• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duji

So you want like an M4A1, or AK47, except with no bullet spread. And because it is Halo, no recoil. That would be god awful.

Why would it be awful? The player that can keep their reticle on the other player for a longer period of time wins the battle. How does that sound bad?

Guys didn't catch the sarcasm, okay. :p

But I did want to go to Baskin Robins to buy the cake, because it sounds kind of cool. My sister just got a random mint cake with some delicious frosting. I feel kind of scummy caues I didn't buy my Dad anything for Father's Day. I asked him what he would like and he said he didn't want anything, so I just went with that because I couldn't find anything to give him. Just woke him up, told him Happy Father's Day, gave him a hug, and pitched in for the Ice Cream cake and food for his special Dinner.

Booshka

Why would it be awful? The player that can keep their reticle on the other player for a longer period of time wins the battle. How does that sound bad?

This works for the Lightning Gun in Quake 3 because you have to aim with M+KB with no assists and have pixel perfect accuracy, all while you are moving extremely fast and strafing. Having LG fights on the other end of teleporters and up and down different levels. In Halo, especially the last couple that have little to no strafe, huge hitboxes and generous aim assist, it would be a joke.

Go into Reach and have some Focus Rifle fights, who can keep their reticule on the other player for longer is hardly a rewarding way to play a shooter, especially on console.

Fuchsdh

Guys didn't catch the sarcasm, okay. :p

But I did want to go to Baskin Robins to buy the cake, because it sounds kind of cool. My sister just got a random mint cake with some delicious frosting. I feel kind of scummy caues I didn't buy my Dad anything for Father's Day. I asked him what he would like and he said he didn't want anything, so I just went with that because I couldn't find anything to give him. Just woke him up, told him Happy Father's Day, gave him a hug, and pitched in for the Ice Cream cake and food for his special Dinner.

Ice cream cakes are always disappointing. It is known.

Duji

This works for the Lightning Gun in Quake 3 because you have to aim with M+KB with no assists and have pixel perfect accuracy, all while you are moving extremely fast and strafing. Having LG fights on the other end of teleporters and up and down different levels. In Halo, especially the last couple that have little to no strafe, huge hitboxes and generous aim assist, it would be a joke.

Obviously it wouldn't work well with the current aim assist values and all. The Focus Rifle is junk.

who can keep their reticule on the other player for longer is hardly a rewarding way to play a shooter, especially on console.
What are you talking about? Winning a 1v1 Lightning Gun fight in Quake is one of the most satisfying feelings in that game.

Go into Reach and have some Focus Rifle fights, who can keep their reticule on the other player for longer is hardly a rewarding way to play a shooter, especially on console.

I'm trying to remember, is the lightning gun a sniper? Doesn't the laser sight "paint" targets with an electromagnetic charge or something equally amazing?

Booshka

Obviously it wouldn't work well with the current aim assist values and all. The Focus Rifle is junk.

What are you talking about? Winning a 1v1 Lightning Gun fight in Quake is one of the most satisfying feelings in that game.

Because it is Quake, I already said why it works. Most console FPS are slow and easy to aim.

Booshka

Why would switching from single shot to automatic change anything? If anything it should increase the skill gap. Kill trading happens way too often in these recent Halo games.

I think the biggest problem it would create is long range encounters where you just want to pop some decent guaranteed damage quickly. Your proposal is highly dependent on sustained damage, people would just run into cover once they got hit, and since it is damage over time, you would net less damage. I think the game would slow down way too much.

Also, you would have to adjust all kinds of weapons and damage values to adjust to a perfectly accurate damage over time weapon. I just don't think it would work for Halo especially because of the shield mechanic. In Quake, that damage is permanent and can only be remedied with health and armor pickups which force you to move around the map, and the other weapons all have their roles and are properly balanced around this fast, constant movement, cycling pickups around the map.

Team Halo would be slow and campy if your idea went into effect, because people could just shrug off the damage and get their shields back. Having the guaranteed medium to high damage of a single shot or burst weapon is better suited for the main utility weapon in a game with recharging shields.

The Last of Us... Holy shit. The fact that Naughty Dog went from making their playful 8-10 hour Uncharted games to the 15+ hour The Last of Us is amazing. One of the most mature stories in gaming by far. And some of the best gameplay as well. I Sam Fishered that game hardcore lol.

Duji

I think the biggest problem it would create is long range encounters where you just want to pop some decent guaranteed damage quickly. Your proposal is highly dependent on sustained damage, people would just run into cover once they got hit, and since it is damage over time, you would net less damage. I think the game would slow down way too much.

Also, you would have to adjust all kinds of weapons and damage values to adjust to a perfectly accurate damage over time weapon. I just don't think it would work for Halo especially because of the shield mechanic. In Quake, that damage is permanent and can only be remedied with health and armor pickups which force you to move around the map, and the other weapons all have their roles and are properly balanced around this fast, constant movement, cycling pickups around the map.

Team Halo would be slow and campy if your idea went into effect, because people could just shrug off the damage and get their shields back. Having the guaranteed medium to high damage of a single shot or burst weapon is better suited for the main utility weapon in a game with recharging shields.
Ideally I would want both automatic and non automatic options available. Make it based mostly on preference. Auto with a slightly faster kill time (100-200ms) so it fares better in 1v1s and non auto for burst damage and clean ups.

Omni

Halo Wars legendary AI is poo (automantic 127). I can't keep up with them. It's impossible. I had an army of 10 grizzlies and two vultures, plus four bases to their one. They had ~15 ODST units and two hornets and maybe a elephant or two.

And yet they beat me. Wut. I was micromanaging too and focusing on single units at a time. Even canister shells by the grizzlies couldn't kill the infantry. I'm completely dumbfounded.

Ramirez

Editing a video to see how much I've spent on my Xbox Live avatar, and show-casing what I've bought.

At 1200 points currently.
On just shirts lol

It's already embarrassing enough that you've admitted to wasting so much money, please don't make yourself look even more stupid by editing a video showcasing it all.

wMToT1v.gif

On things that wont exist nextgen!

Kinect Sports Rivals will be my savior. Surely you can use your avatar there. (I mean, what else will you play as? Never played Kinect Sports so I really don't know.)

2400 so far!
Tops, Bottoms, and Hats done so far

No but seriously, Avatars not being used on Xbox One was the most disappointing feature for me. What was wrong with them? They were fun. :/

Omni

Kinect Sports Rivals will be my savior. Surely you can use your avatar there. (I mean, what else will you play as? Never played Kinect Sports so I really don't know.)

2400 so far!
Tops, Bottoms, and Hats done so far

No but seriously, Avatars not being used on Xbox One was the most disappointing feature for me. What was wrong with them? They were fun. :/
If you were like 12

TCKaos

Found this on twitter, thought you'd enjoy

Also, does anyone here play Planetside 2?

I have it installed and I'm not against playing it, if that's what you mean.

I can't fly anything for shit, though. I can fly choppers and jets in ARMA II but the VTOLs in Planetside elude me.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Why do people still play Halo 4 competitively? Honest question. Do they delude themselves into thinking all the Halo 1-Reach guys stopped playing because they just couldn't swing it anymore or are they just that desperate to be a "pro Halo player"?

DeadNames

Banned
Why do people still play Halo 4 competitively? Honest question. Do they delude themselves into thinking all the Halo 1-Reach guys stopped playing because they just couldn't swing it anymore or are they just that desperate to be a "pro Halo player"?

Probably because it's the closest thing to a competent arena shooter on consoles.

and exactly at 5,000 points after counting Tops, Bottoms, Shoes, Eyewear, Props, and hats. Just gotta do Dress-Up and I've got my total spent.

Man, if anyone out there spent more than me on Avatar stuff, I kind of feel bad for him/her.

wwm0nkey

Awesome, I'm finishing up the installation, then I'm gonna try it out. I guess if I like it we can get some game time in together guys!

Start it up and then exit it and then look for .ini fixes to make your performance better. It ran like shit when I put it on Max with my 470 but then I used the fixes (which mostly fixed shadows) and now I can run it just fine and it looks AMAZING.

Overdoziz

Banned
Performance was pretty mediocre for me with Planetside 2. Also had no idea what was going on so quit pretty soon. I'm up for playing it with some GAFfers, though.
Start it up and then exit it and then look for .ini fixes to make your performance better. It ran like shit when I put it on Max with my 470 but then I used the fixes (which mostly fixed shadows) and now I can run it just fine and it looks AMAZING.
Hm, I'll look into this.

Mix

Links? if not then it's cool

wwm0nkey

Links? if not then it's cool

Posted above, but you guys should see a big improvement in FPS and visuals since its bumping things to Ultra. Also enable Fog Shadows because its amazing lol

EDIT: Here is how it looks for me with the .ini tweak at 60FPS on a i5/GTX470 and to give some people switching over to PS4/PC a sense of the scale of this game ;)
(This is like 1/50th of the map size....and thats just one map)

I still don't count AGL as a league so from my point of view its not actually possible to go pro in Halo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom