this way. I still love Bungie, and am extremely and embarrassingly stoked for Destiny, the vast majority of the content exists everywhere and the abundance of it will likely cast a huge shadow over what Xbox doesn't get, any way. I should just glad there's no story content locked out and hope that the eventual PC version gets it all from the get-go.

/whambulance wall

Is it also the only racing game you've played this decade?

No. I should have said "racing sim". I've not enjoyed any Forza game, save for 5 and Horizon. I do not like racing sims, generally (I'm a BK), so it was surprising to me that I enjoyed 5 at all.

Other "racing" games that I played and thought were "decent" (I enjoyed the crap out of them) in the past decade (2003ish-2014, I guess):

-Big Rigs Offroad Racing... kidding
-F-Zero GX
-Mario Kart DD
-NFSU
-NFSU2 (franchise went downhill from this title, imo)
-Burnout 3
-NFS MW (2005 one, last "great" NFS game, imo)
-Burnout Revenge
-Burnout Paradise
-Sonic All-stars
-Mario Kart 7
-NFS Hot Pursuit (2010 one)
-Forza Horizon
-Mario Kart 8
-Forza 5 (not better than any game on the above list, but still really fun)

My top 5 "racing games" of all time? (No order...)
-Burnout 3 (Xbox)
-Burnout Paradise (Xbox 360)
-NFSU2 (Xbox)
-CTR (PS1)
-MK Super Circuit (GBA)

JonCha

On a serious note, what are the feelings around Cortana? How could she feasibly return? It seems she will, given her last words were something like 'I'll return'.

I'm interested to see how they do it in a believable way.

Random17

On a serious note, what are the feelings around Cortana? How could she feasibly return? It seems she will, given her last words were something like 'I'll return'.

She uploaded herself to the remnants of the Domain or some Forerunner storage unit. That's my first guess; that or the Didact has her after the interaction.

Cortana's last words were "Welcome home, John"

I have no doubts we will see her again. But "her" could mean many things. I highly doubt we will see the same Cortana, unless she is severely fragmented in some fashion, which coincidentally would be how she'd have passed through rampancy, like Mack/Loki from Contact Harvest.

speculation, one of these may happen:

-OG Cortana rebuilt/reverse engineered by Halsey - weird relationship between her and Chief because of that, they probably wouldn't like each other at first. (Cortana didn't like Chief at first, either) [Recreation]

-Halsey builds Cortana 3.0 using her remaining 3 clonebrains [Triplication]

-OG Cortana "fragment" discovered doing weird stuff behind the scenes, possibly not good stuff. [Recuperation]

-Cortana "backup" given to Chief by Gravemind (yeah they'd "team up" at some point, similar to end of Halo 3). Chief won't fully trust her as she'll now have Forerunner, Covenant, Human AND Flood knowledge. Split happened on High Charity. She was either kept alive by Gravemind for this purpose, or she survived within him for a long time fighting off logic plague [Concentration]

-Cortana "imprint" within Chief. Chief goes semi-schizo and still hears her advice, plot twist: he ain't schizo, Cortana transcendent in slipspace and continues to communicate in a way he doesn't understand at first (like during Halo 3). [Abstraction]

-Organic Cortana in "human" form. First successful reverse composure. Young Halsey/Miranda Keyes-look (this would be the most left-field, imo)

Librarian could also have a backup or Cortana could have split herself in the Forerunner/Didact infiltration.

I'd like to see Halsey composed and become our new Chief suit AI mixed with all of Cortana's knowledge and inherit a little of her behaviour from that.

MB or 343GS would also make cool Cortana replacements.

Librarian could also have a backup or Cortana could have split herself in the Forerunner/Didact infiltration.

I'd like to see Halsey composed and become our new Chief suit AI mixed with all of Cortana's knowledge and inherit a little of her behaviour from that.

MB or 343GS would also make cool Cortana replacements.

YES.

343 for Chief, BB for Locke

Halsey idea is cool, too, but 343GS? His musings were the best part of the Library. It would be hilarious just having him insult you all the time when you in encounters and quip about how great he is. Same with BB.

What would MB even sound like? Who's voice would do him justice?

JonCha

Cortana's last words were "Welcome home, John"

I have no doubts we will see her again. But "her" could mean many things. I highly doubt we will see the same Cortana, unless she is severely fragmented in some fashion, which coincidentally would be how she'd have passed through rampancy, like Mack/Loki from Contact Harvest.

speculation, one of these may happen:

-OG Cortana rebuilt/reverse engineered by Halsey - weird relationship between her and Chief because of that, they probably wouldn't like each other at first. (Cortana didn't like Chief at first, either) [Recreation]

-Halsey builds Cortana 3.0 using her remaining 3 clonebrains [Triplication]

-OG Cortana "fragment" discovered doing weird stuff behind the scenes, possibly not good stuff. [Recuperation]

-Cortana "backup" given to Chief by Gravemind (yeah they'd "team up" at some point, similar to end of Halo 3). Chief won't fully trust her as she'll now have Forerunner, Covenant, Human AND Flood knowledge. Split happened on High Charity. She was either kept alive by Gravemind for this purpose, or she survived within him for a long time fighting off logic plague [Concentration]

-Cortana "imprint" within Chief. Chief goes semi-schizo and still hears her advice, plot twist: he ain't schizo, Cortana transcendent in slipspace and continues to communicate in a way he doesn't understand at first (like during Halo 3). [Abstraction]

-Organic Cortana in "human" form. First successful reverse composure. Young Halsey/Miranda Keyes-look (this would be the most left-field, imo)

Ah, I thought that was "I'll come home, John" but having relistened to it I can hear it now. What does she mean by that?

Could we really see a human Cortana? That just seems way left-field to me. Out of these options another version of Cortana seems most likely.

Spoilers: in Halo 5, Chief gets Cortana back by buying a Windows Phone. Save 10% off any Nokia Lumia device by buying the Halo 5 Lumia bundle at participating Microsoft Stores!

Ah, I thought that was "I'll come home, John" but having relistened to it I can hear it now. What does she mean by that?

Could we really see a human Cortana? That just seems way left-field to me. Out of these options another version of Cortana seems most likely.

Well, he was in cryo for 5ish years leading up to halo 4, and before that was fighting pretty much non-stop during the human-covenant war until the culmination at the end of halo 3 where he was forced into that cryo. Funny thing though is he's not even from Earth, so there's that. I suppose "home" could be like... humanity's home. Ending scene on the Infinity is the first time he's had to chill out and think about things in... a long freaking time - same with taking off his armour, last time he did that was on Cairo Station in Halo 2 when he first got the Mk VI.

Spoilers: in Halo 5, Chief gets Cortana back by buying a Windows Phone. Save 10% off any Nokia Lumia device by buying the Halo 5 Lumia bundle at participating Microsoft Stores!

I think Cortana's representation as an "iris" in WP is actually a really nice touch.

NegativeTestyAfricanelephant.gif

TangibleBrownBaldeagle.gif

Fuchsdh

I don't have any issue with Cortana returning, it's just a plot that has to be earned. People dislike characters coming back from the dead because usually they're so cheap (actually that mortal wound wasn't so mortal, surprise!) and because there's usually little in the way of consequences. 343 has the opportunity to deal with both.

Speaking of Nightfall, if you want some podcasting that's not Guardian Reclaimer whatsit, listen to 50 minutes of speculation on the H5 trailer, H2A terminal trailer, and some other stuff.
FUDcast-CoverMini.png

On Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgjYGGQBDc&feature=youtu.be
Audio: http://www.forwarduntodawn.com/fudcast14/

I don't have any issue with Cortana returning, it's just a plot that has to be earned. People dislike characters coming back from the dead because usually they're so cheap (actually that mortal wound wasn't so mortal, surprise!) and because there's usually little in the way of consequences. 343 has the opportunity to deal with both.

Speaking of Nightfall, if you want some podcasting that's not Guardian Reclaimer whatsit, listen to 50 minutes of speculation on the H5 trailer, H2A terminal trailer, and some other stuff.
FUDcast-CoverMini.png

On Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgjYGGQBDc&feature=youtu.be
Audio: http://www.forwarduntodawn.com/fudcast14/

Listening. This is so good. You guys are spot on every step.

Edit:

Do you think 343i are gonna do another "Library" for H2A like they did in CEA?

TheOddOne

One of the plot points of the fourth game was that AI’s deteriorate after 7 years and causes Rampancy–they think themselves to death. Lore dictated that Cortana’s death had to happen. For normal military based AI’s that isn’t much of a big deal, because they tend to be assigned to remedial tasks–replacing them should not a huge problem and emotional attachment is less of an issue. Cortana on the other hand has, during the course of her AI life, been exposed to more non-trivial tasks than her AI counterparts. Think about her intensive research into the Forerunners and her interactions with the Gravemind and Librarian. So, we can conclude that she is special, even within the universe.

Now, would they kill of a central, and beloved, character because of lore? Even if they did not kill her off in the last game, the rampancy issue would still linger. They killed two birds with one stone with the dramatic ending, rampancy issue is gone and Cortana gets to leave just as we remember her (instead of a computer gone haywire). But I don’t believe they are going that route, because during the course of the game they are trying to find a loophole for rampancy. They tried basically everything, but understand, stubbornly, that Cortana in her current form can’t continue to exist. Now, the current form aspect seems like a plausible loophole to use, because it eliminates the rampancy threat and she can go on existing in the universe. The question really isn’t whether she is dead or not, but rather when, how, and in what form are they going to bring her back.

Then there are unexplained moments where Cortana disappears and reappears in Halo 4, but we barely get any information on what happened or what was discussed.

MrGreencastle forced this out of me.

One of the plot points of the fourth game was that AI’s deteriorate after 7 years and causes Rampancy–they think themselves to death. Lore dictated that Cortana’s death had to happen. For normal military based AI’s that isn’t much of a big deal, because they tend to be assigned to remedial tasks–replacing them should not a huge problem and emotional attachment is less of an issue. Cortana on the other hand has, during the course of her AI life, been exposed to more non-trivial tasks than her AI counterparts. Think about her intensive research into the Forerunners and her interactions with the Gravemind and Librarian. So, we can conclude that she is special, even within the universe.

Now, would they kill of a central, and beloved, character because of lore? Even if they did not kill her off in the last game, the rampancy issue would still linger. They killed two birds with one stone with the dramatic ending, rampancy issue is gone and Cortana gets to leave just as we remember her (instead of a computer gone haywire). But I don’t believe they are going that route, because during the course of the game they are trying to find a loophole for rampancy. They tried basically everything, but understand, stubbornly, that Cortana in her current form can’t continue to exist. Now, the current form aspect seems like a plausible loophole to use, because it eliminates the rampancy threat and she can go on existing in the universe. The question really isn’t whether she is dead or not, but rather when, how, and in what form are they going to bring her back.

Then there are unexplained moments where Cortana disappears and reappears in Halo 4, but we barely get any information on what happened or what was discussed.

MrGreencastle forced this out of me.

I swear if 343i made her an angel like the composed human in spartan ops .....

I found wierd those dust traces in that forerunner structure level.

Top Bottom