• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

hgs

pkDoxMZoVoo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np0solnL1XY

Yeah, this thread is really inactive now. :/

HaloGAF/Halo OT 17 should return to Gaming Community, and have just one OT, not two. Splitting the HaloGAF community into two just ruined it to be honest.

I'll ask here since I don't want to make a thread.

I'm looking to do a tiny project with LED's I need to light between 4 and 6 about 10cm away from a circuit board. Its been years since I did anything like this in school and I've forgotten everything.

What is the power requirements and what is the easiest way to do it. I assume I should be able to buy a cheap circuit board prebuilt with a on/off switch which would do me fine.

Anyone got any ideas.

kylej

Banned
sequence 7 AC3 complete

yawn

how did this turn from a game where youre using the past to learn more about the future and trying to solve cryptic riddles into a wikipedia article about the revolutionary war.

I was planning on building an HTPC running XBMC with the hopes of canceling my cable TV - getting OTA local HD channels and streaming cable content that's available from their sites using an aggregate add-on, but my test setup wasn't really working that great.

How do you use XBMC reliably for TV? Are you using it in place of or in conjunction with a cable box?

I don't watch a lot of TV. In Australia free to air TV is pretty horrible. I do have a PVR set-up in XBMC when I want to watch something, though.

Sai-kun

Banned
sequence 7 AC3 complete

yawn

how did this turn from a game where youre using the past to learn more about the future and trying to solve cryptic riddles into a wikipedia article about the revolutionary war.

isn't it just the worst

wolfpack mode in mp was the only fun i had in the game

Madness

sequence 7 AC3 complete

yawn

Lol, I bought it but haven't started yet. Looks like I'm for some boring times.

sequence 7 AC3 complete

yawn

It picked up for me at the end of 8 or the beginning of 9, but yeah the riddles are nonexistent :(

Omni

sequence 7 AC3 complete

yawn

Yah. Sad that they came from a great game like ACII to make a disaster like ACIII.

DeadNames

Banned
ACII is the best. Brotherhood is my second favorite. ACR was decent. ACIII was a little boring but I love how fluid the combat is.

I have it but I keep having trouble joining most servers so I don't play it much.

Do you use DayZ commander? Also, where do you live?

So Sony fans taking to Twitter to protest and show their dislike of Used Games on PS4 got me thinking:

Why don't Halo fans do that for Halo? Why didn't we do it for Halo 4?

"@343, hey I don't like the direction Halo is taking! Please don't continue going in that direction! #Halo4HaloFans (get it, Halo for Halo fans ;D)"

"@343, hey I don't like the direction Halo is taking! Please don't continue going in that direction! #Halo5____"

sequence 7 AC3 complete

yawn

Haha, I remember when you were talking about it a week or so ago and was wondering if you were going to end up disappointed like me. They abandoned everything that made the series cool. I also really liked the cryptic riddles, it's a shame that they were thrown out. My main problem with the series is that I dislike and don't care about what happens to any of the characters in the present.

ACII is best by far.

Madness

So Sony fans taking to Twitter to protest and show their dislike of Used Games on PS4 got me thinking:

Why don't Halo fans do that for Halo? Why didn't we do it for Halo 4?

"@343, hey I don't like the direction Halo is taking! Please don't continue going in that direction! #Halo4HaloFans (get it, Halo for Halo fans ;D)"

"@343, hey I don't like the direction Halo is taking! Please don't continue going in that direction! #Halo5____"

We have the franchise development director as a part of this community and he reads what we post or responds. Why spam twitter? That will achieve nothing and will go unnoticed. They know how the fans feel, which is why we've got the changes we do so far.

No one can deny 343 hasn't been listening. We've got slayer pro in infinity slayer now. We're getting the weapon tuning update in like a week. At this point, Halo 4 is Halo 4. You'll either play it, or you won't. Let's look towards Halo 5, but I have a hunch, they'll use a lot of our feedback and see what worked and didn't work in Halo 4.

DeadNames

Banned
rip tawpgun :'(

@Above...

Hopefully 343 takes note of Halo 4's SEVERE population drop and changes their "view" of the game. I don't think anyone outside of the people who played Halo once wanted loadouts or whatever. PO is an interesting concept, and COULD work, if it were just crap like primaries/grenades. No power weapons or AAs.

Booties

Banned
I'll ask here since I don't want to make a thread.

I'm looking to do a tiny project with LED's I need to light between 4 and 6 about 10cm away from a circuit board. Its been years since I did anything like this in school and I've forgotten everything.

What is the power requirements and what is the easiest way to do it. I assume I should be able to buy a cheap circuit board prebuilt with a on/off switch which would do me fine.

Anyone got any ideas.

5 volts aught to do it. Do you know how to use arduino? It's really easy. All I do is use a generic LED hooked up to a 5V power supply with about 510 ohms resistance.

What are you using? Here's a video of some flashing lights I made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6y7xG5ex2Y

Dude, we have the franchise development director as a part of this community and he reads what we post or responds. Why spam twitter that will achieve nothing or go unnoticed? They know how the fans feel, which is why we've got the changes we do so far.

No one can deny 343 hasn't been listening. We've got slayer pro in infinity slayer now. We're getting the weapon tuning update in like a week. At this point, Halo 4 is Halo 4. You'll either play it, or you won't. Let's look towards Halo 5, but I have a hunch, they'll use a lot of our feedback to improve matchmaking for Halo 5.

I have a hunch Halo 4 might purposefully be a big testing ground for Halo 5 with insane dedicated servers and new console/XBL systems. I have said it before but 343i really got Halo 4 with poor timing in terms of the industry, next gen and handover from Bungie. Something like deliver now but build for the next 10 years e.g.

1. Build the studio while getting feet wet with Reach, books, story, merchandise, marketing, technology etc.

2. Retool the engine, art, studio talent for next gen.

3. Develop digital assets for all media; phones, console, FuD, TV series, web, CGI, ultra 4K (*maybe). Make industry moves to align such goals.

4. Iterate with development partners and processes so you can win/win on output, quality, collaboration in-house vs outsource etc.

5. Answer questions like how much change will Halo gamers take? How does that affect Halo 5? How can we innovate e.g. SPOPS, honestly again players underestimate the resources and forward thinking involved with that sort of new developer process.

6. Keep some elements back to create the killer-must-have-title and multiplayer base for next gen Halo.

7. Make a sales success out of Halo 4, must launch prior to BLOPSII, keep customers happy but don't lock them into keeping their 360 console and multiplayer over getting the next gen Halo & console & XBL service.

When you look at things in this light combined with all the pressures of having to update the Halo engine for Halo 4 and the next foreseeable few years I think you start to understand why features went missing or had issues at launch. I have to say since the new year I'm pretty much happy with 3 things 343i do and unhappy with 1. I'll take a company/game batting 75% win for me personally, no worries there at all.

I look forward to Halo next gen as I really think Halo fans/haters are missing between the lines with what is coming with all those servers and services. E3 is the real showing and XMAS time is going to hurt the wallet this year...so much fun tech to buy.

I have a hunch Halo 4 might purposefully be a big testing ground for Halo 5 with insane dedicated servers and new console/XBL systems. I have said it before but 343i really got Halo 4 with poor timing in terms of the industry, next gen and handover from Bungie. Something like deliver now but build for the next 10 years e.g.

1. Build the studio while getting feet wet with Reach, books, story, merchandise, marketing, technology etc.

2. Retool the engine, art, studio talent for next gen.

3. Develop digital assets for all media; phones, console, FuD, TV series, web, CGI, ultra 4K (*maybe). Make industry moves to align such goals.

4. Iterate with development partners and processes so you can win/win on output, quality, collaboration in-house vs outsource etc.

5. Answer questions like how much change will Halo gamers take? How does that affect Halo 5? How can we innovate e.g. SPOPS, honestly again players underestimate the resources and forward thinking involved with that sort of new developer process.

6. Keep some elements back to create the killer-must-have-title and multiplayer base for next gen Halo.

7. Make a sales success out of Halo 4, must launch prior to BLOPSII, keep customers happy but don't lock them into keeping their 360 console and multiplayer over getting the next gen Halo & console & XBL service.

When you look at things in this light combined with all the pressures of having to update the Halo engine for Halo 4 and the next foreseeable few years I think you start to understand why features went missing or had issues at launch. I have to say since the new year I'm pretty much happy with 3 things 343i do and unhappy with 1. I'll take a company/game batting 75% win for me personally, no worries there at all.

I look forward to Halo next gen as I really think Halo fans/haters are missing between the lines with what is coming with all those servers and services. E3 is the real showing and XMAS time is going to hurt the wallet this year...so much fun tech to buy.

What?? With all that money and talent they scooped up a new engine should have been made at the very least.

Booshka

I don't play Halo for features and services. I play it for core game mechanics and a balanced well designed multiplayer. 343 blew it pretty hard and are slowly recovering with these updates and community input.

I am completely skeptical and pessimistic about Halo 5 and the Xbox One.

I'm optimistic. I think they'll implement a sweet ranking system, go back to small maps, get rid of most of the crap and get back to basics of core Halo. N I'll make a great playlist lineup straight from launch.

What?? With all that money and talent they scooped up a new engine should have been made at the very least.

A new engine is rarely built. They market as a new engine when in reality it's a redevelopment or updated version or mixed with plugins etc. Anyhow they have seriously redeveloped the Halo engine, assets, merchandise, universe-lore etc. I'm anticipating big things for the next full title as I see the studio really hitting their stride across the board then. Further it's not like developers and artists can hit the ground running and be AAA-grade out of the park on day one. It takes time to learn the intricacies of hardware, engine code, physics, mathematics, content processes, test processes etc etc.

I don't play Halo for features and services. I play it for core game mechanics and a balanced well designed multiplayer. 343 blew it pretty hard and are slowly recovering with these updates and community input.

I am completely skeptical and pessimistic about Halo 5 and the Xbox One.

Crazy talk mate, I can understand the frustration at not having arena style maps, gameplay, Forge issues, feature changes/lacking but overall Halo 4 has really shaped up the systems. Now think forward and realise what dedicated servers in the numbers and region distribution they're talking about. Halo 5 or the first next gen Halo is going to have a massive retention of players for multiplayer.

Think beyond game mechanics, what is the absolute number one issue with Halo online even since Halo 2 days? Latency and all the issues that come with it e.g. melee, host advantage, bullet refund, stickies as magnets, aim assist and all those lovely tricks developers have to do to appear like a working online game.

Mark my words and this post, if you've loved any Halo online previously the next gen Xbox One, servers and Halo next gen title(s) are going to be a stand out far and away best of the franchise for multiplayer.

It's all in the latency, it's affects everything from matchmaking to black screen to host migration to cheating to melee and the list goes on an on.

I'm optimistic. I think they'll implement a sweet ranking system, go back to small maps, get rid of most of the crap and get back to basics of core Halo. N I'll make a great playlist lineup straight from launch.

Yep they'll implement rank, social vs. ranked split and I'm speculating but all the bells and whistles e.g. streaming, tournaments, spectating, sharing, rendering etc.

I'm with you though I hope they really devote development/designers to each playlist niche. 4v4 arena is a must, it's the Halo sweet spot. BTB requires different maps/settings, hardcore different again etc.

Now that they're through the next gen curve, redeveloped a massive portion of the engine and all the studio talent/assets they can really get down to the content, this is the crucial portion of next gen Halo and the where/why that Halo 4 went awry at launch.

Booshka

Crazy talk mate, I can understand the frustration at not having arena style maps and gameplay but overall Halo 4 has really shaped up the systems. Now think forward and realise what dedicated servers in the numbers and region distribution they're talking about. Halo 5 or the first next gen Halo is going to have a massive retention of players for multiplayer.

Think beyond game mechanics, what is the absolute number one issue with Halo online even since Halo 2 days? Latency and all the issues that come with it e.g. melee, host advantage, bullet refund, stickies as magnets, aim assist and all those lovely tricks developers have to do to appear like a working online game.

Mark my words and this post, if you've loved any Halo online previously the next gen Xbox One, servers and Halo next gen title(s) are going to be a stand out far and away best of the franchise for multiplayer.

It's all in the latency, it's affects everything from matchmaking to black screen to host migration to cheating to melee and the list goes on an on.

Halo CE is my favorite Halo, so all of these dreams for awesome online gameplay are moot if the core game mechanics aren't there. I played Halo CE on shitty XBC with 100+ ping a ton and it was still more fun than any other Halo was even on LAN. Core game mechanics is the lifeblood of video games to me. Mediocre games with awesome netcode are still mediocre.

If everything pans out, then sure awesome, I might get it, but at this point I highly doubt it.

Halo CE is my favorite Halo, so all of these dreams for awesome online gameplay are moot if the core game mechanics aren't there. I played Halo CE on shitty XBC with 100+ ping a ton and it was still more fun than any other Halo was even on LAN. Core game mechanics is the lifeblood of video games to me. Mediocre games with awesome netcode are still mediocre.

If everything pans out, then sure awesome, I might get it, but at this point I highly doubt it.

Sure thing, if you don't like the game then everything else is a moot point.

I'd like to see each previous games mechanics configured into a specific playlist/variant:

CE = 1v1, doubles, 4v4 slayer variant
2 = 4v4 slayer/objective, clans for ranked
3 = 4v4 slayer variant, BTB, infection, customs, Grifball, MLG, ranked CTF/assault
ODST = firefight & SPOPS mash up
Reach = BTB and new massive scale, invasion, FFA
4 = Infinity, legendary, new modes and post launch tweaks, team regicide

You get the idea, they can cater to a huge audience now and work the playlists for fans of all the different games while using a few playlists for their new types.

Omni

Hmm. The new Xbox sounds pretty damn underwhelming... I'm seriously considering buying a PC instead. I figure I'll have about $800 or so dollars so maybe I could build a semi decent one to begin with. Not sure where to start in that department however.

Halo is probably the only reason why I'd consider buying the nextbox. This year's E3 will be the deciding factor, I imagine.

wwm0nkey

Hmm. The new Xbox sounds pretty damn underwhelming... I'm seriously considering buying a PC instead. I figure I'll have about $800 or so dollars so maybe I could build a semi decent one to begin with. Not sure where to start in that department however.

Halo is probably the only reason why I'd consider buying the nextbox. This year's E3 will be the deciding factor, I imagine.

Yeah MS better bring it at E3. Right now its looking like PS4 and a GPU upgrade for me.

I want to be optimistic, but I seem them trapped between a rock and a hard place.

Maybe they could do a pitch perfect Halo 2 Anniversary, and then take Halo way off the course it's on.
Because Halo 4 is baby steps away from Halo, but those baby steps just served to create a large stink emanating from Halo 4's nappy, so no one was happy.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo will probably never get a fullfledged new engine.

Either Bungie or 343 explaibed why they won't risk it, they are really scared messing up the old core gameplay (hehe halo 4)

Also hire juices, if he wants to make reach 2.0 fire him.

DeadNames

Banned

Either Bungie or 343 explaibed why they won't risk it, they are really scared messing up the old core gameplay (hehe halo 4)

Reach 2.0 = Halo 4.

Juices, make Halo 2 2

I think most of the studios needs like 4 or 5 years to fully develop a new engine, dunno if 343i is capable of making one or MS would hire a different studio to make it.

wait, Reach's engine wasnt Bungie's property?

senador

Banned

It's because making a absolute new engine makes no sense any way you look at it, unless the engine is in a terrible state codewise that can't really move forward, and even then it can be more feasible to fix it then replace it. It doesn't make sense in terms of money, time, energy, etc, and there's no benefit. Usually it's harmful.

Saying there is a new engine sounds great on message boards, but that's not the reality of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom