• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Damn I'm conflicted though... Don't know what to get now. When push comes to shove, the anti-consumer policies don't affect me personally. What I hated most was paying for sub-par Xbox Live. I hate paying for it. It always been a damn waste to me. It's the one thing I hoped Sony wouldn't do.

But now that Sony has, I'd rather stay on the superior Microsoft ecosystem.

Controller wise, always hated the DualShock since the psx days. Sole reason I was never excited for ps2 and instead went gamecube/xbox. I can already tell I'd prefer the XbOne controller, but I'll have to hold both at store to decide.

Looks wise, I loved the way XbOne looks. Very industrial and utilitarian. Like an old school VHS player or receiver. I thought PS4 would be great, but it's some weird ass slant.

Price wise, Sony has XbOne beat. It's nearly $100 dollars cheaper. But if you factor in that Xbox One comes with Kinect and a free year of Live, you see the price discrepancy. Just to game with PS4, you'd be looking at about $459 once you get the PSN subscription.

Games wise, Microsoft again. TitanFall looks great. Especially to start off a new generation of multiplayer. Fast paced, attack and defend type gameplay with mechs. I love Dead Rising, one of my fave games for Xbox 360. While it looks too dark and has that next gen brown/yellow and devoid of color, the scope is amazing. Open world LA gameplay with quick customization of weapons etc. Plus next gen Halo, dedicated servers, 60 FPS, and the hiring of key guys means they are going to have a decent multiplayer suite. I've liked almost all changes to Halo 4 since launch. Don't really care much for Obi-Wan Chief or the dumb story though.

Hardware wise, Sony wins. It seems to be a pretty big discrepancy and I can already see the gap widen within two years for ports or mlutiplatforms. Plus, no online authentication, no used games DRM etc.

I'm thinking XbOne at launch to hold me over until at least 2014ish before I pick up ps4 as well.

Pop

Some of you guys are so hung up on Halo it's ridiculous. Halos been dead for years now. Classic gameplay isn't coming back and please embrace ADS. Cause you know that's going to happen. Can't believe some of you guys are supporting such policies on the Xbone, just terrible. And Live over PS+ hahaha

$5 a month for PS+ with a hell of a lot more additions that come with it than Live.

Destiny looked stunning. Bungie will add competitive mutiplayer but enjoy 343's Halo.

Damn I'm conflicted though... Don't know what to get now. When push comes to shove, the anti-consumer policies don't affect me personally. What I hated most was paying for sub-par Xbox Live. I hate paying for it. It always been a damn waste to me. It's the one thing I hoped Sony wouldn't do.

But now that Sony has, I'd rather stay on the superior Microsoft ecosystem.

Controller wise, always hated the DualShock since the psx days. Sole reason I was never excited for ps2 and instead went gamecube/xbox. I can already tell I'd prefer the XbOne controller, but I'll have to hold both at store to decide.

Looks wise, I loved the way XbOne looks. Very industrial and utilitarian. Like an old school VHS player or receiver. I thought PS4 would be great, but it's some weird ass slant.

Price wise, Sony has XbOne beat. It's nearly $100 dollars cheaper. But if you factor in that Xbox One comes with Kinect and a free year of Live, you see the price discrepancy. Just to game with PS4, you'd be looking at about $459 once you get the PSN subscription.

Games wise, Microsoft again. TitanFall looks great. Especially to start off a new generation of multiplayer. Fast paced, attack and defend type gameplay with mechs. I love Dead Rising, one of my fave games for Xbox 360. While it looks too dark and has that next gen brown/yellow and devoid of color, the scope is amazing. Open world LA gameplay with quick customization of weapons etc. Plus next gen Halo, dedicated servers, 60 FPS, and the hiring of key guys means they are going to have a decent multiplayer suite. I've liked almost all changes to Halo 4 since launch. Don't really care much for Obi-Wan Chief or the dumb story though.

Hardware wise, Sony wins. It seems to be a pretty big discrepancy and I can already see the gap widen within two years for ports or mlutiplatforms. Plus, no online authentication, no used games DRM etc.

I'm thinking XbOne at launch to hold me over until at least 2014ish before I pick up ps4 as well.
Just buy both whenever you can. :) Get the one you want the most now, and pick up the one you want later, either whenever you saved for it or when a game you want comes out.

If you want an Xbox One for Halo, don't buy the Xbox One till 2014. Buy it when Halo 5 comes out, and most likely after a price-drop and with Halo bundled in. Buy a PS4 this year and just save for the Xbox One while you wait for a game you want.

If you want a PS4, but are attracted by the games Xbox One has, buy the Xbox One now and buy the PS4 later after you have money too, or after a game you want comes out.

Buy both and let the gamer inside of you be happy because you own 2 awesome systems that'll play awesome games.

It's what I'm doing. :p

EDIT: I'm still salty about the Xbox One not coming with a headset.

Madness

Some of you guys are so hung up on Halo it's ridiculous. Halos been dead for years now. Classic gameplay isn't coming back and please embrace ADS. Cause you know that's going to happen. Can't believe some of you guys are supporting such policies on the Xbone, just terrible. And Live over PS+ hahaha

$5 a month for PS+ with a hell of a lot more additions that come with it than Live.

Destiny looked stunning. Bungie will add competitive mutiplayer but enjoy 343's Halo.

They wouldn't use ADS, that would completely change the gameplay and the game would be dead on arrival by Halo fans right away.

I hate Live too, especially in Canada where we got a fraction of what the US got for a long time. But I think this is the time where Live will actually show Microsoft superiority here, especially with the use of their servers etc.

$5 a month for PS+ still comes to the same as a year of Live. That's why I'm disappointed. If Sony had kept their system the way it is now, with free online for those who want to game, and a paying service for online twitch steaming, movie and music, Netflix whatever, I'd have pre-order PS4 today.

It's the one thing I didn't want. I hated it over these 7+ years of Xbox 360 having to pay just to play.

Madness

Sorry for double post, but just for our own purposes, have any of HaloGAF made up their mind for what they're getting at launch? Or both? Or none?

For me, it seems XbOne most likely at launch, with ps4 a year later etc.

Booshka

Sorry for double post, but just for our own purposes, have any of HaloGAF made up their mind for what they're getting at launch? Or both? Or none?

PC for now and the next year or so, PS4 when I got the money, and when it's got the games.

Xbox One, no idea if I will pick it up any time soon.

Both at launch, if not possible (aka I'm not able to pay off both system, I only deposited $100 for each) I will buy the Xbox One first, and PS4 later this year (or will attempt to have it be my Christmas gift this year).

I'm going to deposit $50 minimum each week on the Xbox One, till that's paid off by July, and then I'll tackle the PS4. At that rate I SHOULD be able to pay off both by November.

So as of now, I still have $400 to pay off on my Xbox One, and have $300 to pay off for my PS4. :p

and yes, I'm paying these off myself with MY money.

heckfu

Banned
I didn't think the DRM and always online shit was THAT big of a deal because I assumed PS4 was headed the same route, but seeing it announced makes it seem like Playstation is a company that has the gamers best interest at heart.

And, at this moment, would like to rescind every comment that I made defending it tooth and nail (although I do stick to my guns saying that devs should get a portion of the profit for all game sales. i won't budge from that).

THAT BEING SAID, I'll still get both. Xbone controllers and brand loyalty will still get me.

So gaming side just made me realized that I'll be paying $110 a year to play online Multiplayer next gen :/ $50 for PS+ and $60 for Gold. Ehhhh that kind of blows to be honest.

Well... I won't actually have to worry about Gold for a while, since the Xbox One comes with a free year of gold, so I'll just have to pay for PS+. But starting in April 2015 when my gold expires (after I redeem my Free Year) I'll have to pay for Gold AND PS+. Ugh.

I didn't think the DRM and always online shit was THAT big of a deal because I assumed PS4 was headed the same route, but seeing it announced makes it seem like Playstation is a company that has the gamers best interest at heart.

And, at this moment, would like to rescind every comment that I made defending it tooth and nail (although I do stick to my guns saying that devs should get a portion of the profit for all game sales. i won't budge from that).

THAT BEING SAID, I'll still get both. Xbone controllers and brand loyalty will still get me.
Ugh I'd forgotten about Sony controllers, they are terrible.
So gaming side just made me realized that I'll be paying $110 a year to play online Multiplayer next gen :/ $50 for PS+ and $60 for Gold. Ehhhh that kind of blows to be honest.

Well... I won't actually have to worry about Gold for a while, since the Xbox One comes with a free year of gold, so I'll just have to pay for PS+. But starting in April 2015 when my gold expires (after I redeem my Free Year) I'll have to pay for Gold AND PS+. Ugh.

? "Less than $5 a month" almost surely means $4.99 a month, or $60 a year.

Booshka

steam.png

PC Gaming is the cheapest way to game next gen. No joke.

Well... current PS+ is $49.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RMK5QG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That comes out to be $4.16 a month, less than $5. If PS+ raises to $60, that'll suck.

You are pretty young - in your place rather than blow loads of cash on consoles which have pretty much the same games (except for one or two exclusives) I would spend that money/ save that money for education or sports or something. When you go to Uni you wont take both consoles with you but the extra cash will help enjoy stuff

Seriously - if you are intent on getting both - stagger it - get one of them first then wait a while for the next one. You can't play both at the same time and it's not like the launch exclusives look that good for both consiles

Ken

You are pretty young - in your place rather than blow loads of cash on consoles which have pretty much the same games (except for one or two exclusives) I would spend that money/ save that money for education or sports or something. When you go to Uni you wont take both consoles with you but the extra cash will help enjoy stuff

Seriously - if you are intent on getting both - stagger it - get one of them first then wait a while for the next one. You can't play both at the same time and it's not like the launch exclusives look that good for both consiles

But if you're young and have both consoles you'll be the coolest kid at school.

Trey

PS4 when Destiny drops. X1 when Halo 5 and Titanfall drop.

Gui_PT

I loved how Microsoft pretended there's no hate going around and didn't even try to explain their recent decisions.

Also, here's free games for all XBL people. We're not trying to shut you up or anything! Nope!

Madness

Sorry guys, was given erroneous information from gaming side. Xbox Live isn't free with the Xbox One $499 sku. Supposedly it only comes with a limited edition controller, packaging, achievement and some dlc for games. Only 14 day limited trial.

This means you have to purchase Xbox Live in addition to the base console.

Xbox for sure. Ps4 later. The ps4 launch titles look really weak so far from what I've seen, and I own both infamous games and have yet to get into either, so not phased by Second Son. Its all about the games, and Microsoft showed me things that I like to see. To be honest, Ubisofts was my favourite. The Division just looks insane. I need that in my veins. That tablet stuff that EA and Ubi were pushing looks so good. Drones, Commander Mode, AFK... That's next gen to me.

Battlefield 4 multi looked awesome, and I'm ridiculously stoked about Mirror's Edge 0, TitanFall, Quantum Break, Destiny, Watch Dogs, The Crew, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, and oddly enough, Garden Warfare...

Lol at Sony charging for multi. That just makes Xbox Live seem more valuable to me, because its probably going to still be better.

Also lol at Xbox mini being $200/$300, that's WTF worthy.

Project Spark really got my imagination going, I want to see that kind of tech in next gen Forge. Looks like Xbox version of LittleBigPlanet on crack.

Sunset Overdrive is still blowing my mind, Insomniac and MS... Crazy.

Halo ">4 but <6" trailer caught me more off guard than the Halo 4 reveal teaser. I seriously thought that was Prince of Persia, and just before Chief gets revealed, I said jokingly to my buddy, 'Watch this be Halo', and it was. 60fpsDedis1080p? Ok! I cant lie, I cant wait until E3 next year :( Great job there.

I'm really surprised at the push for 60 by the devs. Always thought that was more of a philosophical thing than anything, but I'm not complaining!

Also like that I get Halo 3 for free next month, since my disc is scratched and I can't play any campaign. Sounds like that's going to be 2 games free each month until launch of Xbox One, or is it forever? Either way, still cool.

I found Sony's conference really boring compared to Ubi and Microsoft, but that's just me. Props to the policies and the $400 pricepoint, and again lol at removing one of their biggest advantages over Xbox, free online mp. Not impressed by the exclusive lineup minus MAYBE The Order, but that's to be seen. I'm sure Knack will be lots of fun, though. Drive Club, Infamous, FF, and Killzone are snorefests for me, though. No way am I paying for online on two consoles, too. Disappointed at no Naughty Dog. :(

Super duper pumped about Nintendo. Bring it.

Omni

I loved how Microsoft pretended there's no hate going around and didn't even try to explain their recent decisions.

Also, here's free games for all XBL people. We're not trying to shut you up or anything! Nope!

I guess that confirms it. People will complain about everything.

:lol

Do we know what titles are launching with the new systems at release yet? I know Forza 5 is on the nextbox, but I'm not sure of anything else. That Tom Clancy game looks awesome. Anything said about that? (I didn't see the Ubisoft conference).

Where was I complaining? I was saying they're doing that to distract people from all the bad decisions they're making and most people are hating on.

I don't care if they're doin it cuz their feet smell bad, because all I heard was I'm getting free games. Cool with me.

Striker

Cheaper, more powerful, no bullshit DRM. Easiest decision ever.
Way I'm going, although at first I was 50/50 because of games.

None of the exclusives are making me want to pump $500+ into the Xbone, although Titanfall looked really good. Forza is still a great franchise but I haven't invested in that an awful lot since 2, and Halo has, well, dropped for me.

More about sports games and co-op now anyways and paying for PS+ isn't a big deal since I did so with XBL Gold.

Fuchsdh

Man, a lot of Fable hate in here. I love the series, to me it's only disappointing if you listened to Molyneux beforehand and bought into the hype.

My only concern with a sequel is that if they stay in the same time period, guns are way overpowered to the exclusion of melee and magic. They need to go back to bows and crossbows.

juices said:

Think they misinterpreted you on this one.

Kyle perm is an Earth shattering moment in Halogaf history. Halo gets 60fps and dedi's and he's not here to troll it. Pour one out.

Anyone know what HD TV they use for competitive Halo? Looking to get one in the Uk, zero input/screen lag, not too big of a screen.

Also, anybody got a recommendation for a decent desktop monitor that is good for gaming and I could hook another xbox up to? Splitscreen doesn't really work in Halo 4 so I want to hook one box up to a monitor and another to a tv.

Tawpgun

Ps4 has better policies. Publishers might block them but even if they do their policies will still be better. They support indie devs more and it's more powerful....

That being said, controller still sucks and XBL will probably be a superior platform. Every game getting dedi's? XBL historically being more reliable and consistent than Sony servers? Halo is the only GAME tying me down though. Titanfall looks interesting but I'm still gonna want to play Halo.

No PS4 exclusives come close to beating Halo for me

I wish the decision was easier...

Madness

Anyone underwhelmed by Destiny. It was hyped as something amazing, revolutionary, a game they dropped Halo to work on. And yet the world looks less unique than Reach, gameplay seemed kind of boring.

I'm not into this join up with friends, storm a stronghold and loot things type of gamer anymore. That's what they were talking about when they kept saying everything that's fun to do alone is better with your friends?

I asked them in a mail sack, if lone wolves type players could so single handed and they assured me you could, but it seems I'd get bored out of my mind. Maybe I'm being too cynical but I'd rather play Halo 5 as Sarah Palmer than Destiny right now.

I've watched that reveal gameplay like 4 times now, doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Infamous: Second Son, Watch Dogs, TitanFall all seem like what I'd play before Destiny in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

Omni

What exactly does the XB1 come with? Does it come with a 1 year live?
I'm pretty sure, yeah. Other than that, just the box, controller and kinext. Was hoping for a Forza 5 bundle personally, but they might announce that later.

Did we get a release date for Spartan Assault yet?

Madness

What exactly does the XB1 come with? Does it come with a 1 year live?

Nope... It was a rumor that is not true. Only comes with a 14 day trial.

There is a day one xbox one 12 month gold card that you can buy, it'll come with exclusive characters for Killer Instinct.

So factor in money for live over the $499 price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom