• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fuck you, I got mine!

us gamers, right

us gamers

tumblr_lnjd0kKCkR1qh51ogo1_500.gif

Hardcore babbies will get it at launch. BKs will get to ride that 343 dee by buying a Windows Phone for Assault on Egghead Mountain. Mid-way fans will be smart enough to realize you're a dumb shit if you get sucked in to GAF's hyperbolic groupthink and Windows 8 is cheap as hell and will have a start button by the time the game releases. People still desperately clinging to the idea that Combat Evolved 2 is right around the corner will bitch that they can't spend $599 on Combat Evolved 2 already and that 343 is wasting their time on a game that's being outsourced. People that think halo is dead are unaffected.

Life goes on.

Ghazi

Hardcore babbies will get it at launch. BKs will get to ride that 343 dee by buying a Windows Phone for Assault on Egghead Mountain. Mid-way fans will be smart enough to realize you're a dumb shit if you get sucked in to GAF's hyperbolic groupthink and Windows 8 is cheap as hell and will have a start button by the time the game releases. People still desperately clinging to the idea that Combat Evolved 2 is right around the corner will bitch that they can't spend $599 on Combat Evolved 2 already and that 343 is wasting their time on a game that's being outsourced. People that think halo is dead are unaffected.

Life goes on.

Are you referring to Windows 8.1 with this? Because the start button in it just takes you back to the metro menu. Windows 8 isn't expensive in any regards, I can get it at $40 at certain places and $80 at others. I think a lot of people haven't upgraded because they're afraid of change, as they've been using the same interface or another for the past 20+ years.

Are you referring to Windows 8.1 with this? Because the start button in it just takes you back to the metro menu. Windows 8 isn't expensive in any regards, I can get it at $40 at certain places and $80 at others. I think a lot of people haven't upgraded because they're afraid of change, as they've been using the same interface or another for the past 20+ years.

Correct they are putting a Start Button on the desktop because apparently users were confused about using the corner where the Start Button always was. Now it's more idiot proof.

Start Screen > Start Menu IMO

Madness

Wrong because it's an OS designed with touch/mobile devices in mind. Why would anyone who has a desktop with a non touch monitor or someone who has a laptop with a non touch screen get Windows 8?

The only reason it has such high adoption is because they forced it onto consumers with all new purchases. So many people downgraded back to Windows 7 while others have loudly complained.

There are tons of sites, that show you how superior Windows 7 with Aero is to Windows 8. Forget Metro, even the basic desktop. It's a step backwards in every regard.

The start button, and other features reduced redundancy. It's much easier to click a button with a mouse than it is to grab a window, bring it to the right and down to close it. Or to move mouse in the corner and wait for the settings to pop up.

Nearly every computer manufacturer has claimed windows 8 is a flop and blames Microsoft.

They're upset not because they've been using the interface for so long, but because it was designed around a mouse and keyboard. This new OS isn't designed around that much.

And MS realized it and is now releasing an update that will allow you to boot straight to desktop mode. But then why even give people Metro?

wwm0nkey

people who bitch about no start bar in Windows 8. Click the bottom left corner which takes you to metro and then type....what do you fucking know it works like the start button!

Fuchsdh

Am I the only one feeling salty? This reminds me of that shitty mountain dew game before the Halo 4 launch.

I mean it's Halo in name only. Made by some new random mobile developer from the Netherlands who released one game I've heard of but never played, Gatling Gears. Plus it stars the character people loathe. Do a poll on any site of Halo fans, what they think of Palmer. Hell I'd rather play as some new unknown Spartan-IV than her.

Who even uses Windows Phone 8 or Surface tablets?Sure it'll come to Windows 8, but why would I want to play this on my laptop or something? I understand why it's not coming to iOS/Android, but they're severely limiting themselves here. If this was coming to XBLA, than that's a different story. That would have sold pretty decently, I'd have probably bought it just to see what it's like.

Look how quickly Gears of War on PC flopped. I'll add some sugar to my post by saying, I'm glad they are branching out, adding new experiences, etc. And they probably didn't spend much money etc.

"People on Internet gaming forums hate Palmer" is not an indicator of quality or sound thinking.

Madness

"People on Internet gaming forums hate Palmer" is not an indicator of quality or sound thinking.

You're right. I mean Halo fans on several gaming sites and message boards talking about how they all loathe a character is not sound thinking. And then releasing a game starring a character a lot of people hate is much better right? This isn't just a few people talking. This is based on my experience with months and months of posting after launch on multiple sites.

people who bitch about no start bar in Windows 8. Click the bottom left corner which takes you to metro and then type....what do you fucking know it works like the start button!

How is that any better than the start button then? They developed the start button for precisely that reason, because it reduces redundancy. Just like having an X to close program or window.

wwm0nkey

How is that any better than the start button then? They developed the start button for precisely that reason, because it reduces redundancy. Just like having an X to close program or window.

Don't get me wrong I would like it to be the was but the way it is now isn't really that bad.

The way some people act is like a function like Start doesn't exist at all :/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You're right. I mean Halo fans on several gaming sites and message boards talking about how they all loathe a character is not sound thinking. And then releasing a game starring a character a lot of people hate is much better right? This isn't just a few people talking. This is based on my experience with months and months of posting after launch on multiple sites.

I can't believe people on other sites have to read scroll passed your posts too.

kylej

Banned
That, or you know, the fact that I actually do think the game looks fun. I guess I'm just CRAZY!

You're not crazy, you're looking for a job. After 6 months of illogically berating people who critiqued Halo 4, it's not surprising that you illogically support a product that is anti-consumer and will be dead on arrival.

Madness

Don't get me wrong I would like it to be the was but the way it is now isn't really that bad.

The way some people act is like a function like Start doesn't exist at all :/

But that's just it. So many people defend Windows 8 saying things like, it can work like Windows 7, it's not so bad etc.

And yet my point is, it is bad for people with desktops and who still use mice/touchpads. Windows 8 is only faster, but it's a step back in nearly every way to Windows 7.

Whether it's the corner pop up controls, things like grabbing a program and holding it to right and swiping down to get rid of it.

'hey son, how do I shut down the computer?' 'you have to bring your cursor to the bottom right, wait for the pop up, and then click the relevant power, shutdown'. How is that better than click start, click shutdown?

And there are numerous sites that break it down. This has been a waste of an OS for many people, and they bring up that while it is faster than Windows 7, they've taken a step backwards in a lot of way. Why would anyone upgrade? Anyone who uses Windows 7? What benefits does Windows 8 give them.

And every single PC manufacturer blames Microsoft, devs like Gabe Newell are saying Windows 8 is a catastrophe to develop for etc.

I'm guessing from the Halo 4 engine some of the below, any other additions?

1. Native 1080p or higher support. Halo 4 already drastically redeveloped the engine for native 720p support, something Bungie never did. I don't see them redeveloping that just for the 360 so I call this one done and ready for next generation, possible 4K too. I wonder if the next gen Halo engine/game is the poster child for Azure based cloud graphical elements processing?

2. Netcode and mechanics won't be the same as current gen Halo due to dedicated servers. I wonder if they're going to keep two engine versions or they have built switching systems into one engine?

3. Azure, we already know Halo 4 uses/pioneered development with the Azure team. How far along is this development and again if they released Halo 4 with Azure now how much further will the 360 delve into the X1 territory or servers? This also points towards next gen development starting a long time ago with Azure experience.

4. Game assets, we already know of redeveloped character models, animation, mocap, facial mocap, audio etc so this part as far as I'm concerned is ready to. The CGI, the comics, the in game, the terminals and more are most likely off the shelf somewhat now.

5. Real life assets, they have vehicles, actors, uniforms, sets, weapons, Spartans, audio etc I wonder if this goes directly to Halo TV and/or TV spots etc?

6. Universe lore, they have campaign, SPOPS/CGI and writers with a mostly unified canon across all media these days. I wonder how far the next gen launch title or Halo 5 has been written already? The bulk of which must have been some time ago. I wonder what books are being written right now?

7. Cross devices and generation features, they already have Spartan Assault linking back to Halo 4, waypoint site/apps and Azure integration. Could we see multiple games/devices all contributing to a persistent universe/game moving forward?

8. Playlist management/cadence, sustain team/processes, an improved tuning system and community involvement/creations as well as they're launch experiences. This points to an improved Azure based core game, perhaps future next gen Halo games won't require such TU's or lengthy approval/conversion processes? Perhaps background AI or events can be ongoing or shared in Azure?

9. Tournaments, ranking & esports, I see this as purposefully missing from Halo 4 to really sell X1 and an in game ranking system in parallel to tournaments, streaming features of X1 etc. They have the Virgin experience, they developed CSR and it's matched in game but not displayed in game plus they now have a great marketing alignment with the X1 to really make a massive push in this territory. Not to mention hiring pros/talent for competitive focus.

From this basic analysis I wonder how close the next gen title or Halo 5 really is? Could we see these at launch of X1? I think it possible, at least plausible.

I got Win8 at 10 bucks as a part of a promotion, never used the metro design and Im always on the Win7 interface.

I hope they will release a demo or something.

DeadNames

Banned
You're not crazy, you're looking for a job. After 6 months of illogically berating people who critiqued Halo 4, it's not surprising that you illogically support a product that is anti-consumer and will be dead on arrival.

hows it anti consumer?

heckfu

Banned
Lol at this conversation. The people that hated Halo 4 the most and swearing off 343 complaining they can't buy their next game.

Whoops!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Oh get over yourself Kyle. 343 isn't even making the damn game. If you seriously think I believe I will get a job at 343 by posting on NeoGaf you're more delusional then I thought. Shit, you must believe having to buy a PS3 for Gran Turismo is "anti-consumer" too.

You seem like a cool dude, and I laugh when you poke fun, but this shit is ridiculous. A grown-ass man believing that I am merely saying I like Halo 4 and that this new game looks decent because I'm pandering for a job at 343 when none of the 343 people here are recruiters, nor here to find the next 343 employee. I do want a job at 343, and I go about trying to land that job like a normal person, by submitting a resume. I don't need to launch a pro Halo campaign to get there.

It is fully possible that I like Halo 4 for what it is, yet have issues with it. It is also possible I think this mobile Halo game looks cool. None of this has anything to do with my personal job hunt in the industry. I also resent the "berating" comment. My discussions rarely turn to name-calling and are always light hearted. Multiple people here can confirm that.

Ghazi

Lol at this conversation. The people that hated Halo 4 the most and swearing off 343 complaining they can't buy their next game.

Whoops!

1)It isn't made by 343 (I loved Gatling Gears)

2)It looks fun

Even though I hate to admit that profits from this will just go towards making more Infinity stuff in Halo 5

Oh get over yourself Kyle. 343 isn't even making the damn game. If you seriously think I believe I will get a job at 343 by posting on NeoGaf you're more delusional then I thought. Shit, you must believe having to buy a PS3 for Gran Turismo is "anti-consumer" too.

You seem like a cool dude, and I laugh when you poke fun, but this shit is ridiculous. A grown-ass man believing that I am merely saying I like Halo 4 and that this new game looks decent because I'm pandering for a job at 343 when none of the 343 people here are recruiters, nor here to find the next 343 employee. I do want a job at 343, and I go about trying to land that job like a normal person, by submitting a resume. I don't need to launch a pro Halo campaign to get there.

It is fully possible that I like Halo 4 for what it is, yet have issues with it. It is also possible I think this mobile Halo game looks cool. None of this has anything to do with my personal job hunt in the industry.

Hire juices. He has a deep hatred for wallowing in mediocrity.

Further proof they named it 343 industries because thast how many companies work on their games!

HEYOOOOOOOOO

But for real, when is 343 going to release their first game? I hear they are a talented group of people so I'm pretty excited for it.

Duji

Weird I would have thought when many posters ask what they've been up to and why the outsourcing we could see just how busy they've really been when they deliver:

1. Reach TU & ann. maps.
2. CEA
3. Halo 4
4. Soundtracks
5. TU & sustain
6. Books
7. Comics
8. Figurines
9. FuD
10. Spartan Assault
11. DLC maps X 3
12. Redesigning the game assets/engine/studio for the next 10 years of Halo
13. Next title spin off
14. Halo 5
15. Waypoint site/apps
16. Events
17. CGI/terminals
18. SPOPS
19. Halo TV

For me personally when I look at what they've been producing in say the last 12 months I am impressed. Sure I would have changed some 10-25% of the game or authors etc but overall I still feel like they're making 3 good moves for every 1 bad move. I'm happy with that and there is tons of room for them hitting their stride, which I think we're really starting to see this quarter and a run up to next gen this XMAS.
Yes, this is all extremely impressive...

...if you've never paid attention to any other game developer in your life.

Ghazi

Further proof they named it 343 industries because thast how many companies work on their games!

HEYOOOOOOOOO

But for real, when is 343 going to release their first game? I hear they are a talented group of people so I'm pretty excited for it.

And all that talent's you baby, you got the job!

Omni

I'm guessing from the Halo 4 engine some of the below, any other additions?

1. Native 1080p or higher support. Halo 4 already drastically redeveloped the engine for native 720p support, something Bungie never did. I don't see them redeveloping that just for the 360 so I call this one done and ready for next generation, possible 4K too. I wonder if the next gen Halo engine/game is the poster child for Azure based cloud graphical elements processing?
In all honesty I don't see them jumping to full 1080p in one go. They certainly aren't going higher because of the nextbox's GPU. 4k requires a hell of a lot of power. I think someone running BF3 at 4k required two damn titans...

That cloud processing is crap too. I'm sure someone in gaming side could explain better, but even the simplest of tasks are immensely bandwidth heavy and subject to latency. And in contrast to inner components will not give the engine any extra horsepower. I think someone worked out that the AI from a vita game would require 3.5gb an hour... Good luck downloading that, haha.

2. Netcode and mechanics won't be the same as current gen Halo due to dedicated servers. I wonder if they're going to keep two engine versions or they have built switching systems into one engine?
I do hope that 343i choose to use dedicated servers. I can see them sticking to P2P as the code is already there though.

From this basic analysis I wonder how close the next gen title or Halo 5 really is? Could we see these at launch of X1? I think so.
I'd give it another year. No way they're pushing out a next gen Halo just a year after Halo 4. Look how much was rushed with that and they had some four years in total.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Why would anyone who has a desktop with a non touch monitor or someone who has a laptop with a non touch screen get Windows 8?
Because:
Well:
  1. It's an even further optimized Windows 7(OS uses less resources)
  2. Startup time is quick as shit
  3. It has a wonderfully streamlined taskbar that lets you look at Processes, Performance, programs that Start on Startup, Services and more.
  4. You can bring back the old start button (if that's a big deal to you)
  5. 8.1 will let you boot to desktop (if that's a big deal to you)
The only reason it has such high adoption is because they forced it onto consumers with all new purchases. So many people downgraded back to Windows 7 while others have loudly complained.
Who are these "many people"?
The start button, and other features reduced redundancy. It's much easier to click a button with a mouse than it is to grab a window, bring it to the right and down to close it. Or to move mouse in the corner and wait for the settings to pop up.
You can still do that.
They're upset not because they've been using the interface for so long, but because it was designed around a mouse and keyboard. This new OS isn't designed around that much.

And MS realized it and is now releasing an update that will allow you to boot straight to desktop mode. But then why even give people Metro?
It was built to be a hybrid OS, so that it could be on tablets, smartphones, etc. It's all part of the newly repackaged Windows branding. Desktop is not irrevocably changed, certain things make improvements(ribbon menu) while others take a step or two back, I won't disagree. Keyboard shortcuts still remain as well, however.
But then why even give people Metro?
I think what you meant to ask was: "Why can't Desktop users disable Metro?"
But that's just it. So many people defend Windows 8 saying things like, it can work like Windows 7, it's not so bad etc.

And yet my point is, it is bad for people with desktops and who still use mice/touchpads. Windows 8 is only faster, but it's a step back in nearly every way to Windows 7.
Are you serious? If you really want there are programs which allow people to have the exact same Startbar that Windows 7 has. All the start menu really is, is a visualized Startbar. It's practically purpose built for the average everyday person.
Whether it's the corner pop up controls, things like grabbing a program and holding it to right and swiping down to get rid of it.
You can close a program the same way you've always closed it.
'hey son, how do I shut down the computer?' 'you have to bring your cursor to the bottom right, wait for the pop up, and then click the relevant power, shutdown'. How is that better than click start, click shutdown?
It's a minor inconvenience I give you that. MS lacks foresight, but you make it sound criminal.
And there are numerous sites that break it down. This has been a waste of an OS for many people, and they bring up that while it is faster than Windows 7, they've taken a step backwards in a lot of way. Why would anyone upgrade? Anyone who uses Windows 7? What benefits does Windows 8 give them.
Refer to the five reasons I listed earlier.
And every single PC manufacturer blames Microsoft, devs like Gabe Newell are saying Windows 8 is a catastrophe to develop for etc.
I won't lie I didn't follow that bit much, that said I've got Steam and it works just fine, so I guess Gaben was wrong.

I'd give it another year. No way they're pushing out a next gen Halo just a year after Halo 4. Look how much was rushed with that and they had some four years in total.

That is precisely my point. Don't you think the engine/studio/assets were all being redeveloped for next gen and 10 years of delivering Halo? Halo 4 to me is the stop gap in between Reach & X1 and is a scaled back version branch of what is to come. All the DLC & tweaks out before X1 reveal and E3 for next gen release this year...hmmm.

Reach TU = experience with Halo engine/matchmaking

Halo 4 = experience with full blown studio, games, all media etc. It also = redevelopment of all things Halo for next gen.

Halo 5/next title = full stride to leverage all that hardwork and experience hence why I think it's possible a title is closer than we think.

Yes, this is all extremely impressive...

...if you've never paid attention to any other game developer in your life.

Care to elaborate?

The larger franchises or developments in many forms of media think further ahead than one game development on aging hardware. Look at LOTR or Hobbit or Halo 2/3 and all their asset re-purposing, features moved from one production to the next, audio snippets shared etc. I'm not trying to say it's a shoe in for Halo 5 at launch but I certainly think it's possible for Halo 5 or a Halo launch title given what has taken place with a new studio like 343i. They were literally built with the ideal all things Halo for the next 10 years.

kylej

Banned

Phone games and console games are not even remotely comparable given the costs involved with phone hardware and contracts. If I buy a PS3 I'm not locked into that console for 2 years nor do I have to pay $100 a month to use it. When you arbitrarily release a product on a platform with 2% marketshare + enormous paywalls + timed contracts for a franchise that previously featured none of those restrictions, for the sole reason of trying to push sales of a niche product, that is a smart business practice but also anti-consumer.

And saying you merely like Halo 4 and that the new game looks decent is a joke given the relentless crusade against any and all negative comments about Halo 4 prior to release. If you think you come across as a neutral party, and that after a year of overwhelmingly positive comments about Halo products followed by a request on Twitter for a job involving Halo products, that there is no possible reason someone could see a connection there; you're the delusional one.

Booshka

I remember when MS used Shadowrun to try and sell Vista and their cross-platform nonsense. Saying that it needed Vista for DirectX10, then it got cracked to play on XP in about a month. This all reeks of corporate bullshit. Sell your game in as many places as you can, and sell it on its merits as a video game. Don't use it to push your struggling platform so you can check some more boxes and releases statements saying how you have exclusive titles from AAA developers.

It blows my mind how MS does this shit constantly, GFWL needs to die, and this nonsense has to stop. I just want to play your games on the stuff I already own that uses your products in the first place.

I have a Windows 7 PC and an Xbox 360, yet I can't play this new Halo game because they want to sell me their shit.

Fuck off.

Omni

That is precisely my point. Don't you think the engine/studio/assets were all being redeveloped for next gen and 10 years of delivering Halo? Halo 4 to me is the stop gap in between Reach & X1 and is a scaled back version branch of what is to come. All the DLC & tweaks out before X1 reveal and E3 for next gen release this year...hmmm.

Reach TU = experience with Halo engine/matchmaking

Halo 4 = experience with full blown studio, games, all media etc. It also = redevelopment of all things Halo for next gen.

Halo 5/next title = full stride to leverage all that hardwork and experience hence why I think it's possible a title is closer than we think.
Mmm. As much as I'd like to see it, I just think that they'd have too much to do in a year. Sure they may have developed things to be scalable during the Halo 4 dev process.. But I don't think that would be enough to push out another AAA game in such a short time. Especially considering that they're supposed to be developing for an entirely new platform with a completely different architecture than the 360.

After spending the last week or two playing around with Steam Big picture mode and XBMC. I'm not so sure I want a new console. One of the driving forces behind getting a new console was to keep up with current gen games. While Sony and MS each have some games I like the big time sinks for me are mostly Multiplatform titles like CoD,BF,AssCreed,Borderlands ect.

Hopefully Ill land a job soon and I can afford everything but a high end gaming PC + HTPC fusion is looking really appealing right now.

Madness

Because:

Who are these "many people"?

You can still do that.

It was built to be a hybrid OS, so that it could be on tablets, smartphones, etc. It's all part of the newly repackaged Windows branding. Desktop is not irrevocably changed, certain things make improvements(ribbon menu) while others take a step or two back, I won't disagree. Keyboard shortcuts still remain as well, however.

I think what you meant to ask was: "Why can't Desktop users disable Metro?"

Are you serious? If you really want there are programs which allow people to have the exact same Startbar that Windows 7 has. All the start menu really is, is a visualized Startbar. It's practically purpose built for the average everyday person.

You can close a program the same way you've always closed it.

It's a minor inconvenience I give you that. MS lacks foresight, but you make it sound criminal.

Refer to the five reasons I listed earlier.

I won't lie I didn't follow that bit much, that said I've got Steam and it works just fine, so I guess Gaben was wrong.

Good points. I don't know, I'm just disappointed in it. I would much rather have preferred a metro disable feature since I go straight to desktop.

I think Microsoft just overestimated how prevalent touchscreens and touch laptops would get. It's why most PC builders and custom makers still provide Windows 7 online and why so many are downgrading.

I think a short time after Windows 8 released, Allard fired the guy who developed it because of his insistence that metro was the future.

Thanks though.

FcPlsl8.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Phone games and console games are not even remotely comparable given the costs involved with phone hardware and contracts. If I buy a PS3 I'm not locked into that console for 2 years nor do I have to pay $100 a month to use it. When you arbitrarily release a product on a platform with 2% marketshare + enormous paywalls + timed contracts for a franchise that previously featured none of those restrictions, for the sole reason of trying to push sales of a niche product, that is a smart business practice but also anti-consumer.

The phone note is obvious, but the game is releasing on Windows 8 as well. Also if you'd been following my comments about the game you'd have seen that I have mentioned multiple times that I do wish the game was on iOS and XBLA. My opinions were on the game itself, not necessarily the policy surrounding its release platforms.

And saying you merely like Halo 4 and that the new game looks decent is a joke given the relentless crusade against any and all negative comments about Halo 4 prior to release. If you think you come across as a neutral party, and that after a year of overwhelmingly positive comments about Halo products followed by a request on Twitter for a job involving Halo products, that there is no possible reason someone could see a connection there; you're the delusional one.

I've addressed the prior to release comments already and noted that I was indeed a bit overzealous. It happened to more than just myself in HaloGaf. I have since listed my issues with Halo 4, but I'm not going to post them every day just so I hit my negative Halo comment quota that seems to exist before you're taken seriously by some members here.

If you believe for one second that I am forcing myself to like Halo 4 and 343 products, and forcing myself to post largely positive comments here about the game and company just to get a job you are again, delusional. I would never force myself to play a game I do not enjoy playing just to appear to be pro-company in order to land a job. No one that hires posts here, and no one that hires sees me playing Halo 4 every week. It's insane to think everything I do, and all the opinions I have are merely a facade I put up to lure 343 into hiring me.

Sure, it's logical to see a connection like that, but it's just not there. My job hunting priorities and my posting here are entirely separate (unless something is specifically mentioned). I'm not sure what you'd like me to do to appease you, post negative comments about Halo and 343 every single day to prove I'm not merely job pandering? I have my own opinions, and if you don't respect them there's really nothing more I can say. I put up with all the shots at myself and my character and qualify them all as good fun, but if you want to continue to believe the sole reason I've been on HaloGaf since around 2008 is just to get a job, you're sorely mistaken. If my posting leads there so be it, but I am not "theming" my posts for a job.

If people truly hate how I post I can quit posting in HaloGaf, but from meeting individuals here and having discussions with everyone else I do really enjoy this place and all of the members (yes, including you). I'd hate to have to leave just because someone thinks my posts are a front for another cause.

(Sorry to everyone else for the rant, but I really don't know what else to do here).

Omni

I think Microsoft just overestimated how prevalent touchscreens and touch laptops would get. It's why most PC builders and custom makers still provide Windows 7 online and why so many are downgrading. .
Where are you even getting this from? Citation maybe?

Wrong because it's an OS designed with touch/mobile devices in mind. Why would anyone who has a desktop with a non touch monitor or someone who has a laptop with a non touch screen get Windows 8?
I use Windows 8 on a non-touch device everyday: better performance, faster booting, start screening being an improvement on the start menu allowing for easier and more functional customization, a wildly better task manager, native Hyper V/Virtual drives, improved multi-monitor support, improved battery life, unified MS login that consolidates my services and automatically applies those to the appropriate applications and saves my settings across multiple devices, a new framework of applications that complement my desktop ones that have nice features including live tiles, unified notification system, charms to unify and simplify changing settings, sharing things with other apps/people, and searching apps.

I have absolutely zero issue navigating or performing a functional task easily and quickly with a keyboard and mouse.

Metro style apps are not meant to be closed in the way of traditional desktop Windows apps, hence why the traditional X to close doesn't exist. The new apps are automatically managed in memory by the operating system, reducing and suspending them in memory as needed by the user. They allows for users to fast resume apps suspended in memory instead of having to cold boot an app every time they want to use it.

Click on the Start Screen indicator is exactly the same as clicking the start button, in the exactly same spot. It was removed to unify the experience of going to the start screen from whatever kind of app you are using, as obviously the Metro apps wouldn't have the start button sitting in the corner with the lack of a taskbar. Functionally it works the exactly same way.

Nearly every computer manufacturer has claimed windows 8 is a flop and blames Microsoft.

Not nearly every Windows OEM has done that, and the ones that have do so because they got complacent sort-of-refreshing their products every year and collecting the money because for years the face of computing stayed relatively the same, but that is changing and fast, so MS released an operating system to meet that growing change in how users interact with computing devices. OEM's will have to change with them. After few OEMs had compelling devices at or near launch, we are now starting to see new devices this summer and into the fall that take advantage of the flexibility of the OS and its various input forms.

Options are bad I guess. Personally I like to boot to the Start Screen so I can see some updates (notifications, news stories, weather) before starting my first application from there. If people would rather go to the desktop first, they can do so in 8.1
Bolded obviously

Gabe rips Windows 8 because it offers a service (games and apps through the Windows Store) that threatens his business, he's frightened that games being released through the Windows Store will mean less games being purchased through his product. Windows 8 development being a catastrophe is blatantly false, developing for the desktop hasn't changed in any way, including Gabe's companies Steam working on Windows 8 the same way it work on Windows 7. Developing for the new framework is very easy and approachable even for someone such as myself that doesn't have a ton of programming experience outside of web apps. The funny kicker is that Steam users have adapted Windows 8 as a significantly greater clip than the overall population.

It took Windows 7 nearly 3 years from release to surpass an 11 year old operating system in market share. Windows 8's success or failure is not determined overnight or in six months. It will be determined over years, and it will continue to evolve as computing as a whole goes through a transition phase through changes in user behavior, the OS itself, the platform and ecosystems, and devices themselves.

Madness

On a related note, does anyone else wonder how the story will be?

I mean I was playing ODST again. After Halo 3, the humans were defeated. The military might at Reach smashed and glassed. All the major colonies destroyed.

If Reach falls, so goes Earth. And Earth fell too. The UNSC orbital fleet destroyed, cities like New Mombasa destroyed, the planet falling into the hands of the Covenant. Billions died etc.

And in Halo 4, they are a superpower within 4 short years, better than ever. Where did they get the money, the time, the knowhow to do any of it so quickly?

And this takes place between Halo 3 and Halo 4. So how would they be able to mount an attack against the Covenant again? And Palmer was an ODST, so how is she fully augmented and in her Mjolnir Scout armor so quickly?

Maybe someone can explain it better. I haven't cared much about the story after Halo 3.

EDIT: got shit on by Steely... That's informative. Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass on Windows 8 then.

On a related note, does anyone else wonder how the story will be?

I mean I was playing ODST again. After Halo 3, the humans were defeated. The military might at Reach smashed and glassed. All the major colonies destroyed.

If Reach falls, so goes Earth. And Earth fell too. The UNSC orbital fleet destroyed, cities like New Mombasa destroyed, the planet falling into the hands of the Covenant. Billions died etc.

And in Halo 4, they are a superpower within 4 short years, better than ever. Where did they get the money, the time, the knowhow to do any of it so quickly?

And this takes place between Halo 3 and Halo 4. So how would they be able to mount an attack against the Covenant again? And Palmer was an ODST, so how is she fully augmented and in her Mjolnir Scout armor so quickly?

Maybe someone can explain it better. I haven't cared much about the story after Halo 3.

I certainly can't explain it. The reason why the UNSC is even fighting the Covenant is never stated, they were broken after Halo 3, and then we are fighting what appears to be a fully formed Covenant again without explanation.

Omni

I certainly can't explain it. The reason why the UNSC is even fighting the Covenant is never stated, they were broken after Halo 3, and then we are fighting what appears to be a fully formed Covenant again without explanation.
It's explained in the books (I know, I know). Plus didn't something else tell us why? Like FuD or something? I remember something other than the books telling us why we were fighting Storm.

Ghazi

This is a good write up on the splinter group in 4:

Demigod_Elessar said:
You could say there were two Covenant groups at the end of Halo 3; the first, led by the Arbiter, were the ones who accepted humanity's truce and agreed to the ceasefire. Then, in the months following Halo 3's conclusion, there were those fanatics who still followed the false ways of the prophets. They were their own group called the "Servants of Abiding Truth". Jul M'dama and the Covenant we see in Halo 4 basically started from that group. And we don't necessarily know where the Arbiter is in all of this yet.

As for the Brutes, some of them returned to their homeworld, very few remained in service to the Elites, and the Elites basically wiped out whoever didn't fall under either of those categories.

The Storm attacked humans on Requiem first since they believe it's sacred and that the human presence on it is blasphemous. (So the same reason as the fights on the Halos)

Here's the wiki page on the Servants of Abiding Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom