• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Game doesn't look shitty though. Also it's not just Win8, it's Win8 Phone too. Also Hydra you seem new to the concept of Halo (and many other games) having comics, books, toys, and mobile games.

So you'd be ok with the comic locking out bonus pages until you put in the code you got with the game? More pages if you bought the toys too? Puh-leeeese.

Madness

I don't know, for me Halo was always about the main games. I liked Halo Wars, was made by a quality studio and nice to switch it up.

But they're widening it too much, to the point it loses its appeal a bit. Same thing EA did with mass effect and so I don't blame them.

But it's like toys, comics, tons of novels, television series, now mobile games etc.

Eh maybe I'm being overly critical. I'd like to see this for XBLA though. Why would I buy it for an OS I hate is what I meant. I don't like Windows 8 much. I didn't even get a choice. I needed a new laptop and it came with windows 8 installed and it's a non touchscreen one.

As for sales, I think it'll be a flop. In all honesty, it's made by a no-name studio, for a very limited audience. I mean not even Mass effect infiltrator sold well and it was made by an in house EA studio and was released on iOS/Android.

Will have to see how it plays though and how it's reviewed, but in all honesty, I've got zero interest in this. Like no hype. Sure it says Halo, but to me it could be a Temple Run 2 or some random Gameloft game. Maybe I'm no longer as big a fan of the Halo universe as I thought.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So you'd be ok with the comic locking out bonus pages until you put in the code you got with the game? More pages if you bought the toys too? Puh-leeeese.

Pages? Did I miss something? Thought they were just locking out a few crappy emblems. If they are locking out pages that's dumb, but at least it'll be up on the Wiki within a day. I doubt the story from this thing will really have any effect on the main games. Not many of the graphic novels do.

I don't know, for me Halo was always about the main games. I liked Halo Wars, was made by a quality studio and nice to switch it up.

But they're widening it too much, to the point it loses its appeal a bit. Same thing EA did with mass effect and so I don't blame them.

But it's like toys, comics, tons of novels, television series, now mobile games etc.

Eh maybe I'm being overly critical. I'd like to see this for XBLA though. Why would I buy it for an OS I hate is what I meant. I don't like Windows 8 much. I didn't even get a choice. I needed a new laptop and it came with windows 8 installed and it's a non touchscreen one.

As for sales, I think it'll be a flop. In all honesty, it's made by a no-name studio, for a very limited audience. I mean not even Mass effect infiltrator sold well and it was made by an in house EA studio and was released on iOS/Android.

Will have to see how it plays though and how it's reviewed, but in all honesty, I've got zero interest in this. Like no hype. Sure it says Halo, but to me it could be a Temple Run 2 or some random Gameloft game. Maybe I'm no longer as big a fan of the Halo universe as I thought.

But, to be fair, it's nice to see them explore things outside of the main games. Halo Wars was great. ODST was (before it ruined the franchise) too. The books and toys serve to get people who don't like FPS games into Halo and you can't really fault them for trying to do that. I think it's pretty awesome.

What isn't awesome is this thing they are doing. They are trying to tie all these different things together. I don't read the books. If I had an interest in reading the books I' have read them by now. I do like Halo 4. I don't want to have to buy books toys or other games to get content for Halo 4. That's shitty DLC. The shittiest. It's a way of trying to get the gamers to branch out into the rest of the Halo market in a badly executed way that makes me feel like I am missing content in the only place where I shouldn't be; The actual Halo games.

But, to be fair, it's nice to see them explore things outside of the main games. Halo Wars was great. ODST was (before it ruined the franchise) too. The books and toys serve to get people who don't like FPS games into Halo and you can't really fault them for trying to do that. I think it's pretty awesome.

What isn't awesome is this thing they are doing. They are trying to tie all these different things together. I don't read the books. If I had an interest in reading the books I' have read them by now. I do like Halo 4. I don't want to have to buy books toys or other games to get content for Halo 4. That's shitty DLC. The shittiest. It's a way of trying to get the gamers to branch out into the rest of the Halo market in a badly executed way that makes me feel like I am missing content in the only place where I shouldn't be; The actual Halo games.
Agreed, the skin and dlc strategies 343 have employed for Halo 4 is ugly and manipulative.

Ghazi

Wait, so Spartan Assault is a mobile game and they're remastering Fable 1? Woah.

edit: Oh, Windows 8 :(

Feels like a "Oh shit W8 is failing lets throw the Halo Brand behind it" move. Game looks okay but locking it to W8 is dumb. You alienate so many potential users like that.

They didn't give a single fuck when they locked Halo 2 behind Vista. Why start caring about it now? It makes sense to them if they're trying to push the new OS, but I think it would've been smarter to put a mainline FPS Halo on Windows 8 since this doesn't seem like it's something I'd switch to 8 for. Plus, I can play it on my phone.

Feels like a "Oh shit W8 is failing lets throw the Halo Brand behind it" move. Game looks okay but locking it to W8 is dumb. You alienate so many potential users like that.

Are you kidding? When they bust out Spartan Assault and tell people it's Palmer's backstory and show riveting upscaled 640p footage set to 198kbps audio of 117 and that it's exclusively for Windows 8, people are going to go nuts for it.

Am I the only one feeling salty? This reminds me of that shitty mountain dew game before the Halo 4 launch.

I mean it's Halo in name only. Made by some new random mobile developer from the Netherlands who released one game I've heard of but never played, Gatling Gears. Plus it stars the character people loathe. Do a poll on any site of Halo fans, what they think of Palmer. Hell I'd rather play as some new unknown Spartan-IV than her.

Who even uses Windows Phone 8 or Surface tablets?Sure it'll come to Windows 8, but why would I want to play this on my laptop or something? I understand why it's not coming to iOS/Android, but they're severely limiting themselves here. If this was coming to XBLA, than that's a different story. That would have sold pretty decently, I'd have probably bought it just to see what it's like.

Look how quickly Gears of War on PC flopped. I'll add some sugar to my post by saying, I'm glad they are branching out, adding new experiences, etc. And they probably didn't spend much money etc.

Yeah, why would anyone want to play games on a computer?

I can't tell if Last of Us is getting Halo 4 9.8 style ad funded scores, hype scores, of it it's that good. I'm pissed cause now I gotta hook up my PS3 again

I played through the demo and it was pretty fantastic. The e3 2012 gameplay where you are fighting humans was what grabbed my attention, the infected are a side show. That said, the game creates so much tension that a if you haven't properly prepared and scavenged, you better be ready to think on your feet. In the demo I was completely prepared to take on a group of infected, but your best plan turns into a quick shit your pants moment where you either improvise or die. I don't think any game has made me say, "oh fuck" after making one simple mistake in a battle. Like I said on twitter, you'll finish a battle and realize you were clenching the entire time lol.

That is just the infected, I can't imagine what fighting the other humans will be like. As a fan of the older Splinter Cell games, I found the stealth to work INCREDIBLY well. You can be Sam Fisher if you want.

THE LAST OF US IS GRADE A BUTT PUCKER MATERIAL -sltyPoison

throw that on the box.

Madness

Yeah, why would anyone want to play games on a computer?

How many PC gamers are rocking Windows 8 as their OS as opposed to Windows 7 64 bit? I didn't mean it that way, as if to say no one plays games on the PC. I mean its not going to be released on Steam, only through Windows 8 app/games or whatever.

The fact it's just a random mobile game is even less incentive to play it, you know?

Karl2177

I'm waiting for the day when the Halo branded Spartan McNuggets come out, and you can only get a certain helmet by purchasing every type of dipping sauce. And then it ends up looking like a dipping cup plastered on the chicken nuggets that are shaped like a boot.

Sai-kun

Banned
New Halo game:
6D1fLFW.gif

New Halo game for W8 only:
8RvOycC.gif

Not like I'm surprised, but this ain't an OS seller for me, so...all 5 of you with windows 8 and windows phones, enjoy? I guess?

How many PC gamers are rocking Windows 8 as their OS as opposed to Windows 7 64 bit? I didn't mean it that way, as if to say no one plays games on the PC. I mean its not going to be released on Steam, only through Windows 8 app/games or whatever.

The fact it's just a random mobile game is even less incentive to play it, you know?

Are you Ben Kuchera?

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-next-halo-game-is-coming-to-hardware-you-dont-have-and-software-you-don

Tawpgun

The game looks rad and I really want to play it.

That being said, I think it's gonna flop hard.

People tend not to buy those super complex games on mobile because using the touch screen is a bitch. That's why the most succesful mobile games are super simple in gameplay.

So you're limiting yourself to a pool of people already owning windows 8 phones, which isn't the biggest install base... and even then the only ones of those that will drop 7 bucks on a mobile game will be hardcore halo fans, and that's an even smaller selection.

Most people I know either don't have Windows 8, or got rid of it for 7 because its trash. They might be able to get some people here but who knows.

an OS is expensive to get. So is a new phone. And people who are content with their android and ios devices aren't going to drop hundred+ buckaroos just to play a little Halo mobile game.

It's setting itself up for failure just like Halo 2 VISTA did when it came out. Don't limit your install base ya dingus's

Should have been a XBLA game. I would have bought it.

How many of those Licensees are OEM to tablet and phone manufactures and how many more are sold to resellers?

100 Million seems like a lot when W8 has a terribly low adoption rate. I literally know not a single person who has it.

Secondly a game like this a very little appeal to any mass markets. Tablet users mainly but Android and iPads make up the biggest part of that market and many-nearly all PC gamers opted to stick with W7 because of the "walled garden" aspects of W8 and the shrinking support from companies like valve.

Got a feeling a 800msp XBLA would be a much more successful route.

man got spoiled hard for GoT in the last of us review thread. jesus christ people are dense.

the dude was perm'd but his response, "the episode came out 2 days ago."

wow...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I would love this game on XBLA.

I think we should wait and see what MS has at E3 though. I have an inkling that there will be more Halo to come.

I do really enjoy those top-down twin-stick style shooters (makes me think of the XBLA games Assault Heroes), so looking forward to this.

On the other hand, it features Sarah Palmer, so I feel like it's also my duty to humanity to not support an form of media involving that character.

So, Spartan Assault looks pretty cool... but since its limited to Windows 8 devices and I have a Mcbook and a new Android phone...bleh. =(

Hopefully it comes to other platforms, XBLA would be great.

On another note:

I sense many bitching tonight. Many bitching. Mark my words.

+

Tonight? In one hour I guess haha.

+

Can't wait to see GAF's reaction to this announcement.

So, how did so many know about this in advanced? Haha

The fuck's up with the giant-ass Halo Legends Hunter/Wraiths in the background?

WHAT IF SARAH PALMER IS THE PROTOTYPE, GUISE

GHOST GOES INSIDE HER

CALL OF DUTY GHOSTS IS GOING TO FUCK OVER SPARTAN ASSAULT

THE ANSWER WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US THE WHOLE TIME

senador

Banned
I feel like Spartan Assault will be ported eventually to XBLA or iOS. Some other MS games have been ported to iOS after initially being Windows Phone. Seems perfect for sticks, I'm actually not sure why it wasn't made for XBLA now that I think of it. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom