• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

willow ve

If the XBONE didn't have Kinect it would probably cost 399 and would have been a preorder for me. Drop the gimmick live TV feature and that drops price again. Sigh, what could have been.

Now it's a waiting game. How long until the console has a sale? Or a price cut?

gAg CruSh3r

I'm pretty sure, yeah. Other than that, just the box, controller and kinext. Was hoping for a Forza 5 bundle personally, but they might announce that later.

Did we get a release date for Spartan Assault yet?

Well that's good. I'm at a fence line right now.

XB1 for 499$ and PS4 for 399$ XB1 60$ a year and PS4 5$ a month =12 months is 60$.. so 459$ for PS4. XB1 comes with Kinect2.0 and PS4 does not which will cost 59$ + 459$= 518$

PS4(518$) has better RAM. Which is not a big deal to me. I'm more concern how the game plays which both can play at. 1080p at 60fps. Graphics are better but I care about the better game. A game can look amazing but still can be crappy. USED games is a plus for the PS4! PS4 eye is not better then Kinect2.0. PS+ looks pretty good but does not have dedicated servers.

XB1(559$) RAM is okay. It has great exclusive titles ( Killer Instinct!!!). Used games is a down fall to the XB1 console but me personally don't sale games to much or loan them to friends. XB1 live looks just about the same but has a lot of cool features (twitch stream is nice!). Online policy is pretty crappy. I'm always online so it does not matter to much to me.. 10 game share with friends and family is nice tho ..

I'm kinda thinking XB1 for starts and wait until PS4 price drops. I think?..

Nope... It was a rumor that is not true. Only comes with a 14 day trial.

There is a day one xbox one 12 month gold card that you can buy, it'll come with exclusive characters for Killer Instinct.

So factor in money for live over the $499 price point.

Edit: had to add this in there...

Anyone underwhelmed by Destiny. It was hyped as something amazing, revolutionary, a game they dropped Halo to work on. And yet the world looks less unique than Reach, gameplay seemed kind of boring.

I'm not into this join up with friends, storm a stronghold and loot things type of gamer anymore. That's what they were talking about when they kept saying everything that's fun to do alone is better with your friends?

I asked them in a mail sack, if lone wolves type players could so single handed and they assured me you could, but it seems I'd get bored out of my mind. Maybe I'm being too cynical but I'd rather play Halo 5 as Sarah Palmer than Destiny right now.

I've watched that reveal gameplay like 4 times now, doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Infamous: Second Son, Watch Dogs, TitanFall all seem like what I'd play before Destiny in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

I think the main problem is they didn't really show anything. They literally fought a small group of the Fallen, picked up loot, then fought another group. Yea there was the "Public event" thing, but no info on it.

If there's something truly revolutionary about the game they should have shown it. Probably looks like just another shooter to most of the people watching

I'm also really torn on what console I'll buy. PS4 is the better console, and it is cheaper, but it doesn't really have any exclusives I want (yet?), and I've never liked the PS controller.

The Xbone is more expensive and isn't as powerful as the PS4, but is has some interesting looking exclusives (Titanfall, Quantem break, Spark, Halo 5 maybe) and a preferable controller. But most importantly, most of my friends will get it. I don't wanna play games like Destiny and BF4 without those friends.

I won't buy either console at launch so I still have enough time to decide. Maybe there will be some more good PS4 announcements, or maybe the Xbone's price will drop a bit.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Video Game best sellers on Amazon right now: Xbox One at #1, PS4 is not in the top 20 items.

RIP Xbox

Wait till morning.

xXDW7PC.png

Omni

Not surprising. There's no way the X1 is gonna keep up with the PS4 in sales - at first anyway. May catch up later on with price cuts. I'm sure MS knew they were limiting their customer base when they opted for an always online console.

Doesn't matter too much, though. At least to me. It's still a big platform with big third and first party support. That isn't gonna change. best? worst case scenario it sells really badly and MS pulls their fingers out with the nextnextbox.

DeadNames

Banned
What was MS thinking?

Shame really, I like the Xbone exclusives more than PS4s and I like the controller more... But 100 dollars cheaper, used games, and no DRM... Damn.

I think I'll go xbone at launch, get ps4 later.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Unless the box outright says the console has to be online, there's going to be so many confused parents a few hours after the Xbox launch.

Tawpgun

How are you people affording 2 consoles so casually. The adults here with full time jobs I understand... Everyone else?

You realize you're gonna be spending almost a grand on consoles, then you gotta buy games, and pay for two subscriptions

Nope... It was a rumor that is not true. Only comes with a 14 day trial.

There is a day one xbox one 12 month gold card that you can buy, it'll come with exclusive characters for Killer Instinct.

So factor in money for live over the $499 price point.

Why are people saying this. It is confirmed to come with a 12 month gold card. THE CARD IS WHAT GIVES YOU THE CODE FOR THE DAY ONE ACHIEVEMENT.

Day one bundles=Come with 12 month code.

@SpeedyBlueDude The Day One bundle does come w/12 mos - yep! ^JD

Why are people saying this. It is confirmed to come with a 12 month gold card. THE CARD IS WHAT GIVES YOU THE CODE FOR THE DAY ONE ACHIEVEMENT.

Day one bundles=Come with 12 month code.

@SpeedyBlueDude The Day One bundle does come w/12 mos - yep! ^JD

It doesn't matter what Xbox support says, in fact they've been wrong about stuff like this multiple times before. The Day One page on xbox.com says it does not come with 12 months. In fact, they even try to sell you on the Day One card on the same page.

Me too.

Sony may win day one, but to be honest, I think MS will win in the long run.

Based on what? The only way they can recover is if they backpedal.

daedalius

How are you people affording 2 consoles so casually. The adults here with full time jobs I understand... Everyone else?

You realize you're gonna be spending almost a grand on consoles, then you gotta buy games, and pay for two subscriptions

Hell no, just 1 for me.

Too much shit to pay for with this garbage house I own :|

DeadNames

Banned
what are you getting dae?

also, I think Microsoft will make some adjustments to their policies/price. this media backlash is INSANE!

still, I'm gonna stick with xbone. I like the exclusives a lot more and I hate the dual shock controller.

I wonder if Sony or MS will bring in the mobile phone style contracts to lower the purchase price?

What happened to signing up for 2-3 years of live and paying the console off over time with your Gold XBL?

I would have thought there would be oodles of revenue for MS in BF3 style player leased servers too. Both seem like missed opportunities in terms of revenue and creating distinct differences between XBL and PS+.

All the press/media rumoured such things and none of them ask such questions?

If you want preorders then let students and parents pay your console off on contracts.

Or just don't make it 500 dollars for a weaker system.

I would like firm details on the PS+ infrastructure when compared to Azure cloud & dedi servers. Between the PS eye add on cost & Kinect tv hands free centralisation I don't see a big price difference. Especially in Australia where the consoles are listed as $599 and $549.

Sony suck with adding margin to Aussie exchange rates, so do Apple and many others.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I would like firm details on the PS+ infrastructure when compared to Azure cloud & dedi servers. Between the PS eye add on cost & Kinect tv hands free centralisation I don't see a big price difference. Especially in Australia where the consoles are listed as $599 and $549.

Sony suck with adding margin to Aussie exchange rates, so do Apple and many others.

Yeah, when you start doing false equivalencies is when you're in what the professionals call "denial". Cboat said a few times the "cloud" is just an excuse for DRM. Simcity did the same thing, I'm not buying that bullshit anymore.

The Sony camera is optional, whether or not the price is the same or even double of a kinect. I don't HAVE to get a Sony eyecam if I don't want, and I sure as hell don't need to have it plugged in all the time.

It's cute you still have faith in a company who so obviously does not give a shit about consumers. I mean, neither do. But at least one is pretending.

Yeah, when you start doing false equivalencies is when you're in what the professionals call "denial". Cboat said a few times the "cloud" is just an excuse for DRM. Simcity did the same thing, I'm not buying that bullshit anymore.

The Sony camera is optional, whether or not the price is the same or even double of a kinect. I don't HAVE to get a Sony eyecam if I don't want, and I sure as hell don't need to have it plugged in all the time.

It's cute you still have faith in a company who so obviously does not give a shit about consumers. I mean, neither do. But at least one is pretending.

I don't see it as false at all. I could care less about the USA tv feed overlays but I have two young children and not looking for multiple remotes all day seems good to me. My kids, their friends and cousins like Kinect too, for families it is actually fun and a group activity. My wife also does Wii fit so she'll come over to a new Kinect fitness finally and our Wii can be given away to make room.

When I then factor in my Halo dedicated servers the $50 is great value. Further if the day one 12 months live is true then I'm in front by a long way.

Truth be told for dedis I would happily pay that extra $50 just for that. How you think that's a false measure is beyond me. Further where are Sony's online details? Is it p2p or dedis? How many compared to Azure?

It will take time for developers to grasp the cloud. I have seen both sides of dev perspectives. Forza uses the drivatar stuff already and Halo will of course use it too, just small examples for now.

Destiny looks great:

So sexy.

I didn't think the DRM and always online shit was THAT big of a deal because I assumed PS4 was headed the same route, but seeing it announced makes it seem like Playstation is a company that has the gamers best interest at heart.

And, at this moment, would like to rescind every comment that I made defending it tooth and nail (although I do stick to my guns saying that devs should get a portion of the profit for all game sales. i won't budge from that).

THAT BEING SAID, I'll still get both. Xbone controllers and brand loyalty will still get me.

I agree devs should get a cut, but there are others ways to do it. I have always been a multi-platform guy, but yeah I lean Xbox.. That said, I preordered the PS4 and not the One. Im gonna supoort the company that supports me first.

Besides, Halo 5 isn't til next year, so I can wait.

TheOddOne

I'm also really torn on what console I'll buy. PS4 is the better console, and it is cheaper, but it doesn't really have any exclusives I want (yet?), and I've never liked the PS controller.

The Xbone is more expensive and isn't as powerful as the PS4, but is has some interesting looking exclusives (Titanfall, Quantem break, Spark, Halo 5 maybe) and a preferable controller. But most importantly, most of my friends will get it. I don't wanna play games like Destiny and BF4 without those friends.

I won't buy either console at launch so I still have enough time to decide. Maybe there will be some more good PS4 announcements, or maybe the Xbone's price will drop a bit.
Go buy cheese.

You always bet on cheese.

I dont really get some of you guys. Just on principle alone is enough to snub the Xbox. The $100 jack on top of it just makes it kind of silly to support it. Especially since there is no Halo title until over a year from now.

I mean anyone who rewards this type of thing when there in a real alternative really can't complain about whatever bullshit they thing they can pull next.

versa7il

Does anyone here have a PS Vita? Some dude wants to trade his white Vita for my old iPhone 4. Is it worth it? I know absolutely nothing about the Vita.

Madness

Damn GAF is taking a pounding.

And Speedy, it's wrong. I know, there is too much misinformation. I thought there was a free year as well but no.

There is a Day One XBL card which gives you 12 months and some dlc etc.

But as it stands now, the Xbox One DOES NOT come with a year of live. Only 14 day trial. It's already up on sites like Gamestop etc.

Woorloog

Banned

Destiny did not impress me. Rather disappointing, considering how awesome the world seems to be.
Its gameplay is... lacking. It will be just fine (like Reach is, ignoring what happens when Reach mechanics meet player versus player combat) but it doesn't look like truly interesting FPS (outside the world). Weak, slow, not very intensive encounters.
I'm sure Bungie will manage to make it have good controls and have generally everything working just fine but... It looks like it needs something more.
Sure, this is an early build still, but i doubt things will change that much for the retail.

Kinda got this same feel from the reveal and the CGI trailer as well, cool world but... meh otherwise. And now E3 gameplay left me with the same feeling.

I reckon i will play it though. Assuming they don't reveal something completely idiotic later this year (or next year) about the game.

I definitely won't be getting anything at launch. I'm hoping for a Kinect-less bundle or something down the line to ease the price a little bit.

I am rather happy to sit tight for a while because I can't really see myself buying a PS4 or a XB1. The 360 support is cool to see so I'll still be able to enjoy Destiny and GTAV in the meantime.

heckfu

Banned
I dont really get some of you guys. Just on principle alone is enough to snub the Xbox. The $100 jack on top of it just makes it kind of silly to support it. Especially since there is not Halo title until over a year from now.

I mean anyone who rewards this type of thing when there in a real alternative really can't complain about whatever bullshit they thing they can pull next.

It's a machine to play games. On principle enough, the principle that the sharing doesn't affect me personally, I will buy this system.

Fuchsdh

Me too.

Sony may win day one, but to be honest, I think MS will win in the long run.

This is ultimately what I think too, though I wonder if Microsoft can afford the beating it's suffering short-term. Microsoft has gone full Apple, and as a longtime Mac fan I think that is partially why I'm less bothered by some of MS's moves. When Apple wants to push tech, they don't compromise. The iMac shipped *only* with USB ports. They included Bluetooth four years before they became ubiquitous. They pushed flash storage even when it jacked up prices, they cut disc drives, they killed their own standard port to save space and future-proof it (30 pin dock connector), they cannibalized their enormously successful iPod to support their even-more successful iPhone. They commit to the future.

Including Kinect in every console is the only way to make sure developers actually bother with it, and considering how a huge number of the tech limitations have apparently been removed, that's exciting to me, even as a hardcore gamer who doesn't want to be waving my hands around all day.

The downside is that Microsoft isn't Apple in two crucial ways: one, they don't have the same rabid fan base that will buy the testbed products and trailblaze. Secondly, they don't seem to have the same manic attention to getting things right, and getting the message they want out there.

Imagine the Xbox One's press conferences if they were given by Apple--targeted, slick, with competent presenters and no hiccups and dissembling, confusing responses afterward.

Even leaving aside the Kinect, I don't think anyone can honestly argue that the future of computing isn't going to be about services like Azure. Having a single power-house computer is becoming less and less important compared to other factors like portability, connectivity, battery life, etc.

willow ve

I definitely won't be getting anything at launch. I'm hoping for a Kinect-less bundle or something down the line to ease the price a little bit.

I am rather happy to sit tight for a while because I can't really see myself buying a PS4 or a XB1. The 360 support is cool to see so I'll still be able to enjoy Destiny and GTAV in the meantime.
Yep. This. Might even get the refreshed 360 console.

Including Kinect in every console is the only way to make sure developers actually bother with it, and considering how a huge number of the tech limitations have apparently been removed, that's exciting to me, even as a hardcore gamer who doesn't want to be waving my hands around all day.
As a Kinect owner I was ready to be sold on the Kinect 2 finally being good for a hardcore game, justifying the expense to the consumer and developer.
And yet it pretty much didn't feature yesterday, and when it did it wasn't meaningful.

It's early days yet, but that's not a encouraging start when your first party titles aren't out on stage justifying the kit.

Like I said pre-E3, gamers want to be "won" over. Sony did that and knowingly so with their ownership stance and price.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Dammit, there are so many games I want to get (BF4, Halo 5, Destiny, GTAV,etc). And then there's the price of the console. And Xbox Live once mine runs out. D: At least I'll be getting some free games in the next few months.

Fuchsdh

As a Kinect owner I was ready to be sold on the Kinect 2 finally being good for a hardcore game, justifying the expense to the consumer and developer.
And yet it pretty much didn't feature yesterday, and when it did it wasn't meaningful.

It's early days yet, but that's not a encouraging start when your first party titles aren't out on stage justifying the kit.

Like I said pre-E3, gamers want to be "won" over. Sony did that and knowingly so with their ownership stance and price.

I think the Kinect's lack of showing was more Microsoft catering hard to the E3 audience who treats the Kinect as a four-letter word, just like they catered hard to the sports-playing, TV-watching casual gamer and press with its announcement.

I think most of the Kinect's actual potential is really in low-latency voice commands, because then you can definitely add in gameplay options that wouldn't be duplicating things that are faster with a button press. The Library in CEA was in my opinion a great example of this--there weren't more buttons on the controller to cram in the feature without interfering with the original game, and the timing didn't have to be precise because you could afford the latency in a non-critical scenario. Navigating submenus and settings seems like another obvious area where voice can improve things.

Dammit, there are so many games I want to get (BF4, Halo 5, Destiny, GTAV,etc). And then there's the price of the console. And Xbox Live once mine runs out. D: At least I'll be getting some free games in the next few months.

I wonder if they're going to bake the PS+-like free backlog games thing into XBL in the future. They only referenced before launch, basically, but it seems like a fairly good idea to boost the value of the subscription as well as keep people coming back to both systems.

I'm already looking forward to trying Assassin's Creed II, as it's been on the back burner for years now but I've never really wanted to plunk down the coin on something so different from my usual gaming tastes.

In comparison to PS3 it's mindblowing. I don't understand where the extra $100 dollars is coming from with XB1 except maybe the kinect? Dunno.

Not razor thin margins is the difference. The Xbox and Playstation probably cost a similar price to make. Their main differences are GDDR5 RAM for the PS4 and the Kinect for the Xbox One, both of those are significant expenses. The rest of the internals are probably extremely close in cost.

Sony made a decision to not make much (or any) money on the hardware in order to attempt to establish a early market share lead over the Xbox.

Woorloog

Banned
In comparison to PS3 it's mindblowing. I don't understand where the extra $100 dollars is coming from with XB1 except maybe the kinect? Dunno.

I reckon Sony's losing quite a lot of money with each sold PS4, considering GDDR5 is not cheap.
MS is losing probably somewhat less, considering weaker hardware, but Kinect does drag the price up a bit (I reckon PSEye doesn't cost nearly as much as Kinect, since it is just a stereo camera).

EDIT Steelyuhas beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom