• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Guy on gaming side complains about Last Of Us reviews spoiling the game, spoils it in OP.

You can't write this shit.

kylej

Banned
He's heading back to Texas which means he's probably working at Certain Affinity which means he's going to work on Halo 5 so I don't see how it's a farewell

CA's output has been pretty poor since... reach? I'd rather they setup a in house team who understand what made maps like Midship and Lockout so good.

Whos Gustavo? Hire Juices.

He's been with 343i since 2011 already and has a solid gaming industry history, here's an extract from his LinkedIn profile:

Senior Artist
Microsoft - 343 Industries
March 2011 – Present (2 years 4 months)
Titles: Halo 4

Lead Multiplayer Designer
Raven Software
August 2007 – March 2011 (3 years 8 months)
Titles: Singularity

Lead Environment Artist
Raven Software
Titles: Wolverine: Uncaged

Lead Environment Artist
Electronic Arts
April 2005 – May 2007 (2 years 2 months)
Titles: Def Jam: Icon

Lead Environment Artist
Sony (SCEA Santa Monica)
February 2003 – April 2005 (2 years 3 months)
Titles: God of War

Environment Artist
Atari Games (Midway West)
1999 – 2003 (4 years)
Titles: Dr. Muto, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Rush HotRods, Gauntlet Legends

Woorloog

Banned
He's been with 343i since 2011 already and has a solid gaming industry history, here's an extract from his LinkedIn profile:

Lead Multiplayer Designer
Raven Software
Titles: Singularity

From Lead Environment Artist to Lead MP designer? I understand the leadership skill required. But from artist to multiplayer designer?
Just finding that odd, though perhaps this stuff is not uncommon in video game industry? I reckon people pick up more skills than just their specialty.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
From Lead Environment Artist to Lead MP designer? I understand the leadership skill required. But from artist to multiplayer designer?
Just finding that odd, though perhaps this stuff is not uncommon in video game industry? I reckon people pick up more skills than just their specialty.

At some studios the environment artists also act as level designers. More common than you think.

Ghazi

I want to give in to TLOU hype so much but I'm not willing to let myself get burned if it ends up turning out bad.

Woorloog

Banned
At some studios the environment artists also act as level designers. More common than you think.

Ah. Makes sense.
And if one is a level designer, understanding MP design is required. Combine with leadership skill required to be Environmental Lead... Yeah, makes sense.

Just took a look at it.

Its just a picture of 343 celebrating popping champagne. Up on their "mainstage" screen is a browser looking at 6th place Live weekly activity that just came out.

Funny story I was listening to sports radio today on my way to work and some dude who made a call said "wallowing in mediocrity" and I laughed.

Madness

But reading the waypoint post, it said he was responsible for Haven, probably the best launch map that came with Halo 4, so it's kind of a loss for 343.

I know people given Josh, Kevin and others a hard time, but judging by their LinkedIn and other sources, it seems like they are some of the more talent people at the studio with experience that goes back to the 90's.

I've always said someone like a Lorraine McLees, John Howard or Marcus Lehto should be running a company like 343, not corporate MS workers.

Here's a random thought:

I was just thinking about Plywood's post earlier about a F2P Halo, and I think that would be a great idea... If executed correctly.

Just copy/paste Halo 2 multiplayer, but only with maps (from any Halo game) suited for 4v4 slayer and objective gametypes.. and BAM! You got yourself a great F2P game.

TCKaos

I've talked to some guys where this is more or less their process, and I always think it's interesting. If you get an amazing designer you can always feel his touch in every level - like the signature feature of a fantastic series of paintings.

Ramirez

He's heading back to Texas which means he's probably working at Certain Affinity which means he's going to work on Halo 5 so I don't see how it's a farewell

Hopefully he's going back to Retro to work on the next Metroid.

Prime had brilliant level design, but I didn't really feel like he transitioned over to MP level design too well. All of 4's maps are pretty bad, barring Haven, and the stock version of it was absolutely god awful with landmark callouts.

Tunavi

Banned
Here's a random thought:

I was just thinking about Plywood's post earlier about a F2P Halo, and I think that would be a great idea... If executed correctly.

Just copy/paste Halo 2 multiplayer, but only with maps (from any Halo game) suited for 4v4 slayer and objective gametypes.. and BAM! You got yourself a great F2P game.
Great now monetize it with a business plan that can earn you $300 million back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom