• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

someone come play Halo 2 Vista with me... I'm, lonely
I have it, I may get on it in a moment. My laptop runs it at around 10 fps so don't expect me to do much.
Whos going to be in Juices family?!
<3, I want to be in Speedy's family since he's buying everything
brlw46N.jpg
something something project halysis is on indefinite hiatus
lol, RIP halysis
If you can only lend to one person at a time thats less of a great feature. I guess I will wait until the dust settles and everything is confirmed.

2 people can play the game at the same time. So you could give it to a friend that doesn't have it and you two could play it together or you could give it to 2 people and they can play at the same time.

The cloak still bothers me.
By the way, your avatar could use a cloak.

Note Chief doesn't have his XBOX HUEG thruster packs jutting out from his cloak. He might have gotten more of his armor damaged.

EDIT: oh shit, maybe they're using the cloak to hide his next armor redesign! Get hyped!

Thermite

It's almost as though there are a number of people within this community that don't have the same opinion as others.

This. And anyway, there's a pretty big difference between pre-order bonuses that you can only get by pre-ordering a game at multiple locations and items where you have a choice to either buy or wait and get via item drops after matches.

But the difference with preorder bonuses being cosmetic and things like KI, League, and others is that the F2P aspect changes the gameplay. I mean I guess it's cool that you can play for free and enjoy it (league especially) but if you're playing against people with money it's nowhere near as fun. I understand the dichotomy present in my argument that one should be happy with a free game but it's the spiraling that's present with spending patterns that is shitty.

I know very little of how League's pay model works, but from what I've heard it's the perfect example of how not to do a free to play game. From what I've been told, you either stick with shitty heroes long enough to acquire enough points (which I've been told is a ridiculous amount) to purchase a much better hero or you just flat out pay for one. So what ends up happening is the dude who purchased the best set of heroes to choose from will have a serious advantage over someone who didn't. It's pay to win, and it's complete shit.

Woorloog

Banned
Note Chief doesn't have his XBOX HUEG thruster packs jutting out from his cloak. He might have gotten more of his armor damaged.

Huh, never thought of that.
The armor must be still functional though, since it weights quite a lot and if it weren't powered, even a super soldier like the Chief would have problems moving in the armor (i'd expect it to be rigid if it is unpowered).

EDIT OddOne's "nanomachines" answer makes sense as well.

Ghazi

What are you guys talking about him missing his thrusters? He just decided to spawn with Promethean Vision this time.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks.

5v5 seems like a weird size for Halo 4. I don't know just how many maps can support it perfectly.

Thanks.

5v5 seems like a weird size for Halo 4. I don't know just how many maps can support it perfectly.

That doesnt stop any of the other playlists in 4!

(Objective was 5v5 wasnt it? Then they realised they made too many big team battle maps and made it 6v6 - for more funs per minute)

God Halo 4 is bad. I'm getting angry just thinking about how shittily the playlist and maps and playersize is.

Striker

That doesnt stop any of the other playlists in 4!

(Objective was 5v5 wasnt it? Then they realised they made too many big team battle maps and made it 6v6 - for more funs per minute)

God Halo 4 is bad. I'm getting angry just thinking about how shittily the playlist and maps and playersize is.
Team Skirmish was 4v4 in Halo 2. It was also 4v4 in Halo 3 when it was ranked, but it was 5v5 under the social playlist. It was 4v4 in Reach until 343 changed it. It began 4v4 in Halo 4 with King/Oddball/TeamRegicide but later became 6v6.

Clown show.

Ghazi

You know what I just realized would be badass? A Master Chef or Cortana guest appearance in Killer Instinct. I mean if Nicole-458 was in Dead or Alive 4 (<3 DoA) then it should be simple enough to get another Halo character in to MS's own first party game. Imagine the crossover!

edit: TitanFall 60fps gameplay

I really hope they make Social Slayer in Halo 3 4v4 before they make the game free. It would make a world of difference in matchmaking time/ lag/ and the flow of the match.

4v4 Halo is best Halo. BTB is great but I dont want every mode moving towards more players.

TheOddOne

Why big pictures? Because, buck Elzar.

jbohWKQhQ6IxzX.png

jbedBt93eFHR0t.png

Yep, that sure looks like The Ark.

jbi3I0rNpULuo9.png

Oh look, cracked and everything. Second level = Chief is rebuilt, errything ok.

jbdvdXktOV9Ji0.png

No mention of "Reclaimer Saga", strange.

Buck Elzar.

IHaveIce

Banned
I really hope they make Social Slayer in Halo 3 4v4 before they make the game free. It would make a world of difference in matchmaking time/ lag/ and the flow of the match.

4v4 Halo is best Halo. BTB is great but I dont want every mode moving towards more players.

I couldn't agree with you more. Some people say they would like to see Halo move to 16v16 and I am just disgusted by the thought of it. Even bigger maps, the standard would be bigger than 4v4 and more :(

God 4v4 Halo is GOAT on arena maps

Not so sure, the planet on the backround is... wrong.
Sure, it could be, if it has received some visual overhaul and retconning.

343, in the Forerunner saga, revealed that there is more than just one Ark, and there are two different sizes. Not sure if I agree with that direction, but no visual overhaul or retconning is needed here.

daedalius

There is fiction out there that basically says the Ark is still in one piece, however heavily damaged. It could also be repairing itself.

Mendicant Bias is buried there.

Woorloog

Banned
343 retconning would not be too suprising though.

http://i.imgur.com/bUz9ogi.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="Dax01, post: 63387256"]343, in the Forerunner saga, revealed that there is more than just one Ark, and there are two different sizes. Not sure if I agree with that direction, but no visual overhaul or retconning is needed here.[/QUOTE]

[quote="daedalius, post: 63387956"]There is fiction out there that basically says the Ark is still in one piece, however heavily damaged. It could also be repairing itself.

Mendicant Bias is buried there.[/QUOTE]

Hmm.
Now that i think of this, the Ark being the setting, or partial setting, for Halo 5 sounds pretty sure.
I don't think it will be the Greater Ark though. Did it survive Silentium? Still haven't gotten my hands on that book.

Ghazi

There is fiction out there that basically says the Ark is still in one piece, however heavily damaged. It could also be repairing itself.

Mendicant Bias is buried there.

Sure, but right now I can't think of why 343 would want to bring back an AI that
allied with the Flood
or what relevance that could have to the current story, unless they're bringing the flood back of course. It's just that since Mendicant Bias is unsympathetic to both Chief's race or the Didact I can't see a reason for it's revival/digging up unless the flood themselves do it. Repairing the ark is also something I'm sure has happened since a lot of the Promethean "big guns" like the Halos and any other tech they've had has rebuilt/repaired themselves throughout the series.

Sure, but right now I can't think of why 343 would want to bring back an AI that
allied with the Flood
or what relevance that could have to the current story, unless they're bringing the flood back of course. It's just that since Mendicant Bias is unsympathetic to both Chief's race or the Didact I can't see a reason for it's revival/digging up unless the flood themselves do it. Repairing the ark is also something I'm sure has happened since a lot of the Promethean "big guns" like the Halos and any other tech they've had has rebuilt/repaired themselves throughout the series.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the most pointless use of the spoiler tag ever.

Madness

I thought BioWare did a good job with the 'free to play' dlc for Mass Effect 3. I spent almost 4+ months playing, and it never negatively impacted my game if I couldn't have anything that they released.

They made maps, enemies and challenges free for everyone. They locked new characters and weapons behind a pay structure.

The more you played, the more credits you could get to purchase packs with a chance to get the characters. A few hours of playing and you could get a premium spectre pack etc. And you might get one of the new characters or weapons.

Sure some people paid, I know I spent some points trying to get some characters, but it worked really well. You could get it all by just playing. They even started challenges and for those who completed them, they got rewards like top tier weapons or characters.

I know very little of how League's pay model works, but from what I've heard it's the perfect example of how not to do a free to play game. From what I've been told, you either stick with shitty heroes long enough to acquire enough points (which I've been told is a ridiculous amount) to purchase a much better hero or you just flat out pay for one. So what ends up happening is the dude who purchased the best set of heroes to choose from will have a serious advantage over someone who didn't. It's pay to win, and it's complete shit.
Whoever told you that has serious Dota goggles on. It's not like that. They offer a good set of rotating free champions each week, it's been really quick for me to get IP and the champions that I want to play.

Is it perfect? Fuck no, but not half as bad as that scaremongering.

daedalius

allied with the Flood

Play the last level of Halo 3 on legendary, and go to the terminal.

I wouldn't say Mendicant Bias is 'unsympathetic'.

Also, there is a huge additional chapter hidden on waypoint to Silentium; in which there is some dialogue with Mendicant Bias... which seems VERY relevant.

Ghazi

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the most pointless use of the spoiler tag ever.

I removed it because it's a plot point in the Forerunner trilogy, in which the reader didn't know that he had done that until the book revealed it to him/her if they had not read any other Halo fiction. I originally didn't have the spoiler tag and edited it in just in case, I don't see how it's pointless but I don't think it was required.

Play the last level of Halo 3 on legendary, and go to the terminal.

I guess I'm lucky that MS is giving me the game for free then because I don't have my Halo 3 disc anymore. I'll check it out whenever they give it to me, or I'll just read the terminal online in like 30 minutes.

Also, there is a huge additional chapter hidden on waypoint to Silentium; in which there is some dialogue with Mendicant Bias... which seems VERY relevant.

Ah, I unlocked it but I never took the time to watch the whole thing. I'll definitely check that out too then.

I think the Promegerine Falcon that comes out of the sand is a Seeker guarding Mendicant's tomb, not a War Sphinx.

A cat named War in the trailer, you say? I got hired confirmed

Ghazi

You guys know way more of the Halo story than I do.

Sounds like another language.

All you need to know about the Halo is story is that this 7-foot guy in green armor travels to different worlds killing aliens while carrying a super advanced naked AI. And that Palmer sucks.

Thermite

Whoever told you that has serious Dota goggles on. It's not like that. They offer a good set of rotating free champions each week, it's been really quick for me to get IP and the champions that I want to play.

Is it perfect? Fuck no, but not half as bad as that scaremongering.

Oh ok, guess I was told completely wrong then, lol. I've never played a game of League before in my life, so I don't know how any of it works at all. What you're saying doesn't sound too bad, I guess. Does Riot offer a like a $60 version where you get all the characters or are you forced to either buy them individually/grind until you unlock what you want?

You guys know way more of the Halo story than I do.

Sounds like another language.

Long story short: Forerunners created an AI to fight ancient Gravemind. Gravemind brainwashed the AI and the whole war went to shit and required commissioning the Halo rings. It's buried/imprisoned on The Ark, and came to its senses after everyone died. It slowed down Alpha Halo (2)'s destruction which is how Chief always stayed ahead of the falling pieces in Halo 3's finale. This AI, Mendicant Bias, presumably died during Alpha Halo (2)'s activation which also damaged/destroyed(?) The Ark. 343 retconned this a bit so it seems that Mendicant Bias is still alive.

daedalius

Long story short: Forerunners created an AI to fight ancient Gravemind. Gravemind brainwashed the AI and the whole war went to shit and required commissioning the Halo rings. It's buried/imprisoned on The Ark, and came to its senses after everyone died. It slowed down Alpha Halo (2)'s destruction which is how Chief always stayed ahead of the falling pieces in Halo 3's finale. This AI, Mendicant Bias, presumably died during Alpha Halo (2)'s activation which also damaged/destroyed(?) The Ark. 343 retconned this a bit so it seems that Mendicant Bias is still alive.

Why would Mendicant Bias have died during Halo 2's activation if he is buried in the ark?

I think there was a fragment of him/it in the Dreadnought, right?

Hmm.
Now that i think of this, the Ark being the setting, or partial setting, for Halo 5 sounds pretty sure.
I don't think it will be the Greater Ark though. Did it survive Silentium? Still haven't gotten my hands on that book.

No it didn't. Got blowed up during the Forerunners' last stand against the bad guys.

Why would Mendicant Bias have died during Halo 2's activation if he is buried in the ark?

I think there was a fragment of him/it in the Dreadnought, right?

The "replacement... for the ring you destroyed," not Delta Halo. Alpha Halo (2) is the Ark's replacement ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom