• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrible
tumblr_lmd0da7Wu21qzbkx0o1_400.gif

HaloGAF hasn't been an absolute shithole of straight up awfulness since the split, I see no reason to mess that up.

Fuchsdh

Personally I too prefer the split, the Halo 4 OT has been less hostile and more Halo. Still has some OT though.

We do need a general Halo OT though.

I just bring general Halo stuff here, thread title be damned. Let the "community" thread be full of crap for all I care.

If anyone hasn't played any of Petetheduck's minigame customs, you're missing out. Onslaught Infection and Speedrun are some great gametypes.

Woorloog

Banned
Personally I too prefer the split, the Halo 4 OT has been less hostile and more Halo. Still has some OT though.

We do need a general Halo OT though.

Turn next Halo 4 thread to Halo OT, with talk limited to Halo games only (well, perhaps Halo EU as well, since there's the TV show coming), done.
HolaGAF is for off-topic.

I just bring general Halo stuff here, thread title be damned. Let the "community" thread be full of crap for all I care.

If anyone hasn't played any of Petetheduck's minigame customs, you're missing out. Onslaught Infection and Speedrun are some great gametypes.

That is the Halo posting I've been using since the split. Spartan Ops had its own threads and did well too so maybe the mods have some good community work in these threads.

Turn next Halo 4 thread to Halo OT, with talk limited to Halo games only (well, perhaps Halo EU as well, since there's the TV show coming), done.

Seems logical and I'd be ok with this too.

Me. Day One, bitches.

Me too, Day One.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
There's no reason for this thread to exist.
Terrible
tumblr_lmd0da7Wu21qzbkx0o1_400.gif

HaloGAF hasn't been an absolute shithole of straight up awfulness since the split, I see no reason to mess that up.
chaotic neutral dgaf about your logics

Woorloog

Banned
There's no reason for this thread to exist.
No? I like it here better. Since i no longer play Halo multiplayer. Keeps the shit out of Halo thread.
Ultimately i think this ended up being a good move, though this thread still suffers from sort of identity crisis.

(I think that moving a lot of "community threads" to Community sub-forum was a good idea in retrospect, actual OT forum is much cleaner now)

Halo should have a thread in each subsection of GAF.

The gaming side thread where you only discuss the Halo game and that should be broken down in seperate threads for each different Halo game. Any posts comparing two Halo games must be cross posted into each respective thread and hot linked.

Then gaming community should each have a thread dedicated to gaming split into different threads for each game, and content should be limited to discussion involving that games community and playing the game and other such things involving the game and the community.

Then off topic thread for Halo. Where all topics not involving the games but still involving Halo can be discussed.

Then the off topic community Halo thread should be where all other talk is done.

That'll about do it! If unsure, regarding where your post should go, contact a GAF mod for an official ruling.

so do you guys want a new thread or not?

Yes, the slowed down activity in both threads is a big shame that came from the split. Just have one Halo OT, it makes more sense then having a thread for us to talk about Halo games, and another for Halo Fans to talk about other stuff, yet the discussion still mainly stays about Halo.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
No? I like it here better. Since i no longer play Halo multiplayer. Keeps the shit out of Halo thread.
Ultimately i think this ended up being a good move, though this thread still suffers from sort of identity crisis.
This was just a thread to shovel the Halo fanbase of GAF into since the actual OT's got meta heavy.

The thread is entirely composed of off-topic discussion. You know where there is off-topic discussion? In off-topic.

Does it make sense to have a Halo topic for Halo fans to discuss everything non-Halo? Is there an offtopic NFL/Beer/MMA/POP/etc thread? No there isn't. So why is this still here?

Woorloog

Banned
This was just a thread to shovel the Halo fanbase of GAF into since the main OT's got meta heavy.

The thread is entirely composed of off-topic discussion. You know where there is off-topic discussion? In off-topic.

Does it make sense to have a Halo topic for Halo fans to discuss everything non-Halo? Is there an offtopic NFL/Beer/MMA/POP/etc thread? No there isn't. So why is this still here?

I did say this has something of an identity crisis.
But i really doubt people will avoid meta and off-topic if these threads are condensed back to Halo (Community) OT.
Other OTs seem to be sticking with the actual subject much more strongly than HaloGAF did.

This was just a thread to shovel the Halo fanbase of GAF into since the main OT's got meta heavy.

Halo 4 has Infinity, Pro and Legendary. We need Halo, Hola, and HaloGAF.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I did say this has something of an identity crisis.
But i really doubt people will avoid meta and off-topic if these threads are condensed back to Halo (Community) OT.
Other OTs seem to be sticking with the actual subject much more strongly than HaloGAF did.
They do.

See: Offseason threads.
Halo 4 has Infinity, Pro and Legendary. We need Halo, Hola, and HaloGAF.
I like your new avatar.

Ghazi

A) Yeah I got TLOU at RedBox, walked in right behind the guy who returned it and called it a piece of shit when I asked him if it was good.

B) What is that Robert Downey Jr thing? Two people on my Facebook have that photo now.

A) Yeah I got TLOU at RedBox, walked in right behind the guy who returned it and called it a piece of shit when I asked him if it was good.

B) What is that Robert Downey Jr thing? Two people on my Facebook have that photo now.

Game is amazing but so rage inducing and frustrating (at least to me), The Multiplayer isn't very good, and I doubt you'd be able to play it since the multiplayer requires an Online Pass.

Amazing single player though.

This thread is a bunch of things and they all lead to the same place which is, funnily enough, the opposite of what the split was meant to achieve.

The problem with the old way was we got too meta and we became too insular. Fair point I guess. We had been warned on various occasions and were told to be a little more welcoming. This had people scratching their heads. Why not jst get rid of the bad apples instead of moving the tree if the bad apples were the problem?

Now we're here. Mostly because we might not discuss Halo for a while. That's the thing about the Gaming Community threads. They are places to play the game with other Gaffers and to converse about those games. We are in a weird limbo whereby a lot of us play older games or don't even play at all and just wanna talk.

The result?

We're an arguably far more insular community. Who is going to look to join this thread? People who don't play Halo 4 who want to talk to other people who don't play Halo 4?

Fracas

#fuckonami
This isn't even an OT. It's just a thread where random people talk about random things. I don't see the point. I feel there should just be one thread again, and the offending posters be addressed.

Hydra nailed it.

You've never watched the show, then watched something from the end of the third season, and wondered why you don't understand the context of importance of what you just watched?

Seriously?

That's why I want to understand the context, and why I'm asking for someone to explain it if they don't mind. :p I've never read the books (I probably could, I'll see if my Library has them) or watched the show, so I don't get it. I WANT to get it though, I'm interested in seeing why the impact was so big on viewers for the show. So if anyone could explain it to me that'd be fantastic.

You realize you're talking to a 16 year old right?

What does my age have to do with anything? I even said in the post

I probably have to be invested in the show to get it.

Someone mind explaining to me what the big deal was?

I know that it sounds silly, and I know I don't understand it because I have prior experience or knowledge of the series, and I just want someone to explain it to me.

Dude, we were all 16 once, but I find it safe to consider that my 16 year old self not so .... ignorant of the obvious or myself.

Yes, maybe my post was ignorant, but that's because I am admittedly ignorant to something I haven't and can't watch. I know NOTHING about it, I acknowledged and accepted my ignorance to the show in the post, I am ignorant and will remain ignorant unless someone informs me, that is how life works isn't it? and that's what I requested, to be informed. I want to see the situation from the perspective of a fan of the show, and hopefully understand for myself because I find it interesting that people took it with such anger.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You've never watched the show, then watched something from the end of the third season, and wondered why you don't understand the context of importance of what you just watched?

Seriously?

You realize you're talking to a 16 year old right?

That's why I want to understand the context, and why I'm asking for someone to explain it if they don't mind. :p I've never read the books (I probably could, I'll see if my Library has them) or watched the show, so I don't get it. I WANT to get it though, I'm interested in seeing why the impact was so big on viewers for the show. So if anyone could explain it to me that'd be fantastic.
I could explain it to you, but it would make any more sense.

It's 29 episodes into a very complex drama, a couple sentences isn't going to make you understand how something impacts not only narrative, but how it affects people that actually watch the show and/or read the books.

Perhaps someday you'll watch the show and/or read the books, and then it will make sense.

Yes, maybe my post was ignorant, but that's because I am admittedly ignorant to something I haven't and can't watch. I know NOTHING about it, I acknowledged and accepted my ignorance to the show in the post, I am ignorant and will remain ignorant unless someone informs me, that is how life works isn't it? and that's what I requested, to be informed. I want to see the situation from the perspective of a fan of the show, and hopefully understand for myself because I find it interesting that people took it with such anger.
You become less ignorant about a form of narrative by experience that narrative, from beginning to end. Watching something in the middle and having someone trying to explain it to you doesn't mean you experienced the narrative.

I could explain it to you, but it would make any more sense.

It's 29 episodes into a very complex drama, a couple sentences isn't going to make you understand how something impacts not only narrative, but how it affects people that actually watch the show and/or read the books.

Perhaps someday you'll watch the show and/or read the books, and then it will make sense.

I think I'll try and read the books then, sounds like a fun experience, getting to know why it brought out the emotions it did. I always just find it really interesting when a fanbase gets extremely passionate for something, and I always want to understand why.

I think I'll try and read the books then, sounds like a fun experience, getting to know why it brought out the emotions it did. I always just find it really interesting when a fanbase gets extremely passionate for something, and I always want to understand why.

There's even two OT's for that and none of them are this one :D

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Oh yeah so speaking of Game Of Thrones, since my parents were out of the house I decided to break a rule and watch the
Wedding
thing in Game Of Thrones everyone was talking about a few days ago. Put on my headphones, locked the door and watched a 7 minute video on it on Youtube.

I don't get it, all it was was
people dying, and a wolf. RIP in Peace wolf :(
What was the big deal about? Maybe it's just because I don't watch Game Of Thrones, but it didn't seem very big to me. I probably have to be invested in the show to get it.

Someone mind explaining to me what the big deal was?

This was a few days ago that I did this, I completely forgot to ask this until Ghazi brought up Game Of Thrones just now. :p
10/10 trolling

lure people into your spoiler by making them believe it's not a big deal

There's even two OT's for that and none of them are this one :D

What is this OT for then? :eek: No but seriously, almost everything we have to discuss here already has a specific thread for said discussion.

We want to discuss the Xbox One or Playstation 4? There are threads on Gaming Side for it. Want to discuss Game Of Thrones? There's a thread for it? NBA? Thread for it. Halo? Thread for it. That sweet new game that came out just now? Thread for it.

This thread really does serve no purpose and we really do need to reunite HolaGAF and Halo 4 OT and just have HaloGAF back.

10/10 trolling

lure people into your spoiler by making them believe it's not a big deal

That wasn't what I was attempting, and to be honest I was considering not even putting it between spoilers because it was a while ago already, but decided I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't watched it yet, But if that's how my post comes off I'll fix and edit it.

That wasn't what I was attempting, and to be honest I was considering not even putting it between spoilers because it was a while ago already, but decided don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't watched it yet, But if that's how my post comes off I'll fix and edit it.
Jesus H Christ does this thread say Game of Thrones OT?!

How could you even consider that?

Delete the text in your previous post btw.
So I need to watch this show; but I can't afford HBO Go, nor do I own television service. What are my options?
Digital purchases (iTunes, Amazon, Xbox) and DVD/blu-ray sets are the only legal option if you don't have HBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom