• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

As a guy who spent $40 on Happy Wars to beat my friends and have better gear then them, and as a guy who spent $100+ on his Avatar, trust me, I know. :(

images

Is that a GoT book? Anne Rice wrote a book called that too.

I've seen all of the books split into parts and each with different subtitles here lately, though I've never seen them like that in a book store.

Ghazi

Dude some people actually buy that shit it's ridiculous. I knew one guy who changed his name at least 11 times over the span of 2 years and bought loads of stuff for his avatar. Huge waste of money for something that's barely visible and not even transitioning to next gen.

I've always thought it was ridiculous, that's half the charm imo.
It's become ridiculously complex, without adding any actual depth to the narrative.

And the basic idea that you have to consume the narrative in several different medium forms to understand what the fuck is going on in a game is a ludicrous idea.
I've seen all of the books split into parts and each with different subtitles here lately, though I've never seen them like that in a book store.
Paperbacks for books 3 and 5 are split in the UK, as far as I'm aware there are no US versions that are split though.

It's become ridiculously complex, without adding any actual depth to the narrative.

And the basic idea that you have to consume the narrative in several different medium forms to understand what the fuck is going on in a game is a ludicrous idea.

Paperbacks for books 3 and 5 are split in the UK, as far as I'm aware there are no US versions that are split though.

They just need to start adding a CGI prologue each game. Hopefully they do considering Halo 3's canon barely existed in 4 despite being a direct sequel.

Chief could even be having a nightmare in cryo.

I removed it because it's a plot point in the Forerunner trilogy, in which the reader didn't know that he had done that until the book revealed it to him/her if they had not read any other Halo fiction. I originally didn't have the spoiler tag and edited it in just in case, I don't see how it's pointless but I don't think it was required.

It's pointless because the rest of your post basically said the shit you spoilered.

Ghazi

It's pointless because the rest of your post basically said the shit you spoilered.

Yeah, I realized that too. Eventually it became the decision of spoilering the whole post, something I didn't want to do, or try to be vague about it. And I managed to mess that up, but I gave it a try.

And it was in the terminals in Halo 3.

I did go through all the terminals, but I haven't played that game's campaign since 2011. So I don't remember much of it, I'm sure if I look it up I'll remember it.

Madness

Since DestinyGAF doesn't exist yet, for those who plan to get the game, what system are you getting it for?

Since I'm leaning towards XbOne as first console purchase, I'm probably going to get Destiny for that.

If I decide to not even get any consoles at launch, I'll probably go Xbox 360 then.

wwm0nkey

Since DestinyGAF doesn't exist yet, for those who plan to get the game, what system are you getting it for?

Since I'm leaning towards XbOne as first console purchase, I'm probably going to get Destiny for that.

If I decide to not even get any consoles at launch, I'll probably go Xbox 360 then.
PS4

Woorloog

Banned

I think this question has popped up here multiple times now.
PS4 for me, i won't give MS a single cent more.

Why big pictures? Because, buck Elzar.

jbohWKQhQ6IxzX.png

jbedBt93eFHR0t.png

Yep, that sure looks like The Ark.

jbi3I0rNpULuo9.png

Oh look, cracked and everything. Second level = Chief is rebuilt, errything ok.

jbdvdXktOV9Ji0.png

No mention of "Reclaimer Saga", strange.

Buck Elzar.

Yeah, that really does look like the Ark.

Also, that MC close up makes we wonder if they used game assets for this CG trailer. It looks possible.

gAg CruSh3r

XB1 for me. I want a dedicated server for this game.

Ghazi

I'll probs be getting a PS4 as soon as I can just so I can play FFXV on the OG Playstation controller like I did in my childhood (hey, yeah, that's still going on) and Destiny and MGSV and etc. Then Xbone just for Killer Instincts and TitanFall if it hasn't come to PS4 by the time I get it.

Hopefully I'll stop spending money on my 360, just got like 2 or 3 games that are already out that I want to get. That reminds me that I need to buy an ms point card so I can buy Catherine while its on sale.

Ghazi

They meant anyone who can cough up the cash can use them.

So (as of the 360's current Gold count) around 50 million people are already paying for them? I'm sure MS doesn't care where they're getting their Gold revenue from (360 or One) at this point since they're transferrable between consoles. Just as long as that number continues to go up, I have trouble believing they'll have that many dedis up and for that long. The only first party game that had dedis this gen from MS (as far as I remember) was Gears of War 3 and they locked that behind DLC when the 2nd map pack came out so I'm expecting them to start locking things behind even more paywalls.

So (as of the 360's current Gold count) around 50 million people are already paying for them? I'm sure MS doesn't care where they're getting their Gold revenue from (360 or One) at this point since they're transferrable between consoles. Just as long as that number continues to go up, I have trouble believing they'll have that many dedis up and for that long. The only first party game that had dedis this gen from MS (as far as I remember) was Gears of War 3 and they locked that behind DLC when the 2nd map pack came out so I'm expecting them to start locking things behind even more paywalls.

It's not about dedis just for one game, that's not how Azure works at all. The global system is able to load balance, use redundancy, scaling, caching and all the nice benefits of the cloud and multiple datacentres in various regions.

Azure is already a multi-billion dollar multi-region network of AAA-grade datacentres. Essentially the premise is if one game has within 1 hour a massive in flux of say 250,000 concurrent players it will scale to that performance. If that drops off the very next day it would scale back.

In terms of outages you'd go from say 25-100 ms on a local datacentre to say 50-200ms on a foreign datacentre. Azure launched in 2010 and is in use by far more demanding systems than concurrent multiplayers. Websites, email, databases, web services, currency exchange, mining data, GIS mapping and more industries generate more data and concurrent connections than gaming will or does right now.

Take a look at the Wikipedia page for the most significant outages of Azure:
2012-02-29 Incorrect code for calculating leap day dates[17]
2012-07-26 Misconfigured network device[18][19]
2013-02-22 Expiry of an SSL certificate[20] Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Video also affected

That is very little outage time globally, honestly my local ISP, retail shops or DDOS websites like Amazon have more outages every year. You're barking up the wrong tree with the wrong information.

They meant anyone who can cough up the cash can use them.

We don't know anything about the platform to publisher fees or structure. Technically Azure can bill based on what is actually used rather than a fixed price. If a game is popular the fees could go up or if it's not popular they could go down. Ms may include all the Azure access as part of the royalties they get from the game sales etc. Many methods exist and we haven't a clue how Ms propose to provide Azure to the developer or if they will charge at all?

I would like to see it available to all developers just as part of their existing royalties/fees structure. After all Xbox is responsible for the platform and the XBL subscriptions combined with existing Azure corporate revenue more than take care of the investment on the backend.

Ghazi

It's not about dedis just for one game, that's not how Azure works at all. The global system is able to load balance, use redundancy, scaling, caching and all the nice benefits of the cloud and multiple datacentres in various regions.

Azure is already a multi-billion dollar multi-region network of AAA-grade datacentres. Essentially the premise is if one game has within 1 hour a massive in flux of say 250,000 concurrent players it will scale to that performance. If that drops off the very next day it would scale back.

In terms of outages you'd go from say 25-100 ms on a local datacentre to say 50-200ms on a foreign datacentre. Azure launched in 2010 and is in use by far more demanding systems than concurrent multiplayers. Websites, email, databases, web services, currency exchange, mining data, GIS mapping and more industries generate more data and concurrent connections than gaming will or does right now.

Take a look at the Wikipedia page for the most significant outages of Azure:
2012-02-29 Incorrect code for calculating leap day dates[17]
2012-07-26 Misconfigured network device[18][19]
2013-02-22 Expiry of an SSL certificate[20] Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Video also affected

That is very little outage time globally, honestly my local ISP, retail shops or DDOS websites like Amazon have more outages every year. You're barking up the wrong tree with the wrong information.

Ah, but I forgot about Azure. Of course, where else would MS have the computing power to handle this and of course that must be their magic "power of cloud". I could see that working, imo I think it'll be a little more strained than what you're giving it credit for; but I digress. I'm sure we'll see how it turns out, an upside to it is that since it's run across dataservers in the US there'll be lower latency in the US (like you said) so that's a pretty nice benefit for US users; though the entire console seems more like the Americabox rather than one for many foreign countries. The scaling is also a nice effect since it decreases operation costs of servers for MS if I'm understanding it correctly.

From the little I know and understand of Azure it certainly seems like a very, if not the, most complex and flexible service for handling whatever data the console would be using for its media services, check-ins, games and etc. But I can't help think, if it starts to have issues (as little as they've happened), in whatever time frame from now the One is still going and has amassed as many users as the 360; 50 million would be essentially locked out of their content along with whatever corporate data that other users may be locked out of it. It's obvious that MS is putting a lot of trust in Azure (as its track record has few problems I'd say that it's not unwarranted trust). But designing all the functionality and usage of a console that is all digital at this point is a bad idea, no matter how stable your service because there will always be unforeseen problems, and Azure's track record can only worsen as more load is put onto it. To talk more about the scaling, if it's hit with millions of users within an hour timeframe and, say, couldn't handle it; what would happen? I'm expecting loads of errors on launch day for many people buying the One, if not then sure I can eat my own words I don't have a problem with that. Honestly, I'm not the best person to argue with this about since knowledge of networking is slim to none, I appreciate the time you took to type all that though and I did understand most of it, thank you.

Ah, but I forgot about Azure. Of course, where else would MS have the computing power to handle this and of course that must be their magic "power of cloud". I could see that working, imo I think it'll be a little more strained than what you're giving it credit for; but I digress. I'm sure we'll see how it turns out, an upside to it is that since it's run across dataservers in the US there'll be lower latency in the US (like you said) so that's a pretty nice benefit for US users; though the entire console seems more like the Americabox rather than one for many foreign countries. The scaling is also a nice effect since it decreases operation costs of servers for MS if I'm understanding it correctly.

From the little I know and understand of Azure it certainly seems like a very, if not the, most complex and flexible service for handling whatever data the console would be using for its media services, check-ins, games and etc. But I can't help think, if it starts to have issues (as little as they've happened), in whatever time frame from now the One is still going and has amassed as many users as the 360; 50 million would be essentially locked out of their content along with whatever corporate data that other users may be locked out of it. It's obvious that MS is putting a lot of trust in Azure (as its track record has few problems I'd say that it's not unwarranted trust). But designing all the functionality and usage of a console that is all digital at this point is a bad idea, no matter how stable your service because there will always be unforeseen problems, and Azure's track record can only worsen as more load is put onto it. To talk more about the scaling, if it's hit with millions of users within an hour timeframe and, say, couldn't handle it; what would happen? I'm expecting loads of errors on launch day for many people buying the One, if not then sure I can eat my own words I don't have a problem with that. Honestly, I'm not the best person to argue with this about since knowledge of networking is slim to none, I appreciate the time you took to type all that though and I did understand most of it, thank you.

Truth be told gaming is not mission critical like many of the financial or web systems Azure runs now and has for years already. Gaming will perform fine and yes it will have some small bumps in the road every now and again but in terms of having your Xbox One for say 5 years the outages and issues are negligible at best.

Further Azure is the premier regional service, for reference GaiKai is very USA centric and basically just house their servers in third party datacentres. That in itself is fine, I do the same with my servers in fact, but Azure is light years in front of GaiKai in owning and literally constructing their own datacentres, not just in the USA. Here's a quick run down of the major 6 datacentres that form the backbone of that network, there's another 24 CDN nodes and a lot more planned e.g. 2 currently under construction in Australia (Sydney & Melbourne). Again as another reference major players in the cloud space such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or RackSpace have only one datacentre in Sydney, Australia.

This video gives you an idea of the scale of Azure

North America
North-central US - Chicago, IL
South-central US - San Antonio, TX
West US - California
East US - Virginia

Asia
East Asia - Hong Kong, China
South East Asia - Singapore

Europe
West Europe - Amsterdam, Netherlands
North Europe - Dublin, Ireland