• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spark's creation tools are quite nice, although I don't like the art. I hope that the game underneath it is fun (it looked rough at the MS conference), but regardless I'll try it out on PC since it's free.

Also, wmm0nkey's avatar keeps showing as Zeouterlimits' avatar for me. Not sure why.

DeadNames

Banned
Bioshock Infinite is one of the best games I've ever played.

The atmosphere is awesome. I loved seeing the city of Columbia as a pseudo-utopian city. The religious and racial prejudice really set the tone. The skyhook was a ton of fun. I will never forget the first part of the game
Seeing Columbia and the baptism
. The soundtrack is amazing, and the easter eggs are awesome. The skyhook is a ton of fun.

However one thing that I didn't like was the lack of emphasis on the special types of enemies.

SPOILERS

I couldn't help but be disappointed when the Siren was actually a ghost of Lady Comstock and the Boys of Silence are just one thing in the end, and they actually operated completely unlike the way they were described. The motorized patriots were wicked cool and were fun to fight.

If anyone hasn't picked this game up, do it. You will not regret it.

wwm0nkey

Wow that actually looks pretty sick.

Spark's creation tools are quite nice, although I don't like the art. I hope that the game underneath it is fun (it looked rough at the MS conference), but regardless I'll try it out on PC since it's free.

Also, wmm0nkey's avatar keeps showing as Zeouterlimits' avatar for me. Not sure why.

You guys should watch this....I am very very impressed.

Also thats weird, Xbox Live has been slow/messing up for me for the past week so I wonder if that has something to do with it?

IHaveIce

Banned
Lol a guy I knew back then just messaged me, because he knows I like videogames. He says he works for a testing company and already saw Halo 5.

I laughed and closed the window.

Of course Halo 5 probably not even in Alpha is gametested in spain.

on a "international first touch preview by 343"

Karl2177

Were it so easy.

Unfortunately, you cant just ban someone for being a terrible poster.
If you can ban someone for calling one's own self fat, then I'm pretty sure you can ban for not using common sense while posting or diarrhea of the fingers.

Maybe you had the right idea by tossing everyone on the ignore list.

It makes going through the thread faster, but doesn't prevent poo-poo from slipping through. People like to quote dolts, for reasons that I don't understand.

BTW: I posted it on twitter because it had nothing to do with Halo, but someone thought it was a good idea to further meta discussion by posting it in the thread.

gAg CruSh3r

i1OqYlEgCguXA.gif

Play the last level of Halo 3 on legendary, and go to the terminal.

I wouldn't say Mendicant Bias is 'unsympathetic'.

Also, there is a huge additional chapter hidden on waypoint to Silentium; in which there is some dialogue with Mendicant Bias... which seems VERY relevant.
I am way late to the party, but hidden chapter? Do you mean Rebirth?

Edit.: I see, it is the last 5 minutes of the Rebirth audiobook. The location which is described in the hidden chapter is a lot like the area shown in the teaser trailer.

Gui_PT

Tried playing a match

Only one that went positive. 2nd best player in my team went 6-12. Some guys didn't even get a single kill.

Nope.

Fuchsdh

Oh man I still need to start reading Silentium. Its been sitting in my closet for a few months now.
You really should. After reading it, my first thought is that I would have been happy if they stopped the Halo franchise right then and there. It's an amazing bit of work.

Omni

Oh why are people so stupid in online gaming? It frustrates me.

I mean, I don't usually care if people are intentionally screwing around or whatever - I do it myself quite a lot. But if your whole squad in BF3 keeps running into the same damn hallway to get mowed down by someone with a bipoded LMG I do have to question whether or not you're even old enough to play the game. Why even do it? Repeating the same shitty strategy over and over isn't gonna make it work magically. Operation Metro is the worst map in any game ever for shitty teammate strategies. "Oh someone poked their head through the doors and immediately got killed? Well I better take a look too. Maybe I can do better!" And I'm not even exaggerating, I saw this happen at least thirty god damn times earlier tonight. I could condition my dog faster than some of these kids are learning.

And don't even get me started on using the mini map. I swear that every single player that gets put on my team has a big fucking whole on the bottom left corner of their tv. Doesn't matter what game it is (halo, bf3.. Whatever), no one seems to be able to look at it. Everyone is completely oblivious to the information there and instead they're just focused on running into hallways and getting killed. "On my map it says an enemy is hiding behind that crate straight in front of me and that he just killed my teammate. Who cares?! Ill just run off to the other objective. Pew pew pew I'm Rambo"

Asking for ammo and getting it is like winning the motherfucking lottery in this game too. I had to trap a support player in a box for a whole two minutes while spamming the back button before he realised that I wanted ammo. Ehhhh

smh.

Tawpgun

Oh why are people so stupid in online gaming? It frustrates me.

I mean, I don't usually care if people are intentionally screwing around or whatever - I do it myself quite a lot. But if your whole squad in BF3 keeps running into the same damn hallway to get mowed down by someone with a bipoded LMG I do have to question whether or not you're even old enough to play the game. Why even do it? Repeating the same shitty strategy over and over isn't gonna make it work magically. Operation Metro is the worst map in any game ever for shitty teammate strategies. "Oh someone poked their head through the doors and immediately got killed? Well I better take a look too. Maybe I can do better!" And I'm not even exaggerating, I saw this happen at least thirty god damn times earlier tonight. I could condition my dog faster than some of these kids are learning.

And don't even get me started on using the mini map. I swear that every single player that gets put on my team has a big fucking whole on the bottom left corner of their tv. Doesn't matter what game it is (halo, bf3.. Whatever), no one seems to be able to look at it. Everyone is completely oblivious to the information there and instead they're just focused on running into hallways and getting killed. "On my map it says an enemy is hiding behind that crate straight in front of me and that he just killed my teammate. Who cares?! Ill just run off to the other objective. Pew pew pew I'm Rambo"

Asking for ammo and getting it is like winning the motherfucking lottery in this game too. I had to trap a support player in a box for a whole two minutes while spamming the back button before he realised that I wanted ammo. Ehhhh

smh.
It's because of the lack of communication due to how BF3 is set up as well as people not having mics or not being in gamechat

Coincidentally enough, I was playing BF3 last night. We had 6 people on and managed to separate into 2 squads of 3 players. All of us in party chat so we could communicate together.

One communicating squad can decide the match. Two was just overkill. It was beautiful to see what working together can do in that game. Sometimes me and a friend play and its just us two, and we would play Conquest on the Endgame maps, in which if you hold the C flag you get access to a paratroop/IFV drop. So if its just us two we can singlehandedly (doublehandedly?) hold the C flag while our team is able to parachute onto any flag. When this happens he runs medic and I run recon. I can take out any far off threats and make sure we have a spawn beacon set, and he can take out any near threats as well as revive me. If a vehicle happens to come up we switch to the Explosive XBOW bolt and working together can take out a tank.

Fucking love this game.

wwm0nkey

Modders have made Gun Game due to the new Megalo stuff. They can now put custom text at the bottom

The "fancy green effect" is the Regicide armor effect. I created a hidden trait set which is set up to give you that effect, and the trait set gets applied for a short moment of time to create the flash. It's actually somewhere around 5 game ticks right now, but I'm having issues getting it to sync over the network sometimes, so I might just make it one second (if that still looks good).

Assassinations, beat downs, and stick kills demote the player you killed. Suicides also demote you. You get a Vengeance medal for demoting someone (because it sounds cool and can't normally be obtained in this gametype since ordnance is disabled), and there's a custom stat for how many vengeances a player earns. I've seen games where people have gotten as many as 7 vengeances; they make the game a lot tougher especially considering how easy it is to stick someone sometimes.

Players only get promoted if they get weapon kills or assassinate someone. This means that melees or grenade kills won't promote you.

There's a bug in the game engine apparently (as far as I can tell, at least) where Sticky Detonator kills from the grave don't register as being Sticky Detonator kills, so you don't get promoted for that (and it actually happens somewhat often). I'm still considering what I want to do about this, but I may just end up making all kills from the grave promote you if I can't find a decent workaround.

On the topic of bugs, I encountered a bug during testing where you can't drop someone's weapon in the middle of an assassination animation (when the kill event occurs). In order to get around this, I had to make it repeatedly try to drop your weapon and then check if it actually dropped before giving you your new one (with the exception of the Extractor and the Flagnum, there's no "replace weapon" feature in MegaloScript - you have to drop the player's old weapon and give them their new one).

The video doesn't show this because I added it after we made it, but if you're on level 0 and another player demotes you (meaning that you can't just suicide to get this), then you go to level -1 and get an Incineration Cannon as a handicap. (Just for fun.)

After you kill someone, there's a 1-second (and I'll probably make that customizable) "cooldown" period during which you still have your original weapon. The purpose of it is to prevent quick multikills from making you get promoted twice (so e.g. if you kill two people with one rocket, you only move up one level). There's a trait set called "Cooldown Traits" which is applied during that time period in order to block any extra damage or multikills, but you could edit it from the in-game menu to give the player a temporary radar, for example.

There's supposed to be an overtime system where you get 10 (again, this will be configurable) seconds to try and demote someone after they go through all 18 levels in case they got stuck with a plasma grenade or something (yes, it actually is possible to do, someone managed it in a real game once), but it's broken in the version that was shown in the video (you hear the announcer say "overtime" and then the round immediately ends...oops). There will be an "Overtime Leader Traits" trait set so you could stick a waypoint over the person.

There are three modes of weapon progression which can be set from the game options menu: Weak to Strong, Strong to Weak, and Random. The video shows the Random progression mode, where the weapon progression is randomized every game (everyone in the game gets weapons in the same order though, and each weapon still appears once). Random is generally the most fair way of playing, because with the Weak to Strong mode, for example, whoever can get kills the fastest gets a huge advantage over other players and you end up having games where someone just destroys everyone else. The Random mode also keeps things interesting because then you never know what weapon you're going to get next or what weapon someone who's ahead of you might have.

I'm not currently planning on adding any ability to customize the weapon progression beyond that because adding it in would be too complicated and the game limits you to only 16 custom menu options. As much as I would love to add this, I'm not sure how feasible it would be.

There's obviously the "development build" HUD widget, but if you look closely, the text changes to ">>> New Weapon Incoming <<<" during the cooldown period (this is actually a second widget). This will become much more apparent when the "development build" watermark is removed.

We found through testing that the gametype works best on a small map. Abandon, Adrift, Haven, and Solace work really well. If anyone would be interested in forging a map just for this gametype, I would be very excited. Remember that weapon pickup and vehicles are obviously disabled.

I went through the entire process of designing, creating, and testing an entirely new gametype. As an overall statement, gametype creation is actually a lot harder than it looks. I'm not even talking about the scripting part of it - in general, gametypes have to be tested extensively and have to constantly be modified in order to ensure that they're fun to play and that they're fair for everyone. The gametype you saw in the video is actually very different from what we originally had - the testers who played the original version had to completely re-adapt to it. I have an understanding now of the kind of crap that 343/CA has to go through to make these things, and it really gave me a different perspective on them and how hard they're working to improve this game. They pretty much put their testers through hell in order to make Dominion, and I couldn't even imagine how much testing they had to do with the weapon tuning in order to make sure that it actually improved things. I'm just gonna be straight up honest here, people really don't appreciate everything that 343 has been doing for this game, and I'm hoping that this will change things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom