• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gui_PT

So I been thinkin'

Ain't been having a whole lot of fun with H4. Being a campaign guy, would anyone be interested in having some co-op fun occasionally?

Edit: I mean non Halo 4 co-op

Jesus H Christ does this thread say Game of Thrones OT?!

How could you even consider that?

Delete the text in your previous post btw.

Digital purchases (iTunes, Amazon, Xbox) and DVD/blu-ray sets are the only legal option if you don't have HBO.

Seriously. GTFO out of here with that shit if you don't understand how spoilers work. If I wasn't caught up with the books or show that was spoiled I would be pissed.

Jesus H Christ does this thread say Game of Thrones OT?!

How could you even consider that?

Delete the text in your previous post btw.

Digital purchases (iTunes, Amazon, Xbox) and DVD/blu-ray sets are the only legal option if you don't have HBO.

I considered it but didn't do it because I realized how dumb that would have been of me. and what text? :|

Seriously. GTFO out of here with that shit if you don't understand how spoilers work. If I wasn't caught up with the books or show that was spoiled I would be pissed.

... but I didn't do it? I put them between spoilers from the get go. I was just saying I almost considered not putting it in spoilers because it was a while ago now and I would assume most are caught up, But I know many might not be, so I spoiled it because I don't want to ruin anything for anyone.

I feel like I'm digging myself into a bigger hole right now :p I'm sorry if I spoiled anything for anyone, I didn't mean too, and I tried my best to not by putting it in a spoiler field, and not referring to it directly. I'm sorry guys.

I considered it but didn't do it because I realized how dumb that would have been of me. and what text? :|

... but I didn't do it? I put them between spoilers from the get go. I was just saying I almost considered not putting it in spoilers because it was a while ago now and I would assume most are caught up, But I know many might not be, so I spoiled it because I don't want to ruin anything for anyone.

I feel like I'm digging myself into a bigger hole right now :p I'm sorry if I spoiled anything for anyone, I didn't mean too, and I tried my best to not by putting it in a spoiler field, and not referring to it directly. I'm sorry guys.

Even tagged (poorly), they don't belong in this thread.

Madness

Crossposting from other thread but my views:

I've been lurking a lot of the other communities, especially during and after E3. They were wildly off topic at times as well. Often times rarely discussing the games but about the industry etc. It's just weird limiting discussion to two threads. There is so much overlap in discussion. 

I think the mods were just upset at the insults, the trolling or meta discussion as opposed to being off topic.

I'd like to see a merge eventually. 

Halo |OT18| We Were Just Missing in Action...

We can all self moderate ourselves as well. Just need to tone down on insults, trolling or heavy metal discussion no?

Then again I think there's a lot of people who really no longer play any sort of Halo, so I can understand why they wouldn't want a thread merge.

Alright HolaGAF, I have a very simple contest for you.

Design a weapon for use in an arena shooter - specifically, a crossbow that utilizes elements of a cello. Can be anywhere from a speed painting to scribbling on a napkin.

I'll leave this open until Friday or Saturday; winner gets an Anniversary Map Pack code.

This was just a thread to shovel the Halo fanbase of GAF into since the actual OT's got meta heavy.

The thread is entirely composed of off-topic discussion. You know where there is off-topic discussion? In off-topic.

Does it make sense to have a Halo topic for Halo fans to discuss everything non-Halo? Is there an offtopic NFL/Beer/MMA/POP/etc thread? No there isn't. So why is this still here?

When I look at the Off Topic Community section, how many videogame community threads do I see listed?

One.

Why is that?

This thread is a bunch of things and they all lead to the same place which is, funnily enough, the opposite of what the split was meant to achieve.

The problem with the old way was we got too meta and we became too insular. Fair point I guess. We had been warned on various occasions and were told to be a little more welcoming. This had people scratching their heads. Why not jst get rid of the bad apples instead of moving the tree if the bad apples were the problem?

Now we're here. Mostly because we might not discuss Halo for a while. That's the thing about the Gaming Community threads. They are places to play the game with other Gaffers and to converse about those games. We are in a weird limbo whereby a lot of us play older games or don't even play at all and just wanna talk.

The result?

We're an arguably far more insular community. Who is going to look to join this thread? People who don't play Halo 4 who want to talk to other people who don't play Halo 4?

Pretty much covers it.

Ramirez

Lol@ that avatar video, Christ dude. Your parents worked hard for that money and you squandered it on that bullshit? C'mon son.

Madness

Explain how it's pointless and why we're better off the way we were.

Wouldn't say it's pointless but we're a community split for no real reason. As if the other gaming communities never went off topic at times. No one discusses a specific game all the time.

The other thread is not even much about Halo 4 as opposed to Halo in general. It's also got discussions about the industry, Future of Halo etc.

This thread is sort of a hodge podge mix of everything, but even then, there is a lot of Halo and industry discussion here. And while the level of discourse is better, half the time, people miss out on discussions etc.

Just need better self moderation I guess. The other thread is the Halo 4 specific thread. Where's the Halo community thread where we can discuss the community at large? Is that the place or is this it?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wouldn't say it's pointless but we're a community split for no real reason. As if the other gaming communities never went off topic at times. No one discusses a specific game all the time.

The other thread is not even much about Halo 4 as opposed to Halo in general. It's also got discussions about the industry, Future of Halo etc.

This thread is sort of a hodge podge mix of everything, but even then, there is a lot of Halo and industry discussion here. And while the level of discourse is better, half the time, people miss out on discussions etc.

Just need better self moderation I guess. The other thread is the Halo 4 specific thread. Where's the Halo community thread where we can discuss the community at large? Is that the place or is this it?

We were split because of all the OT and meta discussion along with news getting buried.

The other thread was very much about Halo 4 until E3 sidetracked it

So lower the level of discourse to people don't miss out. WORTH IT!

The only way the other thread will work again is if it's heavily moderated.

Isn't this posting style annoying?

Tawpgun

Why does anyone wanna go back to a thread moving absurdly fast because of shitty posts. Everyone was complaining about the state of HaloGAF before the split. I can actually keep up with it now for one.

CyReN

Why does anyone wanna go back to a thread moving absurdly fast because of shitty posts. Everyone was complaining about the state of HaloGAF before the split. I can actually keep up with it now for one.

I've stopped coming more and more, 2 threads is annoying already. Can't wait for more with the sub-set of new Halo games + Destiny + Titanfall!!!!!!!!

Fuchsdh

Crossposting from other thread but my views:

I've been lurking a lot of the other communities, especially during and after E3. They were wildly off topic at times as well. Often times rarely discussing the games but about the industry etc. It's just weird limiting discussion to two threads. There is so much overlap in discussion. 

I think the mods were just upset at the insults, the trolling or meta discussion as opposed to being off topic.

I'd like to see a merge eventually. 

Halo |OT18| We Were Just Missing in Action...

We can all self moderate ourselves as well. Just need to tone down on insults, trolling or heavy metal discussion no?

Then again I think there's a lot of people who really no longer play any sort of Halo, so I can understand why they wouldn't want a thread merge.

I'd say we should really push for it once we stumble on through the Halo 4 |OT|. Let the mods have their penance time from us or whatever.

...See? Now we've gotten even more meta and insular. This just doesn't work.

Booshka

Halo 4 really fucked things up. HaloGAF wants to talk about Halo, sorta, with people that play Halo, sorta. Halo 4 is so bad it kills threads.

TCKaos

A game that has its own Off topic thread is fucking ridiculous.

HaloGAF is fucking ridiculous. It's large enough to warrant its own |OT| in Off Topic.

Just counting the Halo |OT|s (Not Reach, or 4, or 4 Forge, or any of the threads we made for news gaming side) we had roughly 322,000 posts over the course of 491 days, which averages out to roughly 656 posts per day. By the time we got to |OT17| we had nearly 1000 posts per day.

You and I and everyone else knows that there is clearly not that much Halo to talk about. We should have been split before Kyle made |OT13|. Far more popular games are on |OT3| - |OT5|, but they're also talking about the game, unlike HaloGAF, explaining how Starcraft II or League of Legends don't explode to nearly twenty fucking threads.

Karl2177

Ban the people who make shitty posts. How is this so difficult to understand?

Madness

We were split because of all the OT and meta discussion along with news getting buried.

The other thread was very much about Halo 4 until E3 sidetracked it

So lower the level of discourse to people don't miss out. WORTH IT!

The only way the other thread will work again is if it's heavily moderated.

Isn't this posting style annoying?

Well you said you scroll past my posts anyway lol. I'd like to know just what news was shared in the OT that was so news worthy it should have warranted it's own thread before? Obviously if a Halo fan finds some kind of Halo, 343 related news, he'd share it here first and then make a new thread no?

It was the community OT. I don't know, I think both threads suffer as a result. There is so much overlap. Where do the people who want to take about games and Halo and the future of it go?

If there are some problem posters, warn them or ban them. Why close the entire thread? Sure other threads like Starcraft, LOL and others are more on topic or discuss the games, but that's because the fan base was largely happy with the game.

Let's see what happens I guess. I just think it's time for a new OT, with not only news on h4, but the upcoming Spartan Assault and Halo 5(Halo One) etc.

wwm0nkey

lol. The only bans were from clear cut morons like Starwolf or the one guy who wanted to shit on Frank's face. There were hardly any disciplinary bans, and when there was it wasn't because of actions in the Halo thread itself.

I almost completely forgot about Starwolf......

Were it so easy.

Unfortunately, you cant just ban someone for being a terrible poster.

Speaking of which!

Crossposting this from the Drawing-A-Day thread but I whipped up a UI idea for the game start/loadout screen for my game.

Granted, it wouldn't work on consoles unless I shrunk it a ton because of all the dead space TVs have. This is in no way meant to be final; the generic Shuffle logo is to pick a random class, and the Primer is actually using a blueprint I made for the AR in Murder Miners. Your "Natal Bonus" is the additional effect you get on your two affinity weapons depending on what class you choose. Spacing in "Class Traits" is weird because you can change individual loadout equipment and player traits per the 8 classes, so in the event that you make different player traits per classes, you can display up to 5 of these changes in the Class Traits box.

I left some space for Red Team and Blue Team because the multiplayer component can have up to 16 players, so there's no sense in trying to clog that corner up with anything else.

wwm0nkey

Pretty excited for Spark, thing has huge potential for cool shit being made.

The fact you can share brains and pretty much everything with people really means you can get a small team together and make a cool game without having to take turns on the same Xbox.

Soooo happy its free and coming to 360.

The fact you can share brains and pretty much everything with people really means you can get a small team together and make a cool game without having to take turns on the same Xbox.

Soooo happy its free and coming to 360.

Wait, it's free AND coming to the 360? In the video it only said it's coming to Win8 and XB1..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom