• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylej

Banned
kickaz on mfc just made a couple grand and I don't think she even spoke or showed her cans at all

someone turn me into a pretty girl tia

Akai__

My name in German class in HS was "Detlev", and I remember asking the teacher on the first day, "Isn't Detlev a Russian name?" and she shrugged her shoulders and went over to name the next kid.

High school.

One of the worst "german" names, you can possibly have. Luckily, those names are not used that much anymore. It was a cool thing in the 60's/70's. If a kid would be named like that now, people would only laugh at them.

I got renamed in english class aswell. My name was Mike. Nothing special, I guess.

Talents

Banned
Wtf you got re-named in language classes?

We had to take french for a year or 2. Only thing I remember from it is one Romanian kid setting a middle eastern girls head on fire with a lighter and some deodorant. I'll never forget that awful smell after pretty much all her hair and head scarf were burnt

A guy in my year on the last day of secondary school set the front of his hair on fire, ended up losing his fringe so he looked like someone with a receding hair line at 16.

Did the guy that set the girls hair on fire get in trouble with the police?

so in Halo 4 I JiP a match where there is no way you cant turn the battle at your favor then the whole team disbanded, ok lets wait the system gatter another group but no, it decided to put me in another match already over four times in a row....just wow.

EDIT: Make it seven....sigh....

Because your name could be different in other language to be more suitable for the region they are come from.

What? My name is Craig. You start calling me Detlev or some shit and I'm going to start ignoring your dumb ass.

I don't have to have a suitable name for the region I just need to know how to say. "Hi" "I need to shit" "Point at the best food" and the currency.

A guy in my year on the last day of secondary school set the front of his hair on fire, ended up losing his fringe so he looked like someone with a receding hair line at 16.

Did the guy that set the girls hair on fire get in trouble with the police?

We did this Taste & Smell test of chemicals in Chemistry. The dumb fat female science teacher had mislabeled my groups Chemicals. So me and a buddy went ahead and tasted some clear liquid chemicals intended for smelling. Which promptly burnt our taste buds off our tongues and made my mouth feel like it was on fire. We got sent to the Science Technicians room who gave us some lemon concentrate and £5 each and told us to get as much sugary stuff we could to "coat our tongues".

I feel like we should of sued the school for that.

Another time a guy started to glug a bottle of some hydrochloric acid and had to get his stomach pumped.

heckfu

Banned
What? My name is Craig. You start calling me Detlev or some shit and I'm going to start ignoring your dumb ass.

I don't have to have a suitable name for the region I just need to know how to say. "Hi" "I need to shit" "Point at the best food" and the currency.

lol you sound very American, Detlev! Great job fitting in!

Fotos

Wtf you got re-named in language classes?

We had to take french for a year or 2. Only thing I remember from it is one Romanian kid setting a middle eastern girls head on fire with a lighter and some deodorant. I'll never forget that awful smell after pretty much all her hair and head scarf were burnt

Damn. What happened to him?

Talents

Banned
We did this Taste & Smell test of chemicals in Chemistry. The dumb fat female science teacher had mislabeled my groups Chemicals. So me and a buddy went ahead and tasted some clear liquid chemicals intended for smelling. Which promptly burnt our taste buds off our tongues and made my mouth feel like it was on fire. We got sent to the Science Technicians room who gave us some lemon concentrate and £5 each and told us to get as much sugary stuff we could to "coat our tongues".

I feel like we should of sued the school for that.

Another time a guy started to glug a bottle of some hydrochloric acid and had to get his stomach pumped.

Painful.

Something else happened a few weeks ago, some people in my Sixth Form spilt a chemical of some kind over their arms and like 4 fire crews were called, apparently they refused to go into the classroom before they got their safety masks or whatever on.

http://www.maldonandburnhamstandard...e_crews_attend_school_chemical_spill/?ref=rss

In my opinion they over reacted a lot by sending that many fire crews for just spilling a chemical but I don't know shit about chemicals so I can't really judge.

Ramirez

Ply, is that your GF in your avatar? Shes cute.

cmonson_zpsaf85279c.gif

You done goofed, from here on you will be referred to as Detlev

kylej

Banned
if i was told I could have another life after this one, but I'd have to go through the same exact high school in the same exact way I went through it this time around, I would probably pass. high school sucked.

heckfu

Banned
if i was told I could have another life after this one, but I'd have to go through the same exact high school in the same exact way I went through it this time around, I would probably pass. high school sucked.

I hate to hear that. High school was awesome for me...but middle school, on the other hand...woof.

Ramirez

High school was awesome, only thing I regret is all of the pussy I missed out on by being a scared little bitch.

Well, freshmen year sucked, but after that, it was all good.

I find it ironic coming from your culture that actually do this.

nevermind then.

heckfu

Banned
I guess with Claude & Ghal's retirement, I am one of the oldest here, how depressing. Don't worry, one day you guys will look up and realize you've been on GAF for 10+ years, and ask yourself, "why?".

I think we're about a year apart. Squidhands, though, jesus.

Ghazi

I guess with Claude & Ghal's retirement, I am one of the oldest here, how depressing. Don't worry, one day you guys will look up and realize you've been on GAF for 10+ years, and ask yourself, "why?".
How about sticking to high school and college tips for the next 10+ years, god knows I'll need them.

kylej

Banned
college tip #1: stay in-state and take the cheapest route you can take to get your degree. unless you go to harvard or MIT, nobody gives a shit what school you got your degree from, and if you can get into those school you can probably get a scholarship. all employers care about is that you put the work in and you have experience (internships, portfolio, etc). don't be one of those dopes who goes to an expensive out of state college and is spending $50k a year to take gen-eds like college algebra and freshman writing.

especially given the state of the housing market and the purchasing power you have, I'd rather be spending $1k a month on a mortgage and $400 on loans, than $1400 on student loans and living with my mom.

heckfu

Banned
college tip #1: stay in-state and take the cheapest route you can take to get your degree. unless you go to harvard or MIT, nobody gives a shit what school you got your degree from, and if you can get into those school you can probably get a scholarship. all employers care about is that you put the work in and you have experience (internships, portfolio, etc). don't be one of those dopes who goes to an expensive out of state college and is spending $50k a year to take gen-eds like college algebra and freshman writing.

especially given the state of the housing market and the purchasing power you have, I'd rather be spending $1k a month on a mortgage and $400 on loans, than $1400 on student loans and living with my mom.

Tip number 2: don't do something you love, do something that is going to be secure for your lifetime. If I did something I loved I would be a music teacher or something like that but I figured that being good at pharmacology would pay off in dividends. Now my student loan payments are through the roof, but I knew what I was getting in to.

Havok

This is good advice. There's a stigma surrounding it, but I wish I had gone to community college for the first two years of my bachelor's instead of wasting a bunch of money taking joke prerequisites at the state school.

And once you know what you want to do with your life, find some way to get experience doing it before you get shoved out the door into the real world. I've got a neurobiology degree and it took me a full year after graduating to find something in that field, and even then I lucked into the position I have now. I wish I had fought to get into some of the labs in the Molecular Biosciences department at my school, but I stupidly never invested myself enough to bother. Internships, even unpaid, will pay off later when you can rattle off a bunch of experience that's specific to what you want to do.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm in college now, so I don't know how solid this advice is, but I'll say this. Whether in high school or college, put yourself out there and network like mad. No one wants to hire/work with a shut in. Meet people. Connect with them. I regret not doing that in HS, but I'm trying to correct it now that I'm in college. Knowing people is ridiculously important.

Ghazi

I plan on getting a scholarship, but of course I'm not dumb enough to think it'll happen for sure so I have some ideas of where I want to go and they're all in-state. I'm already taking a couple of college courses gratis since I'm going to a private school which is willing to cover some class fees so I'm getting a little head start in some of my classes too (Plus, I'm taking a bunch of AP courses). 5 million+ dollars worth of scholarships were handed out to only my school's seniors this year so it's a fairly prestigious yet academically known school to get through. I honestly don't know how officially getting proof of my experience for my career would work since I want to get into programming. Someone I know who is in programming said that a lot of places like to check your github and see what you've been doing so I plan on working on a few projects over the summer and hopefully continue that into the next school year. I'm planning on taking full advantage of the college courses I'll be able to take when I get there though, I definitely don't want to end up like the people you mentioned. I won't really have to worry about housing and while I'm a little worried about all my living expenses I think that won't be too big of a problem. Education and my academics are a top priority for me and I hope to continue with this attitude outside of school! Thanks Kyle, I appreciate the advice. It means a lot to me to have someone to talk to these things about since my parents are too half assed to worry about me, though I can't blame them since they had a really shitty life and have been through a lot.

Tip number 2: don't do something you love, do something that is going to be secure for your lifetime. If I did something I loved I would be a music teacher or something like that but I figured that being good at pharmacology would pay off in dividends. Now my student loan payments are through the roof, but I knew what I was getting in to.

Really? Programming has something that's enamored me since my bk days of basic Visual Basic, it's something I'd enjoy and something I'd think is financially sound if I get a good job. Though I suppose could always go into medical since someone in my family has a PhD (which doesn't matter much though, according to them, in this day and age) in some field of it and I know a lot of people in the field since I'm at Vanderbilt every day and I've done a fair amount of volunteer work there and I know a lot of people.

edit: I'm not even sure if heckfu can see this post :/

heckfu

Banned
Yup, life is basically all about the people you know.

I don't know if that's all 100% true, but it definitely helps. I got my first job without knowing ANYONE there before I graduated, they went under, got my second job with only being unemployed 6 days due to connections. So literally 50% of the time it matters? MATHED.

Really? Programming has something that's enamored me since my bk days of basic Visual Basic, it's something I'd enjoy and something I'd think is financially sound if I get a good job. Though I suppose could always go into medical since someone in my family has a PhD (which doesn't matter much though, according to them, in this day and age) in some field of it and I know a lot of people in the field since I'm at Vanderbilt every day and I've done a fair amount of volunteer work there and I know a lot of people.

edit: I'm not even sure if heckfu can see this post :/

Lucky for you, that something you really like is a very good choice to study.

What Heckfu is saying is that don't study 17th Century European art in college just because you're really passionate about that, get a degree that will help launch a career.

heckfu

Banned

I mean, blah blah blah, set your dreams as high as the eagles fly.

But on the real, make a career plan that has reasonable expectations...like I'm a badass drummer irl, but only 1 in 10 million actually do something with that that makes a lot of money. Some say money can't buy happiness, and they're right. Find that balance of something you don't despise doing everyday but can also make enough money to where you don't bitch about a company potentially banning used games.

Ken

I mean, blah blah blah, set your dreams as high as the eagles fly.

But on the real, make something that has reasonable expectations...like I'm a badass drummer irl, but only 1 in 10 million actually do something with that that makes a lot of money. Some say money can't buy happiness, and they're right. Find that balance of something you don't despise doing everyday but can also make enough money to where you don't bitch about a company potentially banning used games.

gaming side on blast

Ramirez

I don't know if that's all 100% true, but it definitely helps. I got my first job without knowing ANYONE there before I graduated, they went under, got my second job with only being unemployed 6 days due to connections. So literally 50% of the time it matters? MATHED.

I'd say it's less true for big cities, but smaller places, yea, it's true, lol.

Find that balance of something you don't despise doing everyday but can also make enough money to where you don't bitch about a company potentially banning used games.

bwahahaha

kylej

Banned
\ Thanks Kyle, I appreciate the advice. It means a lot to me to have someone to talk to these things about since my parents are too half assed to worry about me, though I can't blame them since they had a really shitty life and have been through a lot.

No problem, I like to stress to people repeatedly that we are all living in a once in a lifetime market for housing. You absolutely have to get into a home if you can do it. Once the 10 year treasury starts rising, forget about it.

10yearTreasuryHistorical.png

You don't have to understand what that graph means, just look at where rates have been historically and where we are now.

Say you've got a 190,000 mortgage at 3.25, and rates rise to 6.25, you've now lost $450 per month just to your mortgage payment. I don't deal with residential stuff, but on the larger commercial end, there is a lot of activity out there. Everyone's feeling a little bit of heat under their ass.

Even if you aren't buying for yourself there are great investment opportunities out there.

Find that balance of something you don't despise doing everyday but can also make enough money to where you don't bitch about a company potentially banning used games.

^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom