• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix

Just curious about what the remnants of HaloGAF plan on getting. PS4 or Xbox One? Like based on what we know right now.

PS4 at launch almost just for Destiny. XONE a bit later on, maybe a year post launch.

EDIT: lol, I just cropped a picture of the traveler for my avatar and I found it in my picture folder as my original GAF avatar :D!

Just curious about what the remnants of HaloGAF plan on getting. PS4 or Xbox One? Like based on what we know right now.

As of this moment, PS4. Halo 5 (or whatever is next) will probably be something that I don't want to play. Destiny will have exclusive content on the PS4, and if they keep their current PSN structure, I won't have to pay to play it!

kylej

Banned
xbone day one. all my e-friends play xbox and I like what they're doing with the system. might get ps4 day one if they announce some really amazing exclusives but their first-party franchises like killzone put me to sleep.

Are you for or against? :p

But for serious, basing any decision this early on is crazy considering the amount of money would be going into it. I learned my lesson after the Halo 4 LE.

Can't say I've ever wanted a PS system ever. I've been using my xbox for obscene amounts of Youtube lately.

I don't think PC gaming is for me. Maybe I'm just too much of a casual but for my money, I like knowing I can consistently buy new games and know for certain that they can be played as intended. I just got Chivalry Medieval Warfare on Steam. Great game but I have to play on a very low spec and finding decent servers to play on with little or no lag is a tremendous strain on my enjoyment of the experience.

I'm certainly leaning towards wanting an Xbox One but I certainly won't be preordering or even purchasing until everything's out in the open for all options.

Why Xbox?

That brand loyalty I guess.

Most of my time online now is spent watching stuff over playing games. I've bought 2 games in the last 16 months so the DRM thing doesn't affect me at all.

If I wanted just a pure games machine I'd probably go Playstation. Im more interested in everything else entertainment wise, with games being on the side. All that Skype shit really appeals to me too. Have a lot of friends who have moved abroad so Id use that.

Plus I cant go back to that Sony controller.

Most of my real life friends have Xbox over PS too.

Also what Kyle touched on, all my "online" friends have Live and will be getting the new Xbox.

Mix

Yeah boiiiiiii

Although that's next year, isn't it?

Activision has stated to not expect it this year but with how much advertisement it's getting, I'd be surprised if it wasn't until next year. Not every game gets a live action trailer a year in advance.

Yeah. We'll see what both will have at launch, but currently my plan is just to build a new PC, for about €600.

Paying for PAX (hype!) and possibly a car has held me off from it so far.

Neither. Nothing I've seen or read so far has captured my interest enough to warrant a day one purchase, so I'll be sticking with the 360 and ps3 until Destiny hits. Then, I'll probably just get what most of DestinyGAF gets.

^^ couple of weeks until E3

Between that and "next generation used games" Nintendo has lots of exclusives.

Nothing has appealed to me yet. The Wii U just isn't doing it for me- especially for the price. I just really don't know what Nintendo was thinking with the console..

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure the upcoming Mario/Zelda exclusives will be fucking awesome, but I will certainly wait til they are out. Not buying such a limited 'last gen' system for such a high price.

For those picking the Xbox, do you care about the DRM/used games stuff?

The Xbox has more games that appeal to me, but that stuff really annoys me. I guess it really just depends on what new stuff we see at E3 for me at this point. If Crackdown 3 is announced, Halo 2 HD, Perfect Dark 2 or Banjo 3 as the historic Rare IP coming back, and some cool new IPs, I don't think I can say no to the X1.

PS4 for me. There's not a single reason for me to want an XBO yet, and I will never buy it if they follow through with their current policies on DRM and used games. I won't buy a PS4 if they follow suit.

I want a Wii U, but I'm waiting for the first-party games to come out and a price drop.

The Xbox has more games that appeal to me, but that stuff really annoys me. I guess it really just depends on what new stuff we see at E3 for me at this point. If Crackdown 3 is announced, Halo 2 HD, Perfect Dark 2 or Banjo 3 as the historic Rare IP coming back, and some cool new IPs, I don't think I can say no to the X1.

Honestly, no.

I understand why people are upset about it (although MS never should have said anything until they could deliver final concrete details on how it will all work), but it won't affect me.

I'm just not picking yet, I'm waiting it out and following the info leading up to launch. So much can change between now and then, for better or worse.

Odds are I will eventually pick em all up (for the right price), but I do need to make sure I choose the right one first as I will be stuck with it for a while.

And yeah, the DRM stuff does matter to me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Yea I care but I care about Halo and MS first party more.

Well it is not about becoming rich, it is about something that will keep you on your feet and that you are also prepared financially if something bad unexpected happens.

Heckfu's tips were really good.

Sort of what I meant in my post but I am on painkillers so I was a lot more self indulgent than I meant to be.

Also have to figure on kids etc. There is a little switch that gets turned on when you have kids. At that point the do what I love thing becomes secondary to the need to provide.

Not swayed either way currently. Waiting until the software shows its hand at E3. I'll be honest though, I found the near sole focus on television at the Xbone reveal to be rather disturbing. TV is almost dead to me in the traditional sense; these days I just download whatever I want to watch and watch it when I want. Personally, I found the unveiling of a Halo television series at the worldwide reveal of what is supposed to be your new games console bizarre. PS4 had a better reveal but the PS3 was near anonymous to me this gen. PS1 still best console of all time though.

Might just get a PC.

My issue is, while I really love some Sony games, I haven't fallen in love with a franchise like I have Halo. So while the PS4 is doing everything right, and its games do look really good, they aren't system sellers for me. Time will tell, but I know it will take more than great games from the Xbox One to sell me. I need to know the system itself will not force its anti-consumer policies onto me.

Welp, it will impact me so much because I mostly play used games from my friends except for Halo, recently I buy new games only if my friends will buy it for some Multiplayer and stopped buy day one games too.

I heard you can share your digital game to 5 accounts on the PS3.

heckfu

Banned
xbone day one. all my e-friends play xbox and I like what they're doing with the system. might get ps4 day one if they announce some really amazing exclusives but their first-party franchises like killzone put me to sleep.

Agreed with all. I'll get an Xbox day one and probably will ask for ps4 for christmas just to have it as well (and if that falls through I'll end up buying it around the first of the year). It seems like 100% of hgs are getting the xbox as well and that's the majority of gaming I do anyway is with you guys.

This is still very much work in progress and I'll be building up the links as they become available.

E3 2013 11-13 June

Live Streams

Konami (Pre-E3) - Thu 6 June @ 10am PDT/6pm BST
Streams: Gamespot IGN

Microsoft – Mon 10 June @ 9:30am PDT/5:30pm BST
Streams: Gamespot IGN Xbox
Also Available via Xbox Event Player App on Xbox Live

Ubisoft – Mon 10 June @ 1pm PDT/9pm BST

Electronic Arts – Mon 10 June @ 3pm PDT/11pm BST
Streams: Gamespot IGN EA

Sony – Tue 11 June @ 6pm PDT/2am BST
Also Available on PS3 and PS Vita

Nintendo (Direct) – Tue 11 June @ 7am PDT/3pm BST
Streams: Nintendo IGN

Square Enix - Shows throughout E3 on their own Youtube Channel
Streams: Youtube

Agreed with all. I'll get an Xbox day one and probably will ask for ps4 for christmas just to have it as well (and if that falls through I'll end up buying it around the first of the year). It seems like 100% of hgs are getting the xbox as well and that's the majority of gaming I do anyway is with you guys.
I'll be playing Destiny only on PS4, unless Bungie supports cross-platform saves.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure the upcoming Mario/Zelda exclusives will be fucking awesome, but I will certainly wait til they are out. Not buying such a limited 'last gen' system for such a high price.

I agree with this, but it's also sort of funny that a couple months ago I thought Nintendo was dead in the water with the U, but now it seems like it accidentally has features that PS4 and Xbone lack. Such a weird moment in time for the industry.

I probably won't get either of the systems at launch, but I will likely get the Xbone once (if) a new Halo game hits. As much as I'd love to pretend I have principles/morales/common-sense about all the consumer rights issues and the killing Halo issues, I don't.

The funny thing is, all the nerds losing their shit on Gaming side about the new Xbox will probably end up buying one.

People just like to make big deals out of shit and enjoy complaining.

Watch the sales numbers blow the fuck up

I agree with this, but it's also sort of funny that a couple months ago I thought Nintendo was dead in the water with the U, but now it seems like it accidentally has features that PS4 and Xbone lack. Such a weird moment in time for the industry.

I probably won't get either of the systems at launch, but I will likely get the Xbone once (if) a new Halo game hits. As much as I'd love to pretend I have principles/morales/common-sense about all the consumer rights issues and the killing Halo issues, I don't.

TBH, despite it having certain features that the others lack, I honestly still think they are in a tough spot. Im still not certain who the console is supposed to appeal to, and how the plan to get the console selling to those people. Its dated archaic online and account systems are such a turnoff for me, and mix that with it being just a last gen system with little to no third part support...eh. It looked dated when it came out, and say what you want about the Xbox One, but its going to look even more dated once that is out.

Xbox One: I don't like it. But I at least kinda 'get' it. If they back off the anti-consumer DRM and Kinect spying on you to advertise stuff I'll likely be in. (assuming the games are there, and its at the right price)

Xbone day 1

used game stuff doesn't matter to me

Used games stuff bleeds over in to the always on DRM which is what really bugs me, and should bug others. Should MS servers go down there is a good chance you will not be able to play your SP games. That is unacceptable to me. No used games is unfortunate, but I can take it. Needing a connection check up every 24 hours is something I really can't take.

Used games stuff bleeds over in to the always on DRM which is what really bugs me, and should bug others. Should MS servers go down there is a good chance you will not be able to play your SP games. That is unacceptable to me. No used games is unfortunate, but I can take it. Needing a connection check up every 24 hours is not.

I literally can't imagine a scenario where a connection wouldn't be possible for 24 hours.

What year is this?

I literally can't imagine a scenario where a connection wouldn't be possible for 24 hours.

What year is this?

Thats some narrow minded thinking. I have been without a connection for over 24 hours before. Now, I live in a suburb close to a big city, so thats rare, but those who are in less than ideal locations for internet have to deal with it more frequently.

It sets an ugly precedent. What happens when their servers go down? Hell, what happens if MS drops out of gaming? (lol, I know)
Will we even be able to play Xbox One games in 10 years?

Always on DRM is a fucking bad idea. Games like Diablo 3 can show one of the reasons why.

Fracas

#fuckonami
After next gen ends and is no longer supported, the Xbox One literally becomes a useless brick, as does all of your games. That's enough to prevent a purchase for me.

Used games stuff bleeds over in to the always on DRM which is what really bugs me, and should bug others. Should MS servers go down there is a good chance you will not be able to play your SP games. That is unacceptable to me. No used games is unfortunate, but I can take it. Needing a connection check up every 24 hours is something I really can't take.

I cant even remember the last time my internet went down.

Plus even when it does go down you cant go do something else? Seriously?

Connecting once every 24 hours is hardly a big problem.

TheOddOne

It's a big no-no to say (especially now), but I really have no big quarrels with the X1. I do respect and understand why people are against its policies though.

For me it bows down to games and how much time I’m going with on them. I know that I put a lot of time into Halo games, like hundreds of hours – even with the lesser games. While it’s nice that there is some diversity in exclusives on all consoles, I never really stick with those games very long. I do appreciate having a backburner game, which I play, analyze and move on (Mental exercise: think of the games you played and liked, but never really returned to).

Seeing as the market is moving in more shorter movie-like games, I never feel like I’m missing out too much these days. Maybe it’s my nature to seek out more gameplay centric affairs, which people seem to shun more and more and well the industry itself too, and because of that Halo kind of still draws me back.

I’m looking forward to the PS4 too btw. DriveClub looks really, really, really awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom