• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone here is opposed to the game. It just sucks that some of the halo fans who really want to play it won't get to because MSoft is using it solely as an OS seller.

People have seriously odd priorities if a $7 game is an OS mover.

MS has had the Xbox Live platform on Windows Phone for about 2 and half years and now has it on Windows 8 and they haven't brought any of their key Xbox franchises to the platform outside of Xbox. This is a move to do so.

It will also have asynchronous cross-platform play that's made "easy" by WP8 and W8 sharing the same kernel, and they want to have that be a serious feature of their platforms going forward.

This said, I still expect the game to be ported to other platforms eventually.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't see what the issue is with this game/project. It looks like a fun little game. I'm sure it's not detracting from any major Halo projects at all. Just wait until next Monday.

I don't see what the issue is with this game/project. It looks like a fun little game. I'm sure it's not detracting from any major Halo projects at all. Just wait until next Monday.

The issue I have is unless I'm prepared to upgrade to an operating system I consider inferior/useless or shell out hundreds to buy a windows tablet I can't play it. I get that it's petty but I like to play Halo stuff, I go all out with Halo because its a series I'm invested in. Possibly the series I'm most invested in.

No underlying element is stopping this been brought to Steam, Apple Store, Google Play Store, or XBLA/XB1A but its seems restricted to only W8 devices as a way to make W8 seem more attractive to a consumer and that's just smart business I can understand exactly why its happening.

It feels like a fantastic tasting carrot is being dangled in front of me emblazoned with "look what you could be playing" but the obstacle in the way is not something I can realistically surpass. Surely your fan base should be rewarded for being invested in your series? Not punished because they didn't buy Microsoft's new gadget of the year project.

I'm just bitter I won't be able to play this. But I feel a massive opportunity and cash cow was missed by not bringing it to XBLA, Android and iPad marketplaces.

Also as a side point I feel the brand growth is happening too quickly. Halo TV Show, W8 game and "bootcamp" Its growing without any real direction it seems likes it's going to only serve to dilute it. To be frank, 343i did not deliver a good enough title when Halo 4 launched that I'm confident the future efforts are going to bode well. The game was messy, stripped of features, broken in certain parts and left me feeling a let down. It's improved since but its still not to a point were I feel the series is in safe hands. I'm still worried about its future, and what 343 are capable of and finally how much Microsoft are going to damage it by forcing outsourcing, spin offs, completion dates and "milking"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think the main issue people are having is the exclusivity to W8.

The issue I have is unless I'm prepared to upgrade to an operating system I consider inferior/useless or shell out hundreds to buy a windows tablet I can't play it. I get that it's petty but I like to play Halo stuff, I go all out with Halo because its a series I'm invested in. Possibly the series I'm most invested in.

No underlying element is stopping this been brought to Steam, Apple Store, Google Play Store, or XBLA/XB1A but its seems restricted to only W8 devices as a way to make W8 seem more attractive to a consumer and that's just smart business I can understand exactly why its happening.

It feels like a fantastic tasting carrot is being dangled in front of me emblazoned with "look what you could be playing" but the obstacle in the way is not something I can realistically surpass. Surely your fan base should be rewarded for being invested in your series? Not punished because they didn't buy Microsoft's new gadget of the year project.

I'm just bitter I won't be able to play this. But I feel a massive opportunity and cash cow was missed by not bringing it to XBLA, Android and iPad marketplaces.

Also as a side point I feel the brand growth is happening too quickly. Halo TV Show, W8 game and "bootcamp" Its growing without any real direction it seems likes it's going to only serve to dilute it. To be frank, 343i did not deliver a good enough title when Halo 4 launched that I'm confident the future efforts are going to bode well. The game was messy, stripped of features, broken in certain parts and left me feeling a let down. It's improved since but its still not to a point were I feel the series is in safe hands. I'm still worried about its future, and what 343 are capable of and finally how much Microsoft are going to damage it by forcing outsourcing, spin offs, completion dates and "milking"

Weird I would have thought when many posters ask what they've been up to and why the outsourcing we could see just how busy they've really been when they deliver:

1. Reach TU & ann. maps.
2. CEA
3. Halo 4
4. Soundtracks
5. TU & sustain
6. Books
7. Comics
8. Figurines
9. FuD
10. Spartan Assault
11. DLC maps X 3
12. Redesigning the game assets/engine/studio for the next 10 years of Halo
13. Next title spin off
14. Halo 5
15. Waypoint site/apps
16. Events
17. CGI/terminals
18. SPOPS
19. Halo TV

For me personally when I look at what they've been producing in say the last 12 months I am impressed. Sure I would have changed some 10-25% of the game or authors etc but overall I still feel like they're making 3 good moves for every 1 bad move. I'm happy with that and there is tons of room for them hitting their stride, which I think we're really starting to see this quarter and a run up to next gen this XMAS.

Also for the fatty inside all of us...
xlarge.jpg

Ramirez

Because it's pretty obvious it should be a XBLA title, I know you're slurping the D pretty hard right now, but c'mon.

I wanted to get a W8 phone. I really, really did. But there are none on Sprint and the only ETA on actual W8 phones on my service is in "Summer".

HTC One and Android are awesome. No regrets.

Hopefully it comes to XBLA or Android play store at some point.

Overdoziz

Banned
Weird I would have thought when many posters ask what they've been up to and why the outsourcing we could see just how busy they've really been when they deliver:

1. Reach TU & ann. maps.
2. CEA
3. Halo 4
4. Soundtracks
5. TU & sustain
6. Books
7. Comics
8. Figurines
9. FuD
10. Spartan Assault
11. DLC maps X 3
12. Redesigning the game assets/engine/studio for the next 10 years of Halo
13. Next title spin off
14. Halo 5
15. Waypoint site/apps
16. Events
17. CGI/terminals
18. SPOPS
19. Halo TV

For me personally when I look at what they've been producing in say the last 12 months I am impressed. Sure I would have changed some 10-25% of the game or authors etc but overall I still feel like they're making 3 good moves for every 1 bad move. I'm happy with that and there is tons of room for them hitting their stride, which I think we're really starting to see this quarter and a run up to next gen this XMAS.

Also for the fatty inside all of us...
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18pq9rj0di63cjpg/xlarge.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/n44Qk8v.png

I don't understand comments like this, I donate some of my time to clean and manage some Halo forums. It's my little way of giving something positive back to Halo. Make fun of it if you will but I just don't understand it's relevancy or how it's a joke. It's just like water off a duck's back mate.

If you think that 343i list I whipped up is a small body of work I wonder what you actually produce at your work or school...

it's because:

1. you stink at halo
2. you say camo is a good idea
3. you say IS is a good idea
4. you slrp 343s D h-core.

1. I'm more casual these days but I'm far from shite at Halo thanks and was quite the default hardcore objective player. A triple legit 50 who never quit any games, had to play with a non-hitscan BR on USA host for 75% of those games and played mostly as a random at top 50 in Halo 3 ranked objective for years. I hold many medals and the top rank in TO as #1 in Australia too, not that I think back then I was anywhere near the best objective player in Australia, that goes to some insane ACL Pro players/teams who are far beyond my skills. Point is I'm far from shite at Halo, justify you own comments however you wish but you're not based in factual reality.

2. Ok, once again I think those things have their place for some 25% of playlists in Halo, try reading instead of generalising via knee-jerk reactions. I like Reach & Halo 4 IS for approx. 25% of my games. I much prefer arena style Halo or 1-sided classic CTF/assault without AA's. I don't expect small minded belittling posters to comprehend such grey areas in life.

3. See above.

4. I appreciate hard work, games development and I enjoy their games, deal with it.

Further I don't usually do this but you're a legit highest skill of 15 in Halo 3 with approx. 200 games played and you're TOD is AR+melee GTFO. If I'm going to get insulted about skill can it at least be from a player with some skill or experience with top level play in Halo 3 thanks. Epitome of shitty Halo attitudes right here.

Madness

It'll fucking come to XBLA eventually, don't worry.

Who cares about it then? Let's be honest. It needs to come out now, while the generation is still strong. How many of us here wouldn't shell out 600 or 800 ms points to buy it?

Huge opportunity missed.

And I know why, MS corporate culture is like this. It's why Bungie got the hell out. Bonnie and the other transplants from MS executive probably got word to make a Halo game but to limit it to Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 so as to make it more appealing just like Games for Windows Live etc. And so they don't really care what fans think when they can look at 8% increase in platform growth blah blah.

So yes it will come to XBLA eventually because it's going to be a huge flop on Windows 8 devices.

DeadNames

Banned
I don't understand comments like this, I donate some of my time to clean and manage some Halo forums. It's my little way of giving something positive back to Halo. Make fun of it if you will but I just don't understand it's relevancy or how it's a joke. It's just like water off a duck's back mate.

If you think that 343i list I whipped up is a small body of work I wonder what you actually produce at your work or school...

it's because:

1. you stink at halo

m23

why? It's not being advertised as a mainline halo game. it's a little spin off being made by some silly mobile dev no one knows.

"some silly mobile dev no one knows"

They have made a few games, one of which is Gatling Gears which was released on XBLA. I think they're a little more than some silly mobile dev no one knows.

Edit:
it's because:

1. you stink at halo

Nevermind, it seems I'm talking to a 12 year old child.

DeadNames

Banned
^I think the multitude of hgs posts we got were among the worst I've seen.

They have made a few games, one of which is Gatling Gears which was released on XBLA. I think they're a little more than some silly mobile dev no one knows.

Nevermind, it seems I'm talking to a 12 year old child.

well excuse me for not knowing a dev who made a game that was released on the arcade. and yeah, I probably shouldn't have said the part of no one knowing. it's kind of a personal problem of mine to assume things like that.

you got me, I'm 12 for regurgitating info that I got from this thread a few days back.

I literally had to Google what Gatling Gears was. I mean they might be a great studio but hardly anyone has heard of them

As W!Games
My Horse and Me - 2007 (Wii)
Greed Corp - 2010 (XBLA, PSN)

As Vanguard Entertainment
Gatling Gears - 2011 (XBLA, PSN)

Studio could be the next big thing but that list is hardly any reason to give them attention.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This whole shit is being blown out of proportion. This game is a tool for MS to push their Windows 8 platforms.

m23

I literally had to Google what Gatling Gears was. I mean they might be a great studio but hardly anyone has heard of them

As W!Games
My Horse and Me - 2007 (Wii)
Greed Corp - 2010 (XBLA, PSN)

As Vanguard Entertainment
Gatling Gears - 2011 (XBLA, PSN)

Studio could be the next big thing but that list is hardly any reason to give them attention.

I understand if you haven't heard of them and explain in that way. But calling them a "silly mobile dev" is pretty unnecessary, especially considering I don't even see a mobile game in that list aside from of course the new Halo game.

DeadNames

Banned
I understand if you haven't heard of them and explain in that way. But calling them a "silly mobile dev" is pretty unnecessary, especially considering I don't even see a mobile game in that list.

ahem.

it seems you didn't read my post. for starters, I saw someone say they had made ONE game in another thread. as I explained, I tend to jump to conclusions alot. apologies.

it's also unnecessary to constantly say a studio has shitty management, etc.

Madness

I understand if you haven't heard of them and explain in that way. But calling them a "silly mobile dev" is pretty unnecessary, especially considering I don't even see a mobile game in that list aside from of course the new Halo game.

I wouldn't call them silly. I'll say they're a no-name dev from the Netherlands with few to no games of any acclaim. So to claim they'll have best in class graphics, gameplay is laughable when they have yet to achieve it.

Unlike say Halo Wars which was given to perhaps the second best RTS studio on the planet behind blizzard.

I honestly believe it's just going to be some random game no different than what you can easily get on Google Play or the app store for free. It reminds me of the Mountain Dew king of the hill type game.

I think unless this comes to XBLA it's going to be a massive flop. And I'm going to bet this will get above an 8.5 from IGN.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You are the 5%

Being I have a Surface Pro for work I'm more like the .02%. I'd be a happier consumer if this was on iOS/XBLA, but alas.

That, or you know, the fact that I actually do think the game looks fun. I guess I'm just CRAZY!

Obviously Frankie would be forced to hire me if I support the Windows 8 game not made by 343, you DISCOVERED MY MASTER PLAN KYLE.

so Join In Progress still needs fixing. I get matched up in a game where the other team has 4 people, we have 3. One of the other team's people quits out, and then is replaced by JIP. We stay at 4 people the entire game. GG.

m23

The only way I'll be playing the game is if it releases on Xbox, I definitely see it happening. Who knows, maybe they'll have an upgraded arcade version releasing for Xbox One launch. 4 player coop and all that good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom