• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really hope Halo 5 is good, so my purchase with the Xbox One isn't regretted. :/

Really nothing makes me want a Xbox One but Forza, and Halo. I know I'll love Forza Motorsport 5, but Halo 5... I'm not sure anymore.

If Forza is the main reason you want a One, have you tried any PS3 racer exclusives?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
8W4hucO.gif
LOL

If Forza is the main reason you want a One, have you tried any PS3 racer exclusives?

I hate Need For Speed and Gran Turismo. :( Just not as good as Forza, in my opinion.

I view Forza in the same way I viewed Halo, best of the best in it's genre. Sure Sony has Kill Zone, but it just doesn't compare to Halo. Same with Forza, yeah Sony has it's own racing simulator, but it just doesn't compare to Forza. :/

wwm0nkey

I hate Need For Speed and Gran Turismo. :( Just not as good as Forza, in my opinion.

I view Forza in the same way I viewed Halo, best of the best in it's genre. Sure Sony has Kill Zone, but it just doesn't compare to Halo. Same with Forza, yeah Sony has it's own racing simulator, but it just doesn't compare to Forza. :/

Seems like this Forza cut out A LOT of stuff like weather, day/night and a few other things from what I've seen talked about.

I mean there is Drive Club too and thats a new IP so it can be good. If Forza is your main driving force to get one go for it but if I were you I would wait for some reviews.

I get this weird Halo mixed with Mass Effect vibe from Destiny. Which is pretty cool thing because those have been two of my favorite series this gen.

DeadNames

Banned
I don't know if halo 5 is enough to bring me to the bone, especially considering 343s vision of mp. if the bone does well and 343 makes a GOOD mp, I'll get it. the ps4 is looking better in almost all regards.

I get this weird Halo mixed with Mass Effect vibe from Destiny. Which is pretty cool thing because those have been two of my favorite series this gen.

It's bumming me out honestly. I'm seeing Mass Effect + Halo + Star Wars + Ghost in the Shell and I don't like two and a half of those.

I just want Halo CE + ODST + Metroid Prime + Tron + teeny bit of Borderlands 2. :(

Woorloog

Banned

Eh? IMO it is Call of Duty+World of Warcraft mixed with Halo's art. Not sure where the Mass Effect part comes in, don't see it in aesthetics, art, enemies, gameplay... WoW supplies the space magic ;)

daedalius

Eh? IMO it is Call of Duty+World of Warcraft mixed with Halo's art. Not sure where the Mass Effect part comes in, don't see it in aesthetics, art, enemies, gameplay... WoW supplies the space magic ;)

Uh, I think you may be forgetting one of the endings from Mass Effect; IT HAS PLENTY OF SPACE MAGIC.

But yea, when I was watching the Destiny demo at the press conference, I was just like, "yep, its an mmo."

Ramirez

Try as I might, that Destiny demo just doesn't hype me. I feel like the game has to be so much more, so I wish they would have showed some of the best features of the game. That demo just looks like Borderlands with more people.

Woorloog

Banned
Uh, I think you may be forgetting one of the endings from Mass Effect; IT HAS PLENTY OF SPACE MAGIC.

But yea, when I was watching the Destiny demo at the press conference, I was just like, "yep, its an mmo."
Sure, Mass Effect has space magic... but so does WoW (well, in it is just magic even in space (Outland), but there is no real difference between space and normal magic). Destiny is a science-fantasy game more than merely science-fiction, i think. (That said, Mass Effect turned more and more into space-fantasy, specifically in ME3)
Its Borderlands with some Oblivion n Halo n Diablo looting.

Always online, public areas where you meet random people, hub areas, presumably WoW's Battleground-like PVP... very much a (pseudo-)MMO. But yeah, Oblivion and Diablo are good comparison's as well.

Woorloog

Banned
To my fellow dingleblainders: is there such a thing as having too high a skill curve in competitive multiplayer?

As long as it is a game that is easy to start playing for new gamers or players, no. And as long as matchmaking is good.
If your game is too hard to start playing, or has fucked up matchmaking, it may hurt the game more, leaving only very niche audience.
Gotta remember games are business.

Booshka

To my fellow dingleblainders: is there such a thing as having too high a skill curve in competitive multiplayer?

Shadowrun kind of has this problem. If you just try to hop in and play without having someone help you, you're gonna get shit on hard, and for a while.

There is no quick respawn in SR, outside of being rezzed once or twice in a round, so you will get brutally murdered, then wait around watching other people play. Most players can't even figure out how to properly shoot in that game when they first start, let alone using all the powers and races. The tutorials are good, but they don't cover enough of the mechanics and they don't teach you about some of the gunplay mechanics.

I've seen scores of "competitive" Halo and CoD players quit Shadowrun because they thought it was too hard to get into, too hard to kill people, and didn't have respawn.

Singleplayer helps this problem by getting people used to the mechanics on their own time against AI. They can take their time and get used to the systems, easier to get into MP that way. But SR doesn't have that, so a lot of people never get comfortable playing the game and just quit shortly thereafter.

Same thing happens with MOBA's, Starcraft 2, a lot of fighting games and some other high skill shooters (mostly PC FPS).

Fuchsdh

I'd say so. There's sometimes a fine line between making something that takes a lot of skill and/or knowledge to master, and one that makes you feel like you're fighting *against* the game rather than the other player.

This is why old RTSs suffer so much in hindsight to me. StarCraft II has so many more usability features in terms of idling worker selection, hotkeying multiple command groups, and switching between abilities on different units that going back to play StarCraft I is painful. Likewise, Age of Empires II was so much better designed then Age of Empires (where you could literally lose villagers behind the buildings they had just finished building.) I often hear old StarCraft players say that these limitations were part of the "skill" of the game, but that sounds more like "I mastered this system and don't wanna learn another."

Tawpgun

Shadowrun kind of has this problem. If you just try to hop in and play without having someone help you, you're gonna get shit on hard, and for a while.

There is no quick respawn in SR, outside of being rezzed once or twice in a round, so you will get brutally murdered, then wait around watching other people play. Most players can't even figure out how to properly shoot in that game when they first start, let alone using all the powers and races. The tutorials are good, but they don't cover enough of the mechanics and they don't teach you about some of the gunplay mechanics.

I've seen scores of "competitive" Halo and CoD players quit Shadowrun because they thought it was too hard to get into, too hard to kill people, and didn't have respawn.

Singleplayer helps this problem by getting people used to the mechanics on their own time against AI. They can take their time and get used to the systems, easier to get into MP that way. But SR doesn't have that, so a lot of people never get comfortable playing the game and just quit shortly thereafter.

Same thing happens with MOBA's, Starcraft 2, a lot of fighting games and some other high skill shooters (mostly PC FPS).
It also doesn't help some of the tutorials give you shitty strategies. Elf and katana? Lol!

Duji

Yeah, that's why single player, a good matchmaking system, and a healthy population are all very important when it comes to accommodating people into high skill gap games.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, that's why single player, a good matchmaking system, and a healthy population are all very important when it comes to accommodating people into high skill gap games.

Single player is not essential if there is excellent tutorial and other systems (practice mode, bots, not single player as in "campaign" or "story mode") for learning the game.

Tawpgun

Has there been a single good thing confirmed about the X1? Is the game sharing feature detailed yet?
Family game sharing plan is literally better than anything on the ps4.

The only people getting negatively affected by xb1 policies are people who will buy primarily disc games.

With day 1 digital download why would you ever go to a store ever again.

Woorloog

Banned

The only people getting negatively affected by xb1 policies are people who will buy primarily disc games.

Prices... I always get the cheapest game, doesn't matter if i have to wait or not.
I really doubt MS's digital download prices will be low, or get lowered faster or equally fast as retail games do.

EDIT as long as i save 5€ or more.

Fuchsdh

I personally really like the idea of having a hard copy of all my digital media that I own--it means if I'm backing up my media I've got two copies aside from the original at all times. That's why I buy CDs still unless I can't find a good deal or I only want one or two songs off the album. I recognize this is a minority viewpoint, of course.

Tawpgun

Prices... I always get the cheapest game, doesn't matter if i have to wait or not.
I really doubt MS's digital download prices will be low, or get lowered faster or equally fast as retail games do.

EDIT as long as i save 5€ or more.
Yeah they dropped the ball with games on demand, hopefully with their push for digital download they can get cheaper games.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Yeah they dropped the ball with games on demand, hopefully with their push for digital download they can get cheaper games.

That's exactly what they're aiming for by having day one releases have a digital counterpart. Microsoft really wants to have their Steam on consoles over time.

Woorloog

Banned
That's exactly what they're aiming for by having day one releases have a digital counterpart. Microsoft really wants to have their Steam on consoles over time.

Why do i have feeling they will manage to screw this up as well?
I mean, it feels like they've shot themselves into foot every day since Xbone reveal...

Booshka

I mean, it feels like they've shot themselves into foot every day since Xbone reveal...

Games for Windows Live is an excellent service with competitive pricing.

/sarcasm

Well the Steam model can happen because manufacturing and retail are not part of the equation, cutting out the costs of those processes and therefore being able to pass those discounts into the consumer.

The more Xbox moves away from retail and discs, the easier a Steam-like model is achievable.

Digital or bust!

Yeah, I don't have anything on that level planned. I'm working on a UI proof-of-concept for the loadout selection screen and it explains just about everything to your class's stats, loadout weapon properties, etc. I would probably combine Minecraft's always-available How to Play dialogues and a tutorial video/demo in the style of Sakurai's "YOU MUST RECOVER" ones.

Going to make sure this is obvious: these weapons are not meant to work in Halo. All game mechanics listed below are designed for an entirely separate arena shooter project.

At this point I'm mainly referring to the three primary weapons you start with because they have some unconventional ammo mechanics behind them.

The Opus is basically a revolver-sized spiritual successor to the Phase Rifle, meaning it's a combo of the CE Magnum and the Beam Rifle. 32-shot max capacity (which you spawn with), 16-shot clip, 4-shot kill. Thing is, it can also overheat if you spam the trigger too quickly, as a replacement to recoil or spread. If you're firing at maximum speed, it will always overheat on the 4th shot. If you perform a useless overheat by spamming and missing a shot, the overheat will get rid of all the ammo in your entire clip, potentially losing you up to 12 shots. This "fail overheat" is also incredibly loud and gives your gun a lens flare visible to everyone until cooldown. However, getting a kill on the fourth shot counts as a "good overheat," and will not be very visible or particularly loud. A "good overheat" is also doubly useful because it immediately replenishes your ammo (up to 4 shots) over the course of the 2 to 3-second cooldown. In other words, a good shot can fire as fast as they want and not worry about losing ammo just as long as they're getting kills. An intermediate marksman, while unable to get as quick kills, can still get up to 8 kills with a full Opus just as long as they pace themselves. A beginner will find themselves wasting their two clips immediately if they don't aim for the head.

The Primer is the only automatic weapon in the game and is medium-range. It uses pretty much the same combined battery/ammo mechanic, but I haven't nailed down specifics. More than likely I'll force people to pulse/burst-fire with the trigger to get effective kills otherwise they'll waste all their ammo, too.

You also spawn with two Aether Grenades. When thrown, they're orbited by white "hardlight bees" making it incredibly obvious where they're going. If you manage to get a headshot with one, it'll temporarily blind the enemy. On its own, a lone grenade cannot kill someone. A one-grenade detonation releases a spherical white pulse called a Resonance Cascade that will strip some shielding; the radius is about half that of a Pulse Grenade. The catch is that this Resonance Cascade will detonate any live grenades caught in the blast radius; an Aether Grenade (so, your second grenade in most cases) caught in a Resonance Cascade will be able to damage health and have its pulse do double damage and have twice the blast radius, making it more than enough to kill someone.

If you have a coordinated team, you can effectively teamshoot with grenades, which is called "Cascading."

Let me know if I'm losing you guys, but I'm trying to get genuine feedback.

Duji

Single player is not essential if there is excellent tutorial and other systems (practice mode, bots, not single player as in "campaign" or "story mode") for learning the game.

Yeah, you're right.

And for the record I believe automatic precision weapons > single or burst precision weapons just because there's a greater separation in skill. If your aim is 0.5% better than your opponent's and you are both using the same spreadless automatic rifle, you will always win. You can't say the same if the weapons were burst or single shot. The only foreseeable problem with using precision automatic weapons is that they might make sniping very difficult when it comes to Halo. I guess the automatic weapon not having a scope would be in order. Also the headshot bonus would have to be nerfed or completely removed. Do you guys think a precision automatic rifle would work in Halo?

m23

Seems like this Forza cut out A LOT of stuff like weather, day/night and a few other things from what I've seen talked about.

I mean there is Drive Club too and thats a new IP so it can be good. If Forza is your main driving force to get one go for it but if I were you I would wait for some reviews.

Forza didn't really cut weather/day and night since they were never in previous games. People were hoping those would be included in Forza 5 considering we have new hardware, but it was confirmed they wouldn't be doing it. It is unfortunate but the game will no doubt be a hell of a racer regardless. 1080p at 60fps will be amazing in a game like Forza.

They did cut the auction house sort of, there is no auctioning, rather than have people pay credits for things beforehand, creators are paid when people use their designs/art.

There are some great additions to the series, especially open wheel cars.

Forza is a system seller for me.

Yeah, you're right.

And for the record I believe automatic precision weapons > single or burst precision weapons just because there's a greater separation in skill. If your aim is 0.5% better than your opponent's and you are both using the same spreadless automatic rifle, you will always win. You can't say the same if the weapons were burst or single shot. The only foreseeable problem with using precision automatic weapons is that they might make sniping very difficult when it comes to Halo. I guess the automatic weapon not having a scope would be in order. Also the headshot bonus would have to be nerfed or completely removed. Do you guys think a precision automatic rifle would work in Halo?

The Magnum was alright. My main concern would be it getting added with our current game mechanics.

Precision rifle automatic + flinch = wape culcha

wwm0nkey

Forza didn't really cut weather/day and night since they were never in previous games. People were hoping those would be included in Forza 5 considering we have new hardware, but it was confirmed they wouldn't be doing it. It is unfortunate but the game will no doubt be a hell of a racer regardless. 1080p at 60fps will be amazing in a game like Forza.

They did cut the auction house sort of, there is no auctioning, rather than have people pay credits for things beforehand, creators are paid when people use their designs/art.

There are some great additions to the series, especially open wheel cars.

Forza is a system seller for me.

Ah I assumed it was in because people seemed pretty upset about it not being in this one.

Booshka

Yeah, you're right.

So you want like an M4A1, or AK47, except with no bullet spread. And because it is Halo, no recoil. That would be god awful.

EDIT: Sarcasm by the way. :p Cause no one caught it. Just having a little fun with ideas because my friend told me to have a Xbox One party on Skype XD

Apparently my sister said they have a Xbox One cake at Baskin Robins. Tempted to buy it, and have an Xbox One party. :)

Every cool person in my life (aka Xbox One buyers) is invited XD. It would have fit if she bought it for Father's Day, cause my Dad does play Xbox. I know for a fact that majority of my family is getting the XBox One. Me, my dad, my sister, and my brother in law+my sister are all getting a personal Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom