• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.
E3 will have some sort of Halo game news (not just Spartan Assault). They wouldn't launch a new console without at least teasing a Halo game for it.

If I'm wrong then WTF Microsoft.

Halo 2 HD is my guess for the launch Halo game for Xbox One, if there is one.

Would buy Halo 2 HD, would not buy Halo 4 Redone, would buy Halo 5, would consider Halo Wars 2, would buy Halo 4:ODST.

wwm0nkey

That series is awesome. Just caught up with the manga and it's pretty cool.

It seems to be attracting a lot of non anime fans too. I heard the manga sold another 8 mil ontop of the 10 mil it got before the anime came out.

Any of y'all get state of decay? I want to get it but it seemed kinda janky and expensive.

It is janky but its one of the best zombie games I have played, it also continues while you are offline so if you get it, DO NOT leave the game if anyone is sad or angry because you can come back and they might have offed themselves and a few others.

The fact that each unit comes with a headset now is a set up from the Xbox One using kinect as mics.

They REALLY need a third new iPhone-styled button on the controller for Kinect. Hold it down to activate voice recognition; voice recognition is only active when you use the button.

TCKaos

It seems to be attracting a lot of non anime fans too. I heard the manga sold another 8 mil ontop of the 10 mil it got before the anime came out.

It was actually beating Bleach in sales at one point.

They REALLY need a third new iPhone-styled button on the controller for Kinect. Hold it down to activate voice recognition; voice recognition is only active when you use the button.

But then what about the free analytics? We can't spy on everyone and gauge their reactions if we have to push a button.

Anyone who doesn't express equal dissatisfaction if Sony announces the same used game system as Microsoft should get perm'd. Those are the squares that need to be culled. I'm all for the MS dog pile right now, but if Sony does it too they better get equal shit for it. Leaving it up to the publishers (who are admittedly the ones pushing for this shit in the first place) means nothing.

I'm speaking strictly of the more vocal Xbox One protestors. If you don't care about it then whatever.

Damn bish really set speedy straight

I always posted positive and negatives for both and really have said before in posts where I defended the Xbox One that I'm against the DRM and Always Online and would prefer a system without them, but I'll just accept it.

Now I'm just trying even better to show that I AM against these things, so I don't confuse anymore GAFfers into thinking I'm not.

and I've been planning on buying the PS4 since it was announced, I'm getting both the Xbox One and PS4 at launch.

One for Forza and Halo, and another for Naughty Dogs eventual (and fantastic) game and Destiny.

Anyone who doesn't express equal dissatisfaction if Sony announces the same used game system as Microsoft should get perm'd. Those are the squares that need to be culled. I'm all for the MS dog pile right now, but if Sony does it too they better get equal shit for it. Leaving it up to the publishers (who are admittedly the ones pushing for this shit in the first place) means nothing.

Seriously.

So far the list that I can think of of publishers who MIGHT not use DRM on Sony's platform (if they do allow it to be up to the publisher) is:

Take Two
Deep Silver
Sega? (Has any Sega game required an Online Pass?)

Konami uses an online pass for PES, so they're out. Anyone else I'm missing?

Any of you special people want the Serious Sam Humble Bundle?

I've got a spare gift copy to give away, so PM if you'd like it. Bundle is basically every Serious Sam game ever.

EDIT: Aaaannnndddd it's gone.

The big thing with DRM is once its about a year and a half in and CoD is still selling millions using it along side FIFA, Need for Speed, Assassins Creed etc It's going to be impossible for anyone to make a reasonable argument to Publishers that it should not be in the games.

All these super community focused smaller devs people praise are going to follow suit reluctantly or not.

It's just the way the medium is heading. On a personal level I simply don't care. I can understand why people do and I'm not so arrogant as to say its wrong that they do but all this #NoDRM stuff and "I'll just boycott" is kind of on the silly side. Like people have said Steam does many of these practices and just because people "don't expect to be able to trade in PC titles" some how its more acceptable.

Now granted PC gaming is cheaper on a game to game basis and It's unlikely that either MS or Sony are going to start doing Steam type sales so PC gaming is looking more attractive.

In a few years or less most won't care about DRM it will just be part of day to day gaming. The internet loves to whip itself into a frenzy over these things. Ultimately what MS are doing with the Xbox One is not that problematic. My only real issue is having to Sync every 24 hours. I think 2-3 Days would be fine.

Publishers have been wanting these features for years, Project $10 was basically the start of it and DRM has been a result of it. You can't as a company tell these content providers to "Get Fucked" so what other option do you have. The consumer are mostly sheep most don't know and when they find out they don't care.

"Can I give my 12 year old ADD kid the new call of duty and get him to shut up while I read 50 shades and drink cheap wine?"
"Do you have the internet?"
"Of course its not 1994"
"£40 please ma'am"
"Thanks"

The hardcore are small and relatively unimportant.

Tawpgun

The big thing with DRM is once its about a year and a half in and CoD is still selling millions using it along side FIFA, Need for Speed, Assassins Creed etc It's going to be impossible for anyone to make a reasonable argument to Publishers that it should not be in the games.

All these super community focused smaller devs people praise are going to follow suit reluctantly or not.

It's just the way the medium is heading. On a personal level I simply don't care. I can understand why people do and I'm not so arrogant as to say its wrong that they do but all this #NoDRM stuff and "I'll just boycott" is kind of on the silly side. Like people have said Steam does many of these practices and just because people "don't expect to be able to trade in PC titles" some how its more acceptable.

Now granted PC gaming is cheaper on a game to game basis and It's unlikely that either MS or Sony are going to start doing Steam type sales so PC gaming is looking more attractive.

In a few years or less most won't care about DRM it will just be part of day to day gaming. The internet loves to whip itself into a frenzy over these things. Ultimately what MS are doing with the Xbox One is not that problematic. My only real issue is having to Sync every 24 hours. I think 2-3 Days would be fine.

Publishers have been wanting these features for years, Project $10 was basically the start of it and DRM has been a result of it. You can't as a company tell these content providers to "Get Fucked" so what other option do you have. The consumer are mostly sheep most don't know and when they find out they don't care.

"Can I give my 12 year old ADD kid the new call of duty and get him to shut up while I read 50 shades and drink cheap wine?"
"Do you have the internet?"
"Of course its not 1994"
"£40 please ma'am"
"Thanks"

The hardcore are small and relatively unimportant.
Don't underestimate the vocal minority. Vocal minority being pissed at something will generate a lot of negative press, which is what the Xbox is getting now.

So when the parent or non gaming follower is trying to choose "hmm, lets google this" and boom ton of negative xb1 shit. None for ps4 (yet)

Don't underestimate the vocal minority. Vocal minority being pissed at something will generate a lot of negative press, which is what the Xbox is getting now.

So when the parent or non gaming follower is trying to choose "hmm, lets google this" and boom ton of negative xb1 shit. None for ps4 (yet)

Let's not forget that there is valid point in that while being the target (and largest) market for Xbox, the US has a serious broadband internet availability problem. I just looked it up and while I have access to 100Mbps cable, only 56% of my county has access of any kind, let alone what I have at home. Even Albuquerque's Bernalillo county has 10% without any access, and that's a big city.

Maybe 5 or so years down the line, it might be viable, but there are many people being left out at this point. The coasts and whatnot are probably ok, but a portion of the country is boned.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't doubt a similar used game system for PS4, but I'm hoping they're a bit more sane regarding the 24 hour check in.

If Sony leaves such systems purely on publishers shoulders... Well, that would be great.
But yeah, hard not to believe they won't have something similar.

Madness

If Sony goes the same route, it's Xbox One for me then, day one. They'd be fools not to note the goodwill they are receiving at Microsoft's expense.

And after reading a few articles on how the big three publishers are the ones pushing for this used games DRM and 24 hour anti-piracy/data collection checks, I'm inclined to believe Sony will do the same.

I'm just sad at how quick people are to give up their consumer rights because of perceived brand loyalty. There is no going back from this. And for some reason people try to justify this as a good thing for gamers.

It all depends on E3 and what is announced. What the price is, what the final specs are.

Omni

I still think that MS has implemented these features a generation early (mainly digital authentication.. Which is convenient in that you don't need to change discs every time, but not that you might alienate people without stable connections). Probably should have played it safe with the X1 maybe... The amount of backlash is immense.

Madness

Damn Speedy, you better thank Stalker even more. You're the only one who got unbanned. The others were just normal junior posters like you too, meaning there was not really an indication they weren't fanboys either. This was the Bish cull yest lol.

I still think that MS has implemented these features a generation early (mainly digital authentication.. Which is convenient in that you don't need to change discs every time, but not that you might alienate people without stable connections). Probably should have played it safe with the X1 maybe... The amount of backlash is immense.

Should have just gone 100% digital.

Let's not forget that there is valid point in that while being the target (and largest) market for Xbox, the US has a serious broadband internet availability problem. I just looked it up and while I have access to 100Mbps cable, only 56% of my county has access of any kind, let alone what I have at home. Even Albuquerque's Bernalillo county has 10% without any access, and that's a big city.

Maybe 5 or so years down the line, it might be viable, but there are many people being left out at this point. The coasts and whatnot are probably ok, but a portion of the country is boned.

While these stats are true, they aren't directly applicable to the bone. Sure, people will have issues with their internet, but MS is selling an expensive piece of hardware to people who more likely than not have good to very good internet. Also, they seem to be partnered, or at least working closely, with Verizon and xfinity (read: instant streaming video apps). I'm sure they are confident it will work out. Their customer base is only getting more and more connected as times goes by.

While these stats are true, they aren't directly applicable to the bone. Sure, people will have issues with their internet, but MS is selling an expensive piece of hardware to people who more likely than not have good to very good internet. Also, they seem to be partnered, or at least working closely, with Verizon and xfinity (read: instant streaming video apps). I'm sure they are confident it will work out. Their customer base is only getting more and more connected as times goes by.

Those are the only people that will be buying an Xbox One. It's too soon for a console of this nature. Like I've said before, when you've had to deal with a shitty Internet connection always online is a huge turn off. Internet was out for 72hours on regular occurrences last fall at school in ND. My teammates and I were pissed when we couldn't play together or online, but at least we could still play.

I mostly go for Nintendo handhelds and MS consoles. I'll probably only get a One this gen (Sony's exclusive IPs don't appeal to me enough to bother nabbing a console) but not until it has a Slim version with a 750-1TB hard drive.

Tawpgun

People at college still get fucked if they live in dorms. I know that UCONN doesn't allow for consoles to connect to the school internet in some dorms as my tour guide told me when I visited.

Also... How the fuck are LANs going to work? Have they got into that?

Blinding

They haven't touched on it but I wouldn't be surprised if there was no traditional LAN support. They'll probably allow local console to connect but still have the "have to connect to the internet once every 24 hours/every hour if not on home console" requirement, which is going to make how large LAN operators like MLG react interesting.

People at college still get fucked if they live in dorms. I know that UCONN doesn't allow for consoles to connect to the school internet in some dorms as my tour guide told me when I visited.

Yeah, of course, dude!

"Why would I ever live there?"

TCKaos

I'm sure they are confident it will work out.

I'm sure they are, but they're almost literally the only ones. The entire center of America to the immediate west of the Mississippi is a barren wasteland where the only internet is provided via paper cups and yarn until you hit California. The entire midwest will be left unable to play the Xbox One because they have extreme data caps and no reliable internet access. That's a fifth of the entire United States of America.

Constant internet requirements means that ALG and MLG will completely drop Microsoft games because there simply isn't enough money in them to justify restricting tournament venues to places with constant and quality internet. Starcraft II was at least popular enough globally to make the competitive scene begrudgingly accept no LAN play, but for Halo? Gears of War? They're going away, never to be seen again. Call of Duty is the most popular FPS in the MLG and it's available on Sony consoles as well (and even the Wii U, but let's not jump ship yet). Fighting game tournaments will be held exclusively on Sony consoles. Virgin Games' shamble of a tournament will become the face of competitive play for Microsoft, where to have a chance of competing you have to have no job and play for so many hours consecutively that you actually cause yourself bodily harm through sleep deprivation and dehydration.

Tawpgun

Hahahaha. Imagine convention centers, what the fuck are they gonna do? Plug them into the net once a day at PAX?

1 hour time limit. Make it quick.

Also glad to see a fellow dorm dweller who understands how shitty that whole situation is.

I don't go to UCONN. And not living in a dorm anymore. Did so my first and second year. My school allows internet, you just have to register the console with the school.

At this rate MS should just ship each Xbox One with a built in 3G connection to verify game ownership should internet go down/not be available.

I had never seen the large version of this pic. So good!

Imagine Halo 2 ending like this. You fight through the Forerunner Dreadnought. The final cutscene is Chief amid dozens of dead Covenant.

Chief on Radio - "This is Spartan 117 can anyone read me, over?"
Hood - Master Chief, do you mind telling me what you are doing aboard that ship?'
Chief - "Sir, finishing this fight."

Cutscene - A huge wave of Covenant approaches and he sprints for the nearest airlock. Shows Chief ripping the door off straight out off its holdings. He ejects himself from the ship. The final scene is Chief shown in this image. He flies straight into the camera and it cuts to black.

That would have been awesome. /dream

Imagine controlling MC as he Spacedived down to earth.. it would have been an awesome way to end the game (or better, to begin Halo 3).

Heh. LAN is likely going to be a casualty caught in the crossfire of always on DRM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom