• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutter

Yeah perhaps its not "exactly" like Steam. But I have a question for you all, why is it so hard to believe that MS can have these "sales" like Steam does? I do agree that PC games allow for modding and a whole world of shit, but the in direct comparison to DRM, it has been on the PC since as Therms said the 90's. And I already said I do not agree with the 24hour check-in. Though with that said, if you do not want to support it then do not buy it, but if you want to play some of its games, then all of this crying wont stop this from becoming the norm next generation.

The biggest games in the world at the moment are all always online, but that isn't me defending the DRM, its me saying gaming as a whole is moving towards that model.

Tawpgun

Yeah perhaps its not "exactly" like Steam. But I have a question for you all, why is it so hard to believe that MS can have these "sales" like Steam does? I do agree that PC games allow for modding and a whole world of shit, but the in direct comparison to DRM, it has been on the PC since as Therms said the 90's. And I already said I do not agree with the 24hour check-in. Though with that said, if you do not want to support it then do not buy it, but if you want to play some of its games, then all of this crying wont stop this from becoming the norm next generation.

The biggest games in the world at the moment are all always online, but that isn't me defending the DRM, its me saying gaming as a whole is moving towards that model.

Their history. They're not exactly known for it... Kind of known for the opposite actually.

It'd be awesome if they had some really awesome deals that were comparable to Steam. And as frequently as Steam does it.

TCKaos

But I have a question for you all, why is it so hard to believe that MS can have these "sales" like Steam does?

Original post in Halo |OT17|. It's actually in response to one of your posts.

That's because most digital download venues price their games competitively instead of charging $60 for ODST or $40 for UMvC3. Gabe Newell on game pricing. A quality product at a lower price will bring you exponentially more money than a piece of dogshit at full price. That's why I almost never buy games new anymore, and if I do, it's well after the fact unless under specific circumstances (Halo, for instance).

If the Games on Demand service is any indicator, we can expect extremely high prices for incredibly old or shitty games. Dead Rising is 19.99 on the Games on Demand service, 9.99 new on Amazon and 4.99 used at Gamestop. Batman: Arkham Asylum (standard edition) is 29.99 on the Games on Demand service, where the Game of the Year Edition is 19.99 on Steam, 15.99 on Amazon and 19.99 at Gamestop. The first Bioshock is 19.99 on Games on Demand, but I bought it for $5 at Target during a sale and again later as part of the Desert to Sea bundle for 9.99 which includes Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Spec-Ops: The Line.

You can't expect me to pick up Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Spec-Ops: The Line for 3.33 apiece and then buy Bomberman: Act Zero for 19.99. That's insane.

kylej

Banned
bahaha
1vgjEei.gif
1vgjEei.gif
1vgjEei.gif
1vgjEei.gif
1vgjEei.gif

Damn Speedy, you better thank Stalker even more. You're the only one who got unbanned. The others were just normal junior posters like you too, meaning there was not really an indication they weren't fanboys either. This was the Bish cull yest lol.

Wow. I'm even more grateful then. Seriously, thanks a lot Stalker! and I still appreciate that most of you guys were positive about me :p

I'm still so happy that I'll get to experience E3 on GAF, sounds like it's fun!

Also, One week away from The Last Of Us releasing! Who's buying it? and who wants to play multiplayer? I don't use my PS3 much, but I'm totally using it the entire next week to play TLoU, and since I don't use my PS3, I don't have any friends on it. :( Who wants to add me?

My PSN is

Speedy_Blue_Dude if anyone wants to add more (and or give me your PSN and I'll add you!)

Booshka

I actually hope there is a Xbox One version of Halo 4 released that runs at 60 FPS and is cross platform with the peasants on 360 struggling to hit 30 FPS. Then maybe when 360 players are getting royally shit on by the 60 FPS glorious master race people like Tashi will realize how much better it makes FPS and action games in general play.

Shadowrun is proof, I play it on 360 at 30 FPS and do well, but I plug in a controller to my PC and play the same game at 60 FPS and I become a God, going huge every game.

You feel more in tune with your actions and can process the action much faster and react quicker because of the higher framerate, it directly effects your gameplay.

I actually hope there is a Xbox One version of Halo 4 released that runs at 60 FPS and is cross platform with the peasants on 360 struggling to hit 30 FPS. Then maybe when 360 players are getting royally shit on by the 60 FPS glorious master race people like Tashi will realize how much better it makes FPS and action games in general play.

Shadowrun is proof, I play it on 360 at 30 FPS and do well, but I plug in a controller to my PC and play the same game at 60 FPS and I become a God, going huge every game.

You feel more in tune with your actions and can process the action much faster and react quicker because of the higher framerate, it directly effects your gameplay.

yep!!!! 60>30. 60 FPS better be the standard for next gen competitive shooters. 30 is fine for single player though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Do you get where I'm coming from though?

Omni

I'd much prefer a pretty game than one that runs at 60fps. Different on PC obviously, but if a game can hold a stable 30fps on consoles while looking great, I'm satisfied.

Booshka

Do you get where I'm coming from though?

Of course, it's the typical console gaming complacency.

"I'm used to it, so I don't really care, sure it could be better, but I'm fine with how it's always been."

I've been playing Halo for over a decade at 30 FPS too, but I have always wanted it to be at 60 FPS. I have accepted it because I accepted the reasoning behind the hardware limitation, but that shouldn't be a problem anymore. Also, because of CoD's wild success and their steadfast dedication to remaining at 60 FPS, it obviously means something even to the millions of gamers that couldn't tell you why it is better.

60 FPS is a must for Action games next gen, full stop. Accepting any less is asinine and stupid. Graphics are good enough, make that shit run and play like a dream and no one will care if some 30 FPS cinematic snooze fest looks better.

How successful do you think a Halo F2P game would be?

Let's assume you had to buy EVERYTHING aside from the default armor, and the default color (probably brown/another underused/unappealing color) and an AR, and a default emblem+emblem background.

Game launches with 5 multiplayer maps, and the maps+weapons+armor+emblems are updated as the game makes more money.

All prices are small and reasonable, most expensive items go is $1, to keep players into impulse buying and even thinking they're not spending much.

Players have to buy Weapons (AR default/on map pick up, the weapons you buy are weapons you can spawn with)

Weapons that are purchasable are the BR, DMR, Carbine, and a covenant/forerunner automatic and rifle. Weapons are $1.

Colors are $1 for both a Primary and Secondary color.

Emblems are $1 for a foreground and background.

Armor Effects are $1 each.

Visor colors are $1 each.

Shoulders are $1 for both left and right.

Helmets are $1 each.

Chest are $1.

etc

Do you think the game would make mass amount of profits for Microsoft? Let's consider that each game that downloads to play this lower budget Halo game will probably spend around $10 just to start off and customize their spartan to their liking, and the purchases would increase as new weapons/armor they like are added.

wwm0nkey

How successful do you think a Halo F2P game would be?

Let's assume you had to buy EVERYTHING aside from the default armor, and the default color (probably brown/another underused/unappealing color) and an AR, and a default emblem+emblem background.

Game launches with 5 multiplayer maps, and the maps+weapons+armor+emblems are updated as the game makes more money.

All prices are small and reasonable, most expensive items go is $1, to keep players into impulse buying and even thinking they're not spending much.

Players have to buy Weapons (AR default/on map pick up, the weapons you buy are weapons you can spawn with)

Weapons that are purchasable are the BR, DMR, Carbine, and a covenant/forerunner automatic and rifle. Weapons are $1.

Colors are $1 for both a Primary and Secondary color.

Emblems are $1 for a foreground and background.

Armor Effects are $1 each.

Visor colors are $1 each.

Shoulders are $1 for both left and right.

Helmets are $1 each.

Chest are $1.

etc

Do you think the game would make mass amount of profits for Microsoft? Let's consider that each game that downloads to play this lower budget Halo game will probably spend around $10 just to start off and customize their spartan to their liking, and the purchases would increase as new weapons/armor they like are added.

NO to buying weapons it is the biggest load of bullshit a F2P game can pull, have them buy skins, its a much better option and it doesn't imbalance the game. Also it should be like TF2 with the loot system and ect as well.

NO to buying weapons it is the biggest load of bullshit a F2P game can pull, have them buy skins, its a much better option and it doesn't imbalance the game. Also it should be like TF2 with the loot system and ect as well.

When I say buying weapons, I mean limit it to okay balanced weapons. No Snipers/Shotguns/Rockets/Lasers/ anything considered a power weapon.

The BR and DMR and Carbine etc would all also be available as an on the map pick up, and you can still pick them up off an enemies body. Plus the AR will be able to hold it's own against the BR/DMR. Just paying $1 for them gives you access to spawn with the weapons and avoid the trouble of having to search for one in game.

EDIT: But actually, buying skins would probably earn more money then having to buy the weapons. Or both lol. You have to buy the weapon to buy the skin, and after you buy the weapon you can buy any skin you want for a $1.

Booshka

Biggest problem with F2P Halo is it would actually have to be good to make money. Player population would have to stay and pay for all that shit to make money.

Better to make mediocre Halo games and charge 60 bucks upfront for that guaranteed money. If the player population falls off a cliff, who gives a shit; just make another sequel and throw marketing money behind it to get those initial $60 sales that you can brag about in press releases.

The really successful F2P games actually have to be really good and well supported post launch, something the Halo series has never actually done.

wwm0nkey

When I say buying weapons, I mean limit it to okay balanced weapons. No Snipers/Shotguns/Rockets/Lasers/ anything considered a power weapon.

The BR and DMR and Carbine etc would all also be available as an on the map pick up, and you can still pick them up off an enemies body. Plus the AR will be able to hold it's own against the BR/DMR. Just paying $1 for them gives you access to spawn with the weapons and avoid the trouble of having to search for one in game.

EDIT: But actually, buying skins would probably earn more money then having to buy the weapons. Or both lol. You have to buy the weapon to buy the skin, and after you buy the weapon you can buy any skin you want for a $1.
You would probably sell more skins by having all weapons. Weapons should NEVER be locked behind a pay wall no matter what, only cosmetics. PSO2 and several F2P titles have learned this lesson.

Seriously just have cosmetic only items and XP boost and you are fine.

Buying one of these right now. Which of these sexy shirts should I go with?

Love the simplicity and color of the first one.

41H1eYfZgPL._SL320_.jpg

REALLY love the color on this one. Plus the Tricolor and Destiny logo look sexy here. Such a nice vibrant shirt.

41nxe5vfEQL._SL320_.jpg

Again, love the symbol and color in this one.
412myzYJhpL._SL320_.jpg

Red looks nice, symbol not so much. Tricorn and Destiny logo stand out a lot though, love that.
41JCzHEHyfL._SL320_.jpg

Love the Tricorn and simplicity of this one.
41iIjKJfnFL._SL320_.jpg

Like the red Tricorn and Destiny logo for this one... that's it.
41N5XYdEwkL._SL320_.jpg

Adore the green, symbol is nice, the Tricorn and Destiny logo are beautiful here. Love the Legend of Zelda like colors.
411HnN28rhL._SL320_.jpg

Just an awesome shirt. Love the dark black with simple white to match.
31wkKKnwgYL._SL320_.jpg

Here's the link if any of you guys want to buy any of the Destiny shirts.

http://www.bungiestore.com/category/78922128941/1/E3-Collection.htm

They're all pretty nice. Can only buy one for now, plan to buy another 2 on Thursday.

EDIT: Oh, apparently these are all Pre-Orders. Guess I'll still buy and pre-order one :p Doesn't change anything, just that I won't have it shipped to me until Monday.

blamite

The Wizard shit is cool but I'm not a fan of the diagonal grid background pattern thing.

I like that Destiny has a lot of triangles. Triangles are cool.

All of those shirts are ugly.

And that picture looks boring. Whatever happened to colour?
Color, you asked?
Pretty colorful if you ask me!

I want that hunter shirt. Gimme daaat
Hunter is the less appealing for me. Prefer Warlock, Titan, Vanguard much more. Guess I will get Warlock, Titan and Vanguard.
The Wizard shit is cool but I'm not a fan of the diagonal grid background pattern thing.

I like that Destiny has a lot of triangles. Triangles are cool.
I missing hexagons. It's the future! Did the entertainment industry teach us that the future is about hexagons?

Tunavi

Banned
help me holagaf you're my only hope.

I have a commission based door to door sales job and it's ~60 hours a week, the pay is shit, it blows, I'm a slave etc.

Do I quit now or find another job first.

I have a commission based door to door sales job and it's ~60 hours a week, the pay is shit, it blows, I'm a slave etc.

Depends entirely on your situation. Being unemployed potentially long term is a terrible position to be in if you can't support yourself (or be supported) by any other means. I'm currently job hunting like crazy in hopes I'll be able to finance next gen and live day to day without worrying about how I'm going to pay bill X or feed myself.

They job might be really terrible but the freedom it grants you is worth it in my opinion.

I'd stay and look for work while you're in that position.

Welcome to the real world. Tuna. Drop out go pro? Do you have problems taking off your clothes for money? MFC?

Where do you live?

Also so whats up with Trendy? We knew that dude from there didnt we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom