• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

I'm guessing Sony decided on price last minute. All of the slides before it, had unique font and graphics. And then when it came to price, it's a simple white PowerPoint with like 3 huge prices of black times new roman font with a simple picture of the ps4.

Im guessing they tried to just really hammer MS and take a slightly bigger loss. The GDDR5 RAM is also quite expensive.

Ideally XbOne should have been at $399-$449, but I'm okay with the price. I wasn't going to pay more than $499 either way. Kinect better be worth it though. I can't see many uses for it personally if at all.

mhi

I still can't believe the PS4 is $399

The difference is the Xbox is gonna ship with Kinect.

For me time has finally come to go back to the Playstation. Halo was the only reason I bought an Xbox initially (like many people here) and when the 360 came out cheaper and with Halo 3, I was sold.

But with the last two games, it's swung from am gonna buy because it's Halo and I have to play it to today where its, there gonna have to prove to me that they are making a game I want to play.

In comparison to PS3 it's mindblowing. I don't understand where the extra $100 dollars is coming from with XB1 except maybe the kinect? Dunno.
1080P infra-red camera with expensive quality microphones?
Probably.
I think the Kinect's lack of showing was more Microsoft catering hard to the E3 audience who treats the Kinect as a four-letter word, just like they catered hard to the sports-playing, TV-watching casual gamer and press with its announcement.

I think most of the Kinect's actual potential is really in low-latency voice commands, because then you can definitely add in gameplay options that wouldn't be duplicating things that are faster with a button press. The Library in CEA was in my opinion a great example of this--there weren't more buttons on the controller to cram in the feature without interfering with the original game, and the timing didn't have to be precise because you could afford the latency in a non-critical scenario. Navigating submenus and settings seems like another obvious area where voice can improve things.
1) Sure, but that's on Microsoft to disprove/change, especially as those gamers are the ones who are the ones being forced to buy the Kinect in the package
2) Voice commands seem to the most reliable, if not particularly interesting yet, they haven't shown a good use case in my opinion (save for Milo :-/)
3) Can't agree on the library, that's all stuff I think could have been done with the controller
4) Again, on the game menus, yet to see a good use case, controllers seem to be quicker and more reliable so far

------------------------
I do think someone will make something great with the Kinect eventually, but as part of the asking price, Microsoft should have ensured they had something to show that justified it.
It's part of why MS publisher requirement for indie's stinks so much, they should be just as inclusive to indies if not more so than Sony, thereby increasing the chance of an indie being able to do something small and clever with the Kinect that AAA development doesn't normally support

heckfu

Banned
I'm honestly more excited about the xbox as time goes on. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

also we haven't talked about it here so much as we have on twitter, but congrats to Domino Theory for getting a job at 343!

I'm honestly more excited about the xbox as time goes on. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

also we haven't talked about it here so much as we have on twitter, but congrats to Domino Theory for getting a job at 343!

Congrats, what is he (or you directly Domino) going to be doing over there?

neoism

Destiny looks great:

So sexy.

I agree devs should get a cut, but there are others ways to do it. I have always been a multi-platform guy, but yeah I lean Xbox.. That said, I preordered the PS4 and not the One. Im gonna supoort the company that supports me first.

Besides, Halo 5 isn't til next year, so I can wait.

all ovea my face Bungie's artist cant be beat.... My new Halo. Cant wait to play this on PS4

Akai__

Well, are you okay with Microsofts decisions?
Because, I'm not, but I'm still leaning towards the Xbox One. That's where all my friends are at and I like certain aspects of the Xbox more.

And yeah, congratulations Domino Theory here aswell. Have fun. I'm super jaelous. :p

heckfu

Banned
Well, are you okay with Microsofts decisions?
Because, I'm not, but I'm still leaning towards the Xbox One. That's where all my friends are at and I like certain aspects of the Xbox more.

And yeah, congratulations Domino Theory here aswell. Have fun. I'm super jaelous. :p

Am I ok with their decisions? I waver back and forth but it's something people will have to live with if they get it. So to answer, I don't dislike them enough not to purchase the console.

Madness

Did we all watch the same Destiny reveal? What was so exciting about that.

Forget for a second it's Bungie, but what was so revolutionary about what was revealed? Shoot some random enemies in a dark room and collect the loot. Then, go outside and have some huge bullet sponge enemy come that you can all pump ammo in.

A lot of folks are saying it's Borderlands, but I've never played it and so can't tell you. I don't know why I'm being so salty, I love Bungie, I loved ALL of their games. But things like TitanFall, The Division have me more hyped.

Madness

Who said it had to be revolutionary? It looked cool. That's not enough?

Well there was talk of it turning FPS on its head, bringing gamers a new way to play, how they've never been more excited, 4+ years in direct development, and we get some dark room that gets 5ish enemies that you use ADS guns to shoot and then pick up loot.

I prefer more than just games 'looking cool' so no its not enough. Maybe Bungie just doesn't have the ability for great reveals anymore.

If you wanted to show the world better, instead of inside this wall of Old Russia, imagine a battle at the top. And on one side you see The Fallen approaching, and the wilderness beyond, on the other side, you see like ruined Russian architecture etc. Show how simple it is to navigate etc. Instead of talking about Jason Jones' sniper rifle, show it in action picking off Fallen from the top of the wall.

Also maybe it was just me, but I got a Scarab vibe from that public event. Especially with the guys on those choppers riding around it, like you could use ghosts or mongoose etc.

Fuchsdh

Well there was talk of it turning FPS on its head, bringing gamers a new way to play, how they've never been more excited, 4+ years in direct development, and we get some dark room that gets 5ish enemies that you use ADS guns to shoot and then pick up loot.

I prefer more than just games 'looking cool' so no its not enough. Maybe Bungie just doesn't have the ability for great reveals anymore.

Well, to be fair to everyone involved, Bungie certainly didn't downplay their new IP, but they also didn't really make it out to be the second coming of Jesus either; a lot of the hype was just players excited about Bungie doing something new and different (and that Bungie didn't immediately spell out a lot about the game and what makes it either new or different.)

I have no doubt Destiny will be good, but I kind of feel a little odd watching all my HBO cohorts go apeshit about the game; I guess I've only got enough time and passion to devote to games and enjoying Halo's story fills that void.

EDIT: Good god Fable III is taking forever to download. 18% in two hours.

Akai__

I liked the Destiny reveal very much. It reminded me of Mass Effect, because of those abilities they could use, the "Ghost" drone, which turned the lights on and of course the other alien species.

Nebula

Did we all watch the same Destiny reveal? What was so exciting about that.

Forget for a second it's Bungie, but what was so revolutionary about what was revealed? Shoot some random enemies in a dark room and collect the loot. Then, go outside and have some huge bullet sponge enemy come that you can all pump ammo in.

A lot of folks are saying it's Borderlands, but I've never played it and so can't tell you. I don't know why I'm being so salty, I love Bungie, I loved ALL of their games. But things like TitanFall, The Division have me more hyped.

I'm not sure what innovations you were expecting from an FPS. TitanFall looked great but I didn't really see anything innovative there. It looked fun as hell though, and Destiny does to me as well, which is why I'm looking forward to them both.

Destiny looks great:

So sexy.

I agree devs should get a cut, but there are others ways to do it. I have always been a multi-platform guy, but yeah I lean Xbox.. That said, I preordered the PS4 and not the One. Im gonna supoort the company that supports me first.

Besides, Halo 5 isn't til next year, so I can wait.

Honestly...I was underwhelmed by Destiny.

I watched the whole demo and could not help but feel that I was missing something on how amazing it was supposed to be.

I'll still pick it up day one, but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

Booshka

PC and 360 seems fine for a while. GTA V, Destiny, Dark Souls 2 on 360. Titanfall on PC, along with whatever big next gen titles are available for PC.

Then when Fall 2014 comes around it will be easier to make a concrete decision if I want to buy a next gen console or not, and which one. If there are 3 exclusive games I really want to play on PS4, I could see myself picking it up Fall next year.

I also agree on Destiny looking a little boring, I don't really care though, it looks like a better version of Borderlands with MMO style instances and raids, and Bungie's world and lore building is worth it. It's not a competitive MP game yet anyway so I don't mind too much.

Titanfall looks like the much better game though, speaking in terms of fun gameplay.

My, the xbox one will cost 850 dlls for Mexico, I really miss the official MS distributor here.

At least Master Chief is catering to the Mexican crowd with his elusive poncho.

4stI25y.png

Better with Mountain Dew and Kinect!

Fracas

#fuckonami
I thought Destiny looked solid, but I don't understand the excitement for Titanfall. Parkour and mechs are nice, but other than that, it looks like any other military FPS. I'll probably end up nabbing it later on PC (or PS4 if it turns out to be a timed exclusive), but this is not a system seller for me.

Ponchos, as in plural? What do you need more than one poncho for?

One for me and one for family ;) They're great to wear around the house during the winter as a less embarrassing onesie. But I don't thnk they quite get the same wear back in Mexico though. Maybe the rural areas? Also, pro tip, ponchos are way easier to pack. Upon first leaving Mexico, there was a female Polish team of some kind at the front of the plane and pretty much all of them had bought sombreros. Instant loss of about half the plane's overhead compartments right there!

Woorloog

Banned
That news about Domino getting a job at 343 reminded me that we're coming up on Heckfu's birthday.

Happy Birthday Heckfu!

I thought people were actually going to forget my real one since we joke about fake ones so much.

Thanks!

So this one isn't a joke?
How many birthdays you had last year, 20?

Anyway, happy birthday then. But i will say that just once, it will cover all the birthdays you'll have this year.

HAPPY DIAPERS HECKFU

--------------

Discussion on this page/last: Destiny was super pretty and I have full faith that it will be a very good game, but the demo they showed didn't exactly blew me away in any way.

Titanfall on the other hand looks to have very fresh gameplay. The emphasis on some dynamic and complex player movement looks super interesting, like some sort of a Tribes/Brink meets military shooter with a fresh take on how vehicle combat works.

Booshka

HAPPY DIAPERS HECKFU

--------------

Discussion on this page/last: Destiny was super pretty and I have full faith that it will be a very good game, but the demo they should didn't exactly blew me away in any way.

Titanfall on the other hand looks to have very fresh gameplay. The emphasis on some dynamic and complex player movement looks super interesting, like some sort of a Tribes/Brink meets military shooter with a fresh take on how vehicle combat works.

I am just hoping Titanfall influences shooters to implement fun, fast and dynamic player movement similar to how CoD4 made every FPS put perks, loadouts and ADS in their shooters.

If we get more shooters with fun movement mechanics then I will have some faith in FPS next gen. Thank god the guys at Respawn understand what makes shooters fun.

Discussion on this page/last: Destiny was super pretty and I have full faith that it will be a very good game, but the demo they should didn't exactly blew me away in any way.

Yoda was wrong. The Dark Side IS more powerful and I agree with you completely.

This console gen comes with a free existential crisis! Fuuuuuuuu

Damn, don't think I'll be buying a new console this year.. Killer Instinct being free to play is cool, don't know why people are making an issue out of it when we don't know anything about how much the characters will cost or anything else.

We still don't know much about these consoles, but one thing's for sure: those launch lineups look horrible :\

Nothing interests me.. Then Don Mattrick saying how the xbone was made by gamers, for gamers made me think of 343 saying they were created by Halo fans and hired Halo fans to create Halo games for Halo fans. I don't trust anyone, not even Nintendo after that extremely disappointing Mario reveal. Geoff Keighley was also pressing Jack Tretton about the used game issue and it seems like it won't be any different than how it is now: leaving it up to the publishers with online passes and shit.

I guess we'll see how good TitanFall is and if spending over $500 is justified for a couple games.

After 3 years of hyping Destiny, I'm going to enjoy the game whether I want to or not. :p

Destiny looked amazing yesterday, and I really wish it wasn't a 2014 game. I need it now! :p Seriously Bungie is the #1 Video Game Developers, in front of Naughty Dog, I'm sure Destiny will be GoTY 2014.

wwm0nkey

So what is everyone's post E3 Fall/Holiday list so far?

So far I have

PS4
BF4
Pokemon X
and maybe CoD Ghosts.

Don't really need too many PS4 games at launch since BF4, PlanetSide 2 and Warframe should keep me busy for awhile until Destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom