• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to watch yesterday... but cannot watch 32 awful kids playing 32 awful kids. I swear the people playing have never seen a shooter before.

There are some bad kids on that stream, but I think a lot of it has to do with most people using the Xbone Controller instead of KB+M. Without aim assist, the controller users seem way worse.

EDIT: Bottom of page annoys me. Here is my post from the previous page:

It will feel weird at first but we will grow to accept it!

Also Battlefield 4 livestream up!

It's funny how you can obviously tell someone is using a controller in this stream. If DICE will allow you to use a controller on the PC version, they should at least let you be able to add aim assist or something.

Also, I'm really curious to read about people's impressions of the Xbox One controller. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of talk about it.

Ghazi

Also, I'm really curious to read about people's impressions of the Xbox One controller. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of talk about it.

I've heard it's real good, I know someone who actually went to E3 and tried it out and they said that the new D-Pad is really good and the sticks feel even better than the 360's. The buttons are a little more clicky too apparently.

Screw Battlefield 4, everyone watch the new Killer Instinct game get played by pros!

Man, this might be the game that forces me to get a One. It just looks so damn godlike.

but gaming side members have said the developers making it can't make good games. the game has a bad art style and the game is bad and killer instinct is dead and microsoft is just cashing in on gamers nostalgia. :(

Killer Instinct looks good, sooooo great that it's free to play.

Get game, buy the 2 characters you want, done. You got Killer Instinct for like $10 instead of $60. Love this Free To Play model, pay for what you want.

Obscured

I've heard it's real good, I know someone who actually went to E3 and tried it out and they said that the new D-Pad is really good and the sticks feel even better than the 360's. The buttons are a little more clicky too apparently.

That sounds promising. One thing I really liked about the onza (while it lasted) was the clicky-ness of the face buttons.

heckfu

Banned
Get game, buy the 2 characters you want, done. You got Killer Instinct for like $10 instead of $60. Love this Free To Play model, pay for what you want.

free to play is idiotic. it preys on people who don't have good self control and can't balloon way out of control before people can help themselves.

free to play is idiotic. it preys on people who don't have good self control and can't balloon way out of control before people can help themselves.

As a guy who spent $40 on Happy Wars to beat my friends and have better gear then them, and as a guy who spent $100+ on his Avatar, trust me, I know. :(

Sounds good. I love clicky buttons!

Thermite

Free to play is only idiotic when it's pay to win. The way Valve handles free to play in Dota 2 (all the characters are available for everyone, no in-game advantages can be purchased; only cosmetics can be purchased) is really the best way to do it. Plus, a vast majority of the cosmetics sold can be acquired by just playing the game and getting an item drop after matches.

Edit: I actually really like the way they're handling Killer Instinct's model. There's a regular, full retail version for people who want to purchase the full game and then there's the demo/f2p version that gives Jago for free that you can take into single player and multiplayer. And then from there if you want to buy other characters, you have the option to. It gives new players a chance to basically try their game completely for free both online and in SP modes, and if they really like the game but only want 1 or 2 specific characters to play online they can pay however much just for those characters instead of having to pay $60.

when you post, and this isn't me being critical, you say 'you' spend. do you really mean your parent's money?

I have a job, I buy my own games and everything gaming related is from my own pocket. :/

The only thing that might not be from my own Pocket this year is the PS4, if I choose to ask for that to be my Christmas present. The Xbox One will be paid off and purchased by me, and possibly the PS4 if I want it that badly at launch.

Anyways, the Achievement system on Xbox One sounds great!

Achievements and challenges are both officially considered Xbox Live Achievements, so they inherit many of the same benefits:

- You can unlock them and win their rewards;

- Once unlocked, they are saved to your achievement history;
- They each have an icon to visualize the cool thing you did;
- They often are associated with a Game DVR capture to show your friends that you are better than they are
- Developers can release more of them after the game’s initial release (more on that in a bit).

Additionally, gamers can now unlock new maps, digital artwork, characters, and even temporary stat boosts via achievements. And these awards are not just limited to games, other Xbox One applications such as video and music apps can now use achievements to bring you additional content, such as sneak peeks, early access, or extend your subscription.

Sounds pretty cool. Maybe buying things with Achievement Points is finally becoming a reality?
Nope :(

Ghazi

What I don't like about the F2P model iis how something that I've done with every fighting game I've ever played is tried out all the characters to find which style or way they play suits me the most. That's something I can't do if I have to pay to play every character, I'll have to resort to watching YouTube videos of those characters I want to get like I did with DLC characters for other games. Of course I may find someone who looks cool and buy them and it turns out that meh, their play style isn't really my thing. What I'm saying is I'd rather have them all in one complete package rather than having to buy everything separately, and it's harder to justify to my parents (who want me to have no part in gaming) to let me buy multiple smaller priced things rather than one larger priced thing, even though I'm paying for it with my money since they refuse to support my gaming endeavors. (which is 100% fine and understandable by me) Not everyone has your money or parents Speedy.

Also Speedy, some people don't just play 2 characters. Some of my friends can play every single in UMvC3, a game that has 48 characters (I believe that's the exact number), and they enjoy the challenge of playing characters they may have more difficulty playing than others.\

Edit: I actually really like the way they're handling Killer Instinct's model. There's a regular, full retail version for people who want to purchase the full game and then there's the demo/f2p version that gives Jago for free that you can take into single player and multiplayer.
Oh really? Damn, that's good; gives the game more longevity since people can play it for free and gives it a bigger online community. That truly is a great way to handle it.

That's a nice description of yourself.

AMIRIGHT GETSHITON 10/10 WOULD READ AGAIN

--------------------------

Updates to achievements on X1 sound cool.

willow ve

That's a nice description of yourself.

AMIRIGHT GETSHITON 10/10 WOULD READ AGAIN

--------------------------

Updates to achievements on X1 sound cool.
It's basically the Halo model applied to all games. Achievements can always be won. Challenges are time specific and don't affect gamerscore, but can unlock other content.

I think that's a great step for games. XB1 has a lot of catching up to do, but the achievements and the controller seem great.

Note, I've heard good things about the controller. Haven't actually held one.

free to play is idiotic. it preys on people who don't have good self control and can balloon way out of control before people can help themselves.

I think of F2P as Darwinism to some extent. I'm not a fan of the Pay 2 Win model but I can see the advantages a F2P system has. I've been guilty of spending a couple of points I've had left over on Mass Effect 3 packs for instance.

I don't think it always a bad system it can be great for self published developers and people with self control. I can play a host of F2P MMO's get a great experience and never spend a dime on the product at all.

The trick is self control and to avoid those Pay 2 Win games.

wwm0nkey

Example of a bad F2P title would be All Points Bulletin, fun enough game and when it was originally P2P all weapons were unlocked via doing missions for members of a gang, now its F2P and you can just buy any weapons with the best ones being buy only.

Now an easy way to make this a non-bullshit situation is to simply bring it back to where you do missions for gang members but have the progress rate of your standing with them go slower and have the OPTION of buying boosts to get there a tad bit faster. Also sell more cosmetic items and ect.

Most F2P game devs have noticed selling boosts and cosmetics alone makes them a lot of money.

heckfu

Banned
It's weird seeing people defend F2P in the same community that literally lost their shit over differing preorder bonuses with Halo 4.

wwm0nkey

It's weird seeing people defend F2P in the same community that literally lost their shit over differing preorder bonuses with Halo 4.

For people that have to have all the cosmetic stuff I picture F2P is a nightmare. But I just want to play the game so I don't care. Have A LOT of hours in PSO2 and I have yet to spend a dime.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's almost as though there are a number of people within this community that don't have the same opinion as others.

There are plenty of good free to play models, I've played 40+ hours of the great League of Legends without paying a dime.

Same for Dota.

I now get to play Starcraft with Hydranockz and other friends who wouldn't have gotten to play the game otherwise.

There are also plenty of awful free to play models.

heckfu

Banned
It's almost as though there are a number of people within this community that don't have the same opinion as others.

damn, nice post haha

There are plenty of good free to play models, I've played 40+ hours of the great League of Legends without paying a dime.

Same for Dota.

I now get to play Starcraft with Hydranockz and other friends who wouldn't have gotten to play the game otherwise.

There are also plenty of awful free to play models.

I'm terrible at league/dota but just because i dont have enough experience. we should play soon!

For me it's about accessibility. If i want everything in a F2P game and I'm flush I can go on the store drop some money and get the content I want. If I want all the Halo 4 bonuses I have to preorder the game at 6 retailers, buy 10 figures, download a app and walk to a 7-11. Buy a console and a controller + a specially branded Halo 4. Things lined up well and at the time I could afford that and I like owning most of those items. But ultimately I should not of had to do that.

I really don't want to get into a whole Preorder bullshit vs F2P thing but having the option day one to buy either a digital deluxe version of the game from XBLMP or a "All the in game shit pack" for a couple of quid/bucks would be the best option going into next gen.

It's never happening

heckfu

Banned
For me it's about accessibility. If i want everything in a F2P game and I'm flush I can go on the store drop some money and get the content I want. If I want all the Halo 4 bonuses I have to preorder the game at 6 retailers, buy 10 figures, download a app and walk to a 7-11. Buy a console and a controller + a specially branded Halo 4. Things lined up well and at the time I could afford that and I like owning most of those items. But ultimately I should not of had to do that.

I really don't want to get into a whole Preorder bullshit vs F2P thing but having the option day one to buy either a digital deluxe version of the game from XBLMP or a "All the in game shit pack" for a couple of quid/bucks would be the best option going into next gen.

It's never happening

But the difference with preorder bonuses being cosmetic and things like KI, League, and others is that the F2P aspect changes the gameplay. I mean I guess it's cool that you can play for free and enjoy it (league especially) but if you're playing against people with money it's nowhere near as fun. I understand the dichotomy present in my argument that one should be happy with a free game but it's the spiraling that's present with spending patterns that is shitty.

Remember the argument yesterday about console wars? These corporations are putting these games out for you and your friends to have a good time, it's about hooking you in and feeding that addiction so you'll pay in the long run and they profit.

There was an article on joystiq today about why EA canceled the online passes. It wasn't about DRM on xbox, it wasn't about throwing fans a bone, it was that they weren't getting enough money back that it wasn't worth their while. Quick recap, majority of gaming is not about the player, it's about the bottom line. These ideas can cross and overlap in a wonderful venn diagram of love and friendship...but it's controlled by the dollar.

Goddamn Heckfu. I've seen you post some stupid ass shit, but today is just...

Don't be sad, it's just internet.

The question is how many people can play the game at the same time. Spencer told me he believed that two people can play one copy of a game concurrently, but he urged me to check Microsoft's official wording on the matter to be sure.

GOSH DARN MICROSOFT. This is going to be abused to hell and they don't even care. This is too good to be true! Seriously this is even better than have a disk copy of the game. o_o

There has to be a catch, no way it's this good. Seriously, 10 people can "own" the game with one copy, as long as they're family members? And 2 can play it at the same time? Wow! Seriously what's the catch. Does Kinect have to scan both members to make sure they're related? Wow this is too good.

So HaloGAF, who wants to be in my "family" and buy a copy of Halo 5 with me. ;P $6 per person. ;P

wwm0nkey

GOSH DARN MICROSOFT. This is going to be abused to hell and they don't even care. This is too good to be true! Seriously this is even better than have a disk copy of the game. o_o

There has to be a catch, no way it's this good. Seriously, 10 people can "own" the game with one copy, as long as they're family members? And 2 can play it at the same time? Wow! Seriously what's the catch. Does Kinect have to scan both members to make sure they're related? Wow this is too good.

So HaloGAF, who wants to be in my "family" and buy a copy of Halo 5 with me. ;P $6 per person. ;P

Why the fuck would they require that 30 day shit for borrowing a game!?

Why the fuck would they require that 30 day shit for borrowing a game!?

To be honest the 30 day limit for friends is the one thing I don't understand people complaining about. 30 days ISN'T a long time, honestly anyone who is your real life friend/family member has probably been on your friends list for over 30 days now. All my real life friends have been on my list for 3 years, family have been on there for 4 years. Hell even all the HaloGAF users I've added
Except Juices, that pending friend request.
have been on my list for more than a month.

The 30 day limit is seriously a small hurdle that won't really affect anyone much. Also I don't think the family plan thing has a 30 day limit. 30 day limit is JUST for giving your friend your copy of the game, and full on giving. The game isn't on your account anymore and you can't play it.

TheOddOne

This shot is still dope.

i1rwqeHXKugZD.gif

hey. fifa later?

I might not be on tonight, I have a early start tomorrow. :( This weekend though for sure!

Your totally gonna kick my ass btw, I kind of lost interest now that all the FuT players that I want are like 50k so stopped playing already lol.

To be honest the 30 day limit for friends is the one thing I don't understand people complaining about. 30 days ISN'T a long time, honestly anyone who is your real life friend/family member has probably been on your friends list for over 30 days now. All my real life friends have been on my list for 3 years, family have been on there for 4 years. Hell even all the HaloGAF users I've added
Except Juices, that pending friend request.
have been on my list for more than a month.

The 30 day limit is seriously a small hurdle that won't really affect anyone much. Also I don't think the family plan thing has a 30 day limit. 30 day limit is JUST for giving your friend your copy of the game, and full on giving. The game isn't on your account anymore and you can't play it.

Agreed.

To be honest, 30 days is just long enough to let someone grow bored of their game so I can have more time with it. I could potentially ask on Gaf who is getting a game day 1, add them to my friends list like the day the game comes out and know that 30 days later I can probably play it without annoying them as they will probably be done with it by then.

I still dont get why Songbird is in Halo.

Pretty sure the main reason for the 30 day minimum is to encourage day 1 sales for new games.

EDIT: Maybe not the main reason, but probably a valid concern.

If I have a dozen 360 games I can lend each of them to a friend. If I have a dozen Xbox One games, I can only lend one of them to a friend at a time and that person has to go through a 30 day waiting period before they are cleared to borrow a game from me. I can't sell my games unless I get permission from the publisher and sell the games to a participating retailer. If MSFT's authentication servers go down nobody can play any of their Xbox One games. If my internet provider is doing maintenance in my area for a week I can't play any Xbox One games. If I live in most countries on this planet I cannot play any Xbox One games. But you're right. This is too good. I'm having a hard time figuring out what the catches are.

“I think the policy makes sense,” Spencer said. “It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently, but when you think about a real usage scenario, and we thought about it around a family, and I know certain people will create a family group of people that aren’t all part of the same family, and I do think that’s an advantage, and people will use that. I saw it on NeoGAF instantly, the Xbox Family creation threads, where people said 'Hey be a part of my family.'”

So that answers one question: Microsoft doesn't seem to care whether or not the ten people in the group are actually family members. They can be friends, roommates, boyfriends, girlfriends, your dog's groomer… you pick ten people, and you share games with them.

This is ridiculously awesome. Seriously. So guys who wants to be in the "family" :3

I'm buy Forza Motorsport 5, Sunset Overdrive, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghost, Minecraft:Xbox One Edition, Quantum Break, and Project Sparks depending on the price ($10-$20 yes! $60 :/)

Anyone buying Killer Instinct (full version), Loco Cycle, Project Sparks, Dead Rising 3, FIFA 14, Watch_Dogs, or any other good launch game is welcomed to join my Xbox One family. <3

If you can only lend to one person at a time thats less of a great feature. I guess I will wait until the dust settles and everything is confirmed.

If you can only lend to one person at a time thats less of a great feature. I guess I will wait until the dust settles and everything is confirmed.

There's still some confusion, but apparently you and one other person can be playing the shared game at the same time, not just one person at a time.

There's still some confusion, but apparently you and one other person can be playing the shared game at the same time, not just one person at a time.

I was more confused about the fact it seemed like you could only lend one game at a time.

I.e. if I have 10 games and 10 friends, while I play Halo 5 which is my newest game I sort of thought the rest of my friends could play the other 9 games. It seems more like only 1 of my other games can be lent out during that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom