• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

To the first : NO.

Second: God I hope so. At least for multiplayer the game has to run that smooth.

Campaign they could easily amp up the graphics in cutscenes.

Edit: you think 60fps is done because attracting more CoD players? What is this shit. Shooter, Fighter and Race games should be 60 fps at all costs.

No. I said that it wouldn't surprise me if they were to campaign it as much as possible to bring over more players from Call of Duty (that seems to be 343i's aspiration - grabbing as many Call of Duty players as possible). Didn't exactly word it properly (my bad), but also not really relevent anyway. I'll edit it in a sec haha

Agreed about racing games, but unless it's twitch shooter I don't see the problem with locked 30 (even with a bit of motion blur). Obviously just my opinion.

IHaveIce

Banned
No. I said that it wouldn't surprise me if they were to campaign it as much as possible to bring over more players from Call of Duty (that seems to be 343i's aspiration - grabbing as many Call of Duty players as possible). Didn't exactly word it properly (my bad), but also not really relevent anyway. I'll edit it in a sec haha

Okok it was just a big shock for me.

You said another detail that I think is interesting. How far are they with developing that they can say it will be 60FPS, Drive Club is a recent example how late they try to set the fps.

Doesn't 343 already need to know almost all aspects of explosions, weapons, vehicles, playercounts etc to know the fps? I'm not an expert but this statement seems kind of bold a year of without any footage.

Or are we all wrong and "2014" doesn't mean late in the year? And it releases earlier and they have already done a lot? hmm

m23

I was thinking about this earlier today, and is anyone else kinda worried about 60fps Halo 5 in regards to visuals?

I think the game will be fine visually. They have some great people on the team, Halo 4 visually blew me away that is was running on the 360.

I'm more worried about the direction of the gameplay. If 343 listens to the community and the criticisms they've been receiving I think we'll be in for a treat. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing the end of ordnance drops, much like they didn't drop Armor Abilities.

Fuchsdh

You can have your 60fps as long as I get my bright colors. Pastels in Halo 4 were better than Reach but I want lickable saturated environments dammit!

Also, I would still like motion blur where appropriate...

Tawpgun

Those are primarily benefits for developers though. How does it benefit the consumer if they don't have to make art books or not have middle men etc.

I'm thinking from the mindset of a gamer/consumer. I honestly don't believe they'd ever pass the savings down to the gamer. I mean if you take all that you said into account, digital games/downloads should be like $30 or less than consoles.

On the XBone (not sure about PS4) you have to install your DISC games on your HDD anyway. At that point you will never use that disc again... UNLESS you want to give your disc/license to someone else. But it can only be one person ever. As per Xbox policy. So why the fuck would you buy a disc?

With digital download you just get the game at midnight or whatever hopefully, install it, and you can play. Want to lend it to a friend so he can try it out? Add him to your family plan. He can now play whatever games you have.

Oh, and sign me up for team 60fps > pretty graphics

Omni

Okok it was just a big shock for me.

You said another detail that I think is interesting. How far are they with developing that they can say it will be 60FPS, Drive Club is a recent example how late they try to set the fps.

Doesn't 343 already need to know almost all aspects of explosions, weapons, vehicles, playercounts etc to know the fps? I'm not an expert but this statement seems kind of bold a year of without any footage.

Or are we all wrong and "2014" doesn't mean late in the year? And it releases earlier and they have already done a lot? hmm
Yeah, that's a good point. I would expect final quarter 2014 though. Not that it's much to go by, but no other mainline Halo game has been released earlier (maybe Wars? Can't remember). Plus I imagine that they'll want to go head to head with Destiny and CoD.

I think the game will be fine visually. They have some great people on the team, Halo 4 visually blew me away that is was running on the 360.

I'm more worried about the direction of the gameplay. If 343 listens to the community and the criticisms they've been receiving I think we'll be in for a treat. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing the end of ordnance drops, much like they didn't drop Armor Abilities.
That's true. Hopefully they give us options like they've slowly been rolling out with Halo 4. I couldn't care less about ordnance drops if we're given proper 'competitive' ranked playlists without.

Is Spartan Assault's release date still just 'July'?
I'm 99% sure, yeah. Surprisingly I'm actually excited for it.

I just cancelled my Xbox One pre-order and switched to PS4
Made the snap judgement of getting an X1 next year instead
. Even made a PSN or whatever they are called. I have a couple of hundred dollars spare now, but not sure what games to preorder. What are you people getting at launch?

I just cancelled my Xbox One pre-order and switched to PS4
Made the snap judgement of getting an X1 next year instead
. Even made a PSN or whatever they are called. I have a couple of hundred dollars spare now, but not sure what games to preorder. What are you people getting at launch?
Drive Club, free with PS Plus. I'm on a 1-month trial now that SomeOneInAHat gave me, and I got 20 free games this week for PS3, PSP, and VITA. This service is ridiculous.

Kind of feel like canceling my PS4 pre-order and using the money I was going to use to buy a PS4 to just go all out with the Xbox Launch and buy $399 worth of games and accessories. Not really sure anymore. I can afford and buy the Xbox One along with an extra controller, Forza Motorsport 5, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghost, Minecraft and Sunset Overdrive, but after that I won't be able to get Multiplatform games like FIFA, Watch Dogs, and stuff like that at all.

Not really sure If I should got for more Xbox One games or just get a PS4. I mean even with just a PS4+PS+ I get Drive Club, and get to play Planet Side 2... kind of enough to hold me off for a while.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Kind of feel like canceling my PS4 pre-order and using the money I was going to use to buy a PS4 to just go all out with the Xbox Launch and buy $399 worth of games and accessories. Not really sure anymore. I can afford and buy the Xbox One along with an extra controller, Forza Motorsport 5, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghost, Minecraft and Sunset Overdrive, but after that I won't be able to get Multiplatform games like FIFA, Watch Dogs, and stuff like that at all.

Not really sure If I should got for more Xbox One games or just get a PS4. I mean even with just a PS4+PS+ I get Drive Club, and get to play Planet Side 2... kind of enough to hold me off for a while.

I'd say go with the Xbox. You could always play Planetside 2 on your PC.

Gui_PT

Just buy more stuff for your avatar. I'm sure new items will come with the new console.

I was thinking about this earlier today, and is anyone else kinda worried about 60fps Halo 5 in regards to visuals?

Let me get this out first however. I think that 60fps is great. Everything looks so much better; the gameplay feels much snappier and responsive; and you can even pan your camera across the screen properly without seeing the sluggishness!

But obviously that comes at a rather big cost. You're effectively doubling the amount of work that your console is doing (or if you want, halving the bandwidth available each frame). And that in turn, means that they can't exactly push graphics as hard as they've been doing in the past. I really can't imagine the jump from Halo 4 to 5 to be as big as it has been in the past between sequels. I dunno. I really don't want a Call of Duty: Ghosts* on our hands, just so they can market the whole "60fps ohmergawd!!!!!!!!!!!" thing. Worst case scenario on our hands is that we get a higher res Halo 4 with a faster framerate... and to be awfully frank, that game looks like shit.

I always liked Bungie's mentality of really fleshing out the details. Whether it's the water, foliage, skyboxes or lighting, they always pushed the system to the limit. And it really shows again with Destiny (also confirmed to be locked 30fps).

I fear that with the next Halo, 343i are going to sacrifice the details just to push out 60fps - It's not like the Xbox One is a powerhouse. And that might be good news to some of you guys, but it's really disappointing for me as someone who loves the details the artists put into maps. I love interactive water. I love duel buffer HDR lighting. I love physics and the fact that a lot of things in Halo aren't static like they are in CoD. I like big open environments and not being confined to small corridors just so they can maintain a 60fps framerate. I love backgrounds that aren't static .jpgs.

It's early days, but I really do hope that they don't disappoint.

and by that I mean look at each CoD game and notice how little they change visually because they're forced to keep that high framerate. Ghosts looks like a current gen title.

Why use COD for an example? Look at BF4: 1080p at 60 FPS and it's absolutely gorgeous. Also looks that good an a much larger scale than we've seen in Halo.

Omni

Why use COD for an example? Look at BF4, 1080p at 60 FPS and it's absolutely gorgeous. Also looks that good an a much larger scale than we've seen in Halo.

BF4 is confirmed 60fps on next gen consoles? I didn't know that. I just used the only 60fps shooter that I could think of that was confirmed for next gen.

Risen

Let me get this out first however. I think that 60fps is great. Everything looks so much better; the gameplay feels much snappier and responsive; and you can even pan your camera across the screen properly without seeing the sluggishness!

But obviously that comes at a rather big cost. You're effectively doubling the amount of work that your console is doing (or if you want, halving the bandwidth available each frame). And that in turn, means that they can't exactly push graphics as hard as they've been doing in the past. I really can't imagine the jump from Halo 4 to 5 to be as big as it has been in the past between sequels. I dunno. I really don't want a Call of Duty: Ghosts* on our hands, just so they can market the whole "60fps ohmergawd!!!!!!!!!!!" thing. Worst case scenario on our hands is that we get a higher res Halo 4 with a faster framerate... and to be awfully frank, that game looks like shit.

I always liked Bungie's mentality of really fleshing out the details. Whether it's the water, foliage, skyboxes or lighting, they always pushed the system to the limit. And it really shows again with Destiny (also confirmed to be locked 30fps).

I fear that with the next Halo, 343i are going to sacrifice the details just to push out 60fps - It's not like the Xbox One is a powerhouse. And that might be good news to some of you guys, but it's really disappointing for me as someone who loves the details the artists put into maps. I love interactive water. I love duel buffer HDR lighting. I love physics and the fact that a lot of things in Halo aren't static like they are in CoD. I like big open environments and not being confined to small corridors just so they can maintain a 60fps framerate. I love backgrounds that aren't static .jpgs.

It's early days, but I really do hope that they don't disappoint.

and by that I mean look at each CoD game and notice how little they change visually because they're forced to keep that high framerate. Ghosts looks like a current gen title.

I think it's probably pretty easy to promise the 60fps because of the significant improvement in hardware... I think you're right in general terms as far as finding a balance between visuals and frame rate, but I don't see that being much of an issue on next gen hardware, particularly at the 60fps threshold. Maybe if you were talking 120 fps like you get out of some max spec gaming rigs, but just take a look at the TitanFall video running in native 1080p and 60fps... there's a shit ton going on there, and it looks pretty nice for a console release.

Who here is playing last of us? I am waiting for kyle to send it to me when he beats it. i think my PSN id is Dr Booties, I haven't played ps3 since before reach came out though.

I can safely say that it is an absolutely amazing game. One of the best games of this console generation for sure. I really enjoyed Uncharted 2 but disliked Uncharted 3. So it was nice to see Naughty Dog return to form, and then some. I actually enjoy it more than Uncharted 2 simply because the gameplay is phenomenal. Some of the most intense encounters in gaming.

m23

Rumor: Microsoft to announce the elimination of DRM/online requirements today

Noooooo way!

edit: maybe not, I've never heard of the source in that thread

Lol....not going to happen. That would require a complete overhaul of their system.

Edit:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64845481&postcount=114
jthmq3c2cjkni.JPG

Hmm....this guys was right on almost all things during e3. Something is happening today I guess.

Wow! If this happens I'd be shocked. Legitimately shocked.

I'm going to be eating so much crow, I thought the protest and anger of gamers won't change anything! and it might have! No way. No way! :O

It doesn't make sense to me! Why would Microsoft do this? They're already "winning" per-say. They sold all the Xbox One they can at launch, removing the DRM and Always Online won't sell anymore when they already sold out.

This is so strange, and awesome!

But now Microsoft is letting people steal their games

And MS were literally doing the opposite of winning. They were losing in every possible way.

But now Microsoft is letting people steal their games

And MS were literally doing the opposite of winning. They were losing in every possible way.

They "won" in their terms. They sold out of Xbox One Pre-Orders. All the sales for the Xbox One were finished for launch, after launch, they have (god I hate this meme) Titian Fall and other exclusives to carry their sales for a while. They were doing good sales wise, if they lose to Sony in sales for the first few years, it wasn't because Sony had higher demand (although they do), it's because demand for the Xbox One was too high for Microsoft to supply.

Booshka

If this all goes through I am going to love the people that meltdown because they are upset that MS didn't stick with their DRM bullshit, and now Sony won't have this generation handed to them.

Fracas

#fuckonami
They "won" in their terms. They sold out of Xbox One Pre-Orders. All the sales for the Xbox One were finished for launch, after launch, they have (god I hate this meme) Titian Fall and other exclusives to carry their sales for a while. They were doing good sales wise, if they lose to Sony in sales for the first few years, it wasn't because Sony had higher demand (although they do), it's because demand for the Xbox One was too high for Microsoft to supply.

Gamestop stores sold out of preorders. MS is reportedly having serious manufacturing issues, hence the restricted allotments.

I still don't know if I want a One with that price, but hats off to Microsoft if they 180 on this. Gimme a price drop/solid bundle and maybe I'm in. I still can't believe this might be happening. A real victory for consumers' rights.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If this all goes through I am going to love the people that meltdown because they are upset that MS didn't stick with their DRM bullshit, and now Sony won't have this generation handed to them.
Well there's still a $100 price gap for inferior hardware.

Surely there won't be any of those people. It's only a good thing if the rumours are true.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

You say that like it makes it alright or something.

Gaming Side is getting a little crazy with this rumor now.

Seeing users call others "assholes" for defending the policies that may or may not change. Seeing users mocking Microsoft for something that may or may not happen. Seeing users believe something that from the get go was an anonymous source. \

Kind of strange really. Everyone should focus on the "rumor" part of the thread, be optimistic but don't believe everything. I want Microsoft to go back on there word, but I'm not going to believe it till they say it themselves, not setting myself up for disappointment.

wwm0nkey

If its true I will be very happy, I mean I am still not going to get one for awhile but if the rumor is true it means I will at least get one at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom