• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

I'm happy over no used games restriction and no more online every 24 hours restriction, but if that means we lost Family Sharing and the ability to trade in and sell Digital Games, I'm gonna be a little angry. At the very least Microsoft should allow us to still gift games to our friends. :|

Seriously I hope we still get Family Sharing and trading in Digital Copies, they were the only 2 decent features the Xbox One had. Best of both worlds Microsoft, come on.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.
let your anger flow through you

"Now, of course your physical games won’t show up that way. The games you bought digitally will. You’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you. Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won’t be able to deliver at launch."

- Marc Whitten, v.p. of Xbox Live

So I have to start carrying discs and game cases again? :/

Well at least there's some hope for Family Sharing... hopefully it happens.

Gosh we really did win some and lose some. Yes no more restrictions! Boo all the cool features were taken away... Not sure if it's worth it anymore. I mean it's awesome that there's no more BS Anti Consumer crap, and Microsoft listened to us gamers and this gen we won't be royally screwed by Microsoft or Publishers... but we lost two of the most useful features it offered... Worth it I guess... I'm so salty now. Today is the second time Xbox One news has managed to anger me. First time being no Avatars on Xbox One, second time being today.

wwm0nkey

Obviously we all have our own preferences. My first caveat is that I don't have a gaming PC, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon, so things coming to PC isn't really a factor for me.

I've seen nothing from EA or Respawn stating or hinting at Titanfall coming to PS4, just the internet making assumptions. Even if it does, it wouldn't come until at least Spring 2015. That's a long time for is my personal game of E3.

We know very little about Black Tusk, and that's why I put it last. According to what we've heard about the team and such, they plan on it being a major new franchise, and the fact that people like John Howard have worked on it gets me excited.

Like I said though, looking at the games on the platforms, I found myself personally interested in a number of X1 exclusives and didn't really feel that for the PS4. I've never really felt that in the past either. If people are going to call an Xbox a Halo box, then I'd call a Playstation a Naughty Dog box.

Fair enough XD

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Cortana was obviously the smart one.
Hopefully she never comes back, too bad Halo Gaiden is all about rescuing her in time for Halo 5.
-snip

Like I said though, looking at the games on the platforms, I found myself personally interested in a number of X1 exclusives and didn't really feel that for the PS4. I've never really felt that in the past either. If people are going to call an Xbox a Halo box, then I'd call a Playstation a Naughty Dog box.
I just see multiplatform games(that won't come to PC) having the edge on PS4 much like most multiplatform games had the edge on 360 this gen. Personally neither really have me sold as day 1 purchases but the PS4 still takes the lead in interest for me based on price and likely multi-platform edge.

wwm0nkey

Microsoft you just HAD to pull me back in

E: Can't believe there are people complaining about this

Both consoles are region free which means nothing but good things....also I can finally import all the games I want too! (still staring at my Everybody Party X360 game that has yet to be played)

I just see multiplatform games(that won't come to PC) having the edge on PS4 much like most multiplatform games had the edge on 360 this gen. Personally neither really have me sold as day 1 purchases but the PS4 still takes the lead in interest for me based on price and likely multi-platform edge.

Yeah might end up happening, that controller though yuck, truly terrible stick placement.

Regardless to DRM stuff though, I think price is the biggest factor that will probably give the PS4 an early market share lead and therefore might give them lead development on some third-party games (although it's also worth mentioning that since the PS4 and the Xbox One have the same processing architecture (x86), it might be easier to make games on the platforms (nearly) identical than before).

Madness

So much for all that bullshit about how we're not supporting devs, how it's better this way etc. In the end, everyone saw how draconian and anti-consumer it was and now both consoles are DRM free and not always online.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The future, put on hold.

Gosh we really did win some and lose some. Yes no more restrictions! Boo all the cool features were taken away... Not sure if it's worth it anymore. I mean it's awesome that there's no more BS Anti Consumer crap, and Microsoft listened to us gamers and this gen we won't be royally screwed by Microsoft or Publishers... but we lost two of the most useful features it offered... Worth it I guess... I'm so salty now. Today is the second time Xbox One news has managed to anger me. First time being no Avatars on Xbox One, second time being today.
Is this real life

Screenshot_2013-06-19-18-06-26_zpsd5e16dec.png

Pretty sure they already confirmed digital releases at every game's launch, unless that was part of what they changed today.

Tawpgun

Really hope they implement a game sharing system for digital downloads. This backpedal can be a double edge sword for me.

One one hand, you lose one of the things that made the One great. The game sharing.

On the other hand, most people were salty about their policies (I was too initially) because they wanted physical discs and no DRM. Microsoft's policies were built for an environment that wasn't ready for them yet. Basically went too far into the future and told everyone to adapt. But now that they took back all of this, it might mean more of my friends get XB1's.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
They can still make family sharing and stuff work.

Here's what I think MS should do.

When you put your disc in, a message pops up:

Do you want to register this game to your account?

Then it lists the features people get for registering the game, and also the cons (no trading in the game, etc)

People who choose to register the game can then get access to family sharing, no disc swapping, etc, etc.

People who choose not to can trade in the games.

I expect companies will do online passes for the Xbox One for the people who buy used copies, though (and I'm sure the PS4 will also have some sort of DRM for companies that want it).

Also, people will have the option to register their disc any time they want, as long as the disc has not been sued on another console (to prevent people from registering used games).

Then, slowly start transitioning people to digital-only.

Offer sales, price drops, and tons of stuff for digital games. Eventually, I can see the Xbox One going from discs to codes that you can order in stores.

Madness

They must've been getting hammered on the pre orders. Why reverse course so late? They gave Sony E3, all that bad press etc.

Everyone knew it would be unpopular and they stuck to their guns the whole time, so why change now?

Fuchsdh

Goes to show they pulled this shit a gen to early next gen will be DD for sure and this wouldn't have been a problem...6-8 years from now that most likely wont be a problem anymore.. goggle fiber save us...
but still good for gamers but still not biting for a year or two at least fuck Kinect and fuck $500 will get a new PC and Ps4 instead.

Well, no one told Microsoft they had to go full tilt. They could have easily implemented the sharing feature only for digital games, etc. I do agree that the Xbox One is a far more likely shade of the future than the PS4 though, people are going to have to accept that sooner or later.

Small update, but it seems the Halo TV series is being made in part by Ambin TV, and may see a TV network.

The Amblin TV structure by design is a guerrilla unit that generates impressive output for its size. In addition to traditional TV, the company is working with Xbox on an adaptation of “Halo” that may also have an iteration on premium cable.

“We have a frighteningly small staff,” Spielberg says. “Everybody who works for Amblin Television has to do five jobs.”

Via The Hollywood Reporter

It was MS's decision to pull family sharing. Given that they're allowing used games now, it'd probably be better to bring it back and bump down the number of people you can share a game with. Two or three people instead of ten. Maybe five. That's a good compromise because lending physical copies will only go so far.
The future, put on hold.
As long as I can't trade in my digital content for money so I can subsidize myself to buy new stuff, I'm glad "the future" is being put on hold.
Small update, but it seems the Halo TV series is being made in part by Ambin TV, and may see a TV network.

Via The Hollywood Reporter
Hm. A small staff? Anyway, most excellent. So hyped for this.

TCKaos

While I enjoyed some of the things that the Xbone DRM brought to the table, we simply aren't ready for them yet. There isn't enough inexpensive and wide spread internet access for them to function in such a way that they wouldn't impede more consumers than would have taken advantage of the technology.

While I understand the frustration fully, I'll miss the family plan and the ability to trade my games to others online.

I fully embrace an all-online future, but we need to have the internet everywhere first.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Screenshot_2013-06-19-18-06-26_zpsd5e16dec.png

Pretty sure they already confirmed digital releases at every game's launch, unless that was part of what they changed today.

No it looks like digital day one releases are still happening.

I was ready to just buy all of my games digitally given that there'd be no route to sell them, but with the recent news, I'm only going to do that for games I know I'll always be playing.

This is why everyone bitching that today's news is setting back an all-digital future should look at the facts. An all-digital future with Microsoft at the helm is not going to work.

The digital model gets cheaper when retail sales are very limited or nonexistent. Obviously this is not the situation with the 360 and therefore is a pointless comparison.

Madness

Fuck, James Gandolfini died. RIP. His portrayal as Tony Soprano was one of the best performances I've ever seen on television. Shocking.

Omni

No DRM is great and all... But if I had to be honest I'm a little disappointed that we still need the disc if we are in fact online. Been looking for that since day 1

Oh well I guess. Can't win on every front.

No DRM is great and all... But if I had to be honest I'm a little disappointed that we still need the disc if we are in fact online. Been looking for that since day 1

Oh well I guess. Can't win on every front.

I feel like we wont if we've installed the game? Have they confirmed this?

Really, feel like if we install a game we've bought we should be able to play from anywhere without the disc. Since its all digital and whatnot. Even if you have to redownload it at the other non-home location.

Well if you didn't want to deal with discs anymore you still can go that route. Both Microsoft and Sony (who is already doing this) will support day 1 digital. The good thing now is that gamers who want to go disc based can without feeling shafted.

TCKaos

Really, feel like if we install a game we've bought we should be able to play from anywhere without the disc. Since its all digital and whatnot. Even if you have to redownload it at the other non-home location.

Now they can't confirm if you still own the game or not, and so I doubt they'd allow you to.

That how it was going to be, but not anymore.

Digital will still work that way though, so just be a sane person and just purchase your games digitally.

The digital model gets cheaper when retail sales are very limited or nonexistent. Obviously this is not the situation with the 360 and therefore is a pointless comparison.

It would be great if the Xbox One will get "steam" sales after launch for titles with several months in the market.

neoism

Fuck, James Gandolfini died. RIP. His portrayal as Tony Soprano was one of the best performances I've ever seen on television. Shocking.

WHAT THE FUCK :*(
He just had a baby girl this past October :*****************************************(

neoism

its just like 360 you need the disc

The Xbox Live Marketplace, in the last year, has seen some amazing sales in digital content.

It is always Braid and some randoms arcade titles, Im talking some like Xbox games at 300 mps like they are doing recently but it is cheaper because of the Next gen console.

its just like 360 you need the disc

I hope they keep the first download license is shared with all the accounts in the console

They can still make family sharing and stuff work.

Here's what I think MS should do.

When you put your disc in, a message pops up:

Do you want to register this game to your account?

Then it lists the features people get for registering the game, and also the cons (no trading in the game, etc)

People who choose to register the game can then get access to family sharing, no disc swapping, etc, etc.

People who choose not to can trade in the games.

I expect companies will do online passes for the Xbox One for the people who buy used copies, though (and I'm sure the PS4 will also have some sort of DRM for companies that want it).

Also, people will have the option to register their disc any time they want, as long as the disc has not been sued on another console (to prevent people from registering used games).

Then, slowly start transitioning people to digital-only.

Offer sales, price drops, and tons of stuff for digital games. Eventually, I can see the Xbox One going from discs to codes that you can order in stores.

This!

Seeing as i dont really buy a lot of used games or trade in my games i never really cared about the DRM or the always online deal (cause im almost always online) but im glad that if the internet is not seen within 24 hours my xbox wont turn into a useless pile of junk.

But im really sad and disappointed that they have to take out family sharing, it really sounded like a promising and money saving idea. If Xbone can have family sharing in and permanently integrated somehow the decision for a console would be so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom