• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Last bit of complaining and then I'm done, but why Palmer? She's a horribly written character that has earned the ire of a lot of fans. And they pushed her like crazy with Halo 4. Random cutscenes insulting Chief, her in the cinematic at the end when he walks past, her introducing us to War Games, and then Spartan Ops, being in our ear for most missions, and the cinematics.

And now we're getting a new comic based around her, a new game. I bet she'll be front and center for Halo 5 as well.

How many here actually like the character? We could have anyone. Some Spartan-II, Spartan-III, heck even a new character, one who is better written and can be used in the future, but we get Palmer.

What about Spartan-II's?

kylej

Banned
I don't think you're a plant or a huge phony, but I think you reflecting on your pre-release support of 343 by summarizing it as being "a bit overzealous" is like saying the sun is a bit warm.

But on the bright side you never posted anything close to this - http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=45561767&postcount=8189 - which is the written equivalent of fellating every male member of the 343 development team until their balls fall off then rimming their assholes until they suffer scurvy.

Windows 8 defense force in full swing. Note that with 8.1, boot to desktop, start button and the ability to reassign the start button to go to an "All Apps" screen, rather than the dontcallitMetro Start screen will all be added. Of course, just typing will search everything.

After Earth was abysmal.

Omni

Last bit of complaining and then I'm done, but why Palmer? She's a horribly written character that has earned the ire of a lot of fans. And they pushed her like crazy with Halo 4. Random cutscenes insulting Chief, her in the cinematic at the end when he walks past, her introducing us to War Games, and then Spartan Ops, being in our ear for most missions, and the cinematics.

And now we're getting a new comic based around her, a new game. I bet she'll be front and center for Halo 5 as well.

How many here actually like the character? We could have anyone. Some Spartan-II, Spartan-III, heck even a new character, one who is better written and can be used in the future, but we get Palmer.

What about Spartan-II's?
Her character isn't all that bad, IMO. It's just the whole egghead shit that we were pounded with in Spartan Ops (see the same thing that made Halsey work with the Elites and lose an arm below the gunshot wound). She didn't insult Chief at all, and I thought that was obvious. "I thought you'd be taller" was obviously joking.

Madness

Her character isn't all that bad, IMO. It's just the whole egghead shit that we were pounded with in Spartan Ops (see the same thing that made Halsey work with the Elites and lose an arm below the gunshot wound). She didn't insult Chief at all, and I thought that was obvious. "I thought you'd be taller" was obviously joking.

But that's what makes her bad. She's commander of all Spartans and yet is incessant in complaining, rude, dismissive and insulting. Exactly what I don't think of when I think Spartan.

And I know it wasn't a direct insult but here's a guy who literally has saved humanity, found after 5 years missing, who everyone owes their life to, and all she says is, thought you'd be taller. What? Is chief your friend? Have you met him before? Is that what someone like Linda or Keyes or Kat would say? etc.

If they want to go with a female protagonist, now would be a good time to come up with another one. A new Dare, Kat, Keyes type character.

A leader is like the one who was in Forward Unto Dawn, who would chide Lasky, the actress from Munich. That's who I think of when I think of a strong, competent leader. Sarah Palmer is like a poor caricature of Diz from Starship Troopers almost.

Windows 8 defense force in full swing. Note that with 8.1, boot to desktop, start button and the ability to reassign the start button to go to an "All Apps" screen, rather than the dontcallitMetro Start screen will all be added. Of course, just typing will search everything.

After Earth was abysmal.

People Stahp spending money on M Night films, that's how a studio somehow thinks it's a good idea to finance another stinker from that guy.

Madness

People Stahp spending money on M Night films, that's how a studio somehow thinks it's a good idea to finance another stinker from that guy.

I think too many people are throwing him under the bus. They're all saying it was his fault the film flopped. They hardly played up that he was making the film in the run up etc.

It was a story conceived by Will Smith, and he wanted M. Night to direct. But will cast his own son, scouted a lot of the locations and Gary whitta did most of the screenplay.

If anything, the studio financed it because of Will who wanted M. Night. I do think he makes shitty films. I loved Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs. But after the Village, I gave up. I saw Lady in the Water, didn't care for the rest.

Fuchsdh

To be fair I never even saw M. Night talked about until after the reviews started coming out. They clearly realized that he might sabotage his own film so they buried him thoroughly.

Personally I liked Lady in the Water, even though people give it crap, and the Village was fine for what it was. No excuse for The Last Airbender, obviously, and everything since.

I wonder what his career would have been like if Sixth Sense had merely been a mild success instead of the runaway hit. He got stuck in this "there's a twist" rut, then bitched at when he moved away from that, and then he's wandered into bad blockbuster territory.

As for Palmer: yeah, there's no doubt that Spartan Ops' weak writing in the first half of the season definitely turned people off. But I have no doubt they can't make the character more interesting.

As for playing as Palmer in the future games: why the hell not? Halo ultimately will have to move past the Chief and Cortana at some point.

I'm hopeful that Spartan Assault actually delivers on what looks like a sort of blend of Halo 3 and 4 visual continuity. I noticed classic Halo 3 AR sounds mixed with H4 plasma pistols, snipers, and shotguns, while the Wraiths definitely look more purple. I would also really like there to be some meaningful story hooks. Now's 343's chance to push past how Bungie limited Halo Wars.

I think too many people are throwing him under the bus. They're all saying it was his fault the film flopped. They hardly played up that he was making the film in the run up etc.

It was a story conceived by Will Smith, and he wanted M. Night to direct. But will cast his own son, scouted a lot of the locations and Gary whitta did most of the screenplay.

If anything, the studio financed it because of Will who wanted M. Night. I do think he makes shitty films. I loved Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs. But after the Village, I gave up. I saw Lady in the Water, didn't care for the rest.

Didn't know that, I guess that softens a bit, but doesn't really excuse it.

I think it's no mistake that you didn't really see his name attached to it in marketing, hasn't made a good film in a while and everyone knows it. Obviously, if you have Will Smith in your film, you're going to primarily use him in your marketing as well though.

GARY WHITTA
GARY WHITTA
GARY WHITTA
GARY WHITTA

I'll see it for Whitta

Gary Whitta has one other feature film writing credit and no TV writing credits. He's really a draw to you?

Will Smith >

To be fair I never even saw M. Night talked about until after the reviews started coming out. They clearly realized that he might sabotage his own film so they buried him thoroughly.

Personally I liked Lady in the Water, even though people give it crap, and the Village was fine for what it was. No excuse for The Last Airbender, obviously, and everything since.

I wonder what his career would have been like if Sixth Sense had merely been a mild success instead of the runaway hit. He got stuck in this "there's a twist" rut, then bitched at when he moved away from that, and then he's wandered into bad blockbuster territory.

As for Palmer: yeah, there's no doubt that Spartan Ops' weak writing in the first half of the season definitely turned people off. But I have no doubt they can't make the character more interesting.

As for playing as Palmer in the future games: why the hell not? Halo ultimately will have to move past the Chief and Cortana at some point.

I'm hopeful that Spartan Assault actually delivers on what looks like a sort of blend of Halo 3 and 4 visual continuity. I noticed classic Halo 3 AR sounds mixed with H4 plasma pistols, snipers, and shotguns, while the Wraiths definitely look more purple. I would also really like there to be some meaningful story hooks. Now's 343's chance to push past how Bungie limited Halo Wars.

Unbreakable? I loved that movie.

And agreed, I like your attitude.

I'm surprised they're releasing the Palmer game on a platform with no buttons.
LTTP, but you have killed me. My blood is on your hands.

Fuck. Inifity. CTF.
Fuck.
At the very least remove speed boost.
Fuck.

Even now, researchers around the world are working to make Shitonitis a thing of the past, but they need your help. With just one simple (Windows 8) phone call you could change the world. We are waiting for your pledge.

Madness

Her first scene with Chief turned me off, Spartan Ops just exacerbated it. Why would it matter if they make the character better, when people already dislike her?

Halo has moved past the Chief already. That wasn't my point. Think ODST and Reach. My point is, why make the star of the game, a character people hate? Let's make another protagonist here, someone that can start fresh and you can use later. Make her female if it makes any difference.

If we follow this Halsey story. How many fans like Halsey? How many fans like Palmer? How many will root for Palmer against Halsey?

I'm trying to think of another game where the main hero is disliked by a lot of people from the get go.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Didn't know that, I guess that softens a bit, but doesn't really excuse it.

I think it's no mistake that you didn't really see his name attached to it in marketing, hasn't made a good film in a while and everyone knows it. Obviously, if you have Will Smith in your film, you're going to primarily use him in your marketing as well though.

Gary Whitta has one other feature film writing credit and no TV writing credits. He's really a draw to you?

Gotta support GAF bruh

I'm about to delete any and all media pertaining to my Halo concepts off my hard drive save for a few UI mockups and weapon vectors! If you want something, let me know now!

Tawpgun

922879_113163035561637_1591644715_n.jpg

Ghazi

Shitonitis is something that has affected me in a personal way. I'll never be the same person I was 2 days ago after going -37 in an Infinity BTB match on Settler. In addition to my own suffering my good friends on GAF have to hear me complain about it every five minutes and do not hesitate to remind me of it and revel in squirming. Please, take this seriously, call us at 343-HALO because you too could stop someone from being shit on.

Hey if you want some UI work I might know some guys

orly now?

Btw, I had an upcoming idea on how to change up some of the Custom Game UI and was going to write an accompanying megapost, but this is about as far as I got. It might show up in a future pet project of mine but I didn't feel like letting this particular concept for a Halo UI die.

Click to enhugen. If anyone feels like playing around with all the layers I can host the PSD file somewhere.

wwm0nkey

orly now?

Btw, I had an upcoming idea on how to change up some of the Custom Game UI and was going to write an accompanying megapost, but this is about as far as I got. It might show up in a future pet project of mine but I didn't feel like letting this particular concept for a Halo UI die.

Click to enhugen. If anyone feels like playing around with all the layers I can host the PSD file somewhere.

Looks really nice, but yes I might be able to get you some UI work :)

Omni

So there's a rumour that the Nextbox will get a GPU clock downgrade. If it happens I'll seriously reconsider my stance on getting the console. The rumoured specs are already 33% weaker than the PS4's... I don't want to spend several hundred on a console and have it completely outclassed in three to four years time and be on the receiving end of shitty third party ports with missing features and shoddy performance.

New PS4 controller doesn't even look that bad I guess. Wouldn't take much to get used to.

I have to wonder what the hell MS are doing. Dat third console curse

Fotos

So there's a rumour that the Nextbox will get a GPU clock downgrade. If it happens I'll seriously reconsider my stance on getting the console. The rumoured specs are already 33% weaker than the PS4's... I don't want to spend several hundred on a console and have it completely outclassed in three to four years time and be on the receiving end of shitty third party ports with missing features and shoddy performance.

New PS4 controller doesn't even look that bad I guess. Wouldn't take much to get used to.

I have to wonder what the hell MS are doing. Dat third console curse

Juuuuust wait.

Where are people getting that this game looks like garbage? Some generic screenshots doesnt really tell you anything. This game might be fun.

wwm0nkey

Wahrer's Wacky Shit Finally Pays Off: Murder Miners to receive new UI? More at 11.

How do you know its for Murder Miners HUH!?...ok don't answer that actually....

They are also looking for competitive gamers feedback too and are currently working with Gandhi actually.

Nope, and I will continue to make fun of you every chance I get until I am no longer upset.

I played 2 with my nephew just yesterday and it's still awesome. Easily in the running for best game this gen. It's either the Galaxy's, LittleBigPlanet, or Dark Souls for me.

Omni

Isn't it funny how the music in Spartan Assault is more faithful than that in Halo 4? (talking about the "clear" trailer). Apparently Vanguard understands Halo more than 343i.

I hear monks. Sounds like they've used tracks from CEA or at least something similar. Whatever the case I like it a lot.

blamite

Isn't it funny how the music in Spartan Assault is more faithful than that in Halo 4? (talking about the "clear" trailer). Apparently Vanguard understands Halo more than 343i.

I hear monks. Sounds like they've used tracks from CEA or at least something similar.

I noticed that they're using the old weapon sound effects too. You'd think 343 would give them the updated stuff, right? But they are almost entirely using old Halo Wars assets so I guess that's why.

I'm not complaining though, the graphics look pretty nice for mobile and it's nice to see stuff like the wolverine and Grizzly again. It's about time that stuff gets folded into the mainline Halo series though. Vultures would fit in perfectly on the Infinity, for example.

I noticed that they're using the old weapon sound effects too. You'd think 343 would give them the updated stuff, right? But they are almost entirely using old Halo Wars assets so I guess that's why.

I'm not complaining though, the graphics look pretty nice for mobile and it's nice to see stuff like the wolverine and Grizzly again. It's about time that stuff gets folded into the mainline Halo series though. Vultures would fit in perfectly on the Infinity, for example.

I wonder if they started with the Halo Wars engine that Ensemble developed?

Why can't they use the monks at the end of the Halo 4 reveal, I think it was basically the last 20 seconds or so. Too awesome and really made it their own but still so very Halo. I love the OST2 music but the audio mixing in campaign was shite. Volume sliders for music, dialogue and effects are way overdue for Halo.

The dedicated server side of Azure could really provide some awesome BTB or multi factions/teams based gameplay in next gen Halo multiplayer. As you say they already have all the assets and expansion from Halo Wars. Imagine even 32v32 or 64v64 with all those vehicles and a staged invasion gametype mixed with the dominion possession/kill enemy early to win the game early. Could be pure gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom